Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Raised By Birds posted:

Shouldn't that be "swerve," not "swirve"?

It's cartoon onomatopoeia. Doesn't your car ever go "swirve?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MixMastaTJ posted:

It's cartoon onomatopoeia. Doesn't your car ever go "swirve?"

It's when the car swerves, but at the same time the wheels lose traction an squeak heavily.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

What is that mouth. :stare:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Raised By Birds posted:

What is that mouth. :stare:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

He ought to apologize to all of us, not just Sparky.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jurgan posted:

I'm talking about a substitute that it indistinguishable in taste and costs less money. After a while, restaurants wouldn't even sell the real stuff because it would cost more. Yeah, spite is a powerful emotion, but there's only so long it can hold up against self-interest.

They actually already have something like that! The Impossible burger: https://impossiblefoods.com/food/

It looks really good, and I'd love to buy it once it's more accessible and readily available.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Beef is also about 1/3 to 1/2 the price is should be in the US, thanks to massive subsidies.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Ahhh that's classic Bennett.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They actually already have something like that! The Impossible burger: https://impossiblefoods.com/food/

It looks really good, and I'd love to buy it once it's more accessible and readily available.

While I think switching away from ground beef wouldn't be too challenging, it's the cuts of meat that I think are a real hurdle. IE: If you didn't tell me you could probably fool me with a soy-burger, but I don't think you could make a soy brisket.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cant cook creole bream posted:

How is that not already a law and what are the arguments against it?
I could kinda understand it if it was a gaping hole in the law system nobody ever bothered with. But they actively contemplated it and decided that such a law isn't needed. Why?

rights, probably

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

For those who are wondering, this is what Snoodians look like.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I dont know posted:

For those who are wondering, this is what Snoodians look like.

Please don't insult our heroic police officers by calling them "snoodians" tia #clapback

betaraywil posted:

Ahhh that's classic Bennett.

I don't see a buxom young lady???

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

T-man posted:

I don't see a buxom young lady???
That's Horsey. Classic Bennett would be if the letters were peeling off to spell "securITy BADge"

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Heh, that guy hosed a pig and also the UK.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

I honestly can't tell if this is supposed to be pro- or anti- Inslee.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
"With apologies to Schulz", or another popular cartoonist, might've been a funny joke, once. But every time I've seen it, it's being used to excuse being lazy. I hate seeing it

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I specifically mentioned the Impossible Burger. I've had it, and it's good. My point is that with extra R&D funding I imagine it could get to a point where it's cheaper than beef, but it's not there yet. Growing wheat takes far less resources than growing cattle, so it seems inevitable it'll get there, but extra research funding could speed the process up.

From the minds that brought you "gun control is bad because it's represented by a gun" comes "worrying about air pollution is so stupid I'll spray it with air pollutants."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jesus, that comic is voting age.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Somewhere, Mr. Henry Payne gets an unexpected erection. "Vroom?" he murmurs querulously.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I mean if we want to run with this metaphor Trump traveled and met with him, NK didn’t entertain the meeting at all and never had delegates show up for it, got Trump to talk about how wonderful he is, and despite promising to do nothing at all we’re still pulling out of joint military training with South Korea. Trump tried to kick Kim’s football in this metaphor. Multiple times.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jurgan posted:

From the minds that brought you "gun control is bad because it's represented by a gun" comes "worrying about air pollution is so stupid I'll spray it with air pollutants."

Yes, I'm sure Priggee of all people thinks air pollution is good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh...Ramirez doesn't agree with Trump that Kim is a great guy?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nuclear take: why can't nathan phillips, wall builder, just help us all get along

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

My exact feelings on Inslee

"Well, he's the only one who seems to be taking this seriously, I guess he's the frontrunner for my vote, but really, Inslee of all people?"

And I'm a WA resident

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't even know who Inslee is but anyone who would actually campaign on global warming as their core issue would definitely have my vote.

Probably.

I mean given how things seem to go these days I'll find out he's a scumbag in about a day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even know who Inslee is but anyone who would actually campaign on global warming as their core issue would definitely have my vote.

Probably.

I mean given how things seem to go these days I'll find out he's a scumbag in about a day.

The mood here in WA is he has his heart in the right place but is kinda ineffective as an executive

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 3, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

That's Horsey. Classic Bennett would be if the letters were peeling off to spell "securITy BADge"
Classic Bennett would be a good cartoon.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

duz posted:

Yes, I'm sure Priggee of all people thinks air pollution is good.

gently caress me, I saw the giant bumper and read this as Payne without even looking at the signature.

... I’ll see myself out.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

frankenfreak posted:

Those are signed "Schultz". Obviously that's not the creator the Peanuts whose name was "Schulz" without the t. Are we to believe they were drawn *heh* by Howard Schultz himself? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

- Bruce Tinsley

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pants Donkey posted:

IMD dropped Ramirez a few years ago, which says something but I dunno what.

He's now drawing for Sheldon Adelson's paper in Las Vegas. Welfare wingnut works!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
2024 read-along: Bovine growth hormone enhanced breasts

Oh, all the wonderful things we learn about Julia:

• She's eleven years younger than Rallston. (37 / 2) + 7 = 25.5. She's exactly, exactly within Rall's Rallston's creep zone.
  • She's white, but she looks "vaguely ethnic" and has "bovine growth hormone enhanced breasts." Her looks have helped her career. Comfortable.
  • Her father is alive and currently working as a CEO at a subsidiary of the company she now works at. Comfortable.
  • She's in "the executive vice president's inner circle."
  • She doesn't remember history.
  • No-one actually demands that she do any real work. Comfortable.
  • She hates her bosses, not because she has reason to, but because she's supposed to. Hold on to this one. I'm gonna talk about it.

And the Rallston compare and contrast:

• She only cares about partying and having fun, whereas Rallston only cares about partying and having fun but within designated partying and having fun hours. Rall actually points out that they're the same here.
  • Rallston considers her to be an idiot because she doesn't consider the consequences of her actions. He buys a hyper-illegal version of breakout PONG for fun, but she's the idiot.
  • Rallston gives himself quizzes about history, Julia doesn't care because it ended before she was born.
  • Despite being incredibly wealthy, she expects Rallston's "kickass lawyer" to protect her from the consequences of... whatever they're doing that's illegal? Fraternising outside of their work class?

Okay, that highlighted one up there- remember that this is a dystopia. Julia is an aspect of that dystopia. Which means that Rall is complaining / forecasting here. I'm gonna leave aside all of the other stuff- categorised vaguely as normal creepy sexism, holy gently caress out of left field sexism, weird body policing, complaints about nepotism, and complaints about young people not working hard enough- and just ask what the gently caress Rall, hero of the people, is trying to say by complaining about "people who automatically hate their superiors because they're told to."

Also it's nice that he called Julia, who has enhanced her breasts for reasons unclear, someone who is not a "real victim of oppression."

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

How is that not already a law and what are the arguments against it?
I could kinda understand it if it was a gaping hole in the law system nobody ever bothered with. But they actively contemplated it and decided that such a law isn't needed. Why?

Muh liberties?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Somfin posted:

Also it's nice that he called Julia, who has enhanced her breasts for reasons unclear, someone who is not a "real victim of oppression."

"She doesn't deserve what she has. She's dumb. She doesn't understand the class struggle. She only got her position because of affirmative action and because the people hiring her thought she was attractive.

She's not oppressed."

What Tinsley means here is that journalists dream about being able to use the word "racist" and not have their outlet reprimand them over it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jurgan posted:

I specifically mentioned the Impossible Burger. I've had it, and it's good. My point is that with extra R&D funding I imagine it could get to a point where it's cheaper than beef, but it's not there yet. Growing wheat takes far less resources than growing cattle, so it seems inevitable it'll get there, but extra research funding could speed the process up.

They changed the recipe. It's not made with wheat any more, it's soy.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Man it's weird how all those things fit together in your mind Tinsley

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somfin posted:

• Rallston gives himself quizzes about history, Julia doesn't care because it ended before she was born.

Rallston also got annoyed sitting on the bus when an old guy tried to tell him stories about things that happened in the past, and complained that he didn't give a poo poo about history. You might remember it because it's the 2024 version of the scene in 1984 where Winston explicitly goes out looking for an old guy to tell him stories about things that happened in the past because he desperately wants to know some objective truth!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Somfin posted:

[*]She hates her bosses, not because she has reason to, but because she's supposed to.
This is especially dumb considering how Rallston also has zero class consciousness.
Also: called it, she's ahead of Rall because she's a woman who beguiled her bosses with her boobs. loving hell Rall.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Thank goodness the old white guy is finally here to do it, Horsey. There are no other dem candidates who want to fight global warming. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

sheep-dodger posted:

This is especially dumb considering how Rallston also has zero class consciousness.
Also: called it, she's ahead of Rall because she's a woman who beguiled her bosses with her boobs. loving hell Rall.

A combination of exotic looks, whiteness, enhanced breasts, and nepotism.

E: Also, yeah, that's exactly what you would expect from someone who has absolutely no concept of why bosses are reviled but is pretty sure they shouldn't be. You know, the kind of person who is pretty sure they'll be a boss but the good kind some day.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 3, 2019