Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Technowolf posted:

He's important in a lot of early BT novels, like the Warrior trilogy.

But that's the one I can't buy in e-book form and the paperbacks sell for $100 or something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Noob question, but does anyone have any tips for the early macros game? As in just got the Argos.

It feels like I'm bleeding money and time because my mechs get damaged and then spend a month each in the shop between every mission.

Upgrade the mechs repair ability if that's the problem, then a second bay to hold backups do you don't have too much downtime.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Noob question, but does anyone have any tips for the early macros game? As in just got the Argos.

It feels like I'm bleeding money and time because my mechs get damaged and then spend a month each in the shop between every mission.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battletech-tactics-guide-line-of-sight-control.1130808/

Line of Sight and initiative control are key to the point of letting you take total crap stock units and walk out with no meaningful damage.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

rocketrobot posted:

Did anyone finish reading Unlimited Honor? Why the hell should I care who Quintus Allard is? Did he show up before? I was still expecting the planet to get warcrimed at the end.

He showed up in the first or second novella.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

rocketrobot posted:

But that's the one I can't buy in e-book form and the paperbacks sell for $100 or something stupid.

The Warrior books are available on Kindle now, at least in the USA.

https://www.amazon.com/BattleTech-L...=gateway&sr=8-1

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The Warrior books are available on Kindle now, at least in the USA.

https://www.amazon.com/BattleTech-L...=gateway&sr=8-1

Oh hey, thanks. I was looking for that yesterday. I have most of my other BT books on google play books. It's odd that they're split up. I'll assume different publisher agreements or something.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Ugh goddamnit, I drew a "go kill the heavy mech!" mission, and it sent me a drat tank. Rude. :mad: I need to get heavy mechs!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ugh goddamnit, I drew a "go kill the heavy mech!" mission, and it sent me a drat tank. Rude. :mad: I need to get heavy mechs!

Those missions are the worst because they're just a giant wet fart no matter how it ends.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Playing the vanilla game campaign for the first time. No save scumming, so dead is dead. Dekker and Behemoth ate it back in the mediums, and a dropship sat on Sumo's Highlander near the end, but not biggies. Me, Glitch & Stitch roll into the final mission to wrap things up. 2nd round Victoria AC20s poor old Glitch in the head. Dead is dead.

:xcom:

Now to mod this to hell and back to break things up a bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the game is basically every Mary Sue mercenary TT campaign that any middle/high schooler ever played. The lore leans heavily in the direction of modification being hard, unusual, and expensive, but there ARE rules out there for it and the vast majority of the time you end up seeing them used by hardscrabble merc units. The in-universe explanation is :words:

Counterpoint - if I want to give my Atlas a crotch-mounted AC/20 and JJs so I can leap in behind mechs and gently caress them to death with 200kg of red hot deathspunk then I should be able to do so, because it's fun. I'll take fun over realism in my games nine times out of ten.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Nothing about BT is realistic anyway, all the battles take place at Civil War distances in spite of using goddamn fusion powered lasers and guided missiles and poo poo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Amechwarrior posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battletech-tactics-guide-line-of-sight-control.1130808/

Line of Sight and initiative control are key to the point of letting you take total crap stock units and walk out with no meaningful damage.

Cheers!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Chair In A Basket posted:

Playing the vanilla game campaign for the first time. No save scumming, so dead is dead. Dekker and Behemoth ate it back in the mediums, and a dropship sat on Sumo's Highlander near the end, but not biggies. Me, Glitch & Stitch roll into the final mission to wrap things up. 2nd round Victoria AC20s poor old Glitch in the head. Dead is dead.

:xcom:

Now to mod this to hell and back to break things up a bit.

What happened to your casket? Also you can just ironman mode for the achievemnt if youre one of those people. (I am)

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Nothing about BT is realistic anyway, all the battles take place at Civil War distances in spite of using goddamn fusion powered lasers and guided missiles and poo poo.

No one wants to play Calculus: Giant Robo.

Wait, I'd play that game. poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lmao they still havent fixed that

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
There is a mod that fixes that.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/202

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

My current career mode game is the first playthrough where I got a Cataphract before I was up to my armpits in assault mechs and Orions and had no use for it.

It's pretty nice! It definitely felt like a bit of a step up from all the 65T heavies I'd been using. I also just like the look of it in the game. Only real problem with it is the stock armor is a little low.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sean10mm posted:

My current career mode game is the first playthrough where I got a Cataphract before I was up to my armpits in assault mechs and Orions and had no use for it.

It's pretty nice! It definitely felt like a bit of a step up from all the 65T heavies I'd been using. I also just like the look of it in the game. Only real problem with it is the stock armor is a little low.

A Cataphract was my second or third heavy, and it was amazing. Slow, but it had a lot of oomph. I think I loaded it up with an AC/20 and a bunch of medium lasers? It was a hell of a lot better than the Dragon I had, which I ended up dropping for another Shadowhawk.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ive yet to see a cataphract until you kill the one riding with Lady K's cousin in any campaign runthrough or until i get to 400 days left or so on the career runthroughs

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

sean10mm posted:

What kind of mechs are you fielding that a Cataphract feels like a step up? It's got 2 tons over the 65ers, but it's got rear end for hardpoints.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

What kind of mechs are you fielding that a Cataphract feels like a step up? It's got 2 tons over the 65ers, but it's got rear end for hardpoints.

I don't remember off the top of my head, but it's already been rendered moot now that after doing 2 flashpoints I suddenly have 3 Orions, a Cyclops Z and a goddamn Highlander 732B. :homebrew:

e: I know rewards are very random, but one weird thing I ran into was how a flashpoint that gave 2 Gauss Rifle+ (!!!) and 3 tons of Gauss ammo on a previous playthrough only gave 1 standard Gauss Rifle and 1 ton of ammo on the next career mode run. Do flashpoint rewards scale up based on game progression or skull rating or something?

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 7, 2019

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I don't remember off the top of my head, but it's already been rendered moot now that after doing 2 flashpoints I suddenly have 3 Orions, a Cyclops Z and a goddamn Highlander 732B. :homebrew:

e: I know rewards are very random, but one weird thing I ran into was how a flashpoint that gave 2 Gauss Rifle+ (!!!) and 3 tons of Gauss ammo on a previous playthrough only gave 1 standard Gauss Rifle and 1 ton of ammo on the next career mode run. Do flashpoint rewards scale up based on game progression or skull rating or something?

Nope, there are reward .CSV files that have a list set in stone. That list might have things like "Draw two items from SLDF_weapons" and you can get super lucky and get the Gauss+ammo slot twice or get poo poo on and pull a ERPPC and ERLL. Most of the lists a loot chart will call have rarity weights so a Gauss ++ is rarer than a base GR, but you could effectively roll 12s and nail the best results twice.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

rocketrobot posted:

Oh hey, thanks. I was looking for that yesterday. I have most of my other BT books on google play books. It's odd that they're split up. I'll assume different publisher agreements or something.

I'm reading En Garde now and Walter de Mesnil showed up with one eye. Outcome of the Maldive saga spoiled 30 years ago.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/live-battletech-1-5-0-release-notes.1159868/

1.5 is live! Get your bug fixes. Not everything in cFixes is corrected in the notes but I'd turn it off for now until we can check for undocumented changes and then push a slimmer 1.5 version that removes all the things HBS corrected.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Store prices in the Black Market are now affected by your reputation with the Pirates faction. The System owner's reputation price modifier is no longer applied.

Noooo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, I think that's going to make the black market totally unusable for me in my current game, where I'm supposed to get like a 1,000% markup for Black Market goods lmao.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Liao rep is useless now lmao

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Aaaand all my mods are dead. :saddowns:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So I have this elaborate and pointless idea in my head for how the introduction to the Clans will happen. But that's not why I'm writing this.

I'm writing this to suggest the completely unfeasible idea of Zellbrigen in combat with them.

That is, making it a game mechanic that influences the story. Sure, if you're playing a mercenary, chances are most Clanners will hate you anyway. But, what if you play by all their bullshit rules and still beat them? One-on-One combat, no melee, allowing safe withdrawals from combat (and missing out on the loot for it). Some might still hate you for it, but they'll know you can be trusted to uphold your bargains (by some Zellbrigen-score, much like the MRB one). Meaning you can make more outrageous claims of them and have them possibly upheld. Like negotiating a cease-fire over a planet, or bidding lance strength against overwhelming odds for greater recognition.

This of course doesn't quite take into account the possibilities given by the Deep Periphery background which is its own fun little idea to play around with, but it sure does sound like a fun way to challenge yourself to more difficult fights if you feel confident in your abilities as a player.

Also how else are we going to bid to take back MY HOME-PLANET?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

IMHO the Clans are kinda dumb and I like the hopelessness and nihilism of the succession wars.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

IMHO the Clans are kinda dumb and I like the hopelessness and nihilism of the succession wars.

How dare you accuse the Clans of being kinda dumb!

Clanners are very dumb.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Clans are rad and I will die a Clanner.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

One of my favorite *missions in Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was you challenging a Star Colonel to a trial of possession. Two lances vs two stars (8 vs 10), and if you win you get a ton of clan salvage and you take the Star Colonel as your bondsman. It's a ton of fun despite the disadvantage you're fighting them with.

*The alternative mission was to go passive sensors, kill them in their sleep, and steal their mechs.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I totally think the way to go with the Clans is to have them acting out their dumb rules of warfare, and for you to take advantage of them, use them against them, salvage their mechs and tech, and by the time they throw the rules out you're fighting them on even footing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Piell posted:

How dare you accuse the Clans of being kinda dumb!

Clanners are very dumb.

If there is one thing I approve of it is dumb fun.

But yeah, the above way is the canonical way of beating them, but I like challenging myself (hence why I took all the tougher options during Flashpoints, like fighting with just my one medium mech against another medium and their backup, or using assault mechs when the mission called for swift lights).

And as already mentioned, going up outgunned against the clans and winning anyway is awesome, just like those missions where you get ambushed and still wiped the floor with the opposing force.

Edit: As for the current game all I am missing is a way to raise rep from hated with Pirates (since planet difficulty scales I can't take their missions), and those elusive six skull missions for a real harrowing experience.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 13, 2019

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

One of my favorite *missions in Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was you challenging a Star Colonel to a trial of possession. Two lances vs two stars (8 vs 10), and if you win you get a ton of clan salvage and you take the Star Colonel as your bondsman. It's a ton of fun despite the disadvantage you're fighting them with.

*The alternative mission was to go passive sensors, kill them in their sleep, and steal their mechs.

I mean the clan stars outnumbered me in that mission but I out tonned them by a fair bit and was running no shortage of clan tech myself.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ModTek for 1.5 is out
https://github.com/BattletechModders/ModTek/releases

QuickCam is no longer mandatory, but if you still want "MAXIMUM TIMESAVINGS!" I made one for 1.5 that also fixes some issues with "Fly Cam" not getting to the target in time to actually see the impacts and damage. I'm glad the game is getting these kinds of QoL updates and hope something like ColorLoS mod or at least it's dashed IDF lines come soon.
https://github.com/BattletechModders/QuickCam/releases

cFixes for 1.5 is WIP.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The more I look at this medium pulse laser, the more I wonder why the hell you would ever use it when you get it.

If it's something you had available from the beginning of the game (and didn't cost 6x as much as a regular medium laser), I could see running it when you want some extra damage but don't have the tonnage for a large laser. By the time you actually get them though, you are drowning in the +5 damage mediums and probably have a collection of the +10 damage medium lasers.

So I guess I'm wondering why pulse lasers aren't available for purchase from the start of the campaign.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Lore reasons. Hopefully for the next DLC (I don't think there's a patch between now and that?) they'll go over all the LosTech and make it actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I may have played for a while too long to get this.