Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
was the floating supply and demand value for trade goods in EU3, or was it a new addition (later removed) for EU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That was a thing in one of the later EU3 expansions that was carried over to EU4 iirc.

There was some stuff in there that was cool on paper, like countries being at war driving up the price of iron, but it had only a marginal impact on gameplay most of the time and some weird stuff could happen because of it. A rigid trade value system where you always understand the price of a trade good is better.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it made more sense when centers of trade were strictly local, it was a way for "market conditions" to create a fluctuation in your trade income

once trade became a moving quantity it wasn't needed anymore

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wish that trade good price changes were more random, so sometimes grain might not be garbage at the end of the game or something

Also not having the eruption of Bárđarbunga ís weird

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Gotta say here in the main thread that I love Man the Guns. Been playing since yesterday and no major bugs encountered, although they maybe made the naval invasion AI too aggressive as everyone seems to be popping off invasions all the time.

Germany's a beast now too, it's 1942 and they've taken Moscow and are fighting off Republican Spain without breaking a sweat.

The Mexican focus tree is incredible too. For a nation that had almost no role in WW2 they've made it one of the most fun to play. I hope/wish every nation gets the same level of love and care in its focus tree. You can do pretty much anything you dream of in the tree and the Catholic Civil War mechanics make it so you can't just rush Full Trotsky from the get go and a menacing US/UK make it so there's some danger.

Hats off to the devs for a great patch/DLC.

edit: I'm so happy with it I even left a positive Steam review.

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 2, 2019

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

420 Gank Mid posted:

"Hey, you."

"Yeah, you.

Are you tired of steamrolling a brain-dead AI over and over again? Maybe you haven't bought the new DLC yet but want to check it out regardless. Or, maybe you're a greenhorn looking to dip your toes into something a little dangerous. If that's you then it's time for you to join the lads and 'Man the Guns' in our first weekly Hearts of Iron game using the latest patch and DLC"
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883522

"Starting Sunday, March 10th at 8pm UTC for a weekly 3 hour game. Bring your biggest guns & RSVP in the thread or in our Discord and we'll hold your seat"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
tom of finland cropped from the belly-button up is cowardice

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Speaking of trade in EU4, I wonder how trade would will work in Vicky3. In Vicky2 the goods produced by RGOs go into a global pool, and countries get their fill based on their status on the international hierarchy, right?

I'm also asking because I'm playing a chill game as Greece in Vicky2 right now and man I could use some cash

HerraS posted:

Europe is the center of the world, full state communism is the best economic system and Stalin was right. These are all historical lessons we can learn from Paradox games.

Paradox games are good praxis :ussr:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
nobody actually knows how trade or politics work in vicky 2 and anyone who says they do is an ideologue or fooling themselves

this makes it the most realistic socioeconomic simulator ever

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

nobody actually knows how trade or politics work in vicky 2 and anyone who says they do is an ideologue or fooling themselves

The only way Vicky 3 would have the same magic would be if it was developed in secret and released with like a week's notice after all the design notes were burned.

When asked about how the gameplay works the devs all have contradicting statements

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

cool dance moves posted:

Speaking of trade in EU4, I wonder how trade would will work in Vicky3. In Vicky2 the goods produced by RGOs go into a global pool, and countries get their fill based on their status on the international hierarchy, right?

I'm also asking because I'm playing a chill game as Greece in Vicky2 right now and man I could use some cash

Are you in the UK's sphere? If not, raise tariffs (if you are it won't help because most of your goods will be coming from within the sphere-group and won't qualify for tariffs).

Generally you're always gonna have a hard time making cash as a relatively small country like Greece. Feel free to cut your military spending to the bone and disband your navy entirely. The UK is usually happy to ally with you so you should really be relying on them for anything military related.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cease to Hope posted:

My favourite V2 fact is that the trade system was designed by an arch-Thatcherite but LF is still garbage

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are you in the UK's sphere? If not, raise tariffs (if you are it won't help because most of your goods will be coming from within the sphere-group and won't qualify for tariffs).

Generally you're always gonna have a hard time making cash as a relatively small country like Greece. Feel free to cut your military spending to the bone and disband your navy entirely. The UK is usually happy to ally with you so you should really be relying on them for anything military related.

never trust perfidious Albion. They're good at deterring other powers, nothing more.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Don't forget CK2 teaching you all about how royalty are scum.

Completely accurate, you had them rebelling against their own fathers, brothers, sons and every other possible family member. Just happened to read up on this guy recently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_the_German

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

axeil posted:

The Mexican focus tree is incredible too. For a nation that had almost no role in WW2 they've made it one of the most fun to play. I hope/wish every nation gets the same level of love and care in its focus tree. You can do pretty much anything you dream of in the tree and the Catholic Civil War mechanics make it so you can't just rush Full Trotsky from the get go and a menacing US/UK make it so there's some danger.

the mexico tree is so hilariously powerful, the entirety of south america can turn communist from completing 1 focus

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cool dance moves posted:

The way I see it, the thing missing from Vicky 2 is basically transportation costs/infrastructure. Add bi-directional trade nodes where goods increase in price as they pass through, based on infrastructure level, and you'd create a way more sensible system in an instant. Sure, British pops might have more money to pay for an exotic trade good than the locals, but if transportation costs end up quadrupling the price it might end up out of the price range of most of them - leaving a surplus for the local population. A decade or two later, with new ships and better infrastructure between producer and British consumer, and transportation costs might have plummeted - letting the British public hoover up all the bananas they like. Like, just drop the prestige thing and base it all on purchasing power and infrastructure - prestige should be for dick-waving/diplomacy.

Actually, speaking of prestige, and the whole ranking system, how about making that less transparent? Like, instead of a prestige/industrial/military score, how about only having industrial/military score - but you also get industrial/military prestige that distorts how other countries perceive you. For example, you might have 627 real military score, but because you have 342 military prestige they see a 969 military score. (Which is also what's used for rankings) It could even be used internally, with jingoist factions pushing for war based on the inflated score, because they've bought into the propaganda. Maybe have espionage be a way to see the real score (or something closer to it at least), which you can then use yourself in diplomacy and internal politics if you're trying to pursue a war against a paper tiger.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
My favourite thing about late EU3 was exploiting the Center Of Trade mechanism. I was playing Wallacia, and took a bunch of loans to make my own. It was completely garbage and the value was like under 2.

The real magic was every moneyed power rushing in to secure their trade, making my economy explode upwards from the merchant fees.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

Completely accurate, you had them rebelling against their own fathers, brothers, sons and every other possible family member. Just happened to read up on this guy recently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_the_German

I think my favorite dude was Ferdinand I, King of Naples

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_I_of_Naples

He liked to kill his political opponents, embalm their corpses, then dress them up in the costume they wore during their life and put them on display in his own private "museum of mummies" to show off to his guests. Paradox add that into CK2 please.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You're asking yourself: "Why would some horse/chariot race cause riots that ruin one of the biggest cities on Earth?" Then you look it up, and the casualties number in the tens of thousands?!?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Torrannor posted:

You're asking yourself: "Why would some horse/chariot race cause riots that ruin one of the biggest cities on Earth?" Then you look it up, and the casualties number in the tens of thousands?!?

Assuming your talking about thessaloniki then most of those deaths came in the reprisal. Also the riots used the races to bring their hatred of the goths.

I guess you could also be talking about the nika riots, but the actual races had little to do with the races themselves.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ivan Shitskin posted:

He liked to kill his political opponents, embalm their corpses, then dress them up in the costume they wore during their life and put them on display in his own private "museum of mummies" to show off to his guests. Paradox add that into CK2 please.

He's from the EU period, sorry.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Jedit posted:

He's from the EU period, sorry.

National Focus: Political Mummies?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ivan Shitskin posted:

That already is in CK2.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If anything the games downplay the craziness of reality.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

:lol: glad to see paradox has us all covered. I guess they added that in holy fury? I've been trying to learn eu4 and haven't really tried ck2 since then

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The way I see it, the thing missing from Vicky 2 is basically transportation costs/infrastructure. Add bi-directional trade nodes where goods increase in price as they pass through, based on infrastructure level, and you'd create a way more sensible system in an instant. Sure, British pops might have more money to pay for an exotic trade good than the locals, but if transportation costs end up quadrupling the price it might end up out of the price range of most of them - leaving a surplus for the local population. A decade or two later, with new ships and better infrastructure between producer and British consumer, and transportation costs might have plummeted - letting the British public hoover up all the bananas they like. Like, just drop the prestige thing and base it all on purchasing power and infrastructure - prestige should be for dick-waving/diplomacy.

Actually, speaking of prestige, and the whole ranking system, how about making that less transparent? Like, instead of a prestige/industrial/military score, how about only having industrial/military score - but you also get industrial/military prestige that distorts how other countries perceive you. For example, you might have 627 real military score, but because you have 342 military prestige they see a 969 military score. (Which is also what's used for rankings) It could even be used internally, with jingoist factions pushing for war based on the inflated score, because they've bought into the propaganda. Maybe have espionage be a way to see the real score (or something closer to it at least), which you can then use yourself in diplomacy and internal politics if you're trying to pursue a war against a paper tiger.

Yeah modelling actual trade flow would probably be the way to go, although it seems like that could end up in a complex indecipherable snarl very quickly (even moreso than Vicky's economy already is). I feel like transportation is really the missing ingredient in a lot of logistics simulations in strategy games though, and one of the reasons why naval power is always kind of an afterthought despite it being so important during the time period that's being depicted. The whole reason you wanted a powerful navy was to secure your trade routes, but since goods in Victoria 2 are magically teleported from wherever they're produced to wherever they're needed, boats are really only required if you need to move troops somewhere. 90% of what you'll be using your boats for in Victoria 2 are having cap ships sitting in port at minimum maintenance to boost your military score.

If trade actually flowed across the ocean and could be disrupted or blockaded, it would completely transform the way the military game played. Imagine if you could surround the UK with ships and starve them of supplies until their citizens started revolting, effectively winning a war against them without needing a single soldier to even set foot on the British Isles. That scenario is why the British Empire was so focused on naval supremacy in real life

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
this is very very loosely simulated by the fact that trade flow and control are abstracted into nation rank, and building a large navy contributes to nation rank. plus, you need naval infrastructure to participate in the scramble for africa.

it's there as a loose sketch, which is true of a lot of things about vicky 2.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I mean, blockading the UK to 100% war score does do some damage

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I mean, blockading the UK to 100% war score does do some damage

yeah, but war is so total in vic2 - and pretty much all the other clausewitz games - that you either go balls to the wall or you don't. if you don't and it ends up mattering, then you end up savescumming or just get pounded so hard back down into the ground that you just restart. there's no reason to even bother going to sea to fight except for whatever token effort you might make to carry out a single invasion or participate in the scramble or whatever unless you're the a UK-grade heavyweight. i'm pretty sure that's not historic? it's not really a period of history i know a lot about but i feel like there should be more reason to have a fleet than that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah modelling actual trade flow would probably be the way to go, although it seems like that could end up in a complex indecipherable snarl very quickly (even moreso than Vicky's economy already is). I feel like transportation is really the missing ingredient in a lot of logistics simulations in strategy games though, and one of the reasons why naval power is always kind of an afterthought despite it being so important during the time period that's being depicted. The whole reason you wanted a powerful navy was to secure your trade routes, but since goods in Victoria 2 are magically teleported from wherever they're produced to wherever they're needed, boats are really only required if you need to move troops somewhere. 90% of what you'll be using your boats for in Victoria 2 are having cap ships sitting in port at minimum maintenance to boost your military score.

If trade actually flowed across the ocean and could be disrupted or blockaded, it would completely transform the way the military game played. Imagine if you could surround the UK with ships and starve them of supplies until their citizens started revolting, effectively winning a war against them without needing a single soldier to even set foot on the British Isles. That scenario is why the British Empire was so focused on naval supremacy in real life

Yeah, I totally agree with this. For instance, I seem to recall reading that especially towards the late 18th century, you see a lot of Atlantic-Indian ocean traffic being carried on British ships, even if it was destined for non-British ports. Which was all fine for everybody, until a war broke out and now all of that shipping just avoids continental Europe entirely, or has been drafted to serve the state etc. Shifts like that would trigger massive economic disruption, and it doesn't occur in the game at all.

The other pet peeve of mine is never seeing Portugal make a serious push to get into the Indian; by 1444 you already had most of the important players in place, and just 30 years later you have them trading away Iberian interests in exchange for locking Castile out of West African (and eventually Indian ocean) trade. And that never ever happens in the game, and it makes me sad.

It's what I'd most like to see from an EU5, along with personal union mechanics, which are just mind bogglingly bad and somehow haven't really been touched since EU4 released.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah modelling actual trade flow would probably be the way to go, although it seems like that could end up in a complex indecipherable snarl very quickly (even moreso than Vicky's economy already is). I feel like transportation is really the missing ingredient in a lot of logistics simulations in strategy games though
At the very least I think you'd have to cut down on the number of trade nodes compared to EU4, which should make both calculations and visualization easier. I definitely agree with you about transportation being the missing ingredient, and would be willing to sacrifice fidelity elsewhere to have it get in.
Adding a far stronger assimilation mechanic that prunes non-core minorities and assimilates them into province core pops according to current proportions in the province could reduce the load considerably, without causing the minority pops to just assimilate away in provinces where they're native. Maybe having all pops be tied to states instead of provinces would help too, with provinces just being designed for warfare, since it'd allow Paradox to really consolidate a lot of pops. (Military-only provinces would have the added bonus of allowing Paradox to make them evenly sized, making the difference between the Western and the Eastern front far more pronounced as no state would have the capability to just dig in in the east.)

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I totally agree with this. For instance, I seem to recall reading that especially towards the late 18th century, you see a lot of Atlantic-Indian ocean traffic being carried on British ships, even if it was destined for non-British ports. Which was all fine for everybody, until a war broke out and now all of that shipping just avoids continental Europe entirely, or has been drafted to serve the state etc. Shifts like that would trigger massive economic disruption, and it doesn't occur in the game at all.
This seems like it could be modeled by having shipping capacity being required to move goods across the oceans, with the transportation costs actually ending up in the pockets of the capitalists who've invested in shipping companies - and then having a button like mobilization that puts the shipping capacity directly into state control and allows the state to establish proper supply lines at the cost of losing a source of income.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I wanna see how Imperator's trade system works and if that can be applied to VIC3 or EU5

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

A tad offtopic but not so much: well, since Paradox owns White Wolf and this is usually the general chat for the company games, do we have a goonthread for the ARG that has been rolling around recently about a potential Bloodlines-type game?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dead comedy forums posted:

A tad offtopic but not so much: well, since Paradox owns White Wolf and this is usually the general chat for the company games, do we have a goonthread for the ARG that has been rolling around recently about a potential Bloodlines-type game?

it's been discussed a little bit in the world of darkness thread over in trad games in between rounds of endless magechat

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

I think the World of Darkness thread in tradgames was discussing it. If they weren't, they'd be the ones to ask this, at least.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I haven't played V2 in ~years~ is there a Best Mod for a better game? Particularly one that would give me a good Civil War as the Union? Or is that too much to ask?

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Fintilgin posted:

I haven't played V2 in ~years~ is there a Best Mod for a better game? Particularly one that would give me a good Civil War as the Union? Or is that too much to ask?

I play the Blood and Iron mod (it's on the moddb page for Heart of Darkness), but I haven't played it for the US yet so i dunno how it treats the Civil War. It fleshes out the history events though, so I'm guessing they put in some work on it. I do know that there is an event chain that ends in the UK declares its own war on the Union following an incident with a Confederate ship. Hell, I've even seen the Confederates pull through a couple times and successfully secede.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I've got a V2 question for yall: The world looks like this and my mission is to get as much of Africa as possible. I've sphered Spain, Portugal, Ottoman Empire and Transvaal and am conquering Sokoto and Egypt. That leaves only these nasty red and blue parts to deal with. My military is now strong enough to take on France I reckon but is there any chance to get something from the UK? The year is 1906, vanilla V2. UK has over 3000 brigades and mine's the second strongest army (out of the great powers) with 220 lmao

Edit: just loaded up as UK and they don't have much money. What happens if I bankrupt them, does that help get their provinces somehow?

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

elbkaida posted:

I've got a V2 question for yall: The world looks like this and my mission is to get as much of Africa as possible. I've sphered Spain, Portugal, Ottoman Empire and Transvaal and am conquering Sokoto and Egypt. That leaves only these nasty red and blue parts to deal with. My military is now strong enough to take on France I reckon but is there any chance to get something from the UK? The year is 1906, vanilla V2. UK has over 3000 brigades and mine's the second strongest army (out of the great powers) with 220 lmao

Edit: just loaded up as UK and they don't have much money. What happens if I bankrupt them, does that help get their provinces somehow?

Are you....Peru?