Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

2house2fly posted:

Ah yes, the job which gave me a habit of never ever using gendered pronouns without getting a name first

Wait till you reply to an email from “Major Susan LastName” with “Ma’am,”

That was a fun phone call and subsequent office visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

omnibobb posted:

Wait till you reply to an email from “Major Susan LastName” with “Ma’am,”

That was a fun phone call and subsequent office visit.

I work with a guy named Ariel. Turns out more people know Disney’s Little Mermaid than prime ministers of Israel.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

New episode, it's time for aliens
https://thefpl.us/episode/297

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Djeser posted:

Yesss, the other alien episode is my favorite

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TheFPlus/status/1102352085058764801

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Holy moley those are some charts in the doc.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh boy, aliens again? That's fun already!

Oh boy, Michael Menkin?! That's even better!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Seems like there's a doc waiting to be written about Medium.com. They could even read bits of that article and then drink heavily

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Djeser posted:

Is this one real? I feel like the thought-screen helmet "side effects" are too on-the-nose for someone not parodying literal tin-foil hat conspiracies.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Is this one real? I feel like the thought-screen helmet "side effects" are too on-the-nose for someone not parodying literal tin-foil hat conspiracies.
I believe it.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzyHXRVu_bw

Beyond this stuff, there are just way too many goddamn words on that guy's website for it to have been made by anyone not completely invested in stopping the menace of alien autism.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 4, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZorajitZorajit posted:

oh no this dude is legit and he rules

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

At least he's not an anti-vaxxer.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Just from listening to the episode it sounds like one of those "whether he's real or faking he's clearly put a lot of effort into this insane thing" situations

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What is this bizarro mirror Internet people seem to be using where half the crazy weirdos are actually just faking it for [put reason here —ed.]?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Someone in TBB got me a vanity-published sci-fi thing for Secret Santa and couldn't figure out whether or not the screamingly incoherent second-generation photocopied manuscript with three or four different types of formatting, scribbles all over it, and multiple chapters accidentally duplicated from previous drafts, all bound under a Photoshop crash of a cover, was "satire".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ha ha, everyone thinks I'm mentally ill, that'll show them?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
People just can't let themselves believe that a crazy person might actually exist and do a thing somewhere.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Belief in alien control is pretty common feature in a subgroup of schizophrenics who are even worse at self-monitoring / "reality testing" than your typical schizophrenic.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I mean, the medicalized concept of mental illness lets a lot of things and people slip through the cracks. (Schizophrenia is a great example of this; It's often diagnosed as a sort of catch all even when it doesn't help the patient.) Anyone who puts in that much effort as a joke has something going on, even if it's not obvious or life disrupting enough to classify under the DSMV.

tbh imo you can learn more about how people's minds break online than you ever could in a psychology class.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The best place to learn about how brains can break is to spend IRL time around mentally ill people.

edit: I'm no expert by the above standard, I have spent some time around mentally ill people and am friends with a few psychiatrists but I'm much more the book-learning type of faux-expert. I do have some conversations / have read some posts where my first thought is "there is no way you have ever spent 5 minutes around a profoundly mentally ill person". Not referring to this thread, or the "troll or not?" question, since people can fake anything online, but more to just how bad things can get with actual people.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 5, 2019

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

pangstrom posted:

Belief in alien control is pretty common feature in a subgroup of schizophrenics who are even worse at self-monitoring / "reality testing" than your typical schizophrenic.

I’m also reminded of the people who believe they’re being gangstalked.

Bozarth
Sep 2, 2003

What fucking language are you speaking?
All creative works are acts of madness imho

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

People just can't let themselves believe that a crazy person might actually exist and do a thing somewhere.

They're worried about being taken in by this guy

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

My rule of thumb is to ask "is it like timecube? then it's insane". If there's a pattern of logic based on a bizarre assumption plus an adversarial attitude to skeptics, they're probably nuts.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Plus, I think the original sticking point was the whole "side effects may include your spouse calling you crazy and trying to keep you from using the helmet." While that seems a little on the nose, that kind of stuff genuinely pops up when you're dealing with UFO and ghost/demon people. If they're deep in their delusion it doesn't sound funny to them.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Plus, I think the original sticking point was the whole "side effects may include your spouse calling you crazy and trying to keep you from using the helmet." While that seems a little on the nose, that kind of stuff genuinely pops up when you're dealing with UFO and ghost/demon people. If they're deep in their delusion it doesn't sound funny to them.

^^^

Sorry, all, I really didn't mean to cast aspersion. The episode was great, and I can completely believe it's authentic. Mostly, I was curious if anyone else had found it toeing the line between being too-self-aware.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry to keep making GBS threads up the thread with episodes I've listened to, but since my last post I listened to Pounded in the Butt by the Heal Beam, Untitled Vaping Episode, and both Juggalo episodes. The 2 Juggalo episodes had me dying (20 years ago I called myself a Juggalo and was one for about 6 years). The Healslut one didn't really do much for me, although I did think it was funny. I also REALLY enjoyed the Vaping episode because I played WoW with a bunch of Vapers and all of their conversations sounded exactly like those forum posts.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Listen to the plush-fuckers already, coward.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's a new Lou Reads and it's really loving gross.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Oh. Oh no.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Listen to the plush-fuckers already, coward.

What episode #

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I've lost all objectivity. This one just made me laugh. As did your reaction. Ahhhhh sigh.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

King Lou posted:

I've lost all objectivity. This one just made me laugh. As did your reaction. Ahhhhh sigh.

Hi Lou!

It's all the weird quasi-incest stuff about "I got my first boner from smelling my baby sister's armpits" that got to me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The armpit is the most erotic pit on the human body

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens

SalTheBard posted:

What episode #

https://thefpl.us/episode/117

Whenever anyone wants a rec on where to start, I tell them here.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

I wonder how much worse it is than the stuff I didn't include in my Girlpits doc?

BootsRaingear
Sep 10, 2013

I can't grow a beard.

ShellGame posted:

You misspelled 'wreck'

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

King Lou posted:

Wishing you luck with the interview.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Improbable Lobster posted:

The armpit is the most erotic pit on the human body

The armpit is the hot exhaust pipe of the human body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ShellGame posted:

You know its a great ep when STOG just loses it every other 5 minutes.