Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

it really is insane nobody talks about it. it'd be insane even if a popular documentary hadn't been centered around that loophole.

Exactly. Everyone assumes Slavery is abolished but that phrasing is what allows and permits modern day slavery and why so many people of color are judged harsher. That's why there's industry and systematic injustice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Gatts posted:

If Bernie Sanders declares he will fight for a constitutional amendment to eliminate the phrase of the 13th that states "Slavery is abolished except if convicted of a crime as punishment..." I think he'd be the only one to suggest it and it'd pretty much lock him down. Even Obama or profit-prison Kamala didn't or wouldn't do such a thing. Eliminate for profit prison, make sure the system and legality of slavery in 2019 America is abolished.

It didn't even occur to me, but holy gently caress...you're right. I don't think a single candidate has publicly made the connection between the 13th and the prison system or tried to do anything about it. And right now, Bernie is the only one I could reasonably see doing it, but if anyone did, they would catapult to #1.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1102299692811997184

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AegisP posted:

https://twitter.com/shelbyholliday/status/1102277514553118720

Roger Stone is just physically incapable of shutting up, isn't he? Though if his tactic is to switch over to self-deleting social media platforms as an attempt to go, "What post? I never made any post!", I need to grab some popcorn for how this will be received by the judge.

this is going to be hilarious

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Which is why he will be on a true news source like Fox News.

That's bad too but doesn't refute the point of the article in any way. Someone who does bad and dumb things can still be right about other things.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1101925749114658816

https://twitter.com/JakeEschen/status/1101691172135690240

--

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1101674156049948672

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1101674160281903112

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

God drat it Arkansas. This loving state.

It's nothing new. Several other states (Texas among them) have similar laws.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Casey Finnigan posted:

Sorry, but buying into the elitist framing around "good" and "bad" colleges, the value of degrees, etc. has really cost me a lot in my life, so I'm pretty sensitive about this.

My college education and experience was extremely valuable, but gently caress, it was not worth the cost. People shouldn't be made to feel like idiots if they agree with that sentiment and try to avoid the burden that the cost of a four-year degree in the US can be.

So you admit to being an embittered weirdo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Succubustin'

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ogmius815 posted:

So you admit to being an embittered weirdo.

:yeah:

I'm glad it wasn't too hard for you to pay for college though I guess

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

:yeah:

I'm glad it wasn't too hard for you to pay for college though I guess

No you don’t get to make this move anymore. You’ve admitted it isn’t the fact that some people can’t pay for college you don’t like, it’s the whole system. You don’t think college is worth it for anyone. From there, those of us who understand that a college education is a good and valuable thing and what to give it to as many people as possible must part ways with you, a screwball with a chip on his shoulder.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CuddleCryptid posted:

https://twitter.com/CPAC/status/1101915764414541828?s=19

This will again be immediately challenged in court but jesus

the best part is its going to effect the right wing "colleges" more than anyone else. most colleges are free speech as gently caress, its just chuds getting mad they can't shout slurs and piss people off enough to start riots like with the milo poo poo. alot of the right wing theocratic mills are oppressive as gently caress.

yeah, manafort knows he is hosed and is praying trump will save him, thing is trump won't and now he will die in a cell.

Casey Finnigan posted:

No, poo poo-for-brains, it's not good to say that college is so super important when college costs a loving arm and a leg and there's currently a massive student debt crisis. College is good... if it doesn't bankrupt you!! How can you not understand this

e: besides I have a four-year degree in a STEM field, so surely this makes me a smart, good man? Or if I'm dumb then you admit the degree counts for jack poo poo huh

it also fucks you when you because alot of good jobs for your various majors expect Masters degrees at least. just getting a BA doesn't cut it.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ogmius815 posted:

No you don’t get to make this move anymore. You’ve admitted it isn’t the fact that some people can’t pay for college you don’t like, it’s the whole system. You don’t think college is worth it for anyone. From there, those of us who understand that a college education is a good and valuable thing and what to give it to as many people as possible must part ways with you, a screwball with a chip on his shoulder.

okay

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-51DeTRRQ

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The god drat judge assigned to Roger Stone's case better throw the book at him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the best part is its going to effect the right wing "colleges" more than anyone else. most colleges are free speech as gently caress, its just chuds getting mad they can't shout slurs and piss people off enough to start riots like with the milo poo poo. alot of the right wing theocratic mills are oppressive as gently caress.

If it's enforced, it would also hurt America's technological competitiveness by handicapping the same schools that produce a lot of our innovations that we take for granted.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

College education is definitely valuable, not just for the education itself but also for the generally liberal environment in which that education takes place. That said, whether a college degree is worth the cost obviously depends on the degree.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Young Freud posted:

If it's enforced, it would also hurt America's technological competitiveness by handicapping the same schools that produce a lot of our innovations that we take for granted.

would it? whats the full thing say? i assume it will die in the courts or be ignored.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I dunno what the effect would be exactly, on my campuses people would do anti-abortion protests with graphic fetus pictures all the time and held up signs with slurs and poo poo like "Jews control the internet" so I'd say there was a lot of leeway.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

enraged_camel posted:

Without waiting for the paperback.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

They better make him their bitch: not an ounce of freedom.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I dunno what the effect would be exactly, on my campuses people would do anti-abortion protests with graphic fetus pictures all the time and held up signs with slurs and poo poo like "Jews control the internet" so I'd say there was a lot of leeway.

my pretty liberal college allowed rear end in a top hat pastors and liberterians as well as left wing antifa posters. the only stuff we out and out banned were the nazis.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hastings posted:

They better make him their bitch: not an ounce of freedom.

please think about the words you use before posting thanks in advance

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102302218903003141

not surprised at all. id be amused if trump ends up just 180ing our support and openly supporting the north koreans over SK because his "deal" brain worms.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

She may even fine him a token amount that his horrible followers will crowdfund in a weekend!

People are being ground into dust for coughing or sighing during their bullshit loitering or sidewalk obstruction cases while this human polyp deliberately spits in the eye of the Justice system and only gets tsk'd at like a dog dragging his rear end along the carpet. I guess you just can't stay mad at him!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

would it? whats the full thing say? i assume it will die in the courts or be ignored.

If he's levelling his federal research dollar cuts this at "liberal" college campuses, he's cutting research into a wide variety of fields, most important to him, military research. UC Berkeley, for example since it was the matchpoint for the Milo riots, has a federal-funded program developing exoskeletons. If you look at the photos on the projects page, you can easily tell that those aren't weight vests those guys are wearing and that this isn't something to make barely-ambulatory disabled walk again (which, is a side effect of such research, but let's face it, Space Forces needs Mobile Infantry).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it also fucks you when you because alot of good jobs for your various majors expect Masters degrees at least. just getting a BA doesn't cut it.

Ask me about graduating just in time for the worst economic recession since the Great Depression. Anyway weird anti-college takes aside more people should have the opportunity for education and they shouldn't be paying absurd costs for it. If college is free and you don't want to go, then uh, more power to you I guess. Even if I was going to weld pipes for the rest of my life a classical liberal is good for all kinds of non-tangible and tangible reasons and the more people who can take part the better.

Obviously the real villain in all of this is capitalism, which keeps demanding greater and greater wealth transfer from the bottom classes to the top. A lot of the problems people are describing aren't problems with education or college themselves, they're problems inherent to the capitalist society we live in, which even compared to other capitalist societies wrt to education and healthcare is uniquely bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Young Freud posted:

If he's levelling his federal research dollar cuts this at "liberal" college campuses, he's cutting research into a wide variety of fields, most important to him, military research. UC Berkeley, for example since it was the matchpoint for the Milo riots, has a federal-funded program developing exoskeletons. If you look at the photos on the projects page, you can easily tell that those aren't weight vests those guys are wearing and that this isn't something to make barely-ambulatory disabled walk again (which, is a side effect of such research, but let's face it, Space Forces needs Mobile Infantry).

thats way too deep for him to care about. this will be a "hur do free speech" order that won't have any teeth.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

Well it's not free speech they want, they want a preferred status for white males to be restored.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102302218903003141

not surprised at all. id be amused if trump ends up just 180ing our support and openly supporting the north koreans over SK because his "deal" brain worms.

I know "normalized" is overused but it's still so bizarre how he drops "for which we are not reimbursed" and it's not a big deal that the president expects other countries to pay for military operations apparently.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102295815794626560

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1102292688345419779

These tweets sure do contrast nicely.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I thought many of those drills ruined South Korean infrastructure and even killed a bunch of civilians and that the people didn't really care for them.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I know "normalized" is overused but it's still so bizarre how he drops "for which we are not reimbursed" and it's not a big deal that the president expects other countries to pay for military operations apparently.

What's weirder to me is how the right can go from "any limit of dollars spend on military is treason" to "we must not spend this money on military" and nobody bats an eye. I guess it's like the deficit and everything else, but it's tiresome how there's literally no consistency.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Glen Greenwald is a piece of poo poo with a massive bias and very little journalistic integrity. He's right sometimes, but so is Trump, or a broken clock.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

What's weirder to me is how the right can go from "any limit of dollars spend on military is treason" to "we must not spend this money on military" and nobody bats an eye. I guess it's like the deficit and everything else, but it's tiresome how there's literally no consistency.

It's because one of Trumps big shticks is to "get somebody else to pay for it", anything "he's" (and thus currently by extension the US) paying for isn't worth it unless he can grift money out of it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Imagine looking at a world where college tuition is constantly increasing because of healthcare costs and decreases in government support and then going “welp I guess college is bad”.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nvm

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 3, 2019

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

pseudanonymous posted:

Glen Greenwald is a piece of poo poo with a massive bias and very little journalistic integrity. He's right sometimes, but so is Trump, or a broken clock.

MSNBC is not a political arm of the democratic establishment

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

DrNutt posted:

Ask me about graduating just in time for the worst economic recession since the Great Depression. Anyway weird anti-college takes aside more people should have the opportunity for education and they shouldn't be paying absurd costs for it. If college is free and you don't want to go, then uh, more power to you I guess. Even if I was going to weld pipes for the rest of my life a classical liberal is good for all kinds of non-tangible and tangible reasons and the more people who can take part the better.

Obviously the real villain in all of this is capitalism, which keeps demanding greater and greater wealth transfer from the bottom classes to the top. A lot of the problems people are describing aren't problems with education or college themselves, they're problems inherent to the capitalist society we live in, which even compared to other capitalist societies wrt to education and healthcare is uniquely bad.

The current flavor of anti intellectual or college education comes from people like the Koches who had Harvard and wealth handed to them on a silver platter or their puppets like Mike Rowe who had communications studies degrees from Towson University - a public college, while "cheerleading blue collar work". It absolutely is gutting poor people into some bullshit myth that wage slavery or working for tips more than a livable wage from your boss is "honorable" when you're holding down several poo poo gigs or going into some lovely trade school thinking that you're going to make it there and - oops, your no unionized plummer's guild ain't giving you good greenage per sweat either!

The rich ain't letting people get up in white or blue collar work and have the gall to call you unskilled or useless when they only let their untalented friends or children get those management roles anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MSNBC is garbage like all other cable news. The exact specifics aren't really important since no one should be watching any of it.