Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cerv posted:

Would that Corbyn had turned and punched the egg thrower
He’s letdown the Old Labour brand this time

Prescott for deputy leader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol I replied to that John Harris article with, essentially, 'saying that a belief that corrupt elites exploit the rest of us is implicitly antisemitic seems like a pretty sketchy position that could be read as 'anticapitalism =antisemitism' and, I poo poo you not, his response was effectively 'maybe read some Marx dumbass :agesilaus:'

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Has anyone said "cash for the cash god, regions for the region throne" yet? :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol I replied to that John Harris article with, essentially, 'saying that a belief that corrupt elites exploit the rest of us is implicitly antisemitic seems like a pretty sketchy position that could be read as 'anticapitalism =antisemitism' and, I poo poo you not, his response was effectively 'maybe read some Marx dumbass :agesilaus:'
I mean antisemitism was a part of a lot of 19th century anticapitalism, as it was a part of 19th century philosophy, fine art, opera, workers' poetry, science, engineering, and I presume baked goods and greengrocery, although there's less well preserved evidence there.

But to get "21st century anticapitalism is antisemitic" because Marx said some poo poo about observant Jews while himself being ethnically Jewish requires higher level brain worms than "Planned Parenthood is racist because Margaret Sanger."

Also it assumes that all anticapitalism is of the Marxist tradition. Fairly sure that Emma Goldman wasn't an antisemite.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

I can buy that but the problem is that's not how stuff works. It's third wayism. You can't run something on the idea that we'll just pretend to care about one thing to get support while we actually devote our attention to the other thing, because quite shortly you end up with people who were raised on the messaging about the first thing and actually just care about the first thing and oh look now they're running the organization.

You've gotta have concordance between what you say and what you want cos otherwise what you want will quickly become what you say.

Luckily if people are passionate enough about conservation and want to pursue a career in it, this kind of stuff gets addressed and made sense of (at least it did in my Marine Biology degree and other ones that my friends did).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

I mean antisemitism was a part of a lot of 19th century anticapitalism, as it was a part of 19th century philosophy, fine art, opera, workers' poetry, science, engineering, and I presume baked goods and greengrocery, although there's less well preserved evidence there.

But to get "21st century anticapitalism is antisemitic" because Marx said some poo poo about observant Jews while himself being ethnically Jewish requires higher level brain worms than "Planned Parenthood is racist because Margaret Sanger."

Also it assumes that all anticapitalism is of the Marxist tradition. Fairly sure that Emma Goldman wasn't an antisemite.

His point was more, I think, that Marx wouldn't have agreed rather than Marx was antisemitic, which is even more :confused:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Nono he's drawing a distinction between capitalism, the system, and capitalists, the people who benefit from and maintain the system - you see, Marx criticised
the former, which is fine, whereas it's antisemitic to oppose the latter because fffaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrttttt*shits self*

(yeah I did look the tweet up, journalist is dumb)

e: actually putting the antisemitism thing to one side for a minute, it's pretty good that the dialogue has moved from "you can't criticise capitalism because the USSR & also the bins didn't get picked up one time" to "okay you can criticise capitalism as a system just don't criticise me & my mates who deliberately maintain it", since it means they're ceding ground (& to an even more obviously dumb position that's gonna fall flat in relatively short order). Just sucks that they're probably gonna cause hate crimes in the process :(

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 4, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Emma Goldman was apparently not antisemitic but your garden variety racist. Kill your heros and preserve the good bits, I guess. For Marx it'd be his beard and material dialectics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

His point was more, I think, that Marx wouldn't have agreed rather than Marx was antisemitic, which is even more :confused:
In that case it's probably referring to Marx's later beliefs (after working closely with Engels) that the individual capitalist is not to blame, but is subject to the same bad system as the individual worker, and the system traps both capitalist and worker while capital sucks living wealth from the worker.

Which, okay, so it's a systemic issue rather than individual puppet masters. Now what? Either we deal with that, which requires changes, or we cater to the tears of the capital class, which sounds a lot like #notallmen

Or given the comparative sizes and power of the two groups, more like #notallwhites in 1970s South Africa. Great, not every single white person is deeply invested in a conspiracy with meetings on Thursdays to preserve white supremacy. Does that mean that nobody is allowed to say that apartheid is 'organized white supremacy' or accuse 'whites' of being an elite while there's one homeless white guy in Cape Province without being the Reverse Racist? (People like Steve Biko did legit get accused of that.)

Because that sounds like unhelpfully limiting language in a bad situation.

Also it still ignores that Karl Marx isn't the emperor of anticapitalism.

Miftan posted:

Emma Goldman was apparently not antisemitic but your garden variety racist. Kill your heros and preserve the good bits, I guess.
I don't doubt that, there's a whole trail of racist anticapitalists, sexist civil rights campaigners, homophobic womens' libbers, transphobic gay libbers and so on and so on (schniff), and like you say you have to take what you can. (Also embrace intersectionality.) What are the terrible things about Lucy Parsons?

Miftan posted:

For Marx it'd be his beard and material dialectics.
Dude knew how to party too.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

In that case it's probably referring to Marx's later beliefs (after working closely with Engels) that the individual capitalist is not to blame, but is subject to the same bad system as the individual worker, and the system traps both capitalist and worker while capital sucks living wealth from the worker.

Which, okay, so it's a systemic issue rather than individual puppet masters. Now what? Either we deal with that, which requires changes, or we cater to the tears of the capital class, which sounds a lot like #notallmen

Or given the comparative sizes and power of the two groups, more like #notallwhites in 1970s South Africa. Great, not every single white person is deeply invested in a conspiracy with meetings on Thursdays to preserve white supremacy. Does that mean that nobody is allowed to say that apartheid is 'organized white supremacy' or accuse 'whites' of being an elite while there's one homeless white guy in Cape Province without being the Reverse Racist? (People like Steve Biko did legit get accused of that.)

Because that sounds like unhelpfully limiting language in a bad situation.

Also it still ignores that Karl Marx isn't the emperor of anticapitalism.

I just going to go with 'he's a dumbass' if I'm honest.

Capitalists may be stuck in the same death spiral as the rest of us, but Bezos et al have the power to stop it at any moment and choose not to. I've not read much late Marx but if he somehow came to think they're just as powerless as us this is going to be the most brutal 'never meet your heroes' shock of all time.

E: I'll give a minor caveat to very small business owners in this regard I guess

Guavanaut posted:

Dude knew how to party too.

My favourite thing about Marx is he legitimises my own writing style i.e. spend months pissed up then write it all in manic frenzy over the course of a couple weeks

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 4, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

What are the terrible things about Lucy Parsons?

Nm can't find any evidence so disregard.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 4, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whether it is the choice of the capitalist or not to perpetuate the system it doesn't change the fact that killing all of them would fix it and incur comparatively very little violence compared to letting it continue.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Whether it is the choice of the capitalist or not to perpetuate the system it doesn't change the fact that killing all of them would fix it and incur comparatively very little violence compared to letting it continue.

:agreed:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Capitalists may be stuck in the same death spiral as the rest of us, but Bezos et al have the power to stop it at any moment and choose not to. I've not read much late Marx but if he somehow came to think they're just as powerless as us this is going to be the most brutal 'never meet your heroes' shock of all time.

E: I'll give a minor caveat to very small business owners in this regard I guess

My favourite thing about Marx is he legitimises my own writing style i.e. spend months pissed up then write it all in manic frenzy over the course of a couple weeks

That's what I remember from reading it, I'll try to find it for you.

E ugh it might be in the species being essays..

Miftan fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 4, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Apologies if this has already been posted but for a nice change of pace, here's a british celebrity that doesn't suck:
https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1102486398693724161

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think it was so much "they're just as powerless" as "they're stuck in the same system of capitalism, of which they are the beneficiaries". This was "capitalism is a stage of development" Marx rather than "spectres of communism" Marx, so it was less about concrete solutions (that's where your Leninism etc. comes in) and more about describing the inherent instability of the capital mode of production.

I'll extend the apartheid metaphor here and say that a lot of white South Africans knew that the system was terrible and unsustainable, but were powerless to individually dismantle it. They were just as much beneficiaries of white supremacy as those who actively tried to prop up the failing system. Some of them approached that through liberal charity ends (which brings to mind the worst slaveowners quote), others (notably the Anglican church in South Africa) took a better approach by knowing that the overthrow must be headed by the oppressed and encouraging Black-led community organizations, and still others let Umkhonto we Sizwe hide in their outbuildings; but they still all benefited from the system of minority rule.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think it was so much "they're just as powerless" as "they're stuck in the same system of capitalism, of which they are the beneficiaries". This was "capitalism is a stage of development" Marx rather than "spectres of communism" Marx, so it was less about concrete solutions (that's where your Leninism etc. comes in) and more about describing the inherent instability of the capital mode of production.

I'll extend the apartheid metaphor here and say that a lot of white South Africans knew that the system was terrible and unsustainable, but were powerless to individually dismantle it. They were just as much beneficiaries of white supremacy as those who actively tried to prop up the failing system. Some of them approached that through liberal charity ends (which brings to mind the worst slaveowners quote), others (notably the Anglican church in South Africa) took a better approach by knowing that the overthrow must be headed by the oppressed and encouraging Black-led community organizations, and still others let Umkhonto we Sizwe hide in their outbuildings; but they still all benefited from the system of minority rule.

This is really interesting but I really don't think guardian communist John Harris is coming at it from quite this angle

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Emma Goldman was apparently not antisemitic but your garden variety racist. Kill your heros and preserve the good bits, I guess. For Marx it'd be his beard and material dialectics.

So what are the sources on Goldman being racist? Not that I don't believe it, anyone from her background born in the 19th century is going to fail to meet modern standards on racism. Just can't say I heard that before and it's certainly good not to be blinkered on your heroes (for lack of a better term) flaws. But a quick and lazy Google doesn't fine much, race wasn't really at the front of her concerns nearly as much as gender and class and nationalism. But it was a " look at page 1 only "job.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

This is really interesting but I really don't think guardian communist John Harris is coming at it from quite this angle
Yeah, I think regardless of what Marx said it'd be fair to say that apartheid South Africa was led by "an elite clique of whites" regardless of whether every white South African was invited, and that Hendrik Verwoerd could do a lot more to dismantle it were he willing than the white smallholder who assists militants.

The capitalist equivalent is of course "an elite clique of capitalists" rather than "anything to do with Jews at all" so he's being deliberately obtuse.

I'm not sure what the equivalent of the white smallholder who assists militants is under British late capitalism. Maybe Quaker landlords who refuse to do the hostile environment checks and reinvest all of their profit in fighting for better housing, knowing that the other route (selling all their houses and not being landlords) would just result in some dickbag BtLing them?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oops https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1102509516351029248

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

TBH a lot of conservationism has always struck me as weird. Like people devote a lot of resources and attention to making sure there are still lions so that david attenborough can videotape them and ASMR in your lug about them.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in isolation but it's always impressive or cute looking animals that you can personify and ideally exist somewhere exotic? It's weird, vaguely like fetishistic?

Environmentalism as a thing that's important to preserving the welfare of human life and to an extent large scale animal life makes sense but is the biggest problem really that lions might stop existing?

The lions are under threat now. Humanity isn’t going to be under threat for a good while.

And I don’t think resources going to protecting lions are being taken from the ‘fix humanity’ reserve.

And any species disappearing will have knock on effects to the whole ecosystem.

Let’s not get blasé about extinction.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

So what are the sources on Goldman being racist? Not that I don't believe it, anyone from her background born in the 19th century is going to fail to meet modern standards on racism. Just can't say I heard that before and it's certainly good not to be blinkered on your heroes (for lack of a better term) flaws. But a quick and lazy Google doesn't fine much, race wasn't really at the front of her concerns nearly as much as gender and class and nationalism. But it was a " look at page 1 only "job.

Mostly stuff about how her feud with Lucy Parsons was only about ideological differences, but I can't find anything now either so I've decided to retract it for now. I'll post if I find it again.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Skipped the thread over the weekend. Did we hear from PJ or Loafer at all yet?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Let’s not get blasé about extinction.

LOL bad news about the next few decades pal

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

OwlFancier posted:

Environmentalism as a thing that's important to preserving the welfare of human life and to an extent large scale animal life makes sense but is the biggest problem really that lions might stop existing?
a-loving-men. europeans spent two thousand years converting an entire continent to farmland, and the benefits have vastly, vastly outweighed the costs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
even other guardian columnists find it ridiculous

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1102524554226868224

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

coffeetable posted:

a-loving-men. europeans spent two thousand years converting an entire continent to farmland, and the benefits have vastly, vastly outweighed the costs

Apart from the soil erosion.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

^^ worth it

yellow is farmland, light green is pasture. once upon a time it was all dark green and full of wolves.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

even other guardian columnists find it ridiculous

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1102524554226868224

Who actually said that? Comments suggest a Labour MP?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

coffeetable posted:

^^ worth it

well I suppose I mean more "we need to combat it"

I hear Sweden has a system in place to counteract it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

i will accept that the consequences of efficient use of european terrain for the rest of the world have been pretty poor, so yeah maybe we should stop south america from doing the same before they get any ideas

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MollyMEP/status/1102501507864424448

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Mostly stuff about how her feud with Lucy Parsons was only about ideological differences, but I can't find anything now either so I've decided to retract it for now. I'll post if I find it again.

Yeah, the little bits I did see did seem centred on her feud with Parsons and I dunno, it's hard to work out how to separate genuine racial shittiness and a personal animosity from the little I've read on the topic. Still think Goldman was rad as hell though. All your faves are problematic.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
£1.6b seems a low offer as well.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

£1.6 over seven years, so really it's $220mn a year which is effectively a couple mil per district.

Aka the amount council rates normally go up if they follow inflation.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Hentai Jihadist posted:

LOL bad news about the next few decades pal

And the previous few decades. We're already going through a mass extinction event all thanks to human progress. The last event of this scale being the one that wiped out the dinosaurs. It's a catastrophe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Aw, poo poo, Keith Flint of The Prodigy is dead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Keith Flint's dead, what the gently caress :( [efb]

coffeetable posted:

^^ worth it
In some proto-Abrahamic religions the forbidden fruit was a bushel of corn.

Agriculture was bad because it allowed the formation of fixed hierarchies and property ownership and, but we ate that fruit a long time ago, and going backwards would be terrible.

Then a Jewish guy figured out how to pull bread out of thin air, but instead of a utopia he got persecuted.

This also explains why so much of the techbro singularity and other utopian postindustrialism sounds like the Second Coming.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
gently caress. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

gently caress