Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

LingcodKilla posted:

What the heck is a sapphire salmon. I hate market names.

Farmed Atlantic salmon. They advertise as being the first environmentally friendly fish farming operation. Basically they raise them in tanks rather than ocean pens, which means they’re not making GBS threads up the local ecosystem (literally and metaphorically. Fish farms are basically aquatic pig farms when it comes to poop).

I’ve heard the fish is OK. I mean, Atlantic salmon, but ok for that. A guy I used to know had a real hate-on for them but I think it was because they weren’t carbon neutral or something and he objected to the “environmentally friendly” line. Still better than most farming outfits. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cyrano4747 posted:

Farmed Atlantic salmon. They advertise as being the first environmentally friendly fish farming operation. Basically they raise them in tanks rather than ocean pens, which means they’re not making GBS threads up the local ecosystem (literally and metaphorically. Fish farms are basically aquatic pig farms when it comes to poop).

I’ve heard the fish is OK. I mean, Atlantic salmon, but ok for that. A guy I used to know had a real hate-on for them but I think it was because they weren’t carbon neutral or something and he objected to the “environmentally friendly” line. Still better than most farming outfits. :shrug:

Stupid loving market names. Sounds alright in practice. Better than pens in the wild. US needs to crack down on them like chicken producers. The damage they can do to the wild population is staggering compared to poultry.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

BigDave posted:

it can be eaten raw without being frozen.

You go right ahead but I'm gonna pass on that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

LingcodKilla posted:

Stupid loving market names. Sounds alright in practice. Better than pens in the wild. US needs to crack down on them like chicken producers. The damage they can do to the wild population is staggering compared to poultry.

Didn't a couple of fish farming pens bust open in Washington last year?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

therobit posted:

Yes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

therobit posted:

Quite a few of them got caught because the fat lazy cows stayed near their pens and rose to the surface when pebbles were tossed on the surface like fish chow.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Fish farms also smell disgusting, really really disgusting

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

TBH fish in any form is almost universally disgusting in smell.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Honestly cows, goats, and possibly sheep are like the only farmed animals that don't have poo poo lives aside from very small scale chicken operations. Chicken and pigs are depressing and smell. Feed lots for cows are awful as well but that at least is only the very end of their life and not their entire existence.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Honestly cows, goats, and possibly sheep are like the only farmed animals that don't have poo poo lives aside from very small scale chicken operations. Chicken and pigs are depressing and smell. Feed lots for cows are awful as well but that at least is only the very end of their life and not their entire existence.

A lot of it comes down to scale. If you free range or pasture raise your poultry you can have a pretty large flock living happily on a pretty small slice of land at any point, just rotate the poultry’s pasture just like any animal. They do really well if you put them in a pasture you just moved other livestock out of, since they forage for stuff livestock leaves alone, and they’ll eat the bugs out of the manure the livestock left and spread it around a bit better so you’ve got a healthier pasture afterwards.

Cage raising is hellish, though. The meat and eggs have no flavor or nutrition, the birds are miserable, and it’s bad for the land.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I enjoy buying eggs from farmers markets, there's a huge difference in taste and even how they cook. Personal experience, i'm sure your's would vary.

I think I bought a whole chicken once from a farmers market when I was in Kansas, and I remember it being really good as well when I BBQ'd it up.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'm about to take a drive up from SoCal through to NorCal and that will involve passing by several CAFOs (Confined Animal Feeding Operation) on the way there. My AC is totally busted, so I'm gonna get a nice dosage of that good ol' cow manure stench on the way up.

CAFOs are also pretty horrific for the land and especially for groundwater. Since most aquifers in the Central Valley have been raped and pillaged with extreme enthusiasm are in a depleted state, a lot of the shitwater runoff is washed away into existing creekbeds and gets to spend the summer baking in the sun. The central valley sucks.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much. My company sells it exclusively in our market (Upper Midwest), and chefs love it because they can pimp it as holistic environmentally friendly whatever to yuppies and charge triple what they paid for it.

Going from IT support to working at a fish company has been...strange, to say the least.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

Pretty much. My company sells it exclusively in our market (Upper Midwest), and chefs love it because they can pimp it as holistic environmentally friendly whatever to yuppies and charge triple what they paid for it.

Going from IT support to working at a fish company has been...strange, to say the least.

Please tell them to stop using stupid market names for local fish.

No I’m not getting fresh pacific dover sole. It’s slime sole.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LingcodKilla posted:

Please tell them to stop using stupid market names for local fish.

No I’m not getting fresh pacific dover sole. It’s slime sole.

Nope, we need to dress up crap fish by calling it something fancy sounding so restaurants can overcharge you for something that was scraped off the ocean floor.

Now pay $45 for this 3oz piece of California Gulf Fish!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh god that’s a new one what is it?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A White Guy posted:

I'm about to take a drive up from SoCal through to NorCal and that will involve passing by several CAFOs (Confined Animal Feeding Operation) on the way there. My AC is totally busted, so I'm gonna get a nice dosage of that good ol' cow manure stench on the way up.

CAFOs are also pretty horrific for the land and especially for groundwater. Since most aquifers in the Central Valley have been raped and pillaged with extreme enthusiasm are in a depleted state, a lot of the shitwater runoff is washed away into existing creekbeds and gets to spend the summer baking in the sun. The central valley sucks.

One thing we can agree on: most of California smells like poo poo.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh god that’s a new one what is it?

Nothing, I just made it up.

But give us 6 months and a surplus of bowfin, and you'll be seeing it at funerals and bar mitzvahs all over the Midwest!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Garçon, what's your catch of the day? I crave slimehead or toothfish

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's bloody brilliant.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That sound you hear isn't machine guns in the distance, it's everyone in Bangladesh making popcorn.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Army isn't all bad, sometimes you get to lay out an idiot officer and watch that officer get screamed at

AFewBricksShy posted:

I believe I've told this before but my Grandfather was a guard at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier back in the '50's.

He was doing his shift when a drunk officer of some sort of rank bought his date up to the tomb and decided to show off by having my Grandfather salute him. He did as the guards are instructed to and ignored the guy. The guy got in his face and was promptly met with the butt end of an M1.

While the guy got off the ground, my grandfather pressed the button that summoned the other (allowed to veer off the path) guards, and the guy was completely destroyed by my grandfather's commander, who then called the guys commanding officer, all the while his girlfriend awkwardly waited for her idiot boyfriend to be done being yelled at.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lmao

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

You glorious son of a bitch.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DoktorLoken posted:

TBH fish in any form is almost universally disgusting in smell.

Wahoo

Literally tastes/smells like chicken when cooked.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LCL-Dead posted:

Wahoo

Literally tastes/smells like chicken when cooked.

Hell yes to wahoo

If you haven't tried it raw immediately after catching you are missing out

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You can get canned wahoo at any commissary and it tastes, looks and smells like canned chicken. It’s weird but good.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Memento posted:

You glorious son of a bitch.

Tell maintenance there's a crack in the window

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Automatic Retard posted:

lmao

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Automatic Retard posted:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/Military/comments/7dy2d0/that_is_one_spicy_meatball_valmara_69/dq15chx/

:wtc:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

That reminds me of something from my brother's first deployment, are there still Soviet landmines sprinkled around Bagram? I could never tell if that was serious or if he was loving with me (or if someone was loving with him).

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

As Nero Danced posted:

That reminds me of something from my brother's first deployment, are there still Soviet landmines sprinkled around Bagram? I could never tell if that was serious or if he was loving with me (or if someone was loving with him).

Yes, there are still mines in and around BAF

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yes, there are still mines in and around BAF

Well in that case, to tie my brother into the thread properly he was warned this after he grabbed a sheet of metal and decided to sled down one of the berms.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

Well in that case, to tie my brother into the thread properly he was warned this after he grabbed a sheet of metal and decided to sled down one of the berms.

:psyboom:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

As Nero Danced posted:

So, when is he being promoted to E-7?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/KhurramHusain/status/1103260525432049664

International stories of idiots

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Man, people mistaking planets and Sirius for all sorts of poo poo never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Classic https://youtu.be/D-C6UvVGHto