Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sissywinkles
Feb 11, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Father Wendigo posted:

Is anyone left on PS4 who wouldn't mind helping me finish out the overtime challenges to get the free Battle Pass? I'm not sure if my usual crew will be around.

PSN ID is the same as my username here with an underscore instead of a space in the middle.

same but for my epic ID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I guess I'm the only one really enjoying the new StW loadout system. It may be because I have over a year's worth of legendary/mythic heroes and all 5 slots open, but if anything it's opened up waaay more options for me than it's closed.

Also I'm starting the grind to open up Twine Peaks; if anyone needs help with previous chapters ping me. My schedule is wonky but I'll figure something out.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

I guess I'm the only one really enjoying the new StW loadout system. It may be because I have over a year's worth of legendary/mythic heroes and all 5 slots open, but if anything it's opened up waaay more options for me than it's closed.

Also I'm starting the grind to open up Twine Peaks; if anyone needs help with previous chapters ping me. My schedule is wonky but I'll figure something out.

Almost everything you had before was more powerful and unique.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I bought save the world just to farm v bucks but it seems badly set up. At what point do the daily challenges with the 50 v bucks show up? I want to earn some sick new skins!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Almost everything you had before was more powerful and unique.
Over half of heroes I had were absolute trash and a dozen classes were bonkers powerful before. I rolled TeddShot Jess almost exclusively through Canney and there was at least one Urban Assault Soldier with me every game.

I'll admit you have to dump a *ton* of experience into heroes to actually get a good sideboard of support, but being able to customize with things like quadruple jump for ninja or leaving Roman candles, aftershocks on grenades, on phase shift makes a lot of the former trash tier heroes viable.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Over half of heroes I had were absolute trash and a dozen classes were bonkers powerful before. I rolled TeddShot Jess almost exclusively through Canney and there was at least one Urban Assault Soldier with me every game.

I'll admit you have to dump a *ton* of experience into heroes to actually get a good sideboard of support, but being able to customize with things like quadruple jump for ninja or leaving Roman candles, aftershocks on grenades, on phase shift makes a lot of the former trash tier heroes viable.

All of those abilities are super weak and don't actually do any damage to anything you need abilities to kill.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think the nerfed Outlanders main abilities a little too much. People are finding good builds though. Some of them require you to have certain heroes and weapons. There's a neat subzero zenith one that combines with a fast sniper rifle perked for CR that just constantly freezes everything.
There's some nice perks for constructors, like the Ice King has one that adds a snare to husks touching the area of their BASE.
Hopefully they'll be tweaking the system with each new release. The soldiers and outlanders both got nerfed way too much with their main abilities.
There are some interesting things you can do with the minigun perks that extend the time its out and reduce the downtime.
Ninjas got massive buffs and actually feel good to play now. I've completely swapped from playing outlanders to ninjas.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Nullsmack posted:

I think the nerfed Outlanders main abilities a little too much. People are finding good builds though. Some of them require you to have certain heroes and weapons. There's a neat subzero zenith one that combines with a fast sniper rifle perked for CR that just constantly freezes everything.
There's some nice perks for constructors, like the Ice King has one that adds a snare to husks touching the area of their BASE.
Hopefully they'll be tweaking the system with each new release. The soldiers and outlanders both got nerfed way too much with their main abilities.
There are some interesting things you can do with the minigun perks that extend the time its out and reduce the downtime.
Ninjas got massive buffs and actually feel good to play now. I've completely swapped from playing outlanders to ninjas.

That's about my takeaway. Constructors will be in a decent spot once they make ROSIE not a terrible waste of time and have decoy health scale properly. Bull Rush taking out walls and garbage is a game changer for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LionArcher posted:

So I bought save the world just to farm v bucks but it seems badly set up. At what point do the daily challenges with the 50 v bucks show up? I want to earn some sick new skins!

Just keep logging in daily and the v-bucks will add up. Some days you earn 300 v-bucks, some days 50, 100, all from just logging in. You can do the challenges for a little bit more v-bucks, but I can't be bothered with playing PvE anymore personally. Just too boring for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the dailies aren't worth it if you have no interest in the pve itself. it's like 50 cents for 20mins worth of work sometimes.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So I decided that I'd test my skills in the Gauntlet test event. The matchmaking is supposed to happen with players of around your point count, so I figured that maybe I'd eventually get some luck and not get owned in the face by some streamer near the end.

After a dozen games, I have a whopping ten points, with a 1:2 k:d ratio, twice as good as I normally am. So at least that's something. The leaderboard says it's in the top 8%, which I have a hard time believing.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Is it me, or are some of the new BR challenges pretty hard?

Like, "Deal 200 damage to an opponent riding a vehicle" would have been easy if Driftin' was still a thing, but people rarely ride vehicles in the other modes.

And "Deal 100 damage to an opponent using a pirate cannon"? Those things are so clunky to maneuver, it's gonna take forever to do.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
They tend to put the harder ones like that earlier in the season, so you have longer to get them done.

Try the cannon thing in a Team Rumble. I shot one non-stop into a highly contested area the other day, and eventually managed to hit someone once or twice.

Also, don't forget the new Party Assist thing!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

minato posted:

Like, "Deal 200 damage to an opponent riding a vehicle" would have been easy if Driftin' was still a thing, but people rarely ride vehicles in the other modes.

And "Deal 100 damage to an opponent using a pirate cannon"? Those things are so clunky to maneuver, it's gonna take forever to do.
I am not excited for the pirate cannon - we'll have to see how long it takes me.

For the deal damage to a vehicle - a turret counts. I did it in one team rumble game not really trying after spamming grenades. Apparently you can put up a turret then leave it there and then be ready to light it up once an enemy gets in the turret.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't like that drops are marked on the map now. Now they're always a huge clusterfuck no matter what and the rewards aren't good enough to stick your neck out like that.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Sounds like you should be on the look out for treasure maps then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I got into a point blank cannon fight with another player in team rumble and was able to cap off that challenge lmao. I could see them struggling to aim the cannon, poo poo was hilarious.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

This cannon damage thing is not fun at all!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

minato posted:

The vehicle thing would have been great for season 7, but now they do it after vaulting just about all the vehicles...

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Eh, those cannons are crap. They might be fine for shooting yourself across the map, but aiming them at enemies? It seems to require a lot of luck.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I lucked out with the cannon challenge so I’ve been doing to conga in Team Rumble by cannon spawns hoping I can help others with their challenges. And then I usually get shot by an AR or shotgun anyway.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Did anybody here do the merge accounts thing?

Did it really took 2 weeks to be completed?

TIA

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I usually play on Xbox or Switch. Today they moved the Switch lobby to be with mobile players instead of with Xbox/PS4. I'm pretty sure switch players will finally dominate this lobby.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa, for real? I feel like with sticks and gyro, Switch players will dunk on phone players.

I'm not complaining, maybe I'll get a win under my belt I wont, lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So now that the dust has settled how did you guys feel about last season? I feel it might have been the weakest one for me personally (started in s3) but maybe that was just due to some burnout.

The aggressive balancing made it hard to really get a feel for different strategies as things were removed almost as fast as they were added. And there was stuff like the awful sword fiasco as well as Frostnite just being Fortnitemares but less fun.

Haven't really had the time to sink my teeth into this season other than a handful of games here and there yet so I'm hoping it'll fare better. QOL stuff like pinging is already a step in the right direction.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:siren:

Reduced infinite dab duration from 12 hours to 11 hours in the front end

Just kidding, Increased Infinite dab duration from 12 hours to 13 hours in the front end

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Haven't really had the time to sink my teeth into this season other than a handful of games here and there yet so I'm hoping it'll fare better. QOL stuff like pinging is already a step in the right direction.
But wasn't there already a ping button? Now it's a new sound effect and graphic but they removed the symbol from the compass so it's even less helpful than before.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fritzler posted:

I usually play on Xbox or Switch. Today they moved the Switch lobby to be with mobile players instead of with Xbox/PS4. I'm pretty sure switch players will finally dominate this lobby.

That’s pretty dumb. I felt like gyro aiming put you on equal footing with 60fps console players. Now it’ll be super unfair for mobile players.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Switch used to be in Switch (and maybe mobile?) only lobbies. It was much, much easier to get wins then. When PS4 started crossplay, all consoles got lumped together in the duo+ playlists. Overnight the difficulty shot through the roof for switch players. I play with a group of two other switch users so we felt the impact and it was pretty discouraging. I eventually went out and bought a ps4 because I was tired of the hardware disadvantage.

After using both, I think that the game's aim assist is so strong that it greatly overwhelms any advantage gyro aiming gives (except for scoped snipers where there's no aim assist). Unfortunately the aim assist also becomes proportionally more effective as your FPS increases, so it's much better on ps4 than switch and even stronger on 144fps+ computer controller setups.

Anyway I'm happy for switch players getting back into reasonable lobbies, but sorry to my buddies who will still get pulled onto ps4 servers with me.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The cannon challenge is some serious bullshit.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I'd like to take this moment to say I got the cannonball challenge done in 1 shot, the very first rumble game I decided to try for it. Feels good.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
After hand-wringing about it, I got it on the first try. My Rumble match was centered on the Pirate Lagoon where of course there are loads of cannons on the ship, and players went out of their way to help opponents get the challenge done.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Raposa posted:

I'd like to take this moment to say I got the cannonball challenge done in 1 shot, the very first rumble game I decided to try for it. Feels good.

I did it in I think 3 shots in my first team rumble match the day that challenge went live :smug::respek::smug:

Git gud scrubs.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I'm very much enjoying the ball!

I can't wait until they nerf it to nothing and then remove it.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

tinkerballz posted:

Did anybody here do the merge accounts thing?

Did it really took 2 weeks to be completed?

TIA

I merged by PS4 and Switch accounts as soon as it was announced. There was a timer in the lobby that counted down the 2 weeks, but my merge went through after about a week.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

interpunct posted:

I merged by PS4 and Switch accounts as soon as it was announced. There was a timer in the lobby that counted down the 2 weeks, but my merge went through after about a week.

Thanks! Thats good news.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The ball is hella fun. It fills the mischief hole left by planes being vaulted.

Things I have discovered:

- Boost is directional. Aim up and boost, and you'll be able to jump pretty high.
- The boost isn't powerful enough to keep you airborne, but you can get quite a bit of speed on you if you take a volcano vent and keep boosting upward.
- Like other vehicles, the ball will be damaged by harsh landings. Come in with more forward momentum than downward momentum if you can.
- If you have gained enough speed, you will not just damage opponents, you can knock them back, and possibly down to their deaths. Did that to some poor soul in the Gauntlet tonight.
- Boosting into player building pieces will damage them, easily destroying wood in one good hit, or two bad ones. You can become a slow, awkward, tedious wrecking ball if you grapple on to the structure you're targeting itself.
- You can grapple on to opposing players while they're on, say, a driftboard, and simply have them drag you along. Some are cool with this. Some are not.
- All but the most serious players will ignore you in your ball if there's anything remotely more interesting around. Grappling to the top of a structure mid-fight and bailing out of the ball seems to catch a lot of people by surprise.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 14, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You can also grapple onto someone, have them get in a cannon with you still attached and launch with them.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

I did not miss doing squad fills for The Getaway LTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
If you press Left Trigger while grappled to something you let out some line and when you release the trigger you reel back in. Helpful for gaining momentum.
And if you boost while grappled you'll just start busting player built walls.
Also you can thwip in midair so Spider-Maning through Twisted is hilarious.
Still want planes back.