Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Relistening to their ep on somalia and al shaabab, have they done an ep on the Somali-Ethiopian conflict?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Relistening to their ep on somalia and al shaabab, have they done an ep on the Somali-Ethiopian conflict?

No iirc.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1097914415863742464

:unsmith:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Has there ever been a war nerd episode on the troubles?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Once again Dolan sympathizes with the losing side in the conflict.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Has there ever been a war nerd episode on the troubles?

yes. there’s a episode on the GFA.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's episode 122. I think there's another one but I'm not going to scroll any further on my phone.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Plutonis posted:

Once again Dolan sympathizes with the losing side in the conflict.
I’m more inclined to think Sanders will lose because Dolan is hoping for him.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

snoremac posted:

By the transitive property I now expect to see Bernie getting locked in bathrooms.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

e75 is also about the troubles

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He's right. The Chapo crew will never have the courage to spy for Iran.

They've promised to move to Tehran and go full Tokyo Rose if the USA ever invades Iran

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

snoremac posted:

Abscessed molar bros

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

coathat posted:

It's episode 122. I think there's another one but I'm not going to scroll any further on my phone.

StashAugustine posted:

e75 is also about the troubles

Sweet! Thank you very much.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ahh finally that new nerd feeling and it’s 3 hours long

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

coathat posted:

Ahh finally that new nerd feeling and it’s 3 hours long

the larouche part is insanely interesting. Can someone tell me if the eliott abrams part is worth a listen after the refresher chapo gave a week ago? I'd assume RWN being what it is would go more in-depth, but I thought the chapo ep was thorough enough

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
You get to hear a young Bill OReilly running cover for contra death squads as a CBS reporter.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This is really one of the best episodes they've done in a while. All the LaRouchite stuff is extremely fascinating. It's insane to contrast how annoying they are today with what they used to be, which was a gang of nunchaku-wielding psychopaths trying to crack leftist skulls.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 03:14 on Feb 23, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh hell yeah a Carl Zha ep

coathat
May 21, 2007

It’s out now 1979 Sino-Vietnamese war

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

which was a gang of nunchaku-wielding psychopaths trying to crack leftist skulls.

or as Mark would say, Num-chucks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echomadman posted:

or as Mark would say, Num-chucks

This is also how I used to say it. :blush:

Now I say "nunchucks".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I looked back at John's old article about India vs Pakistan and lol I forgot about its name no wonder he hasn't brought it back

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i wanna get the book they talked about just so i can see the recipts on the poo poo about the mujahedin lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

NATO soldiers crossing into East Berlin just to watch movies is something that never gets brought up, ever.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
have they talked about india-pak on the latest ep

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mila kunis posted:

have they talked about india-pak on the latest ep

New episode is about the CIA's involvement in the Paris Review. They talk about Kashmir at the end. I think they recorded it a day after Pakistan captured that pilot.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I wish there was a War Nerd meet or something here in Buenos Aires while Dolan is still around. I did message him (have talked on and off since his Exile days) about it but got no response. Then again, it seems he's been having health issues.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sephyr posted:

I wish there was a War Nerd meet or something here in Buenos Aires while Dolan is still around. I did message him (have talked on and off since his Exile days) about it but got no response. Then again, it seems he's been having health issues.

At least we can be sure its not a doppelganger.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
You probably can find him if cruise the hospital entrances and see a large american fidgeting about whether or not to go in.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

pangstrom posted:

You probably can find him if cruise the hospital entrances and see a large american fidgeting about whether or not to go in.

I feel enough like a stalker already.

I mean, inviting a great writer for a meal and some nerd talk, it's 'notice me sempai' enough!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Or maybe reverse the handle on a bathroom so it only locks from the outside, lock it, and he'll materialize inside.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I'm sure there are writers in the world who would be totally up for lunch with random fans in Buenos Aires and would have a great time doing it but I suspect our boy John is not one of them. No shade on you for trying, though.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

pangstrom posted:

Or maybe reverse the handle on a bathroom so it only locks from the outside, lock it, and he'll materialize inside.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Often Abbreviated posted:

I'm sure there are writers in the world who would be totally up for lunch with random fans in Buenos Aires and would have a great time doing it but I suspect our boy John is not one of them. No shade on you for trying, though.

1990s: "Get in the loving robot, Shinji".

2010s: "Get in the loving parrilla restaurant, Dolan."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dolan strikes me as the kind of guy who suffers immensely from impostor's syndrome.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

he looks nothing at all like gary brecher

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

once you spend enough time in academia to realize everyone else is an impostor, how can you ever be sure you arent?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is there a short version of why Matt Taibbi and Mark Ames don't get along anymore? Is it just something personal, or is it some substantive difference in outlook or something? Was it about Omidyar / First Look?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it seems pretty personal to me. the omidyar thing probably didn’t help, but like i dont think they hate eachother. i wish theyd hug it out, have a good cry, something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't know if there was some specific incident that pushed them apart, but from an outside perspective it seems unsurprising. Starting from more or less the same place in the 1990s, covering many of the same issues and using a very similar authorial voice, these two guys ended up have very divergent careers, with one achieving a lot of mainstream recognition and success while the other was semi-blacklisted from respectable journalism and relies heavily on a subscriber funded podcast. Combine that with two macho personalities and it seems like the bigger shock would be if they hadn't had some kind of falling out.