Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

TheHeadSage posted:

I will bow to the will of the thread and post a cat.

However he's mine, and you can't have him.

I'll give in to peer pressure and post a cat too. Gridanians hate them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Grimace posted:

I hope SE allows us to use the stubble the Warrior of Light has in the latest trailer for Shadowbringers. Derplander is using it in the preview for the FFXV content, so there's no real excuse except apathy if they don't officially implement it. I wanna use that growing beard really bad, because the basic mustache/beard setup looks like a lovely pre-teen on Midlander Hyurs. That one looks pretty great though.

I'm really crossing my fingers for this, the fact that it shows up in the 4.5 ingame trailer is gonna make me so confused if it doesn't make it in. Also please give it to everyone and not just midlanders. :pray:

Somewhat related, knowing they don't wanna do any more races and seeing how good Viera look, one of my top wishlist things for the future is to go back and either add more options to the old races, or at least visually touch up the ones we have. I can't imagine changing away from miqo'te really, but drat if seeing what a new race looks like this far into the game didn't make me a bit jealous.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SonicRulez posted:

A tale in 3 images.

Bookend.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

The magicite items are insanely rare. Totalled together you're looking at 25-30 mil for the whole set for good reason. You absolutely will not get them before hitting max level.

They're also completely worthless in practical terms. A full elemental +2 set with Physeos weapon outclasses two measly magicite by a hilarious degree. And unlike magicite items, elemental +2 and Physeos have no RNG involved :v:

If you ever get any of the items for 6th or 7th magicite? Do the smart thing and sell them to dumb rich people.

I will say, they are very good on tanks.

But yes sell them

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, the Scaevan gear. Several months from now it will be known as "that gear your tank wears while trying to wall-to-wall pull in the level 75 and 77 dungeons." :|

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Is it still cat time

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuMI3FIf5qQ

It's a Careless Whispers parody with FFXIV lyrics. It's really loving good, dudes.

Seriously, I don't know why this doesn't have about a hundred thousand views yet.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

im jealous and eternally sad I'll never get it due to my hatred of Eureka.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leofish posted:

There'll also be a vendor in Rhalgr's after MSQ completion that can give you upgrades to i380 crafted gear, which can be handy for filling in gaps while you build your Scaevan set. Look for J'tandhaa at 9.6-11.6, off to the side near the summoning bell.

The best part about handing in Rakshasa gear for tokens is that it doesn't need to be 1 for 1. You can hand in any HQ 380 weapon, for example, and get enough tokens to buy any other weapon, or a handful of accessories, or a piece of left-side gear. You do need Mendacity to buy the extra reagent at 100 tomes each, but Mendacity is easier to get and caps at 2000 instead of 450 per week still. A weapon requires 700 mendacity for the reagent plus 27 tokens. Handing in an HQ weapon that isn't a PLD sword gets you exactly 27 tokens.

The Yama gear doesn't allow for overmelding like Rakshasa gear does, but it's 10 ilvls higher and is roughly equivalent to Scaevan gear, stat-wise. 2 points of extra weapon damage, typically, over the crafted 380 items, notably.

Does overmelding really matter if you're not pushing cutting edge content though

Like when I was gearing up my RDM people kept telling me stuff like "don't buy x because you can't overmeld!" and I'm sitting here like "bruh I just want to finish the msq" (and then the normal trials and orbonne but still)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 4, 2019

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

my cat developed a skin condition and I’m kind of ok with it

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We posting cats???

I am a man of may fashions.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Leveling BLM and I now care so deeply about doing the most dps that it’s clouded my vision for anything else. I can’t believe how competitive this has made me.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

IcePhoenix posted:

Does overmelding really matter if you're not pushing cutting edge content though

Like when I was gearing up my RDM people kept telling me stuff like "don't buy x because you can't overmeld!" and I'm sitting here like "bruh I just want to finish the msq" (and then the normal trials and orbonne but still)

It's not a huge deal, no. I mean, more damage never hurts but it's not strictly required for anything other than high parses. If you're having trouble clearing a specific piece of content, go overmeld stuff if that might help clear it, otherwise do whatever.

That said, some jobs make use of overmelds to hit very specific skill/spell speed tiers. Pre-Hydatos DRG BiS had three SkS Vs overmelded, for instance.

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

This thread needs more Elezen, so here's mine:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Leofish posted:

I'm sorry, I thought I overheard the phrase "old elezen" at one point?

Your grandpa is extremely powerful and cool.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Chakan posted:

Leveling BLM and I now care so deeply about doing the most dps that it’s clouded my vision for anything else. I can’t believe how competitive this has made me.

Welcome!

I'll admit I'm on the verge of caving and just doing Eureka to get that mount, though since I've barely touched it I'm not sure I would be able to make it before SB given the amount I tend to play.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Chakan posted:

This was me in pretty much all of wow.

ACT lags the poo poo out of me but who knows maybe it's for the best that I don't use it.

.... Is there like a setting or something I might be missing that might make it less laggy? Cause it even goes so far as to crash sometimes.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

So I started a trial account because there was a free 30-day thing on Twitch or wherever and now I have a level 23 catte (sorry, no pictures yet) that I'm having a ton of fun plowing through the msq quests with. I just got to the "pick a Grand Company" part, if that helps with where I'm at.

If I'm going to bite the bullet and subscribe, what's my best option? Should I go ahead and get the 2 expansions now, or just get the basic game and wait for the new expansion to come out?

Leaping Mutton
Feb 27, 2010

What could go wrong?
Unless you gonna switchto an Au Ra, you may as well wait for Shadow Bringers. However, if you pre-order it you get some EXP boosting earrings straight away, as well as both previous expansions on release, so there's that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So this is what it's like to pre-order Shadowbringers.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuMI3FIf5qQ

It's a Careless Whispers parody with FFXIV lyrics. It's really loving good, dudes.

Seriously, I don't know why this doesn't have about a hundred thousand views yet.

Thank you for sharing this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So this is what it's like to pre-order Shadowbringers.

Fortunately I don't have that problem since I just immediately stuffed him in my bag never to see the light of day again.

Magic Bucket forever.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wylie posted:

So I started a trial account because there was a free 30-day thing on Twitch or wherever and now I have a level 23 catte (sorry, no pictures yet) that I'm having a ton of fun plowing through the msq quests with. I just got to the "pick a Grand Company" part, if that helps with where I'm at.

If I'm going to bite the bullet and subscribe, what's my best option? Should I go ahead and get the 2 expansions now, or just get the basic game and wait for the new expansion to come out?

IIRC it's free up to level 35, and the base game covers up to level 50. Since you've gotten to 23 so far, I imagine you'll hit 50 before SBr comes out but unless you find a sale of Stormblood in the meantime, best to grab the base game and see how long it takes for you to get to 50 before asking yourself if you can sit around waiting.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Anemos and Pagos down. I have been informed that I am now through the worst parts of Eureka. I am concerned that the brain worms have got me though because I haven't minded it too much already. Outside of the insanely stupid travel times in Pagos, I guess. Whomever made that little forked path to get to the top left and top right needs to be shot out of a giant novelty cannon or something.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Zodiac5000 posted:

Anemos and Pagos down. I have been informed that I am now through the worst parts of Eureka. I am concerned that the brain worms have got me though because I haven't minded it too much already. Outside of the insanely stupid travel times in Pagos, I guess. Whomever made that little forked path to get to the top left and top right needs to be shot out of a giant novelty cannon or something.

Pagos is about 100x more friendly now than it was when it was current. It was aggressively terrible when it came out

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xaitil posted:

This thread needs more Elezen,

understood! (am bad at /gpose though)

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Zodiac5000 posted:

Just remember whenever you encounter something you don't like in Eureka that literally all of FFXIV 1.0 (and FFXI for most of its lifetime) was like this. I believe (not 100% sure) that the director of FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 (Komoto?) is the person in charge of Eureka (and was in charge of Diadem - hence why it had to be removed and reworked). He got demoted but not entirely shitcanned after the failure of 1.0, but because of the way Japanese companies respect time served and company elders, I guess he gets to stick around and keep trying to resurrect turn of the millennia style MMO gameplay in a limited fashion.

That said, I do enjoy Eureka and managed to complete one weapon (the RDM weapon). Might try for 2, but frankly I like the Pyros Axe better than the Eureka one, so I may just call it quits on Eureka and let my sub lapse until we get some more story content. I've more or less given up hope on getting through BA as it is at the moment given my distaste for discord (I blame Eve goonswarm mumble for spoiling me with a no chatter channel in the past).

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm not home to take more pics, so enjoy this #rare photo of Hydatos in clear weather.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Vitamean posted:

I'm not home to take more pics, so enjoy this #rare photo of Hydatos in clear weather.

That water is almost waist high on Lalafell.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it goes deeper elsewhere

strong bird
May 12, 2009

not deep enough. drown em

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you first 😉

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Argas posted:

IIRC it's free up to level 35, and the base game covers up to level 50. Since you've gotten to 23 so far, I imagine you'll hit 50 before SBr comes out but unless you find a sale of Stormblood in the meantime, best to grab the base game and see how long it takes for you to get to 50 before asking yourself if you can sit around waiting.

Man I picked the worst time to start playing this. I made level 35 in one week and I imagine I'll hit 50 long before July at this rate.

If you don't have any of the expansions, is any experience you gain after you hit 50 applied retroactively once you get an expansion, or do you straight up stop receiving xp at 50 until you cough up the $$?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Zodiac5000 posted:

Anemos and Pagos down. I have been informed that I am now through the worst parts of Eureka.

I'm finding early Pyros to be my least favorite so far. The mob density and map bottlenecks have gotten me killed more than the other two by far. Add to that everyone wanting to just sit and wait for NMs to pop rather than doing anything to spawn them, and I just want to scream.

Sitting in one place grinding mobs forever isn't exactly engaging gameplay, but I'd much rather that than spend most of my "game" time watching TV.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
It helps that I am doing my Eureka at the same time as three of my friends, so the three of us juts go around prepping FATEs ourselves, I wager.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Bruteman posted:

Man I picked the worst time to start playing this. I made level 35 in one week and I imagine I'll hit 50 long before July at this rate.

If you don't have any of the expansions, is any experience you gain after you hit 50 applied retroactively once you get an expansion, or do you straight up stop receiving xp at 50 until you cough up the $$?

Nope, you stop getting XP at 50, though you can start leveling up alternate jobs to 50 if you want to.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Difficult to decide if I want to stay catman or become bun boy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We don't even know if male viera will be a thing yet

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Bruteman posted:

You can try out crafting if that’s your thing, and the side content like Hildebrand and the gold saucer, but to level past 50 you need HW.

Edit: to be clear, you can’t level crafters past 50 either, but crafting hasn’t changed so much you aren’t getting a pretty fair representation of what it’s like at max. You can also make decent money even with level 50 crafters by just finding a market you can exploit.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 4, 2019