Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I've been playing this since Tuesday. I'm still not great with the motion control stuff, and I'm still getting used to dodging. I just spent the last three hours getting extremely lost after finishing Vah Ruta, and wound up getting caught in a thunderstorm and losing my metal equipment before I finally found the Ridgeland Tower and somehow managed to activate it.

It's fun, but the wide-openess is sort of hard to get used to (I've never really played open-world games before).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
On my first playthrough, Ridgeland Tower was the last was the last one I wound up activating. Of the three types of elemental enemies in the game, Lightning Enemies are the worst.

jisforjosh posted:

First 2 bows do 4 damage a shot, double damage for the face hit so that's 23 a cycle, still ~87 times.

It doesn't matter where you are in the game, you can fail to resource properly and wind up fighting a Lynel without enough weapons to do direct damage before you run out. Even if you did (and it would probably be very difficult because of how they jump), you might be able to eke out a slaying (or glitch the Lynel to someplace where it won't fight back) with bombs.

That said, the fan-created "Great Plateau Challenge" involves killing every creature on the Great Plateau in Master Mode before getting the Paraglider, including the White-Maned Lynel. Admittedly, in standard mode there isn't a Knight's Claymore on the Plateau.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I totally killed that lynel before i left the plateau. That might have been the most fun i had on master mode. As soon as i found the knight's claymore i knew what i wanted to do with it. Then it's just a matter of scrounging up some attack up ingredients, which is possible in the plateau, and being very very good at not getting hit.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I really hope the next zelda is open world like this one. I regret how I played this game, switching to master mode half way through, and jetting around the map just fulfilling objectives, half of which I had already done. And now towards the end I'm realizing that master mode takes more away from the game than it adds, as far as I'm concerned. I'm 30 hours in and I've traversed most of everything, while my girlfriend is at hour 100, two divine beasts down, and is just enjoying the act of patiently taking everything in.

I think other open world games have conditioned me to be too focused on tangible, mechanical rewards and objectives, because most of them don't reward exploration or following your random impulses like botw.

Definitely don't regret turning off the HUD early on, though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Five. More. Shrines.

Jesus

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
The final 5 shrines are where the game is its hardest.

You swear you've covered so much ground and seen so much poo poo yet somehow 5 of those loving things still evaded you?

The Hebra region is especially dickish for how it hides shrines.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm doing a second playthrough after about a year and I'm turning off the HUD and the beepy sensor-thing. Gonna see how far I can make it with 'environmental clues' and 'following directions' and other such nonsense. (Last time I just beelined to every objective, climbing directly over obstacles, walls, monuments, etc)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ProjektorBoy posted:

The final 5 shrines are where the game is its hardest.

You swear you've covered so much ground and seen so much poo poo yet somehow 5 of those loving things still evaded you?

The Hebra region is especially dickish for how it hides shrines.

I’m considering getting the number of shrines there are by region and seeing where I need to focus. Seems like a less spoilery compromise.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I've been playing this since Tuesday. I'm still not great with the motion control stuff, and I'm still getting used to dodging. I just spent the last three hours getting extremely lost after finishing Vah Ruta, and wound up getting caught in a thunderstorm and losing my metal equipment before I finally found the Ridgeland Tower and somehow managed to activate it.

It's fun, but the wide-openess is sort of hard to get used to (I've never really played open-world games before).

You can turn off the motion controls for bow aiming if you in the options.

E: proofreading. :smith:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 3, 2019

sissywinkles
Feb 11, 2019

by R. Guyovich
he own options

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Played this again during the weekend, unaware that today is actually the 2nd anniversary of the game. Huh.

I sure hope they bring linearity back, since walking the Zora trail was one of my best experiences in the game. Also less rock climbing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Bring back the Hookshot

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bring back the Hookshot

:hmmyes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bring back even less linearity. The less carried over from the old games, the better :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bring back even less linearity. The less carried over from the old games, the better :colbert:

This is dumb. BotW carried over a ton of stuff from the older games, specifically like half of Skyward Sword's stuff, and was better for it. Its a clear iteration on Skyward Sword and you can trace its lineage back through all the other Zelda games.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy 2nd birthday to Breath of The Wild :3:

https://twitter.com/Royal_SMO/status/1102087123438452736

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just beat the final boss.

Was the intended strategy for the last quarter of the first part seriously just “hope you have your shield power up!”, or was there some other way to break his invulnerability?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Just beat the final boss.

Was the intended strategy for the last quarter of the first part seriously just “hope you have your shield power up!”, or was there some other way to break his invulnerability?

There are many ways to break the invulnerability. He's briefly vulnerable immediately after every attack, so doing a parry or a flurry rush can get you in there. When he's doing the laser attack, parrying the laser will be timed perfectly to hit him. If you can go into bullet time, you may be able to shoot a weak spot during the moment when his shield goes down. I think that even just detonating a bomb at the right instant will do. I'm pretty sure Urbosa's Fury bypasses the invulnerability altogether.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

mirror mode

MiRoR MODE

MIRROR MODE!!!?

nintendo...when???

just flip it horizontal and temporarily fool my brain into getting a nother zillion hours outta this very good video game :negative:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Flip the vertical

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Bloop posted:

Flip the vertical

not yet!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flip is 90 degrees and make it so you have the scale the entire map :getin:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm Zora Suiting up the entire length of the river

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Invert the z axis you cowards.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

now this I'm into

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

plot twist you only get one circle of stamina

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

plot twist you only get one circle of stamina

set a fast travel point at the top of the map and use free-fall to get around

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Actual loving dungeons

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Darknuts and Iron Knuckles

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Where's my recorder tornado?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dictator. posted:

set a fast travel point at the top of the map and use free-fall to get around

45 degrees and shield surf alllll the way down.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This is literally my favorite game of all time. It is what I imagined in my head as I played the original Legend of Zelda and what I pretended it was when myself and the neighbor kids would "play" Zelda outside together.

I genuinely hope the next Zelda is just this game again, made bigger, more items, additional means of travel and traversal (hookshot would be fun), more enemies, etc. Maybe more quests. Additionally more Tarry towns! Let me rebuild all the towns. 4 more dungeons, 40 less shrines. Or just condense the 120 into 60 and offer twice the puzzles in each shrine. For a world as massive and lively as it feels, dungeons feel incredibly lonely and desolate, rather than the hive of baddies they used to.

I doubt any of that will be the case for a sequal, but if I were spouting my personal wish list, that'd be it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Saxophone posted:

This is literally my favorite game of all time. It is what I imagined in my head as I played the original Legend of Zelda and what I pretended it was when myself and the neighbor kids would "play" Zelda outside together.

I genuinely hope the next Zelda is just this game again, made bigger, more items, additional means of travel and traversal (hookshot would be fun), more enemies, etc. Maybe more quests. Additionally more Tarry towns! Let me rebuild all the towns. 4 more dungeons, 40 less shrines. Or just condense the 120 into 60 and offer twice the puzzles in each shrine. For a world as massive and lively as it feels, dungeons feel incredibly lonely and desolate, rather than the hive of baddies they used to.

This, but give Link a farming patch and a cat friend as well :3:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Fffffishiiiiiing gently caress

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Mameluke posted:

This, but give Link a farming patch and a cat friend as well :3:

Breath of the Stardew Valley.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

This, but give Link a farming patch and a dog friend as well :3:

I demand greater integration of dog treasure

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just make the next game one massive dungeon, Grimrock style.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I demand greater integration of dog treasure

Por que no los dos, I'd like to see a DOG catch fish and bugs for Link

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Steve2911 posted:

Just make the next game one massive dungeon, Grimrock style.

They kinda messed with that idea with Phantom Hourglass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I beat Vah Medoh. I had to burn through my supply of elemental arrows during the boss fight because I wasted all my normal ones trying to hit the corruption eyeball near the gondola only to discover that I wasn’t hitting it because I was using a dinky Bokoblin bow.