Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

i think u mean GNU plus linux sir

i really don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

this may not be a sincere opinion and may reflect a lack of foot pickings in your diet

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
So are there any good Android phones yet?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
some of the nokia ones look alright.

i mean, they still run android, but other than that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

android performance benchmarks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yeah anroids biggest problem is definitely the speed of the processors????

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, but the non-apple arm processors also suck rear end

out of the article this was pulled from this is the only chart that even included iphones, maybe you can guess why.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
great job team, glad to see the new pixel three winning in performance tests against the iphone 6s!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fart simpson posted:

yeah anroids biggest problem is definitely the speed of the processors????

can't be lovely software no sir, must be the hardware

how about more ram? i think maybe 16gb would get us there

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

can't be lovely software no sir, must be the hardware

all of the little lags, hitching and general jankiness are lovely software, yes

that doesn’t change the fact that apple’s chips are way beyond anything in an android though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to no small part because apple throws a lot of hardware on the problem, the a12 in an iphone has >3x the transistors of a 4-core kaby lake i7.

not that that changes the fact that iphones are fast as hell, but it is not quite right to think apple just has some secret sauce, there is very much a straight resource race as well

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also lol if you think qualcomm has had any incentive to make actually fast hardware. if you're not rolling your own silicon your choices are "qualcomm" and "last year's qualcomm designs that they're selling cheaper".

maybe now that there are multiple manufacturers fabbing their own chips you'll see android phones at least competing with each other on hardware performance, instead of just being about who's oem customizations slow the exact same processor down the least

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the earlier take was right though, the socs stuffed in android phones are fine from a performance/functionality perspective (though mostly not fine on a wonky closed-source impossible-to-port driver/firmware slush perspective, a different subject matter entirely), android being a bit janky is indeed mostly about software (and electron app prevalence seems likely insurance that this will forever remain the case even if more hardware is thrown at the problem)

some frame drops here and there is one of androids lesser problems these days in my experience though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

to no small part because apple throws a lot of hardware on the problem, the a12 in an iphone has >3x the transistors of a 4-core kaby lake i7.

not that that changes the fact that iphones are fast as hell, but it is not quite right to think apple just has some secret sauce, there is very much a straight resource race as well

intel is in the business of selling square millimeters of silicon for the maximum amount of money. Apple is in the business of selling the best phones for the maximum amount of money. if intel decided that they want to optimize for performance rather than dollars per sqmm they could go ahead and do that, but they’re not going to because they have to justify their investment in fabs and process research.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

So are there any good Android phones yet?

no lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

intel is in the business of selling square millimeters of silicon for the maximum amount of money. Apple is in the business of selling the best phones for the maximum amount of money. if intel decided that they want to optimize for performance rather than dollars per sqmm they could go ahead and do that, but they’re not going to because they have to justify their investment in fabs and process research.

i suspect there are other strategic reasons for the rather overkill soc's (and it may involve the death of the mac as we know it), but largely agreed yeah. mostly wanted to illustrate that the mental model i think most of us used to have, where a phone soc was a small thing constrained in every way, is no longer at all correct

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

Apple is in the business of selling the best phones for the maximum amount of money.

lol

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Management posted:

Apple is in the business of selling the cheapest phones they can get away with for the maximum amount of money.

ftfy

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i suspect there are other strategic reasons for the rather overkill soc's (and it may involve the death of the mac as we know it), but largely agreed yeah. mostly wanted to illustrate that the mental model i think most of us used to have, where a phone soc was a small thing constrained in every way, is no longer at all correct

less sinister thought: the soc also has to drive 13 inch pro iPads and to do have need more oomph

I mean, I think

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

less sinister thought: the soc also has to drive 13 inch pro iPads and to do have need more oomph

I mean, I think

ipads pro use an upgraded version. they're not *quite* the same

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
this thing is unusable

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I think my misfit vapor is toast. Factory reset it, installed minimal apps and then used it around the house yesterday. It would stay at some battery levels forever and then lose 10-15% in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes. When I rebooted it off the charger when at a lower state of charge, the display would flicker with lines like this person's video (along with losing another 20% battery after the reboot.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvpu2ifF0MU

It managed to last about 6 hours off the charger.

Seems like the battery is busted and is struggling to give enough current under high drain situations.

Really disappointing for a device that's only 14 months old. My moto 360/2 doesn't have great battery life anymore either, but that sucker is over 3 years old now and it still works properly. I wonder if I could find my receipt and see if the card I bought it on offers extended warranty protection to at least get my money back.

I may pick up a Galaxy Watch Active next week as a cheap way to dip my toe into Tizen, but it also may be too tiny to consider. Boo 40mm case

love to dip my toe in gutter tier oses.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jeffery posted:

this thing is unusable

we don't need to hear about your dick

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Stymie posted:

i'm starting to come around on the removal of headphone jacks from devices because nobody needs to be constantly listening to music

everything you post is terrible

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Millstone posted:

everything you post is terrible

for the love of god, don't quote stymie

dude has nothing to contribute except attempts to gently caress with us, he is the black sucking void of forums discourse

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for the love of god, don't quote stymie

dude has nothing to contribute except attempts to gently caress with us, he is the black sucking void of forums discourse
if you cant beat them, join them and embrace the void

Stymie posted:

i'm starting to come around on the removal of headphone jacks from devices because nobody needs to be constantly listening to music
same, the worst ones are people crossing the road with them on and you can never tell if they knew they were few feet away from getting creamed

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

coke posted:

same, the worst ones are people crossing the road with them on and you can never tell if they knew they were few feet away from getting creamed

are you seriously boasting about the fact that you almost hit a pedestrian

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

coke posted:

for gently caress's sake

another nobody non-poster here to school us about ... quoting black sucking voids

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

My Linux Rig posted:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
*nearly hits a woman and her child*

This particular intersection is only a marked cross walk (not at a light with "designated stop lines". And, no flags. Also, in the shade of trees. I am not sure what happened, as by the time we came past, there were plenty of cars stopped and people around to help, and the firetruck was just approaching. But, what I can say is that pedestrians as well as drivers have a responsibility. It isn't just one or the other. The small child was being looked after a bystander when we went by, and the location of the woman made me wonder if perhaps he'd run into the road or something as I couldn't figure out any reason she would have been hit at all right then.

Not for us to determine cause/how it happened. But, it is good to remind everyone that there are at least 2 parties to every pedestrian accident.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my android voicemail app is a pos

it fails to fetch voicemails in the background due to an unspecified error, so I have to manually check it after each missed call like a loving caveman

when the phone is in do not disturb mode, it will playback voicemails, but with no sound. so it won't throw an error, refuse to play, or prompt you to turn off dnd. it just does the least useful action - play without sound. I only discovered this because i thought someone left me a minute and a half of silence

thanks for listening it helps to talk about this stuff

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

my android voicemail app is a pos

it fails to fetch voicemails in the background due to an unspecified error, so I have to manually check it after each missed call like a loving caveman

when the phone is in do not disturb mode, it will playback voicemails, but with no sound. so it won't throw an error, refuse to play, or prompt you to turn off dnd. it just does the least useful action - play without sound. I only discovered this because i thought someone left me a minute and a half of silence

thanks for listening it helps to talk about this stuff

Anroid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just wanted to post that it's p cool that everything is going to usb-c finally. it's neat to be able to mix and match laptop chargers between any recent models regardless of manufacturer, and also use the same one for my phone in a pinch. like i just noticed that my phone battery is low, was too lazy to get up and walk over to its charger, but oh look at that i can just unplug my wireless keyboard and use that cable and it just works.

my laptop has 2x USB-C and 3x USB-A and that's excellent and appropriate for the next 5 years or so, but i hope usb-c continues to grow and doesn't get replaced with some other proprietary dogshit a year from now

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
the best part is being able to buy a $30 switch charger at any walmart if you left your $100 mpb charger at home

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah it's great, I just wish my stupid MacBook wasn't exclusively USB c

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah that's real dumb. i put my 14" thinkpad beside a friend's 15" mbp and it's exactly the same thickness both open and closed, but in the thinkpad they managed to fit three regular usb ports and a full size hdmi as well as the two usb-c. apple has zero excuse.

other than courage, i guess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

unplug my wireless keyboard

wait a minute mister what are you tryin' to pull

coke
Jul 12, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

nah i dont even really drive but there are dashcam videos of pedestrians with their head down or with earbuds while crossing the road

there are also people asking about how to wear earbuds under their helmet so they can ride and talk on the phone or listen to music at the same time, while riding the scooter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

samsung still can't quite manage that whole face unlock thing

or rather they manage it a little too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

love 2 store my unchangeable biometric identification on my sarnsung andoird