Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

So Math posted:

Yes! These are usually called a USB MIDI host. Here's the first couple I found searching online.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kenton-midi-usb-host
https://www.serdashop.com/USBMIDIHost

Thanks! I found a page to make one with an Arduino (Already own one) but I'm not sure if I can be arsed to do it, or risk shorting something if I gently caress up.

This one looks like it would do the job nicely.

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter

Edit:

I guess you can also use a Raspberry Pi as a host and just connecting one of those $10 usb midi kits for a pc, since a RP is basically a mini-pc. That might be the route I'll go first since I have a Pi collecting dust downstairs next to my Arduino. It should be all plug and play vs soldering expansion boards. I'll follow up when / if I do this I guess.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pink Ninja
Sep 19, 2006

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I'm a drummer but don't have a kit right now and thinking about grabbing a drum machine to play with, not sure what the best intro machine is but looking at the

Alesis SR-16/18 (seems like they both have velocity-sensitive pads which seems important)
Korg Volcabeats

or a Tabla Machine which is obviously very different
https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Tabla-Digital-Compact-Instruction/dp/B007513CA2#customerReviews

Does anyone have recommendations on which to go for or other models that are good but 100-200$ range?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

The Pink Ninja posted:

I'm a drummer but don't have a kit right now and thinking about grabbing a drum machine to play with, not sure what the best intro machine is but looking at the

Alesis SR-16/18 (seems like they both have velocity-sensitive pads which seems important)
Korg Volcabeats

or a Tabla Machine which is obviously very different
https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Tabla-Digital-Compact-Instruction/dp/B007513CA2#customerReviews

Does anyone have recommendations on which to go for or other models that are good but 100-200$ range?

might be worth looking at an electribe 2, they’re pretty cheap used (picked mine up for 170) and have velocity sensitive pads, 16 voices active at once and onboard effects. it does digital synth stuff too but nothing’s stopping you from ignoring that and building a bunch of 16-voice drum kits, that’s how I mostly use mine. also can run on batteries which is a nice plus

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

A tabla would be cool but if you’re making western music would be kinda missing in some areas... aren’t most tabla beats like 9/4 and 11/4

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The SR-16 is a great no-frills drum machine. I like the feel of the pads on the SR-18 more, but the 16 does exactly what you think a drum machine would do: record and play back drum beats with some degree of velocity and tweakablity. The 18 also has significantly more bells n whistles when it comes to sounds.

Personally, I get a little lost navigating without a 16-step sequencer. If you want that, then the Beats (or the Volca Sample) might be more up your alley, but it doesn't have velocity.

If I was actually a drummer and looking for a playable instrument? Go with one of the Alesis boxes, IMO. Cheap, easy to get into, still "playable." I regret selling my SR-16 pretty regularly.

The Pink Ninja
Sep 19, 2006

Without a sequencer are you just playing in a loop in real time? I'm leaning towards the SR-18 since used it's not much more than the 16.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Pink Ninja posted:

Without a sequencer are you just playing in a loop in real time?

Yeah. You can program a drum beat into the SR, but it's a lot more complicated and less user friendly than just playing the loop by hand and then playing it back (with whatever degree of quantization you want.) I like the step sequencer method because you can see what point in the measure you're editing at a glance so you're not accidentally editing based on feel and then discovering your loop is accidentally off by an eight note or something.

If you're going used there are a bunch of 16s on Reverb for less than $100, while the 18 looks to be almost double that or more. In either case, I think they're decent starter units. And poo poo, I know of death and grindcore bands that performed with the drat things.

edit: To clarify, the SR-16 HAS a sequencer, it wouldn't function without it, and it's remarkably fiddly for fine-tuning beats. It's just not as immediately visible to me as an 808-style interface.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 4, 2019

The Pink Ninja
Sep 19, 2006

I think I'm buying the volca sampler, it can do everything the volca beat can but better and is probably better for just monkeying around.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah the SR-16 menu interface is loving terrible, and I like visble sequencers myself, they're just intuitive. I found editing with it an absolute bore. But as a stereo kit sound it's quite good, these days I just cheat with SR-16 samples into a sequencer. But for hands-on stuff you want to look elsewhere. Something like an old Boss DR-660, still got a lot of fun in those kinds of interfaces by comparison.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Looks like the Volca Drum is getting released soon. The UK retailers are showing stock arriving in approx two weeks, so I should be able to use this for the thread competition.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
finally got a desk to use just for my music gear and am trying to figure out the best way to lay things out. I think I'd like to get a stand or two to maximize desktop real estate if anyone has recommendations for the best way to make use of the working area. My laptop will definitely be over here whenever I do any recording too.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zEm6hK9

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 5, 2019

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'd get a full desk width riser in the back to get the monitors up closer to ear level, as well as freeing up desk real estate underneath them. Center of the riser could be used for either the laptop or more gear.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Splinter posted:

I'd get a full desk width riser in the back to get the monitors up closer to ear level, as well as freeing up desk real estate underneath them. Center of the riser could be used for either the laptop or more gear.

yeah, I think that's a good idea... I really like this Grovemade one but I think for the price I can probably just make my own, I even have some walnut ply already.: https://grovemade.com/product/walnut-desk-shelf/?initial=342

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That seems like way to much to spend for something that isn't going to match the desk and may not even be an ideal height for your purposes. I'm thinking you might want something a bit taller so you can actually use gear that is under it (enough space to reach your hand under and twiddle knobs). If you already have a wooden board of roughly proper size, I'd experiment a bit with height by just stacking it on books (or whatever). Once you've got the height dialed in (use it for a bit to be sure), either look for a product that roughly matches what you want, or build something yourself. It shouldn't take too much work to DIY something decent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
yoga blocks make great risers for monitors and are available in every color imaginable on Amazon for real cheap.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
The difference between nearfield monitors at chest height vs. ear height is much bigger than you might think, and literally everyone has used books to get there at one point or another. Everything else is personal preference, but get some books under those speakers and get them pointed straight at your ears for the sweet spot.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ortazel posted:

The difference between nearfield monitors at chest height vs. ear height is much bigger than you might think, and literally everyone has used books to get there at one point or another. Everything else is personal preference, but get some books under those speakers and get them pointed straight at your ears for the sweet spot.

yeah, I mean these aren't even true monitors, at some point I'll upgrade them, they're just here to get me by for the time being.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MMD3 posted:

finally got a desk to use just for my music gear and am trying to figure out the best way to lay things out. I think I'd like to get a stand or two to maximize desktop real estate if anyone has recommendations for the best way to make use of the working area. My laptop will definitely be over here whenever I do any recording too.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zEm6hK9
This is a good stand: height and (somewhat) width adjustable, can fit a piece of gear underneath, optionally even clamps to the desk, and most importantly it's rock solid. Intended for a laptop, but it'll easily hold your Drumbrute or anything of a roughly similar size.

https://www.adamhall.com/shop/bd-en/stands-tripods/multimedia-equipment/5525/slt-001?c=17140

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MMD3 posted:

yeah, I think that's a good idea... I really like this Grovemade one but I think for the price I can probably just make my own, I even have some walnut ply already.: https://grovemade.com/product/walnut-desk-shelf/?initial=342

Yes you can make your own it's really easy and cheap. I just purchased 4 feet and a piece of plywood and 5 minutes later this was done

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yes you can make your own it's really easy and cheap. I just purchased 4 feet and a piece of plywood and 5 minutes later this was done

What stands are you using for the volcas?

Also agreed on making your own. I made mine with an Ikea shelf and some legs for like $15 or $20.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Extortionist posted:

What stands are you using for the volcas?

Also agreed on making your own. I made mine with an Ikea shelf and some legs for like $15 or $20.

Also home made :) Something similar to this but with more room between the units to let cables run:

But since then I sold all my volcas (with the stands) to finance the modular setup :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This might not be here nor there, but I figure a lot of you reading this might enjoy them. That Sibelius takedown :stare:

Really gets you thinking about skeumorphism, and the stuff Reason does right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PFRyONURSo

Sibelius has terrible UI design, godDAMN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKx1wnXClcI

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
is there a way to make the original kaossilator's pad more precise? sticking a grid to it, somehow? using a stylus does help, at least.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I've seen people glue graph paper to it, and I've seen people circuit bend the CPU. It's a little early amongst Korg gear to have a secret MIDI brain like the Monotribe, I think. Replace the touch pad with a longer soft potentiometer? :shrug:

As it stands, my oldest synth is a Kaossilator Pro, and I've been having fun manipulating MIDI with OSCulator to step sequence it from my SQ-1.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
interesting, in that case i might get a pro and use the original for flavor. thanks

edit: circuit bending intrigues me, i should look this up...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New Serum update out or coming out:

https://twitter.com/steve_duda/status/1103322343336599553

Notable, but not all, changes and new features:

-less ringmod warmup time
-ringmod & s&h visualizer
-MemTrig (optional consistant unison)
-Noise fine tune
-Noise direct out
-default preset
-new skin

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Novation updated Circuit out of nowhere. Some better velocity handling in the sequencer, selectable MIDI channel per part, and this, I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY_XycKbBUA

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
They have seriously improved the circuit over time it’s really something. Kudos novation.
That first big update was like, oh, if you don’t mind a computer programmer, it’s a supernova inside have fun.

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart
I traded in my Minilogue for an xd; should be arriving sometimes next week. I'm excited :unsmith:. In a birthday-related GAS I also picked up a Volca Drum. I'm really giving Korg a heap of cash recently...

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Going back to sequencer talk, what is hands-down the simplest, fastest sequencer out there for making, say, 16-beat or 8-step patterns in a flash? I have a few gear pieces with built-in step sequencers, but I hate diving into the menus. Is there something out there I can use to make a simple pattern in a flash by flicking a few physical switches or sliders?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Django posted:

I'm really giving Korg a heap of cash recently...

While I have yet to get and test another USB cable out, I think I need to get a new Pad Kontrol. Mine just shuts off after about 20 seconds of playing. Granted, I just hooked it up the other day for the first time in almost 2 years, but it's also over 10 years old, so I'm not against getting a replacement.

It's by far my favourite piece of gear. Holy poo poo, I love that thing so much.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody have any experience with the Arturia Spark 2? I'm kind of in the mood for a fun groove box and I'm already pretty headlong into the Arturia ecosystem (and will get a Micro Freak when it comes out).

Also it's cheap at $150 and my investments need to be pretty skinny right now. Just looking for some beatmakers and a little too timid to jump into the drumbrute waters at the moment.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Going back to sequencer talk, what is hands-down the simplest, fastest sequencer out there for making, say, 16-beat or 8-step patterns in a flash? I have a few gear pieces with built-in step sequencers, but I hate diving into the menus. Is there something out there I can use to make a simple pattern in a flash by flicking a few physical switches or sliders?

Korg SQ-1?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
while the thread is talking sequencers: any recommendations for a polyphonic sequencer that quantizes real-time entry? my first synths was the volca fm and I find that kind of sequencer to be the most intuitive for making melodies that aren’t arpeggios/all of the same note length. I haven’t had much luck finding a stand-alone sequencer that works this way to run my analog synths, though maybe I just don’t know the right vocabulary/search terms. I have a keystep and a sq-1 which are both really great, but neither of those can easily create a sequence like “quarter-eighth-eighth-rest-half-rest-eighth-sixteenth-sixteenth” in real time, unless you’re really good with the rest and tie buttons on the keystep I guess. hope that makes sense!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

while the thread is talking sequencers: any recommendations for a polyphonic sequencer that quantizes real-time entry? my first synths was the volca fm and I find that kind of sequencer to be the most intuitive for making melodies that aren’t arpeggios/all of the same note length. I haven’t had much luck finding a stand-alone sequencer that works this way to run my analog synths, though maybe I just don’t know the right vocabulary/search terms. I have a keystep and a sq-1 which are both really great, but neither of those can easily create a sequence like “quarter-eighth-eighth-rest-half-rest-eighth-sixteenth-sixteenth” in real time, unless you’re really good with the rest and tie buttons on the keystep I guess. hope that makes sense!

Squarp Pyramid?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

The synthstom deluge has real powerful sequencing which allows you to zoom in and out easily to do what you're saying, but the price tag is probably well above what you are shooting for.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yamaha QY-70 and 100 spring to mind, they're real fun (after a steep learning curve) and do real exotic quantising if needed. I'm currently running a rig of Volcas and a Microkorg with my QY70 over MIDI and find them strangely complementary. Next is coming the Proteus for the rompler strings, maybe...

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

You can create a blank track of the desired length on the keystep then record on the fly in polyphony while the sequence runs.

You can also overwrite any part of the sequence while it plays.

It's much faster and easier than building your sequence while the sequencer is stopped

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Oldstench posted:

Squarp Pyramid?

osker posted:

The synthstom deluge has real powerful sequencing which allows you to zoom in and out easily to do what you're saying, but the price tag is probably well above what you are shooting for.

barbecue at the folks posted:

Yamaha QY-70 and 100 spring to mind, they're real fun (after a steep learning curve) and do real exotic quantising if needed. I'm currently running a rig of Volcas and a Microkorg with my QY70 over MIDI and find them strangely complementary. Next is coming the Proteus for the rompler strings, maybe...

I will look into these, thanks! y’all are fast

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You can create a blank track of the desired length on the keystep then record on the fly in polyphony while the sequence runs.

You can also overwrite any part of the sequence while it plays.

It's much faster and easier than building your sequence while the sequencer is stopped

this is super good to know, thanks! so you would be entering (for example) 64 rests, pressing play, and then playing live over it yeah? that sounds so much better than trying to count out ties and rests in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I will look into these, thanks! y’all are fast

this is super good to know, thanks! so you would be entering (for example) 64 rests, pressing play, and then playing live over it yeah? that sounds so much better than trying to count out ties and rests in my head

Exactly. You build your blank sequence either in control center or by pressing X times the rest in append mode.

Then you let the sequencer run with REC on and improvise and change your sequence as you please.

It's a good sequencer if you use that methodology

A metronome or slowing down the rate helps if like me you aren't good with a keyboard

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 8, 2019