Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Winstons posted:

I don't think anyone was mentioning your mum

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

adonis belt. you idiot. you imbecile.

Sorry. Im sorry. I'm trying to delete it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Sorry. Im sorry. I'm trying to delete it.

I think Dad was calling me the idiot. I don't mind.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
my gay imbecile sons

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Done!

Also, forgot to respond to this:

ElectricSheep posted:

Anyone have experience with or recommend heavy squat stand-ups/walk-outs?

I'm moving towards 300 on the bar with my heavier sets and I definitely feel a bit shaky with anything above 270, so I'd really like to see if there's something I can use to help adapt my CNS before I roll a loaded bar down my spine
Do heavy walkouts. Load up the bar with your squat 1RM or more. Walk it out. Hold for 30 seconds to a minute. Rerack. Do them before your work sets (to psych yourself up, and so that the bar feels lighter when you unrack it with your working set weight) or after (as a finisher).

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Someone talk me down off the ledge... I took last week off and now I can tie my shoes again without searing pain, but I still get side/lower back stiffness after standing for awhile. I know the smart play here is to maybe do super light weights if I squat/dl at all, but I hate delaying progress so, so much...

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lift until you kill your sciatic nerve and it won't hurt any more

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

VorpalFish posted:

Someone talk me down off the ledge... I took last week off and now I can tie my shoes again without searing pain, but I still get side/lower back stiffness after standing for awhile. I know the smart play here is to maybe do super light weights if I squat/dl at all, but I hate delaying progress so, so much...

Are you benching twice a week

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Time off can make you build muscle faster when you come back to the weight room. Don't sweat it.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

Time off can make you build muscle faster when you come back to the weight room. Don't sweat it.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

david carmichael posted:

Are you benching twice a week

Yes, but one session is competition / paused and the other is close grip with less weight. I can bench without pain.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

VorpalFish posted:

Yes, but one session is competition / paused and the other is close grip with less weight. I can bench without pain.

Hmmm. It seems like what you should do is bench more, and do other things less. That will be $400

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I've been benching three days per week and I feel great

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

VorpalFish posted:

Did I not link you these yet?

https://youtu.be/riq-DfDDimc

https://youtu.be/mdwj5ORPmX0

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

canadianclassic posted:

I've been benching three days per week and I feel great

Better make it 4.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I desperation I resorted to hook grip tonight.

I regret it.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Hook grip takes time to adapt to, but it's dope. The mixed grip causes minor asymmetries in leg and hip position during the deadlift, and on the supinated hand, you risk tearing your bicep. It also looks cooler: normies at the gym will think you're pulling double overhand.

If hook grip flat out doesn't work for you (e.g., small thumbs), just suck it up and wear straps on your heaviest sets.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aschlafly posted:

Hook grip takes time to adapt to, but it's dope. The mixed grip causes minor asymmetries in leg and hip position during the deadlift, and on the supinated hand, you risk tearing your bicep. It also looks cooler: normies at the gym will think you're pulling double overhand.

If hook grip flat out doesn't work for you (e.g., small thumbs), just suck it up and wear straps on your heaviest sets.

No.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I was once worried that mixed grip would cause some sort of imbalance so I was switching every set and so, but one day I realized "Who gives a poo poo?" and my life has become a bit easier.

Same with straps. Work weights, warmup weights, whatever.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
The asymmetries induced by using the mixed grip are present, but probably not worth losing sleep over. But if you're capable of using the hook grip, I don't see any reason not to favor that instead.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pro hook grip tip: use thumb tape.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

nooneofconsequence posted:

Better make it 4.

:hai:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not too worried about asymmetries but just found the mixed grip to be extremely uncomfortable. Straps work but by far my favorite solution was to just use the trap bar instead which fixes the hand position and is just more comfortable in general.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not too worried about asymmetries but just found the mixed grip to be extremely uncomfortable. Straps work but by far my favorite solution was to just use the trap bar instead which fixes the hand position and is just more comfortable in general.

Yeah this.

Try the trap bar.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What's the best way to get a dad bod? It's what women want.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

carne asada burritos and Coors Banquet

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Deadlifted without making GBS threads myself again, drinking 2 milk stouts.

Dead bod, here I come.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gaunab posted:

What's a dad bod exactly? As I understand it it mainly means not having visible abs or orion belt. So eat at excess and do strongman training.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

this may be a bad idea but i recently had this kind of stiff back pain that made shooty pains when i'd bend over and round it....I still did my regular squatting and deadlifting weights. The main caveat being, I warmed up well, and I'd quit at the first sign of pain during the actual squat or deadlift. because you keep your back straight in those lifts, it didn't trigger the pain. It went perfectly fine and I was back to normal within 4 or 5 days.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
stretch your hamstrings more

do kettlebell J-curls

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

doverhog posted:

What's a dad bod exactly? As I understand it it mainly means not having visible abs or orion belt. So eat at excess and do strongman training.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ewww gross.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

Aschlafly posted:

But if you're capable of using the hook grip, I don't see any reason not to favor that instead.

I actually started out using hook grip and have switched to mixed grip. I had developed back pain associated with deadlifting last summer and took some time off pulling. At some point I watched this Barbell Medicine video and realized the reason by back became sensitized was because of inappropriate training intensities and volume, and not because of anything wrong with the deadlift or my back. I jumped back in but used sumo, since I was still sensitized to conventional, and pretty much immediately could pull my old weights. My thumbs weren't adapted to hooking anymore so I just used mixed and haven't looked back.

Mustached Demon posted:

Pro hook grip tip: use thumb tape.

Then you've gotta take another few minutes digging another dumb piece of lifting gear out of your bag and putting it on. Eh.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

this may be a bad idea but i recently had this kind of stiff back pain that made shooty pains when i'd bend over and round it....I still did my regular squatting and deadlifting weights. The main caveat being, I warmed up well, and I'd quit at the first sign of pain during the actual squat or deadlift. because you keep your back straight in those lifts, it didn't trigger the pain. It went perfectly fine and I was back to normal within 4 or 5 days.

So I uhhh went to the gym with the intention of just doing the movement pattern with no weight. 135 felt great so I was like well 225 is also pretty light another plate is fine and then my spine exploded. I'd say not as bad as the initial injury, I'm probably back to where I was 1-2 days after as far as pain during every day activities is concerned.

The moral of the story is I cannot be trusted I will always add weight and honestly if 225 had felt good I probably would have gone to 300 and tried to do actual work sets.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Do dad bods rich famous men make better boyfriends? The answer may surprise you.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

VorpalFish posted:

So I uhhh went to the gym with the intention of just doing the movement pattern with no weight. 135 felt great so I was like well 225 is also pretty light another plate is fine and then my spine exploded. I'd say not as bad as the initial injury, I'm probably back to where I was 1-2 days after as far as pain during every day activities is concerned.

Sounds like you've made great progress! I'm sure you were just being dramatic, but I hope you know your spine didn't actually explode. Pain is actually very poorly correlated with actual physical injury. 25% of people who enter the emergency room with a severe injury don't feel any pain until much later, there are well-known conditions where people can have pain with no measurable physical issues whatsoever (fibromyalgia, non-specific low back pain), and people who have lost limbs can still feel pain in the non-existent body part for years after the initial injury. Just because you feel pain doesn't mean you're physically "injured", though that doesn't mean you should ignore it either.

quote:

The moral of the story is I cannot be trusted I will always add weight and honestly if 225 had felt good I probably would have gone to 300 and tried to do actual work sets.

That would have been completely appropriate. The name of the game wrt pain in sport is progressive exposure to the painful stimulus with the goal of building confidence in your ability to perform the activity safely. If you had been able to do your work sets without pain then whatever issue your nervous system had with that exercise would have been resolved already and no further special management necessary.

Sounds like you've found that you can do full ROM squats using your normal squat variation, and with load, just not with a full training load. Try doing your next squat workout at 135 for whatever your programmed sets and reps are, and if you MUST add weight go a bit slower- try adding the 25s first. Ease into heavier weights, for example try a single with a new weight before trying a set of 6. You want to demonstrate to your nervous system that squatting with heavy loads is a safe activity before jumping back in to full-stress training.

This might be a good time to address (what sounds like) your need to compulsively load heavier weights. This might play a role in your original back pain episode. Training volume and fatigue have a strong relationship with pain and injury, much moreso than other commonly blamed factors like exercise form and selection. Do you follow a program that involves periods of lower volume or intensity or do you try to add weight every single workout? Do your workouts leave you with a little left in the tank or is every set a 10/10 grinder? Your body may be trying to tell you that it's time to deload.

It's also a good time to address your fear of pain. Here's an article that I think applies to your situation:

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/catastrophizing/

quote:

So, pay attention to your thought processes, behavioral responses, and your interactions with others when it comes to training, fatigue, and injury. Feeding into histrionics is unnecessary and harmful, while stoicism is likely beneficial here. In short: there is no need to make the perception of fatigue or pain worse than it needs to be for yourself or for your trainees.

And here are some general primers on the science of pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nifGFIuVkUk

https://www.painscience.com/articles/pain-is-weird.php

https://www.painscience.com/articles/structuralism.php

http://www.greglehman.ca/pain-science-workbooks

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I keep a roll of thumb tape in my shoe so I don't forget it.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
Isn't that uncomfortable?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

MarcusSA posted:

Why?

Just try 270 next time. :shrug:

250 seems pretty low if you tried 275. You didn’t jump from 250 to 275 did you?

Did a set of 4x275lb squats today (preceded by 4x265 then 4x270). The bar sensed my fear but I raised the safeties this time which took a lot of my mind off of bailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Did a set of 4x275lb squats today (preceded by 4x265 then 4x270). The bar sensed my fear but I raised the safeties this time which took a lot of my mind off of bailing.

Excellent work! It’s all in your head.