Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

It's pretty bad when the knockoff show featuring explicitly not totally well adjusted characters, looks like a ship full of saints and paragons compared to the current actual Star Trek shows.

Kind of the whole thing that made TNG in particular work is the cast are quirky weirdos to various extents who also happen to be good at their jobs. (mostly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
DS9 is full of quirky weirdoes to various extents who also happen to be bad at their jobs.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kind of the whole thing that made TNG in particular work is the cast are quirky weirdos to various extents who also happen to be good at their jobs. (mostly)
Yeah, everyone was drat good at their jobs but like, you've got:

- a blind guy who falls in love with holodeck characters
- a Fully Equipped android who intentionally snarks, knowing the result
- a Klingaboo who takes offense at every opportunity
- a Space Slut Degenerate Gambler
- a doctor whose ego is so big she decided the entire universe was wrong instead of her own perception
- a captain who hates kids and loves tea
- a psychiatrist who spends more time freaking out from emotions than helping anyone
- loving Wesley

None of these flaws got in the way of being drat good at their jobs and drat good at teamwork. TNG ruled.

Pick posted:

DS9 is full of quirky weirdoes to various extents who also happen to be bad at their jobs.
DS9 ruled so much more than TNG and I fuckin love TNG

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

It's pretty bad when the knockoff show featuring explicitly not totally well adjusted characters, looks like a ship full of saints and paragons compared to the current actual Star Trek shows.

It's weird how most shows these days assume that "mature, adult character" actually means "broken, morally compromised rear end in a top hat" to the point that when one show doesn't do that it's notable

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

It's weird how most shows these days assume that "mature, adult character" actually means "broken, morally compromised rear end in a top hat" to the point that when one show doesn't do that it's notable

Don't get me started on the deterioration and degeneracy of our culture.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Troi will always be a big chocolate slut to me now

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The weird Cosby vibe I picked up from old Jake in the visitor, Greatest Gen also picked up and proceeded to run it into the ground so hard they pissed off most of their listeners

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah lets poo poo one one of the most favorite episodes in one of the most intense fandoms while trying to keep their support

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
an impressive twofer. i didn't mind The Visitor episode myself, but you know, i'm not a sexual assault survivor. the way of the warrior ep mostly annoyed me because the previous episode they said they were down for an extra long episode to cover it, then it was 2 minutes shorter than usual.

c'est la vie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The weird Cosby vibe I picked up from old Jake in the visitor, Greatest Gen also picked up and proceeded to run it into the ground so hard they pissed off most of their listeners

God I can't wait for them to hit that inevitable burnout point that all series-watch podcasts hit and just fade away into obscurity

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's a segment of the big battle from the last Orville, cut down a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHsBPoXJOP4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:spergin: The weird Cosby vibe I picked up from old Jake in the visitor, Greatest Gen also picked up and proceeded to run it into the ground so hard they pissed off most of their listeners :spergin:

:psyduck:

Maybe if you took what they said about themselves in a self-depreciating way in the episode as absolute fact? Considering your posting history... I think you'd jump off a bridge if they told you to.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What are you taking about, I talk poo poo about them all the time.

I'm taking that they pissed off a lot of people judging by their Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter page

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

What are you taking about, I talk poo poo about them all the time.

I'm taking that they pissed off a lot of people judging by their Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter page

Take a break from the internet if you're on top of all of those for one podcast.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zesty posted:

Take a break from the internet if you're on top of all of those for one podcast.

If you enjoy something why wouldn't you be on top of all of those for whatever that thing is?
Although listening to a bunch of guys talk about DS9 when they're not getting it sounds horrendous.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zesty posted:

I'm on the Facebook page, and in there screenshots of the Reddit and Twitter have been posted

Guess I know who bought me that custom title that one time

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I'm on the Facebook page, and in there screenshots of the Reddit and Twitter have been posted

Guess I know who bought me that custom title that one time

Nope? Guess you just annoy a few people with your spergin.

Taear posted:

Although listening to a bunch of guys talk about DS9 when they're not getting it sounds horrendous.

I wouldn't say that at all about Greatest Gen. It's those Mission Log guys that do that. It really is. Started with Mission Log. Found Greatest Gen. Really thinking about stopping Mission Log. They just did a "we're taking a break" podcast about how much they don't get it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A bunch of people who don't understand me recommended Greatest Gen but tbh I prefer tumblr posts that list off "the ten top moments that show quark really cares!!" because i'm a girl

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Zesty posted:

I wouldn't say that at all about Greatest Gen. It's those Mission Log guys that do that. It really is. Started with Mission Log. Found Greatest Gen. Really thinking about stopping Mission Log. They just did a "we're taking a break" podcast about how much they don't get it.

Totally agree with all this. Mission Log is so entrenched in their Roddenberryian quest to find the supposed morals at the end of every story that I kinda figured this might happen when they got more than a season or so into DS9. It's just not that kind of show, but they seem almost willfully incapable of accepting that and making adjustments. And if they're struggling this much here, Voyager and Enterprise being mostly action-adventure pulp isn't gonna be any easier for them.

Bad jokes notwithstanding, Greatest Gen have misread a couple episodes or character moments but are otherwise picking up what DS9's putting down just fine by comparison.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pick posted:

A bunch of people who don't understand me recommended Greatest Gen but tbh I prefer tumblr posts that list off "the ten top moments that show quark really cares!!" because i'm a girl

im a girl too

like a cismale girl for sure but in respect to things like this 100% team girl

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Those crew members walking next to giant windows in the middle of a battle at 0:50 had it coming.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

That's the big impressive space battle that everyone was going crazy about?

It's not terrible, it's just bland. There's nothing new there, no interesting shots or new take on a space battle or anything. It's just the same cgi-filled pew pew nonsense that matches a Stargate or Enterprise episode or something, just with a few more assets since computers are faster since the early 2000s. If you don't watch the show, like me, it's just boring.

Shows like BSG or The Expanse at least tried/try to do something new with their presentations of battles. Also, the music is terrible and that helmsman can't act.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's cut, so a few key shots that set the pacing, some important tracking shots along with the score that tells a bit of the "story" of the battle is missing from a few spots. I'm not sure why they put up a cut version, but there's definitely shots missing. And that's also the second half of it, the first half from before the line was broken is not in that clip.

Apart from all that even with the slightly butchered cut you're completely wrong, that's far more ambitious than any of the space combat scenes in the shows you listed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ashpanash posted:

It's not terrible, it's just bland. There's nothing new there, no interesting shots or new take on a space battle or anything. It's just the same cgi-filled pew pew nonsense that matches a Stargate or Enterprise episode or something, just with a few more assets since computers are faster since the early 2000s. If you don't watch the show, like me, it's just boring.

Shows like BSG or The Expanse at least tried/try to do something new with their presentations of battles. Also, the music is terrible and that helmsman can't act.

Battlestar Galactica is worth it purely for the Adama Maneuver, now that was a loving space battle.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How can something you do in atmo be a space battle

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

Battlestar Galactica is worth it purely for the Adama Maneuver, now that was a loving space battle.

Well... technically...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ashpanash posted:

It's not terrible, it's just bland.

Yeah, I was let down by that episode, too. The first episode was legit good, but the follow up was kind of a wet fart. Nothing particularly clever, meaningful, or impressive. It shook out pretty much exactly how you’d think it would.

The Orville is many things, but surprising and innovative aren’t among them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Senor Tron posted:

And the Resurrection Ship battle. That set a high bar that I don't think the Orville battle hit. Quite. The BSG battle had much more scope and a slower pacing so you could see what was going on. Hard to do with a couple dozen Kaylons and god alone knows how many Union ships.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

How can something you do in atmo be a space battle

That's the power of Adama. That said, Galactica only spent a few seconds in the atmosphere, most of the time we saw it fighting was in orbit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Those battles are just one or two capital ships fighting off a bunch of fighters.

The only real fleet to fleet battles have been Sacrifice of Angels in DS9 and some Babylon 5 episodes I won't name for spoilers sake.

What this had over those was being actually three dimensional and much more modern effects, and not having to rely on the majority of shots being people on the bridge saying what is happening.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just watched TNG S3E11 "The Hunted". It's nice that the prisoner was eventually able to get rehabilitated into society and nearly beat Ted Cruz in the midterms.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 6, 2019

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The battle was great because of all the setup, you're not going to get that from a goddamn clip you fools

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Those battles are just one or two capital ships fighting off a bunch of fighters.

The only real fleet to fleet battles have been Sacrifice of Angels in DS9 and some Babylon 5 episodes I won't name for spoilers sake.

What this had over those was being actually three dimensional and much more modern effects, and not having to rely on the majority of shots being people on the bridge saying what is happening.

BSG was more artistic by far, and I appreciate what we got from it, but you're right it's not on the same scale.

B5 runs the table in terms of effort and has an exquisite buildup -> payoff ratio, and puts up a good showing even with dated CGI. DS9 to a lesser degree but in the same ballpark.

What this reminded me of most was the attack on Coruscant in the opening of Revenge of the Sith. Not quite that good, and nothing in any medium has yet topped Return of the Jedi.

But this was still really good for a TV budget.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
*posts clip from the climax of BoBW part 2 without context*

wow guys they're being menaced by a giant cube so scary *handjob motion*

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really liked the BSG battle from the pilot movie, with Adama looking at the radar thing and giving orders changing the ship's yaw and pitch and stuff. It almost made it seem like he was guiding the ship through a three dimensional space with no real up or down. I guess that wasn't exciting enough though because no one has ever done it again, including BSG.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Whalley posted:

im a girl too

like a cismale girl for sure but in respect to things like this 100% team girl

im the type of girl with boobs

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

That sure is the same 3 ship designs cut and pasted a few dozen times.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

The battle was great because of all the setup, you're not going to get that from a goddamn clip you fools

It's a five-minute-long "clip" and most of it is incomprehensible in terms of the actual battling. It's just a zillion ships firing differently colored pew-pews at each other and you can't tell what the gently caress is happening.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pick posted:

im the type of girl with boobs

GROSS

EW

GROSS

see a doctor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

VOY S04E10 ("Random Thoughts"): This all could have been avoided if the Federation had a policy of having the society with which they are making first contact transmit a database of their laws to the ship's computer, starting at least after the TNG episode where Wesley got the death penalty for stepping on some flowers. The computer would then analyze them for laws which crew members are likely to unintentionally break and laws which have unexpectedly harsh penalties. It was a much better episode than I thought it'd be based on Netflix's synopsis

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 6, 2019