Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I've got an LG G Watch (the original from like 2014) and I feel like I should upgrade. I'm not looking for something major or ultra expensive. I currently use it just to check time and alerts as well as for 2fa integration (google auth) and don't want much more out of my watch. I'd like longer than a day, preferably 2-3 day charge.

I'm looking at the TicWatch Pro but I'm curious if there's another watch I should be thinking about and/or looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RevKrule posted:

I've got an LG G Watch (the original from like 2014) and I feel like I should upgrade. I'm not looking for something major or ultra expensive. I currently use it just to check time and alerts as well as for 2fa integration (google auth) and don't want much more out of my watch. I'd like longer than a day, preferably 2-3 day charge.

I'm looking at the TicWatch Pro but I'm curious if there's another watch I should be thinking about and/or looking into.

Really everything out there is equally good or bad depending on how you're looking at it, the only differentiator is whether the style of a particular watch is up your alley or not. You're not going to get that kind of battery life out of a Wear OS watch but the good news is that most of the stuff out there does go on sale regularly so I'd say just pick one you like (sounds like you have) and just wait on it to get to a price you like.

The last page had a guy with a brand new TicWatch Pro who will answer any questions you have about the specific watch and pretty much any other Wear OS watch one of us will have so we can field those too, so ask away!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
As somebody who relatively recently retired the old square G Watch, just like yours, I jumped to the TicWatch Pro a few weeks ago and found that it was the best option available on the market at the time. It doesn't get as great of battery life as the G Watch, but it performs phenomenally and does everything I want it to. The screen is gorgeous, the heart rate sensor works well, the vibration motor is strong enough without being too strong, the speaker is loud enough... I really have no complaints. I didn't care for the band it comes with, so I ordered a random Milanese loop on Amazon and that's been great too. The only thing I'm lacking at this point is a secondary charger, so I don't have to bring mine on trips, as I do have to charge it every day if I use the always on screen.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Really everything out there is equally good or bad depending on how you're looking at it, the only differentiator is whether the style of a particular watch is up your alley or not. You're not going to get that kind of battery life out of a Wear OS watch but the good news is that most of the stuff out there does go on sale regularly so I'd say just pick one you like (sounds like you have) and just wait on it to get to a price you like.

The last page had a guy with a brand new TicWatch Pro who will answer any questions you have about the specific watch and pretty much any other Wear OS watch one of us will have so we can field those too, so ask away!

Yeah, I've been following the past page or so which helped me consider the TicWatch Pro. I honestly have never heard of the TicWatch brand before which is...concerning, but it's not like I follow this poo poo that much. How is their reliability?

I know there's the ever elusive "pixel watch" on the near horizon (which has been rumoured so long I remember when it was the "nexus watch") but is there any other device that gets people excited? Does the gear watch run wearos and if not, how's it's performance w/a non-samsung phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Yeah, I've been following the past page or so which helped me consider the TicWatch Pro. I honestly have never heard of the TicWatch brand before which is...concerning, but it's not like I follow this poo poo that much. How is their reliability?

Mobvoi has been making smartwatches from the beginning and they're well-regarded. I actually have their water-resistant Google Assistant powered speaker for my bathroom (the TicHome Mini) and it's... okay it's not so great but I've heard great things about their watches, especially when you factor in how much cheaper they are than the alternatives.

RevKrule posted:

I know there's the ever elusive "pixel watch" on the near horizon (which has been rumoured so long I remember when it was the "nexus watch") but is there any other device that gets people excited? Does the gear watch run wearos and if not, how's it's performance w/a non-samsung phone?

The Fossil Sport has the latest and greatest technology, but it's not great and it's not modern. Samsung uses Tizen, not WearOS, and is generally well regarded but the app ecosystem isn't wonderful. It is using technology from the last half decade so it's got that going for it over WearOS. I think the main issue with using it is that you have to use it with a lot of Samsung-specific apps rather than their Google equivalents. We have a thread around here for non Apple, non Android wearables and that's the place to ask.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

What's funny is after my Vapor rant, it seems to be completely fine today.
I ordered two Vapors in the same order direct from Misfit in Dec 2017 and one started doing that screen flickering thing in December just gone. It would sometimes boot up okay and work but about two thirds of the time it just immediately flickered and bootlooped every two seconds. And when it did boot it would sometimes randomly start flickering later and then reboot and bootloop. There was no way out of the bootloop except leaving it to figure itself out. After about five minutes it would usually turn itself off.

In Europe, at least, it has a two year warranty so I just sent it back to Misfit. They did "software diagnostics" and returned it to me and it still did it. I assume they got lucky, hit a working boot, and sent it back. I returned it again and they're now sending me a replacement watch so we'll see how well that works. Bonus if it has a new battery.

While all this was happening, the second watch started doing exactly the same thing, so now I need to send that back as well. It started off doing it occasionally but after a few weeks now won't boot at all. So it's clearly an endemic problem. Be prepared for your watch to die soon.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 8, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm glad I sent mine back now!

A question about the watch I bought instead, the 4th gen Explorist:

What is the Fossil app on the watch for?

I open it and it asks me to create a category. If I do, it tells me there are no styles in it. Today I got two notifications (just on the watch) for a IWD watchface which I assume came from the Fossil app. If I look in Apps and Notifications it has only one notification channel: System Updates, which I very much did not want to turn off but I also don't want spam. Can I disable this app (It's a system app)? What does it do? Why would it notify me about system updates? Shouldn't the OS do that?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

G-Prime posted:

As somebody who relatively recently retired the old square G Watch, just like yours, I jumped to the TicWatch Pro a few weeks ago and found that it was the best option available on the market at the time. It doesn't get as great of battery life as the G Watch, but it performs phenomenally and does everything I want it to. The screen is gorgeous, the heart rate sensor works well, the vibration motor is strong enough without being too strong, the speaker is loud enough... I really have no complaints. I didn't care for the band it comes with, so I ordered a random Milanese loop on Amazon and that's been great too. The only thing I'm lacking at this point is a secondary charger, so I don't have to bring mine on trips, as I do have to charge it every day if I use the always on screen.

LastInLine posted:

Mobvoi has been making smartwatches from the beginning and they're well-regarded. I actually have their water-resistant Google Assistant powered speaker for my bathroom (the TicHome Mini) and it's... okay it's not so great but I've heard great things about their watches, especially when you factor in how much cheaper they are than the alternatives.

Thanks for this info and everything. I pulled the trigger on a TicWatch Pro and it showed up yesterday. So far it's nice with a few caveats like I miss my old very minimal watch face (just digital time and date) and it's a little too quick to switch to the oled display on motion. I like the essential mode but I wish it had some dumb backlight led like old school digital watches had. I haven't had a chance to really check battery life since today's the first day but as long as it gets me through the day with a fair bit of room to spare, I think I'll be very happy with it (nothing will come close to squeezing three days out of the G Watch tho, that thing was a low-key beast).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tunga posted:

I ordered two Vapors in the same order direct from Misfit in Dec 2017 and one started doing that screen flickering thing in December just gone. It would sometimes boot up okay and work but about two thirds of the time it just immediately flickered and bootlooped every two seconds. And when it did boot it would sometimes randomly start flickering later and then reboot and bootloop. There was no way out of the bootloop except leaving it to figure itself out. After about five minutes it would usually turn itself off.

In Europe, at least, it has a two year warranty so I just sent it back to Misfit. They did "software diagnostics" and returned it to me and it still did it. I assume they got lucky, hit a working boot, and sent it back. I returned it again and they're now sending me a replacement watch so we'll see how well that works. Bonus if it has a new battery.

While all this was happening, the second watch started doing exactly the same thing, so now I need to send that back as well. It started off doing it occasionally but after a few weeks now won't boot at all. So it's clearly an endemic problem. Be prepared for your watch to die soon.

What's disturbing is the Misfit watches are just recased Fossil watches. 3/4ths of the software stuff identifies it as a fossil watch and Misfit is owned by Fossil Group.

So, it makes me worry about the longevity of my Fossil Sport.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

What's disturbing is the Misfit watches are just recased Fossil watches. 3/4ths of the software stuff identifies it as a fossil watch and Misfit is owned by Fossil Group.

So, it makes me worry about the longevity of my Fossil Sport.

One thing the first gen Vapors had that were unique to them is the ring around the screen for scrolling. AFAIK that's the only implementation of it and it's not in the second generation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BTW, I did pick up a Galaxy Watch active. I wish it was bigger, but I feel dirty saying that Tizen seems better and more coherent than Android Wear.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

One of the weirdest things about our weird times is that Samsung stuff is now kind of... good?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Rastor posted:

One of the weirdest things about our weird times is that Samsung stuff is now kind of... good?

How long did it take before the 8 started combusting

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

It's kind of crazy how much more battery efficient it is. I'm almost 18 hours off charge, hasn't left my wrist, constant heat rate measurement, screen has only been fully off when I was sleeping, and it's still at 55% charge.

Come ON Google. It can be done, fix your poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean my urbane 2 gets that. I don't have constant heart rate running but I feel igrt about 2 days with a sleeping in there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The difference is the Urbane 2 has a 570mah battery while this has a piddly 230mah battery.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm actually giving up wear os for Lent. Put some money down on a power watch2 for when they're released hopefully in June.

Kind of tired of my watches not being waterproof and needing a charge every 2ish days or so. It's to the point where I have 2 watches.. my urbane and an Asus zen2 I got refurbished for 80 bux. That I switch back and forth on.

I only use it to see notifications / texts and time. Neither do all day heart (one doesn't do any one does only when exercise is turned on). which is something I'd like, and I like to know what time it is while I'm in the pool without having to get out and check my phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

One thing the first gen Vapors had that were unique to them is the ring around the screen for scrolling. AFAIK that's the only implementation of it and it's not in the second generation.
Not quite, the Fossil Q Control had this as well. The two watches are, as far as I'm aware, 100% identical except for the shell.

Also it doesn't work that well. The hardware is fine but WearOS doesn't make very good use of it.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Rastor posted:

It's not just Samsung, it's most other vendors.

See exhibit A
Gesture navigation from Samsung/Xiaomi/Oneplus: good
Google's own implementation of gesture control: bad

tino fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 10, 2019

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

tater_salad posted:

Kind of tired of my watches not being waterproof and needing a charge every 2ish days or so.

This is why I'm still on a Pebble 2 and wish the Pebble Time 2 had come out. 5 day better life and waterproof, plus limited notification and reply support is about all I really need. I'm jealous of my friend's Apple Watch 3, which I'd consider getting if they supported Android, but oh well. Their usability and integration is just so nicely polished.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Nevermind, gently caress it. Just throwing out my old Moto 360 now. Not worth the headache. Moral of the story: Don't use Wear devices with iOS.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 12, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Nevermind, gently caress it. Just throwing out my old Moto 360 now. Not worth the headache. Moral of the story: Don't use Wear devices with iOS.

Good for you. SHoulda thrown your iOS device out instead..

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

tater_salad posted:

Good for you. SHoulda thrown your iOS device out instead..

Phone fanboy poo poo in 2019? Get out of here.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is this an original 360? Those are probably irredeemable and even the second gen is probably so worn out at this point to be not worth fussing over.

Honestly if erasing and re-pairing doesn't fix whatever problem used to be in your post it was probably unfixable. There's not a lot of room to tinker with these things.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Phone fanboy poo poo in 2019? Get out of here.

Oh I'm sorry. So because 1 item doesn't work the whole ecosystem is hosed?

There are lots of ppl using Wear os just fine with apple devices. The original moto360 is pretty aged so its possible it's not "wear os" but your early gen smartwatch.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Those of you who make your own watch faces, how do you do it? I'm using Facer but it spams me with notifications (fixed that) but their site for making them is just a bit dumb to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't make my own, but Pujie Black has lots of great faces that are pretty easy to tweak a bit, in my experience.

On a totally different note, I replaced the battery on my 2nd-generation 360 and it's sooooo nice having a watch that'll last all day again! Plus having an accurate battery meter is nice; the old battery would die anywhere between 30% and 50%, but last night when I took my watch off it was at 16%.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

How difficult was it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 360 2 and I think I'm willing to risk it now since this Galaxy Watch Active has pretty much become my primary device.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are there any wear os watches with a clickwheel? I liked the Galaxy watch I had from a style and functionality standpoint but I didn't like how no Android apps worked with it

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

How difficult was it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 360 2 and I think I'm willing to risk it now since this Galaxy Watch Active has pretty much become my primary device.

It was actually pretty easy. I bought the battery from ifixit and followed their guide plus the comments. I didn't take out the ribbon cable connecting the display to the motherboard, and I didn't put any glue back on the ring when I put it back together.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Are there any wear os watches with a clickwheel? I liked the Galaxy watch I had from a style and functionality standpoint but I didn't like how no Android apps worked with it

Some have the crown that twists, but I think the twisting bezel is unique to Samsung.

Fossil Group came up with something that Google liked, bought, and will supposedly be releasing at some point. But we don't know if it's a better input method, improved health/fitness tracking, or what

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hooah posted:

I don't make my own, but Pujie Black has lots of great faces that are pretty easy to tweak a bit, in my experience.

Seconding this recommendation for Pujie Black.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Those of you who make your own watch faces, how do you do it? I'm using Facer but it spams me with notifications (fixed that) but their site for making them is just a bit dumb to me.

I make my own watchfaces in Pujie, generally from scratch. Most of the ones in the library are really bad and none accomplish what I was looking for, which was to put notifications front and center.

How easy is it? If I can do it, then there's no limit to the amount of stupid you can have and still get it done. I find the editor easy enough but the hardest part is easily the graphic design. Just having a good idea that isn't ugly as gently caress is tough. I will admit the app itself has a bit of a learning curve, where things are and what they do.

I'd be willing to help if you have questions.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I make my own watchfaces in Pujie, generally from scratch. Most of the ones in the library are really bad and none accomplish what I was looking for, which was to put notifications front and center.

How easy is it? If I can do it, then there's no limit to the amount of stupid you can have and still get it done. I find the editor easy enough but the hardest part is easily the graphic design. Just having a good idea that isn't ugly as gently caress is tough. I will admit the app itself has a bit of a learning curve, where things are and what they do.

I'd be willing to help if you have questions.

Of you feel like sharing I'm sure lots of us would love to try your exported faces. There's a way to do that right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Of you feel like sharing I'm sure lots of us would love to try your exported faces. There's a way to do that right?

There is, I'd have to look into it. I've been considering buying the subscription to the cloud thingy since I do use and love the app and the developer is really responsive to issues (plus the complexity of new features has to be daunting).

I'll figure something out soon and post back here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: So it's actually pretty to share presets, who knew?

Anyway these are the last three I've used since Notification Preview became an option for long text complications. The problem with it is that most watchfaces don't have a long text slot so you kind of have to design around one if you want to use it, and if you don't want to use it well then these watchfaces won't do you much good.

When I designed this one I was using a Moto 360v2 which has a flat tire and this face was designed to hide it. Now I'm using and Explorist HR which has an OLED display and it looks terrible on it with black crush and obvious stairstepping in the gray gradient.

On the Explorist, the black ring around the screen is far more distracting than the flat tire ever was and pretty much forces you to use a black screen or at least a design around the black ring as an element of the face. This one looked great on the 360, but the black ring ruins it on the Explorist.

This is what I'm using now. It doesn't really jump out in a still image but the blue bar near the 6 o'clock position moves in a sweep to indicate the seconds. Unlike the first two I made it specifically for the Explorist and thus, unlike the first one I didn't have to inset the tick marks to avoid them looking weird with the flat tire:

Here is a link to the gallery containing all images and the names of each image is the share code for the face, just import it using that if you're interested.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 28, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

There is, I'd have to look into it. I've been considering buying the subscription to the cloud thingy since I do use and love the app and the developer is really responsive to issues (plus the complexity of new features has to be daunting).

I'll figure something out soon and post back here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: So it's actually pretty to share presets, who knew?

Anyway these are the last three I've used since Notification Preview became an option for long text complications. The problem with it is that most watchfaces don't have a long text slot so you kind of have to design around one if you want to use it, and if you don't want to use it well then these watchfaces won't do you much good.

When I designed this one I was using a Moto 360v2 which has a flat tire and this face was designed to hide it. Now I'm using and Explorist HR which has an OLED display and it looks terrible on it with black crush and obvious stairstepping in the gray gradient.

On the Explorist, the black ring around the screen is far more distracting than the flat tire ever was and pretty much forces you to use a black screen or at least a design around the black ring as an element of the face. This one looked great on the 360, but the black ring ruins it on the Explorist.

This is what I'm using now. It doesn't really jump out in a still image but the blue bar near the 6 o'clock position moves in a sweep to indicate the seconds. Unlike the first two I made it specifically for the Explorist and thus, unlike the first one I didn't have to inset the tick marks to avoid them looking weird with the flat tire:

Here is a link to the gallery containing all images and the names of each image is the share code for the face, just import it using that if you're interested.

Very cool, thanks for the writeup and for sharing. Will try that last one on my TicWatch pro in a little bit. Did it take a lot of movements on your watches to get to where you can view your notifications? On mine it's just a swipe up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I work in a physical environment where I need to be able to see and read notifications without the use of my hands but maybe not immediately after they show up. Pretty much exactly what version 1.5's Peek Cards offered and what went away with 2.0 so I had to design around notifications always being visible with enough preview text to understand the message.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone noticed that listening to music kills their watch's battery? I'd been getting full days (again) out of my 360v2, but today I listened to a lot of music at work and it died some time after 3.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hooah posted:

Has anyone noticed that listening to music kills their watch's battery? I'd been getting full days (again) out of my 360v2, but today I listened to a lot of music at work and it died some time after 3.

Yeah my watch gets destroyed by Spotify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Len posted:

Yeah my watch gets destroyed by Spotify

Well that sucks. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening?