Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the anime of season 1 increased the romantic tension between the leads and made it incredibly explicit instead of only somewhat explicit.
the manga had these events happen shortly after season 1 stopped airing.
the director of season 1 got replaced.
the anime of season 2 adapted the manga in a very straightforward fashion and iirc actually shuffled some events around to introduce the kid earlier.

im not saying the amanchu/aria mangaka is a piece of poo poo, but they're a piece of poo poo. this doesn't mean you cant enjoy their work (aria, or heck, even amanchu), plenty of mangaka are weirdos or outright bad people. someone like the kenshin guy is a way worse person than the amanchu mangaka and i wouldn't begrudge anyone if they liked kenshin. but it's worth knowing.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am not quite sure what I am looking for right now. I recently watched Boarding School Juliet, Koe no Katachi, and Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai so maybe something along those lines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hunt11 posted:

I am not quite sure what I am looking for right now. I recently watched Boarding School Juliet, Koe no Katachi, and Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai so maybe something along those lines.

If you like Rascal, you'll quite probably like Gamers. Just don't let the first episode fool you though, because the Shonen setup is a total fakeout.

I also really liked Rascal, incidentally. Such a good show :allears:.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Rascal is the best show with the worst ending.

For something similar to Rascal's structure and storytelling but infinitely more stylishly (for better or worse) is the Monogatari series, starting with Bakemonogatari.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Oh it's time to bust out the flipchart

And zoku owarimonogatari is in various stages of out, should be airing in a few months

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That sure is an involved chart telling people to watch something in the order it was released

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

i assume it's there because people aren't going to instinctively know the release order

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Fair I guess, does like Crunchy or whatever not show the year of release next to the name of the show or anything?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also, I wasn't myself aware of the Kizu production thing until someone told me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's also my romantic teen comedy snafu for something severely less otaku than gatari

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Knorth posted:

That sure is an involved chart telling people to watch something in the order it was released

Maybe the LN, but that’s not the order the anime was released in, which I assume is what it’s helping address.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

there's also my romantic teen comedy snafu for something severely less otaku than gatari

Assuming that is still directed at me then that is good recommendation hampered by the fact I have already watched and enjoyed the series.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Knorth posted:

Fair I guess, does like Crunchy or whatever not show the year of release next to the name of the show or anything?

No.

Quite frankly I'm not sure how you're even supposed to find all of them. Bakemonogatari recommends Nise in related videos, but Nise just recommends Bake. Searching Monogatari autofills Second Season, Nise, Bake, Tsuki, and Neko Black in that order.

Also CR is missing episodes 13-15 of Bake so fuckin lol.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DamnGlitch posted:

Maybe the LN, but that’s not the order the anime was released in, which I assume is what it’s helping address.

What? Yes it is

Except they've stuck the movie in there when you could just watch that at any time

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Knorth posted:

Except they've stuck the movie in there when you could just watch that at any time

That would be out of release order then.

And it’s a single image with all the series listed as opposed to poking around Wikipedia, and as stated there’s not a single source with all the series in one place, barring Nyaa.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I suddenly feel cheated seeing Nadeko Snake is only two eps after all the doomsaying back in the simul thread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Motto posted:

I suddenly feel cheated seeing Nadeko Snake is only two eps after all the doomsaying back in the simul thread.

The single worst thing about that series is that the toothbrushing scene horror stories were not exaggerating in the slightest

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the coward OP was going to skip that season anyway

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

What's so wrong/bad about this show? Never heard of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's so wrong/bad about this show? Never heard of it.
there's a lot of sexual imagery and weird otaku-esque banter between characters, its an extremely 'late night anime' kind of show

there's a lot of very, very good stuff in it (hanamonogatari is great) but it starts rough and that element never really completely goes away. some of it can be excused by the fact that the main character's intentionally a horny weirdo who grows out of that immaturity over the series, especially since those elements mostly get dropped when the perspective shifts from his view point, but a lot of it is, yeah, just that kind of thing for that kind of thing's sake.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The toothbrush scene is one of the funniest moments in anime history and if you disagree then you're bad

Motto posted:

the coward OP was going to skip that season anyway

:hai:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
treating Nisemonogatari as uniquely bad when "Araragi hits on a dead 8-year-old" is a running gag throughout the entire series is a little disingenuous, i admit

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm looking to start watching without subtitles and I'm interesting in hearing any thoughts from people who've done the same. I've had a few years of formal Japanese teaching so I'm fairly comfortable with the grammar, but I still miss on vocabulary fairly often. What's the best way to approach this? Do I briefly flick subs back on, stop and look it up, or suck it up and keep going? I'm also interested in any recommendations for stuff that's good to learn with, including non-anime stuff like news streams or whatever.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm looking to start watching without subtitles and I'm interesting in hearing any thoughts from people who've done the same. I've had a few years of formal Japanese teaching so I'm fairly comfortable with the grammar, but I still miss on vocabulary fairly often. What's the best way to approach this? Do I briefly flick subs back on, stop and look it up, or suck it up and keep going? I'm also interested in any recommendations for stuff that's good to learn with, including non-anime stuff like news streams or whatever.

...at first I thought this was a response to the Monogatari series discussion, which would be hilariously masochistic.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheEye posted:

...at first I thought this was a response to the Monogatari series discussion, which would be hilariously masochistic.

Sink or Drown.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch joshiraku then

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

watch joshiraku then

thats drown or drown.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'd suggest watching stuff with Japanese closed captions if you can. People sometimes upload the .srt files here: https://kitsunekko.net/

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Sharkopath posted:

thats drown or drown.

comedy option: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

silentsnack posted:

comedy option: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

How does that hold up? I remember really enjoying the first season when it aired, but didn't follow up with the sequel seasons.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

its cool but also almost entirely pop critque of japanese society so 80% of it goes over my head. Supremely cool visual and vocal direction.

i like their new series thats pop critique of art and comic artists though, the core is more relatable. Check that comic out if I can remember what its called.

https://mangadex.org/title/17019/kakushigoto

this one!!!!

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 7, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the whole is good but if you watch too much after each other you start to notice the repetition all comedy anime suffer from + the budget and translation quality get worse every season

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Davincie posted:

the whole is good but if you watch too much after each other you start to notice the repetition all comedy anime suffer from + the budget and translation quality get worse every season

this is what stopped me, eventually

the first season is hilarious even if there are clearly some jokes i don't have context for; by the third it's literally incomprehensible

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

one of my favourite ovas got a laserdisc re-encode so please watch it!

https://nyaa.si/view/1122620

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheEye posted:

Ah, yeah, for a long time the only translation of the latest short story collection Hisho's Birds was by a Japanese guy with awful English. Fortunately Eugene Woodbury picked it up since then and later finished it. He also confirmed forever ago that he'll be tackling the new novel whenever it comes out, so there will for sure be a good translation eventually. Glad that guy is still around.
I finally got around to finishing these and maybe it's just been a long while since I was deep in the Twelve Kingdoms world but a lot of them seemed structured or paced fairly strangely. Hisho's Birds feels a lot like the other side stories that I recall, but the middle two (one about judge in Ryuu pondering capital punishment, and the other about a beech tree disease in I think En) just don't feel very TK-like. Prison of Dusk in particular I'm not sure had much of a point other than exhaustively debatingthe moral implications of the death penalty in a look-towards-the-camera sort of way. Most of these stories were written I guess in the long period following The Shore at Twilight so perhaps some of it is just Ono feeling her way through some different ideas.

That said for as esoteric as that series/world can be it surprisingly did not take me that long to pick back up on most of its history and terminology and it remains a story I would very much like to see finished some day.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is this show any good? AMV makes it look dope (and yuri as all hell, I guess).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes and yes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

Girls Opera Revue Starlight. It's a drat good show that I think would've been bigger... if not for the fact that 2018 was (say it with me now!) an insanely good year for anime. Yes, it's a fairly good show and AFancyQuestionMark wrote a pretty strong write-up on the Ikuhara thread's OP. (first link is to the thread, btw)

If you like what you read/saw, yes, go for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

It's a bit episodic and some character focus episodes are better than others but it's got a ton of great animation/visual imagery in it and Nana is an amazing character. So yeah, it's pretty good overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Davincie posted:

one of my favourite ovas got a laserdisc re-encode so please watch it!

https://nyaa.si/view/1122620

Well that wasn't Twinkle Nora.