Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I still insist that Ganondorf is the people's champion, and that Link and Zelda are bourgeoisie scum.
Also, everyone's favorite puzzle-solving element should be the Iron Knuckle.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

So it seems pretty blatant NOW spirit temple was supposed to be last, but of course the rom hacker did a terrible job of signifying this, he should've made use of rusty switches/places you had to hover sooner so players won't keep wasting their time coming back.

Or he did it on purpose, making it sort of Temple of the Ocean King.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's time to make the Water Temple even worse somehow.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Oh dear God...

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

So imagine the Water Temple, but instead of three states (High water, medium water, low water) there are four states (High water, medium water, high ice, medium ice).

And Nimpize dungeon/puzzle design.

gently caress the water temple

In a better hack, this would be cool, freezing the water completely changes the dungeon. Hell, I'm not even sure how this works internally, are there two water temples and there's an invisible teleport on the door? It's impressive but Nimpize makes sure to squander any and all good will it generates. I'm sure I'll have many more words to say about later parts of the water temple but we'll get there when we get there.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The Water Temple is art, and I will not hear otherwise. It's not the best temple in the game though (so far).

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ZeButler posted:

The Water Temple is art, and I will not hear otherwise. It's not the best temple in the game though (so far).

While I'm sure watching someone play the Water Temple is hilarious and I expect these upcoming episodes to be good, actually playing the Water Temple is an absolutely loving miserable experience

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like how the Trap stopped moving once the temple froze. I guess it was frozen to the floor.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

This hack really needs the puzzle horn from La Mulana.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just posting to say that I'm calling off this weekend's Nimpize stream. I have a lot going on right now and we have lots of episodes in the backlog right now anyway. We'll try for next weekend instead.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Ice Traps.

Yeeeeeeessssssssss.

Water Temple seems great so far!

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

FPzero posted:

Just posting to say that I'm calling off this weekend's Nimpize stream. I have a lot going on right now and we have lots of episodes in the backlog right now anyway. We'll try for next weekend instead.

Understandable, we can wait.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Interior Exterior Design Thread:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

"I love it! Now let's blow it up."

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

are we sandwich posting in here

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/status/1090389833690812419

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This central idea is really cool, but man I can't wait to see how annoying it gets after a few hours in here.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I was promised pictures of a cat

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm eating a corn dog while watching, which I'm pretty sure counts as a sandwich

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

So it seems pretty blatant NOW spirit temple was supposed to be last, but of course the rom hacker did a terrible job of signifying this, he should've made use of rusty switches/places you had to hover sooner so players won't keep wasting their time coming back.
It probably doesn't help that it's also first since you need the bow to get pretty much anything else done.

I suppose it's not that different from what the game did with Jabu-Jabu, though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

It probably doesn't help that it's also first since you need the bow to get pretty much anything else done.

I suppose it's not that different from what the game did with Jabu-Jabu, though.

Yeah but at least Jabu-Jabu was right there, which would naturally make it something you go to first, even if you have to go out of your way to find a bottle first. The Spirit Temple is so out of the way that you'd think it'd be its own little self contained thing.

Poor sign posting strikes again.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Spudd posted:

I was promised pictures of a cat

Cat sandwich

On their own.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Poor sign posting strikes again.

It isn't even poor sign posting though for as people have noted, you have to head there to get the bow before you can do any of the other dungeons. This is just a case of extremely lovely item placement with no thoughts about the wider consequences of what has been done.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's like they looked at ALTTP without realizing that the dungeons you couldn't get far into didn't loving lead you along with breadcrumbs each new itme you got, as well as the game giving you an order of dungeons to begin with as a soft suggestion rather than nothing at all. This hack is basically the randomizer of rom hacks.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ryushikaze posted:

Cat sandwich
That's not a sandwich, that's a purrito bowl.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Or they looked at Phantom Hourglass and thought that terrible garbage with the central dungeon you have to do 13 times, but each time you get a little further was a good idea.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

This hack is basically the randomizer of rom hacks.
I just realized it's only a matter of time until there's a Nimpize randomizer.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

Quantum Toast posted:

I just realized it's only a matter of time until there's a Nimpize randomizer.

Oh hell no. :stonk:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

It isn't even poor sign posting though for as people have noted, you have to head there to get the bow before you can do any of the other dungeons. This is just a case of extremely lovely item placement with no thoughts about the wider consequences of what has been done.

Fair point.

Also, I don't think this hack is popular enough to get a randomizer.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

A Nimpize Randomizer would make the game more logically linear, though.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

Ryushikaze posted:

A Nimpize Randomizer would make the game more logically linear, though.

Huh, maybe. I still have my doubts that anyone who would like this enough to create a randomizer wouldn’t gently caress it up more. As then you’d probably have to go do some temples stuff before being able to get the actual Gems.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Considering how linear Nimpize is and how there's a complete lack of fast travel options, I think people simply wouldn't *want* to make a randomizer for it. It also doesn't really have that many chests with random item bundles or rupees in it, meaning the number of places to find items is severely decreased compared to the original. It's just not an ideal game to randomize.

Also, I've been out of town for the last few days, which explains the lack of updates. I won't be back home until Sunday or Monday.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I still find it weird that there's no warps. Granted I know jack about programming/the process of making a romhack, but all the temples are in the right places aside from water. Seems like they could give you all the other songs fine. But hey, I guess you can't spell Nimpize with easy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I legitimately believe OstreanLava decided that conveniences that cut out things like backtracking made the game too easy or some poo poo like that so anything that could possibly save time was axed to inflate game time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TwoPair posted:

I still find it weird that there's no warps. Granted I know jack about programming/the process of making a romhack, but all the temples are in the right places aside from water. Seems like they could give you all the other songs fine. But hey, I guess you can't spell Nimpize with easy.

Yeah what happened to Lake Hylia? Replaced by one of the new zones or something?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Still going through the thread, but I figured I'd share my sandwiches.

The classic.

and a simple turkey sub hoagie.

TexturedMonk
Aug 31, 2018

I'm not caught up yet, after only discovering this a couple of days ago, but I just want throw in my support for this very entertaining LP.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hope to see some new episodes soon so we can get more sandwich puns on the LP.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PureRok posted:

Still going through the thread, but I figured I'd share my sandwiches.

The classic.

and a simple turkey sub hoagie.

Oh poo poo I have those same plates lol

Let me guess, they were your grandmother's?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Erainor posted:

Hope to see some new episodes soon so we can get more sandwich puns on the LP.

This session has some good updates in it, but I don't think there are any more sandwich puns. There are things better than sandwich puns, though.

And the next session is pure gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't see how this game exists and there's still not a complete (and good) Link to the Past hack. I mean, we all know Calatia is never gonna happen.