Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Midjack posted:

This is just too precious.

Because?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Midjack posted:

They may wait for Unicorn 2 so they can put Unicorn, NT, and UC2 into it. There hasn’t been a lot of new UC stuff in the last decade to extend the timeline or have a new faction, though Sleeves could be a thing after NT.

Chaos option: do F91, Victory, and Crossbone after the EFF/Zeon conflict is over.

Then finish off with Metatron vs the Man-hunting agency.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Xarbala posted:

Gihrens Greed is absolutely niche though

It is so goddamn niche, but you can't help but love a video game series that says 'What if Tem Ray got together at a bar with Franklin Bidan, Paptimus Scirocco, and Ginias Sahalin and decided 'gently caress it, we're going to make our own army and rule the earthsphere through SCIENCE'?' and goes full hog with it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

LuiCypher posted:

It is so goddamn niche, but you can't help but love a video game series that says 'What if Tem Ray got together at a bar with Franklin Bidan, Paptimus Scirocco, and Ginias Sahalin and decided 'gently caress it, we're going to make our own army and rule the earthsphere through SCIENCE'?' and goes full hog with it.

The answer is a plague of Psycho Gundams, sweeping the land like the locusts of Apollyon BTW.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
And then they invite Ronah and bug the hell out of everyone.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ka0 posted:

And then they invite Ronah and bug the hell out of everyone.

:golfclap:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Looks like a writer's been confirmed for the live action Gundam movie

So I am really unfamiliar with this guy's works. Is this a good or bad decision? One of the other places I hang out thinks it means the movie will be worse than G-Savior.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

By the way, you're playing as Tem Ray post-oxygen deprivation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwj-BN6b-mY

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Brian K. Vaughan has written some extremely good American comics over the years (Runaways and Saga are both absolute stand-outs) so they at least tapped a legitimately talented writer. Whether or not he'll be good for writing Gundam, whether he'll work well writing for a Hollywood movie, and whether he'll write well with the demands that will no doubt be coming from Bandai all remain open questions.

What I'm saying is that Vaughan isn't a hack for whatever that's worth.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tulalip Tulips posted:

So I am really unfamiliar with this guy's works. Is this a good or bad decision? One of the other places I hang out thinks it means the movie will be worse than G-Savior.

He's a fantastic comic writer so I'm really looking forward to the movie now.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
BKV is legit one of my favorite comic book writers, so I am now three times more hyped for this film.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

BKV is legit one of my favorite comic book writers, so I am now three times more hyped for this film.

He's even got experience writing Canadian giant robot pilots. Admittedly, that comic was... not very good, but overall?

Yeah. This is exciting news.

He's one of the best out there right now in the competitive field of making you care about characters and then brutally murdering them.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

chiasaur11 posted:

He's one of the best out there right now in the competitive field of making you care about characters and then brutally murdering them.

To be honest, I think some of the character deaths in his works can come across as gratuitous.

Which is also true of Gundam at times, so I guess that part won't feel out of line.

Having said that, apparently his television work isn't as good as his comic book runs.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
We need a live action Megas XLR movie.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Midjack posted:

They may wait for Unicorn 2 so they can put Unicorn, NT, and UC2 into it. There hasn’t been a lot of new UC stuff in the last decade to extend the timeline or have a new faction, though Sleeves could be a thing after NT.

Chaos option: do F91, Victory, and Crossbone after the EFF/Zeon conflict is over.

They could also toss in some stuff from Thunderbolt and The Origin

LuiCypher posted:

By the way, you're playing as Tem Ray post-oxygen deprivation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwj-BN6b-mY

Weird, the campaign they did for him over in the 4chan threads started prior to Gundam Rising, and had the big divergence be him deciding to pilot the RX-78-1 to fight some of Char's men(Amuro still gets in the RX-78-2 though) and thus doesn't get oxygen deprived, which makes everything that follows even worse

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

We need a live action Megas XLR movie.

Seconding this, but I would settle for Cartoon Network at least acknowledging that Megas XLR existed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Turns out Dutch Netflix has a lot of Gundam (compared to that you'd expect). Unicorn is more flawed than I thought on first watch but drat it's pretty on a proper TV.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Paper Kaiju posted:

Seconding this, but I would settle for Cartoon Network at least acknowledging that Megas XLR existed.

No one can legally acknowledge XLR existed

The rights literally got sucked into a void

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think it’s on iTunes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tulalip Tulips posted:

According to Wikipedia, he was the showrunner and executive producer of Under The Dome. Which was shockingly bad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That only applies to them airing it on TV

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

According to Wikipedia, he was the showrunner and executive producer of Under The Dome. Which was shockingly bad.

The Showrunner for Under the Dome according to Wikipedia is a dude named Neal Baer, Wikipedia gives Vaughan only the "developed by" credit and he shares executive producer credit with eight other people including Baer, Steven Spielberg, and Stephen King. Again, it's still up in the air how Vaughan is going to be as the author of G-Saviour 2 or whatever, but I don't think he deserves sole credit for the tire fire that was Under The Dome.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Under the D.O.M.E.

The live action movie will be a Gundam X prequel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Omnicrom posted:

Then finish off with Metatron vs the Man-hunting agency.

gently caress yes give me Gaia Gear already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LmzoSZ47zM

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Raxivace posted:

Under the D.O.M.E.

The live action movie will be a Gundam X prequel.

Dean Norris even looks like Bloodman, this checks out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wait, really? I thought it'd be pretty cut and dry between the creators and Cartoon Network?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Apparently they wrote it off as a tax loss, so if they create more episodes they have to pay back taxes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kurieg posted:

Apparently they wrote it off as a tax loss, so if they create more episodes they have to pay back taxes.

Yep. Same thing happened IIRC to Beware The Batman, the CG animated Batman show that had a poo poo pilot episode but turned out surprisingly good. All the worse because it ended its run on a cliffhanger, not that you'd know because, again IIRC, they dumped the entire back half of the second season in a single night and promptly cancelled all further airings.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Apparently they could buy back the rights, but apparently someone else nabbed them and they haven't been able to find out who bought them, or at least that's what the rumors say

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Is there any indication on whether the live action movie's going to be 0079, an original story, or is it way too early to speculate?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's gotta be 0079, Bandai has tried to shill it over here for years and only really got successful with unicorn for UC works.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Live action war in the pocket.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's gotta be 0079, Bandai has tried to shill it over here for years and only really got successful with unicorn for UC works.

Yeah, if they can make 0079 stick in the popular consciousness, they have a large enough catalog of Gunpla, toys and other merchandise related to an alternate 0079 (to the presumed 0079 movies) that they could bring out something"new" every week and still be at it for years.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

That'd be nice if they did, assuming they can find a vaguely charismatic guy to play Char.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope they actually play up how varied and international the crew of White Base really is instead of casting a bunch of lame white kids or a bunch of Japanese kids with bad haircuts. I want a mix of white and Japanese kids with bad haircuts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish they'd let go of "Universal Century must succeed in America hghlafghghlafghghlafghghlafgh" and try a tightened up adaptation of Wing, since that's the one that will have good memories to bank on.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

It's Frozen Teardrop: the Live Action Movie

(i think i could die happy if this were the case)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm assuming that it will be extremely loosely based around MSG. The MSG story is too big for them to tell it in one movie, and I doubt that Legendary is dumb enough to just assume the first movie will be successful enough to guarantee a trilogy.

So they'll do one Gundam movie, there will be a protagonist named Amuro and an antagonist named Char, there will be a space war fought with Mobile Suits, a Gundam that is recognizably the Gundam but also noticeably different to fit the look of the live-action movie, a Zaku that is recognizably a Zaku but also noticeably different to fit the look of the live-action movie, and probably a big spaceship called White Base. But otherwise the goal will be to create a single good Gundam movie with the franchise potential. Not to do a live-action adaptation of the original series.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If it adapts any pre-existing thing it'll be UC, because that's where Sunrise's bread is buttered, and I'd expect it to be roughly as close as Alita, now that that's proven to work. Maybe rejiggering the order of events to the point that the final fight scene is Amuro vs Garma in a Gelgoog during the atmospheric reentry battle, but enough would be kept that if they did get the option to extend it into a trilogy they could follow the rough arc of the show. I don't think there's any expectation that they'd make a live action movie that's just the first four episodes of the show or a remake of the first compilation movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dwayne Johnson as Char Aznable

Zac Effron as Amuro

The audience as the victims