Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I personally think Incubus says Solomon hasn't won yet because Solomon's goal is 'security and an eternal empire' and there are still threats to that which could bring it down. You haven't won until literally nothing can threaten your goal.
Incubus' goal seems to be 'make the other demiurges respect him or at least prove he's their equal' which is not quite 'rule the omniverse.'
It will never happen though because he wants emotional validation from a source that will never give it, and/or to Show Them All. He and Allison will clash but not because of his plans precisely, but because of the way his plans and his desires aren't quite a fit. At least, I hope it's like that, because I like that the demiurges' conflict with Allison is mostly not 'we have incompatible visions for the universe' because she doesn't actually have one of those. Eventually that will happen, I'm sure. But until then the clashes will remain more complex and messy and driven by the way the demiurges are trapped in cycles and unable to stop being cosmic tyrants even if they theoretically don't want to be.

Allison put it pretty sucibctly with Mottom: 'Everyone dies. Get over yourself.' That's not about Mottom standing in the way of her grand destiny, that's about Mottom being terrible and emotionally stunted in a way that kills people, and Allison reacting to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Notable that Solomon calls Incubus "Boy". I take it Incubus is the youngest of the demiurges?

That makes me wonder about the ages of the rest of them and how long they've been ruling, seeing as aging is clearly a big deal to Mottom and Mammon. Here's my thoughts:

Incubus is probably the youngest, seeing as they're still talking about him taking the throne from Maya. That brings up the question of Maya's age, though - is she also rather young, or has she found a way to stave off aging, even after giving up the key? Martial arts breathing bullshit, possibly? Her master clearly didn't do any of that, though, so I'd guess she's reasonably young as well.

Solomon David we have a better idea of, since he states he's had 25 generations of children while ruling. That would probably make him less than 1000 years old - seemingly young by demiurge standards, martial arts breathing bullshit notwithstanding.

Mammon and Mottom are clearly Really loving Old since both are falling apart at the seams. I'd guess both are older than Jaggonoth, but that's pure speculation (maybe he has martial arts breathing bullshit too!). And Jadis clearly has been affected quite heavily by time.

Gog-Agog, though... Who loving knows. Could be the newest, could be the oldest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Notable that Solomon calls Incubus "Boy". I take it Incubus is the youngest of the demiurges?

That makes me wonder about the ages of the rest of them and how long they've been ruling, seeing as aging is clearly a big deal to Mottom and Mammon. Here's my thoughts:

this was already laid out by operant, though the only part i remember is that gog-agog is the oldest by a huge margin

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

this was already laid out by operant, though the only part i remember is that gog-agog is the oldest by a huge margin

Oh, it was? I'm curious to see that. And that tracks well with Gog-Agog, of course she (?) wouldn't be affected by time at all.

Edit: ok, I guess what I'm actually curious about is how long ago the Universal War happened. I've been guessing it's somewhere around 1000 years, and that the current 7 demiurges we see (maybe minus Incubus) have been ruling since its conclusion. But maybe there's material from Operant I missed detailing that?

Man I wish I didn't have to study for a certification right now, I'm so into this setting that I really want to work on a campaign of the RPG...

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 6, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just want to say that I absolutely love the fact that "martial arts breathing bullshit" isn't just bullshit, but a Literal Thing that can be used to explain things.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Personally I'd consider a millennium the lowball estimate for the Pact of the Seven-Part World.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

I just want to say that I absolutely love the fact that "martial arts breathing bullshit" isn't just bullshit, but a Literal Thing that can be used to explain things.

Yeah when I say that it's actually a direct (albeit tongue-in-cheek) quote from Operant.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ki Rata is literally built on Martial Arts Breathing Bullshit.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I will say that ABADDON's previous statement that "the most powerful dudes in the setting are completely hosed up and crippled" (a reference to Himself and Metatron) makes me kinda more wary of Incubus, who seems to not able to stand without that sword and might have even been using it to help him see (the way he held it back in the Pit is similar to how blind people use their sight canes and he's constantly tapping it to the ground, perhaps to help him navigate via echolocation).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah when I say that it's actually a direct (albeit tongue-in-cheek) quote from Operant.

Yeah, I know. And it owns.

This whole setting owns.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you do acupuncture hard enough you can break walls with your skull

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SunAndSpring posted:

I will say that ABADDON's previous statement that "the most powerful dudes in the setting are completely hosed up and crippled" (a reference to Himself and Metatron) makes me kinda more wary of Incubus, who seems to not able to stand without that sword and might have even been using it to help him see (the way he held it back in the Pit is similar to how blind people use their sight canes and he's constantly tapping it to the ground, perhaps to help him navigate via echolocation).

And we all know that blind swordsmen are always the real scary ones.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
found it

quote:

Who are said to be the oldest and the youngest members of the Seven, respectively?

quote:

Oldest to youngest:

Gog Agog (by a large, large margin)

Jadis

Mammon

Mottom

Solomon David

Jagganoth

Incubus

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Dave is telling Gog-a-gog that they'll keep head exploding.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nice, that pretty much tracks with what I had gleaned. Thanks.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mostly what I’m saying is if Solomon David, second strongest of the demiurges and ruler of an empire lasting 25+ generations, can’t be said to have won, then Incubus, King of the Pit, certainly can’t. So Incubus saying that about SD has a pretty strong subtext of saying that about himself, too.

Jag’s goal is to kill everything, including the demiurges. Incubus plans to use Allison as a wedge to destabilize the opposing demiurges so Jag can start doing that. I suppose it isn’t clear that he necessarily wants to see all of them dead, but he certainly wants to use the situation to come out on top, and I’m not sure how he does that without letting Jag just remove his competition.

SunAndSpring posted:

Incubus kind of comes off as blind except for that scene where Incubus watches Jag stand up from his pile of gold, and his head cranes back to track his movement. So he can see (or maybe “see”) to some extent at least.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's actually weird that Mottom is one of the older Demiurges. She killed her husband in his sleep and took his power and, presumably, he was already a Demiurge by then. I guess it could have been before they got to the last 7 but that's still strange to me because Mottom wasn't a warrior of any kind before she got her power, so her odds of surviving the War should have been low.

Conversely, Solomon defeated a Demiurge with fist arts and no key so he should be pretty high up there on the power scale.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

It's actually weird that Mottom is one of the older Demiurges. She killed her husband in his sleep and took his power and, presumably, he was already a Demiurge by then. I guess it could have been before they got to the last 7 but that's still strange to me because Mottom wasn't a warrior of any kind before she got her power, so her odds of surviving the War should have been low.

Conversely, Solomon defeated a Demiurge with fist arts and no key so he should be pretty high up there on the power scale.

There were more than 7 before the universal war. That whittled it down to these 7 and they split up what was left. Presumably she killed her husband well before the war (or its conclusion).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I like how Incubus's spoken text isn't colored like the other demiurges. I would expect more pink following the convention. Makes me go :hmmm:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

that symbol looks a lot like U+00A4: "Currency Sign" ¤

iirc it's supposed to be used in cases where the real symbol is unavailable, or if the actual currency can be understood by context and it's not worth the trouble of printing the right symbol for individual currencies, or the currency itself literally just doesn't matter. Or somehow it was just supposed to be used as a placeholder that automatically converts from an abstract amount of currency to the correct local currency. P weird symbol. Works for mammon.

I would assume that his currency would be universally accepted given his influence so having a nondescript symbol that just means "this is currency" works for him and his followers although it's worth noting that they adorn themselves with other currency symbols as well.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I've given up on ever having a coherent timeline, especially when you factor in all the lore snippets below the comics. It's all arbitrary timey-wimey bullshit anyway(in a good way, it doesn't need to be clear).

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Maybe don't take this as gospel, but:

http://killsixbilliondemons.tumblr.com/post/176276374345/what-made-mottoms-skin-so-blackdark-purple-i posted:

Q - mightbeafakeaccount asked: What made Mottom's skin so black/dark purple? I know people get a little weird looking in old age but I've never seen anything like her.

A: She’s basically a mummy, she’s like 3000 yrs old

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Eschatos posted:

I've given up on ever having a coherent timeline, especially when you factor in all the lore snippets below the comics. It's all arbitrary timey-wimey bullshit anyway(in a good way, it doesn't need to be clear).

I think it's also implied somewhere that concise historical records existed but got blown up like the rest of creation during the universal war. The stuff we read below the comic are stories, rumors, propaganda and wallowing misery.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Consider: the closest thing to a record of the Third Conquest (what we're seeing right now) will be written by Cio. History is hosed.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Gog-Agog got even weirder in her second appearance. At first she just imitated the last person who spoke but now she has a very childlike persona.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

What a demiurge is has changed a couple of times though. Original demiurges were people who managed to kung fu blast their way out of their own universe to find Throne at the centre of the multiverse, under their own steam. After Zoss made the keys and gave them out, presumably anyone who had at least one key was a demiurge. The universal war was everyone vs absolutely everyone until only the 7 remained, formed a tentative truce and split the keys evenly, so now a demiurge is someone with 111,111 keys and absolute dominion over 1/7 of the multiverse (Yab had some of Mammon's power at one point which might have been enough to make her a minor demiurge during the war, but no one thought of her that way since she was clearly a nobody next to the 7).

None of the 7 predate the war, they all to some extent grabbed a bit of power during a multiversal clusterfuck and ended being the last ones standing at the end. The guys Mottom and Solomon killed, and whoever Mammon bought his key off, were demiurges but they might have had like 1 key, or 100 or 1000. Probably none of them were either OG demiurges or had the kind of power the 7 have now. Whereas it looks like Incubus took over after the pact, which is why they're all so salty about it. No one gives a poo poo who Mottom originally took power from because she still went through the business of winning/surviving universal war, whereas just sort of taking over as one of the 7 most powerful beings in creation and starting to turn up for meetings seems a bit weak.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

wiegieman posted:

Consider: the closest thing to a record of the Third Conquest (what we're seeing right now) will be written by Cio. History is hosed.

Oh, there'll be a lot of loving alright.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dmitri-9 posted:

Gog-Agog got even weirder in her second appearance. At first she just imitated the last person who spoke but now she has a very childlike persona.

"i always think it's funny, yes"

gog-agog's been generally infantile in both her appearances, i think it's just that this time she has more pretty lights to look at and it's put her in a good mood

though given her whole Thing i wouldn't be surprised if she's constantly tweaking and revising her personality along with her face

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

wiegieman posted:

There was text under one of the comics alluding to this, some future historian complaining that he really wished the only detailed account of The Rising King hadn't been so... embellished.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Dmitri-9 posted:

I really love her :mad: "hello?" in the last comic. You're right, Gog-Agog, it's bullshit that Mottom keeps blowing your head off. Please eat her and her butt-peaches.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really, what surprised me in this latest comic was Jadis chiming in to slam Incubus. She didn't seem like the sort to talk much in her first appearance and the way even Jagganoth stopped to listen to her (and then her rambling servant) made it seem like a rare/portentous moment. Now she's speaking up just to insult Incubus; is he that much of a fuckup/outsider to the others, or did Abbadon's ideas for their personalities and such shift somewhat over the years since her last appearance? (Or did she just not feel like talking the first time and spent most of that meeting rolling her eyes at the others in her glass cube?)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
50 dragon doubloons says that Incubus was a trophy spouse of the last demiurge and only got his key after bilking the last holders heirs out of their inheritance.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Roland Jones posted:

Really, what surprised me in this latest comic was Jadis chiming in to slam Incubus. She didn't seem like the sort to talk much in her first appearance and the way even Jagganoth stopped to listen to her (and then her rambling servant) made it seem like a rare/portentous moment. Now she's speaking up just to insult Incubus; is he that much of a fuckup/outsider to the others, or did Abbadon's ideas for their personalities and such shift somewhat over the years since her last appearance? (Or did she just not feel like talking the first time and spent most of that meeting rolling her eyes at the others in her glass cube?)

She could be addressing Incubus, but she could just as easily just be speaking to (and about) the room as a whole, or to no one at all.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

50 dragon doubloons says that Incubus was a trophy spouse of the last demiurge and only got his key after bilking the last holders heirs out of their inheritance.

More likely won it from her in a drunken bet

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

habeasdorkus posted:

it's been all but outright stated the demiurge incubus got his key from was auntie maya (the lady with the not-a-sword-but-still-a-sword) and that she abdicated for Reasons™

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Seems like he was a part of Meti’s army, so chances are she dumped it on him when she gave it all up.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Schwarzwald posted:

She could be addressing Incubus, but she could just as easily just be speaking to (and about) the room as a whole, or to no one at all.

I wonder if Jadis knows he's plotting against them. Or maybe she just dislikes the guy who hangs out in a blood pool.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

voting third party posted:

I wonder if Jadis knows he's plotting against them. Or maybe she just dislikes the guy who hangs out in a blood pool.

According to the lore Jadis went bonkers from observing the true shape of the universe and gained omniscience, so I'd say yes, to both.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

voting third party posted:

she saw the shape of the universe which seems to mean "her mind was exposed to knowledge of all events, everywhere, past and future included" in K6BD terms

she also wants to die as a result of this

e: it's also worth noting that even pree aesma, goddess of being a furious dumbass, went mad from seeing the shape of the universe, so it isn't something anyone should really aspire to

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Thought of roundabouts and was exiled from existence.

RIP in peace, 3 Reliant Michael

Oxxidation posted:

allison already overcame the worst of incubus' influence when she re-united with her Power in yre, now she's developing her skills in tandem with her friends and inky is already losing his grip on the reins

Arc prediction: Operant is telegraphing a big showdown with Solomon, but instead Allison's gonna whup Incubus

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 7, 2019