Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i know what i said :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Sludge Tank posted:

im hoping to pull 675 at the end of this block.
i have crooked hips and hosed up hip flexors from years of sedentary sitting among a myriad of other problems thats kept my squat max poverty but its fine i just train high volume squat for hypertrophy

id love to squat with the big boys though, theres a powerlifter manleg at my gym and we deadlift about the same and his squats the same as his deadlift which can be deflating. hes put 250lbs on his total the last 12 months

Easy solution: bench more often

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i havent benched in like a year. ive been doing incline bench with a cambered duffalo bar so the range of motion is pretty huge. i jumped on a bench last week to see what it felt like and the ROM felt comically short compared to what im used to now. my wrists didnt like it too much though.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Benching is fun and most people seem to be very weak at benching

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i have loving long rear end arms so ill never get a mega bench. im all about overhead strength (which i also suck at)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I liked benching and it was one of my best lifts but eventually I learned that it is bad and no one should do it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

i have loving long rear end arms so ill never get a mega bench. im all about overhead strength (which i also suck at)

Overhead strength is good and fun.

In other news I finally got 225 on the bench for reps.

That only took me 4 god drat years. Granted I wasn’t as dedicated as I am now but gently caress poo poo takes a long time.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
According to the strength charts I'm intermediate/advanced in both Deadlifting and Benchpress but I'm only novice at Squatting :3:

https://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

According to the strength charts I'm intermediate/advanced in both Deadlifting and Benchpress but I'm only novice at Squatting :3:

https://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards

Woohoo I’m firmly intermediate!

#goals

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Never stop benching

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fallows posted:

Never stop benching

I would buy this.

I want this.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Does it come with a grapefruit to gently caress

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What exercises will make me a sexual tyrannosaurus?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

What exercises will make me a sexual tyrannosaurus?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

I think Cailer Woolam can bench 400+ and he has crazy long deadlift arms. He's probably a freak though.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
cailer woolam doesnt count

e: 400 isnt that mental for a bench press imho. its certainly very stronk but it wont get many likes on instagram

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 7, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah unless you're in one of the lighter weight classes or a woman you're not actually competitive in power lifting until the 400s and in the 500s for the heavier classes. There's like 600 people in the 198 classes that can do it and PL is a pretty small sport so who knows how many people out there can actually do that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Caller Woolam also takes a lot of steroids which I feel is important to point out

He made Dan Green mad on Instagram by saying his ideal fed would be "the IPF with steroids, also sumo is banned"

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Guyver posted:

PL is a pretty small sport

lol

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm going to shoot to bench 250 today and if I manage I'm going to feel very good about myself.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
What percentage of the developed world do you think actually lifts? Like not your usual gymrats but people who actually try to BB/PL/WL seriously if not actually professionally?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I've seen one guy do it in my gym over the last 3 years. He wore one of those weightlifting/wrestling suit things

And did good weight on squats to the point where I imagine his PR could probably be really impressive. But that's about it

But I go to a lovely chain gym so eh

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
You would have to get member numbers from each of the regional federations (not the international ones b/c there would be a lot of overlap from people in multiple orgs) to get an accurate idea. I'd guess like 20-50 thousand, to pull a number right out of my rear end.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

lol bret

also I was watching the CPF (Canadian powerlifting federation) meet, whole lotta people missing their 3rd attempts. I mean yeah go big or go home but way more misses than I'm used to seeing.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Lets assume the developed world is about a billion people. Lets look at a real sport with real stats: hockey. 1.7 million people play hockey. Are they all from the "developed world"? No, but who cares. So 0% of the developed world plays hockey.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I mean I know it's niche, I'm just curious about how niche it is. And I have a western bias since those kind of sports have no real money in them so people who are strong go into a team sport of some kind where the money is. But like I'm sure there are more serious Eastern European lifters than like American lifters because of the infrastructure surrounding the sport, right?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Sludge Tank posted:

cailer woolam doesnt count

e: 400 isnt that mental for a bench press imho. its certainly very stronk but it wont get many likes on instagram

Ed Coan had a pretty good bench and long arms

MikeCrotch posted:

He made Dan Green mad on Instagram

Lol I didn't know that part

Fhqwhgads posted:

What percentage of the developed world do you think actually lifts? Like not your usual gymrats but people who actually try to BB/PL/WL seriously if not actually professionally?

I feel like powerlifting has turned into this in the US at least

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
A lot of people get disheartened when they realize they have to start taking steroids to be competitive at upper echelons of a sport

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MikeCrotch posted:

Caller Woolam also takes a lot of steroids which I feel is important to point out

He made Dan Green mad on Instagram by saying his ideal fed would be "the IPF with steroids, also sumo is banned"

Doesn't he primarily pull sumo in competition himself?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

I mean I know it's niche, I'm just curious about how niche it is. And I have a western bias since those kind of sports have no real money in them so people who are strong go into a team sport of some kind where the money is. But like I'm sure there are more serious Eastern European lifters than like American lifters because of the infrastructure surrounding the sport, right?

Theres at least 20k who have competed in the ipf in the last four years for powerlifting. Then theres all the other feds. I think you can look at the database at openpowerlifting and figure out how many unqiue individuals compete pretty easily. I dont know how to get the info for weightlifting, but it should be easier because there arent a bunch of untested feds. Bodybuilding who knows

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

VorpalFish posted:

Doesn't he primarily pull sumo in competition himself?

Never min maxed and wished you could be playing for fun instead?

Collapsing Farts posted:

A lot of people get disheartened when they realize they have to start taking steroids to be competitive at upper echelons of a sport

IMO better than being born wrong for the sport

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Thought some rear end in a top hat was tapping on my shoulder from behind; turns out it's my shoulder spasming

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My gym just announced that they're going to get rid of the half basketball court (cut it in half & removed the bleacher seating about a year ago to move the free weights into that space) to expand the free weights some more & add extra cages/platforms plus more strongman equipment. I love my gym

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I'm going to shoot to bench 250 today and if I manage I'm going to feel very good about myself.

Thanks to a random spotter (glad I got over my fear of talking to strangers in the gym) I PR'd 250lbsx2 :feelsgood:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Nice, wish they did that too with the two rooms they use in my gym for cyberfitness classes. Which is just the old workout vhs tapes your mother had, played on a larger screen.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Idaho has like 300-350 lifters eligible to compete in oly.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
My gym is garbage but it's right next to where I live god damnit. It's so nice to be able to just take a 3 minute walk and arrive at the gym

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

My gym is garbage but it's right next to where I live god damnit. It's so nice to be able to just take a 3 minute walk and arrive at the gym

Pretty much the same. Also it's cheap. I'll take a $35/mo garbo gym that's 3 blocks away over the $200/mo fancy gym 4 blocks away or the $250/mo legit PL gym that's a few subway stops away.

I may never know the joy of lifting with straight bars or platforms or bumpers or without the risk of contracting tetanus but I've been able to squat 400+ and DL 500+ without it so far.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 7, 2019

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I pay $10/mo since I joined up a few years ago (they've raised the price to $20/mo since) but I do have to drive tennish minutes to get there. It's a nice balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm pretty sure I pay more than the standard rate at my gym but I'm too much of a coward to demand they change it.

The girls they hire to stand behind the desk are too pretty, and I'm scared I'll be labelled a dirty(er) old man if I look at them long enough to ask questions.