Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Looper posted:

1. wonderful 101
2. bayonetta 2
3. mario 3d world
4. new mario u
5. mario maker
6. mario kart 8
7. smash for
8. yoshi wooly world
9. nintendo land
10. donkey kong tropical freeze
11. pikmin 3
12. hyrule warriors
13. kirby rainbow curse
14. paper mario color splash (@ me)
15. tokyo mirage sessions
16. captain toad
17. fatal frame 5
18. splatoon
19. pokken
20. breath of the wild

case closed

Nintendo Land fuckin rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Midjack posted:

Ouya refugee game that seems to have succeeded anyway.

It's a really good game. It's pretty hilarious that this was an OUYA EXCLUSIVE though and ironically the push they got from being the one good Ouya game really helped on other platforms.

It's also the kind of game that is easy to pick up and play for all skill levels, my friends that are not good enough at Smash can pick up and win a match just fine. It's 6 players local, and our weekend group varies in size from 2-8 people depending on the week so it's nice to have options

Towerfall: very popular
Smash: very popular but some of us like it way more than others (And personally I prefer it as a 1v1 serious business game)
Jackbox Games: BReak the Internet, Quiplash and Fibbage are all popular. These actually work with my wife + her friends too, who typically do not play games at all.

Looper posted:

case closed

I don't disagree at all, but I do think it's funny that the Switch is literally just better versions of all of those games that sell 10 times better.

I think I bought about 7 games for the Wii U, but they were all extremely good games that I was happy with. And then I bought some of them on Switch again anyway, because they were better versions of extremely good games.

I don't think the Switch would have had as strong of a launch as it did if it wasn't just fixing the mistakes of Wii U era nintendo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Wii U's library was pretty strong, I got the impression that they were trying pretty hard to win back the core audience after a perception that they'd alienated them with the later years of the Wii. Just took a bit long for enough of those games to actually come out, and few of them were marketed at all. (Splatoon aside)

The Switch is definitely something of a clean break from the Wii U's mistakes and also learning from them, and realising people actually liked the idea of a hybrid home console/portable that half of everyone assumed the Wii U was. Also, that you actually need to market the thing properly so people know what it is.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, that you actually need to market the thing properly so people know what it is.

It was this, yeah. I briefly worked retail at the time and probably 90% of parents had questions about it. Most thought it was just a fancy controller. "We already have a Wii and enough controllers."

Really it was just a terribly named and marketed product.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would have done better if they had just called it the Super Wii like I told them to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pikmin and Mario Kart are the only games I wanted from the WiiU onto my switch and were 50% there.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tokyo miragse sesisons

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

tokyo miragse sesisons

Ive no interest in ever playing it again* so no need to port.

*Id do a sequel since it and DDS are the only SMT games I unambiguously liked

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Super No Vacancy posted:

tokyo miragse sesisons

I'm amazed this and Xenoblade Chronicles X haven't been ported yet. Seems like a no brainer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mulderman posted:

I'm amazed this and Xenoblade Chronicles X haven't been ported yet. Seems like a no brainer.

Chronicles X is not very good and would require some real reworking that would be better served just making another, new Xenoblade game and I wouldnt be surprised if Tokyo Mirage Sessions requires a renegotiation with Atlus since itd be new hardware and require game changes.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Digital Foundry published their technical review of Trials Rising. Apparently there are framerate hiccups across platforms that has to do with the network play component.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'd like another game like TMS but I wouldn't want to play through it a second time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

Chronicles X is not very good and would require some real reworking that would be better served just making another, new Xenoblade game and I wouldnt be surprised if Tokyo Mirage Sessions requires a renegotiation with Atlus since itd be new hardware and require game changes.

Yeah, there are some real caveats for even the people who liked XCX calling it a good game (myself included), and the top of that list is "they released what they could get finished". It is so blatantly incomplete that there's no acceptable way you could port it in the state it's in and still slide on that excuse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions actually probably wouldn't require much in the way of re-negotiations considering it was a WiiU exclusive and they're making Shin Megami Tensei V as a Switch exclusive anyway (ie; they have both the means and motive to do it).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

From January

Infinitum posted:

I said it a while ago, but Nintendo should just release a LABO Virtual Boy kit and then sell the games separately on the cheap.

I'd buy that loving thing in an instant.

:hellyeah:

(Now release Virtual Boy games now that you've got the VR kit to go with it)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looper posted:

name them

Wario World
Jack Bros(North Americas first persona game)
Teleroboxer
Mario Clash
Mario Tennis
Red Alarm
3D Tetris(might have been called Cubetris or something)

Those are just the ones I had though

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The wiiu is a transitional fossil between the ds and switch, and never got used to its full potential

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I noticed last night that Tetris99 is now at version 1.1.0. Anyone know what changes took place, or is it all under-the-hood stuff to prepare for the competition?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

From January

:hellyeah:

(Now release Virtual Boy games now that you've got the VR kit to go with it)

The problem is you don't understand what's being asked of it; The Switch's onboard display resolution simply is not good enough for VR. I'd be looking at the VR Labo kit with a huge goddamn chunk of salt for what you'll actually get out of it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Super No Vacancy posted:

tokyo miragse sesisons

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I know I'm kinda a white noise poster but this community is one that I've belonged to for almost 15 years and it's one of the few places I feel safe to talk about things. My father committed suicide on Tuesday and the whole family is just broken. I am still in shock, I keep going through waves of emotions and I am just so scared. I don't know what my brothers and I are going to do, I don't know what my mother is going to do, and I am just empty inside right now. Tell the people around you that you love them, please be kind to each other and be there for each other. I just needed to vent, I'm sorry for getting so serious in the games nintendo chat thread. Thank you.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is you don't understand what's being asked of it; The Switch's onboard display resolution simply is not good enough for VR. I'd be looking at the VR Labo kit with a huge goddamn chunk of salt for what you'll actually get out of it.

You keep saying that as though these are hypothetical games that dont already exist at a lower resolution than the switch

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I know I'm kinda a white noise poster but this community is one that I've belonged to for almost 15 years and it's one of the few places I feel safe to talk about things. My father committed suicide on Tuesday and the whole family is just broken. I am still in shock, I keep going through waves of emotions and I am just so scared. I don't know what my brothers and I are going to do, I don't know what my mother is going to do, and I am just empty inside right now. Tell the people around you that you love them, please be kind to each other and be there for each other. I just needed to vent, I'm sorry for getting so serious in the games nintendo chat thread. Thank you.

I recently lost my mother rather quickly which was difficult being half way across the world. You have my deepest sympathies. It’s really tough. The best you can do is be there for your family. The funeral was a way to reconnect with a lot of people and it made me appreciate my extended family a lot more. Share as much as you can. Cry and laugh a lot. You’ll get through this. All my best.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I almost never post but I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we're sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The wiiu is a transitional fossil between the ds and switch, and never got used to its full potential

It got used to every ounce of potential it had

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Goondolences. That’s fuckin horrible. All I can say is that as bad as it is now, it will all be OK in the end. Be there for your family, but don’t forget to take time for yourself, too.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Fun Times! posted:

It got used to every ounce of potential it had

I disagree since no game outside of Nintendo Land really used the dual screen aspect in any innovative way.

That's always struck me as weird. Nintendo Land was the clear attempt at a proof of concept for the tablet controller, and then they never iterated on any of the ideas.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jables88 posted:

I disagree since no game outside of Nintendo Land really used the dual screen aspect in any innovative way.

That's always struck me as weird. Nintendo Land was the clear attempt at a proof of concept for the tablet controller, and then they never iterated on any of the ideas.

There were a couple of games where the multiplayer used the asynchronous screen and there was ZombiU which used it in gameplay but yes, basically nothing ever made use of it well because it turns out that was a weak concept and an abysmal execution

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I sent you a discord message but I just want to say here too that me and surely anyone else here would be willing to talk or help however we can. Just reach out if you need to. This isn’t going to be easy, losing someone who truly matters to you never will be. Don’t fight your emotions but try to keep together, okay? Keep moving forward no matter how painful and pointless as it may seem short term :love:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:AUSGOONS:siren:

Harvey Norman is apparently gearing up for a massively-discounted games clearance sale online and in-store that SHOULD have actually started about 40 minutes ago at midnight. Some of these look to have gone live on the Harvey Norman website already, some are still showing original price, though apparently prices may vary between retail stores and online, so :rolldice:.

Nintendo Switch games include;

• Super Mario Odyssey - $49AUD
  • Pokemon Let's Go - $48AUD
  • Pokemon Let's Go Pokeball Bundle - $78AUD :siren:
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - $29AUD :siren:
  • Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - $49AUD

Additionally you can get a Nintendo Switch (Neon) for only :siren:$399AUD:siren:, online or instore. You can also use the code "GAMESCENTRAL" to knock 5% off your purchase on their online store.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My condolences to you and yours :ohdear:.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Jesus gently caress, sorry to hear that. Like what others have said, be there for your family...and let them be there for you.

It will take a long time, but eventually it WILL get better.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

gently caress!

Hang in there Brother!

As others have said, keep it together and rely on your loved ones. It will be better, but embrace your sadness and dont fight it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Teleroboxer was so loving cool.

Until the power cord brick slid slightly out of the controller and the whole system died.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Thank you all for the kind words. I'm really thankful that I was only a few hours away from my mother instead of her being back in NY. The drive over to tell her yesterday was hell, she knew something was wrong all morning and kept calling my brother but he couldn't tell her over the phone. As soon as I pulled up she just started crying and I had to hold her up so she didn't fall over. Why yes I come from a family of emotional Italians, why do you ask?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It’s not the optimal resolution for VR, but it works fine despite the jagginess. I played a bunch of games (mostly driving sims) on a Rift DK1 which had a similarly low resolution.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm really thankful that I was only a few hours away from my mother instead of her being back in NY. The drive over to tell her yesterday was hell, she knew something was wrong all morning and kept calling my brother but he couldn't tell her over the phone. As soon as I pulled up she just started crying and I had to hold her up so she didn't fall over. Why yes I come from a family of emotional Italians, why do you ask?

I don't think you need to be an emotional Italian to be either somewhat or totally broken from hearing news like that. My condolences.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I do too, man. I can picture it perfectly.

I'm bad at this sort of thing but uh... my condolances as well. Your chill Switch thread is here for you!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Someone else can likely beat me to posting it (I am looking for the link now), but there was a Discord set up a few months ago for goons to talk through some heavier stuff that came out of the Steam thread. It was nice to pop in from time to time. It's a no judgement zone, so the people there are great to bounce your thoughts off of.

Whether you stop by there or not, take it easy and make your own health a priority.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

nothing wrong with getting emotional! y'all gotta take care of yourselves in whatever way works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't believe those VR Kit toyscons have been in front of us the entire time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Bd3HUMkyU&t=118s

$80 seems incredibly high for this kit, $40 that they've been going for recently seem like the perfect price point. I realize they are selling them with expansions, but hopefully that means there will just be a deep clearance on all this stuff a year from now