Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mr. Nice! posted:

its really good and makes me laugh every time i read it

I forgot about it and now am having a good day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
When do the wheels of justice turn on this case?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So why does Kraft need a second big name ultra high profile attorney to fight a misdemeanor because he just got one. Does that make sense to people who understand the law?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So why does Kraft need a second big name ultra high profile attorney to fight a misdemeanor because he just got one. Does that make sense to people who understand the law?

Option 1: he's got the money to throw huge amounts of lawyer at this and hope the charges are dismissed or whatever. who understand billionaire brains.

Option 2: this could be worse than we know, like he always requests the "young looking ones"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Option 1: he's got the money to throw huge amounts of lawyer at this and hope the charges are dismissed or whatever. who understand billionaire brains.

Option 2: this could be worse than we know, like he always requests the "young looking ones"

We already know that Option 2 isn’t true. In fact he appears to be into journeyman middle aged women.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We already know that Option 2 isn’t true. In fact he appears to be into journeyman middle aged women.

better value, higher skillset

its classic patriot wayTM

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sports radio is guessing that maybe he’s bringing in the most intimidating guns he can to do everything under heaven and earth to make sure that the tape doesn’t get out. Does that make sense?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I thought about the ribmaps.com post earlier today and laughed silently to myself

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
March 27th is arraignment.

Also the tape, if police have it, could potentially be accessed through a public records request with the police department.

And his lawyer’s filings look weird for state court. I don’t know why he didn’t waive arraignment and his notice of appearance has odd wording and formatting. It shows that an out of state attorney is writing it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Like typically you waive arraignment with your notice of appearance and written plea of not guilty. It’s so common that the florida courts e-filing system has NOA/Plea of NG/Waiver of Arraignment as an option when e-filing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also the tape, if police have it, could potentially be accessed through a public records request with the police department.

I hadn't thought about this, this is a Florida Man thing right?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So Kraft will pay for an expensive lawyer, but not an expensive masseuse

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grittybeard posted:

I hadn't thought about this, this is a Florida Man thing right?

Yuuuuuup. Public record motherfuckers.

He also won’t be getting these charges sealed or expunged unless he gets them completely dismissed.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So Kraft will pay for an expensive lawyer, but not an expensive masseuse

In both cases you want someone who can get off a thousand men a year.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Kalli posted:

:vince:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

:holymoley:

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I laughed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sports radio is guessing that maybe he’s bringing in the most intimidating guns he can to do everything under heaven and earth to make sure that the tape doesn’t get out. Does that make sense?

his primary goal here is avoiding embarrassment, and that embarrassment is way more significant to him than the fines/days in jail/etc. also, money isn't a big deal to him. so yeah - avoid the tape, and just bring in way bigger guns than you'd normally see here just to get as non-embarrassing a deal as possible

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

When do the wheels of justice turn on this case?

They stopped turning when they got all sticky and gummed up with something

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
When you step on an ant you use your whole foot and not just your toe.
Kraft? Same reason

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It is a definite fact that really good lawyers with a big support staff and an unlimited budget to work with can make life extremely difficult for opposing counsel. I'm sure the local misdemeanor prosecutors don't see a lot of the kind of carpet-bombing drudgery campaigns these guys can unleash. And it can definitely have a motivating effect on the prosecutors when it comes to negotiating something to just to make it go away. Misdemeanor prosecutors are very accustomed to having cases teed up for them, there's endless low-hanging fruit to go for, and the numbers favor going for it. Like huh let's see I can plead out 50 people to petty theft and small-time possession charges this week, and do three trials to score easy convictions on drunk drivers and domestic abusers, or I can spend my third consecutive week doing nothing but attending endless depositions of every police offer in the city while dealing with a deluge of briefs and motions, all in the hope that some day after a grueling trial I could possibly get this one guy put on misdemeanor probation for six months.

The math is a little different when it's a public figure, because any deal will be scrutinized and the guy has a major incentive to avoid a trial that will turn into a media circus around him, but still.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I don't see how the outcome of his massively over-lawyering misdemeanor charges changes the fact that it's already out there in the world that he is on video. Even if the charges go away, that public knowledge doesn't.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kalli posted:

:sbahj:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I don't see how the outcome of his massively over-lawyering misdemeanor charges changes the fact that it's already out there in the world that he is on video. Even if the charges go away, that public knowledge doesn't.

Well what does he have to lose by giving himself every possible advantage

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Well what does he have to lose by giving himself every possible advantage

It's pretty much a given that a multi-billionaire will never have any sort of legal consequence for something like this. The only consequence he'll ever have is to his public perception

Nov 6, 2002

Only a matter of time till that tape cums out.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did anything happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nothing for a bit. We’ll see more on the 27th.

I should note that Kraft is demanding a non-jury trial.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

"Your Honor, my client pleads a big fat re-election contribution"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's pretty much a given that a multi-billionaire will never have any sort of legal consequence for something like this. The only consequence he'll ever have is to his public perception

His nickname at the owner meetings is going to be Don't just Pat it, Tug it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Proteus Jones posted:

"Your Honor, my client pleads a big fat re-election contribution"

For both the judge and state attorney, i’m sure.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Right now the real punishment is taking place between the DA, presiding judge and Kraft, but it involves secret ritual and nipple play. The show trial comes later

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nah right now no one is talking to the judge. Kraft’s lawyers are certainly talking directly with the elected state attorney not so much the misdemeanor assistant state attorney. They may have a plea agreement in place by arraignment.

If they can’t put him into a deferred prosecution agreement (because of the multiple charges and the nature of the charges) he’s going to get some administrative probation (probation only in name) and have to pay a massive statutory fine (relative to the severity of the charge), and pay out some extra in place of the statutory community service.

He won’t be able to clear this from his record, but I doubt he gives a drat about that.

I don’t see his charges getting dismissed, though. We’ll know soon enough.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Lmao this naive kid doesn't know about the parallel nipple play-based legal system for the rich and powerful

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

sweet thursday posted:

Lmao this naive kid doesn't know about the parallel nipple play-based legal system for the rich and powerful

:ssh: i'm a florida attorney and former criminal defense attorney. I know all about the system. That's why I said they're talking to the elected state attorney for certain and working out a deal. The charges may prevent them from something that would allow them to put it into a deferred program short of reducing both charges to disorderly conduct. Since the spotlight is on, I don't think they'll do that.

As such, his best deal is going to be a big fine and he'll have "probation adjudication withheld" as the final disposition status for the charges. He won't be on actual probation. He'll have to pay a $10,000 fine for the offenses themselves as set by statute, he'll have to pay another $10,000-$20,000 in lieu of the statutory community service, and court costs of around $800 or so.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

"On the first charge, the jury finds the defendant 'gently caress the pats'"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

"On the first charge, the jury finds the defendant 'gently caress the pats'"

Yeah that part makes sense. But it's really obvious that the non-florida attorneys are working this case so who knows how it's going to go. For example, on their notice of appearance, they put it as "Praecipe for Appearance" which from google seems to be a pennsylvania thing more than anything.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It's not all bad for Kraft if he has to make an appearance.

If Robert Kraft has to come down to Florida to make an appearance at this trial, maybe he could stop by his favorite local destination, Orchids of Asia day spa.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Please stop interrupting this glorious Riker avatar back-and-forth thing that's going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AsInHowe posted:

It's not all bad for Kraft if he has to make an appearance.

If Robert Kraft has to come down to Florida to make an appearance at this trial, maybe he could stop by his favorite local destination, Orchids of Asia day spa.

He primarily lives in Florida. That's why he's a return customer at Orchids of Asia.