Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
hahahahah holy poo poo what a dunk

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1103641463634751490

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Holy poo poo

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just close williams they won a lot, they killed a lot. whats the point ?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Williams seriously needs a buyout ala Bernie and Brabham, there’s no leadership in that team right now and it’s a complete mess.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

jesus christ lmao, is this real?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidpoocati posted:

Williams seriously needs a buyout ala Bernie and Brabham, there’s no leadership in that team right now and it’s a complete mess.

Remember when Toto owned like 20% of Williams? How close they came to salvation

E: SELL WILLIAMS TO RON DENNIS

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dennis F1 with everything in a sheen of matte gray.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

wait...it still ain't april 1st....what the gently caress is happening today?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They were going to get the prodigy but the guy died.
You joke but for the past like 7 years the BT Sport coverage of MotoGP has used a loving awful Prodigy song

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Minto Took posted:

Size Zero me up baby :flashfap:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Minto Took posted:

Coordinated buyout with Alonso, Kimoa unveils it's new range of slate grey accountant suits for the summer season.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You joke but for the past like 7 years the BT Sport coverage of MotoGP has used a loving awful Prodigy song

The Prodigy is tied to motorsport because for years you couldn't watch a RealVideo compilation of fatal crashes without "Their Law" or "Breathe" playing in the background

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Williams is funny as hell to me because the Williams name would've always been strong enough to theoretically drag them back to the top so long as they didn't completely embarrass themselves for several consecutive years, which is exactly what they've done. They were too stubbornly independent to accept a closer relationship with Mercedes and it's probably going to kill them in the end.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDG2m5hN1vo

This is the only song that the f1 will ever need.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

DoctorGonzo posted:

+ this combo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiBkydMW8k

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

Quote this until the sun dies

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They were going to get the prodigy but the guy died.

Lol.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Chase Carey Screaming at the Prodigy guy until he died about how his 5 second song was way WAY too long

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I love that Williams is so confident in their car that they're giving Paddy a few months to chill and think of the next big thing. They figure they are months ahead of the competition, they can start developing the car in the summer Brawn GP-style.

poty fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 7, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Big Huski Boi posted:

McLaren is funny as hell to me because the McLaren name would've always been strong enough to theoretically drag them back to the top so long as they didn't completely embarrass themselves for several consecutive years, which is exactly what they've done. They were too stubbornly independent to accept a closer relationship with Mercedes and it's probably going to kill them in the end.

agreed

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Big Huski Boi posted:

Williams is funny as hell to me because the Williams name would've always been strong enough to theoretically drag them back to the top so long as they didn't completely embarrass themselves for several consecutive years, which is exactly what they've done. They were too stubbornly independent to accept a closer relationship with Mercedes and it's probably going to kill them in the end.

it goes further back than that imo

i think the way they treated BMW has gone a long way. they had amazing gig with them and were a frontrunning team, but managed to piss them off so much blaming them for poo poo that they sold all of their stake and bought the whole of sauber in the space of a year. i think two things happened when BMW left: 1) williams results immediately plummeted and it became clear over the next few years that their technical department was the issue and 2) the way they went about it deterred any non-poo poo tier manufacturer from investing in them as anything more than a b-team

their hubris and inflexibility is what shot them in the foot.

MCLRN+'s at a similar point but they still have a chance to turn it around and seem to be doing the right things. but back when they'd parted with mercedes and ron was doing poo poo like having them run sponsorless cars when it was clear it was because no one would pay what he was asking i was starting to get worried they were going to follow the same trajectory

i agree that strengthening ties with mercedes was williams best bet given their position

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 7, 2019

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Say what you want about Williams but as far as we know they are able to make a gearbox fit an engine. The same cannot be said of all teams

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Say what you want about Williams but as far as we know they are able to make a gearbox fit an engine. The same cannot be said of all teams

They don't know how to make a carbon fibre gearbox, though, something all other teams know (e: or know where to buy them, as Williams declined using the Mercedes' gearbox for 2019)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I've harped on this a million times in the past but the similarities between McLaren and Williams begin and end with "used to be better than they are now." The causes for their downfalls are not the same and neither are their solutions. McLaren under Brown has implemented their version of what Williams should have done, which is to acknowledge that they are not a title-winning team and invest in their future, while accepting their current position on the grid and trying to make the best of it. That's the entire intent of dropping Honda for Renault - get away from the pressures of being a works team and driving a very expensive engine development project, and instead just take a known quantity in the Renault engine and focus on getting the McLaren house in order. Like Rho says, it's obvious from the liveries under Ron's last years that he refused to acknowledge how far they had fallen. They sure as poo poo don't have that problem any more.

Williams have obviously been uniquely incompetent this year and last, but their real problem is that they are a small team still trying to operate like a big one, when everyone else around them operates far more efficiently. Haas, Sauber, Toro Rosso, and Racing Point all have similar budgets to Williams, and they all get far more for their money because they're not needlessly building their own gearboxes (among many other things). Force India always used to save a bunch of money by using monocoques for two seasons.

tuo posted:

They don't know how to make a carbon fibre gearbox, though, something all other teams know (e: or know where to buy them, as Williams declined using the Mercedes' gearbox for 2019)

They are spending money on gearbox development that their immediate competitors aren't spending, and in doing so they are knowingly making their car worse. It's loving amazing.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The buck starts and stops with Claire Williams. That one year was a complete fluke where they finished 3rd and after that Claire has had much more time to influence the team and it’s all gone downhill.

Paddy Lowe isn’t an idiot but something clearly went wrong there and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s whatever management style Claire implemented which is completely rotting the team out.

Frank was basically Bernie when it came to team management as in git it done. Claire is anything but.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The one thing I’ll say is that Williams’ downfall is a resounding endorsement of Zak Brown’s job managing McLaren and the power of just being competent. McLaren can probably bounce back to being competitive in 3-5 years. I’d be shocked if Williams is on the grid in 3-5 years the way things are going.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Paddy Lowe is an idiot.

Claire seems to spend her time giving out detentions for being out of uniform over doing anything useful.

Williams will never be good again until they are bought for their name

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Claire did nothing wrong

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Big Huski Boi posted:

They are spending money on gearbox development that their immediate competitors aren't spending, and in doing so they are knowingly making their car worse. It's loving amazing.

My comparission to McLaren was more of a joke, and I agree mostly with your assessment. McLaren+Honda did their fair share of fuckups, but Williams is totally different.

They could simply do a Force India/Haas/Alfa Sauber/Toro Rosso until 2021. Use as many parts as Mercedes/Ferrari/Red Bull and regulations grant them (especially now with the Russel deal), and have a solid base for a car to integrate some of their own ideas (which they might have a bigger budget both in time and money for this way) to fight it out in the midfield. Instead they somehow build one big, overweight tank of a car after another, insist on doing basically everything inhouse but the engine, and watch how they fall behind even more, while funding gets thinner every year.

Oh, and they even lost the art of reading regulations (regulations: front suspension may only consist of six elements, Williams: let's do seven and tell no one; regulations: convex mirrors are not allowed, Williams: let's do convex mirrors)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Paddy Lowe was always vastly overrated in my opinion and yet again I’ve been vindicated

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I remember when people in this thread liked Claire. I'm not sure why as she has always seemed like a spoiled rich kid who would be terrible to work for, in my opinion. She's even kind of admitted this herself in the past in a round about way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

more like paddy slow

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

The buck starts and stops with Claire Williams. That one year was a complete fluke where they finished 3rd and after that Claire has had much more time to influence the team and it’s all gone downhill.

There was an article IIRC on autosport which hinted at key williams engineers trying to leave last year, but were basically forced to stay due to contracts. When I red that, I had to think about Claire's press conference where she stressed how happy she is that nearly no one left Williams over the winter. This plus the rumors of Williams engineers currently refusing overtime plus the stupid rear wing endplate imo leads me at least to believe "where is smoke, there is fire", i.e. Williams might be in absolute shambles internally.

Kubica also sounded loving depressed, something you didn't hear from the racing point drivers who had to drive basically last years car in testing without too many people giving a gently caress.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidpoocati posted:

Paddy Lowe was always vastly overrated in my opinion and yet again I’ve been vindicated

The entire 2005-2012 McLaren era is overrated IMO and that perfectly coincides with Newey leaving and the likes of Paddy and Tim Goss being given more responsibilities. In hindsight the team felt incompetent even while they were winning. Everyone else has forgotten this moment but I never will: Martin Whitmarsh bragging before the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix that McLaren had spent £3m developing a new front wing for the final race, only for Hamilton to be noticeably lacking in front end grip while trying to chase down Vettel's Toro Rosso in the wet.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Big Huski Boi posted:

The entire 2005-2012 McLaren era is overrated IMO and that perfectly coincides with Newey leaving and the likes of Paddy and Tim Goss being given more responsibilities. In hindsight the team felt incompetent even while they were winning. Everyone else has forgotten this moment but I never will: Martin Whitmarsh bragging before the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix that McLaren had spent £3m developing a new front wing for the final race, only for Hamilton to be noticeably lacking in front end grip while trying to chase down Vettel's Toro Rosso in the wet.

i think with the exception of 2007 most of the success of that era was down to lewis making the car look a lot better than it actually was

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Big Huski Boi posted:

Even 98-99 when the car actually was dominant it looked like it was made of glass. McLaren has really been a spent force for as long as Williams has but was just much better at hiding it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

i think with the exception of 2007 most of the success of that era was down to lewis making the car look a lot better than it actually was

Hard agree, and Button as well

Fun fact: Sergio Perez's lone season at McLaren earned him fewer points than any season other than his very first year in F1.

1500quidpoocati posted:

Even 98-99 when the car actually was dominant it looked like it was made of glass. McLaren has really been a spent force for as long as Williams has but was just much better at hiding it.

McLaren has always been a far larger team than Williams and so fared a lot better as budgets inflated. And for a long time McLaren was simply too big to fail because they and Ferrari were on an entirely different level compared to the competition. McLaren's struggles also perfectly coincide with the rise of Red Bull and Mercedes, two teams with similar resources as McLaren and Ferrari but with a willingness to try new things. It's basically the same poo poo McLaren did to everyone else in the 80s. It impacted Ferrari too, but they were better equipped to handle it because they could just repeatedly shitcan their leaders, whereas McLaren had to deal with Ron for years and then completely overhaul the team when he left (and also because Ferrari doesn't have to worry about finding engine partners).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The 90s-early 00s McLaren's had particularly appalling reliability IIRC. Arguably it cost them the '99 WCC.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I didn’t know the chemical brothers were still even a thing

Production output is lower, but they're still very good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC2dRkm8ATU