Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Chessex dice are made by fusing two halves. The result is that the two opposite faces farthest from the seam are more likely to come up than the numbers around the seam. So the company put 1 on one of those faces and 20 on the other. The dice are technically fair in that the mean etc of a bunch of rolls is correct, but the position of the numbers absolutely matters.

You can go "well those aren't properly made" but the point is finding definitely truly random dice is harder than it sounds.

Ok, yes, we dont live in a world where perfect frictionless spheres exist, and the micro-grams of plastic drilled out to allow the numbers does technically affect the outcome of dice rolls.

But, for people that don't care about the 0.000000000001% weight towards the number 20, the position of the numbers doesn't matter.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Mar 8, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth Prime posted:

God rolled a natural 1 for Charisma when he was filling out Bloop's character sheet.

Posting is my dump stat

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Who What Now posted:

Ok, yes, we dont live in a world where perfect frictionless spheres exist, and the micro-grams of plastic drilled out to allow the numbers does technically affect the outcome of dice rolls.

But, for people that don't care about the 0.000000000001% weight towards the number 20, the position of the numbers doesn't matter.

This is not at all the problem

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know if gorillas can work out. A lot of animals can't do strength training because of how their muscles are built.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Spindown dice being aligned high/low along an axis just makes it like flipping a roundish coin for a 10-ish average, which is about what a d20 with inverted polar values is designed to do. It's a fake argument. It doesn't matter either way with a remotely symmetrical dodecahedron unless you Dr. loving Strange your rolls in bullet time to precisely align with nanobots on the table. gaaaaAAAAHHH

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Listen man, if I let you roll your spindown dice i have to let dave roll HIS spindown dice. and nobody trusts dave at all

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Dude, it goes without saying for loving Dave.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Post your dice on floor house rules

If you can't hit the table, you can't hit the target

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Don't roll spindown dice.

Reroll dice that land on the floor. If you can't handle keeping your dice on the table I will roll your dice for you. Same if you can't roll in a contained zone and insist on flinging your dice across the table.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Dice rolling house rules only ever exist for one person, and you should just stop inviting that person to the game.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

dice, no matter how many sides do not equal funny pictures.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

I loved Dino-Riders as a kid but never looked up the backstory until now.

Wikipedia posted:

The Valorians were a peaceful race that lived on Valoria until they were attacked by the Rulons.[2] The Valorians attempted to escape from the Rulons' assault using their "Space Time Energy Projector" (S.T.E.P.); however, something went wrong. They were sent back in time, 65 million years to the age of the dinosaurs.[2] Unknown to them, the Rulons in the spaceship Dreadlock were also sent back through time when the S.T.E.P. was activated.[2]

After successfully landing on prehistoric Earth, the Valorians, led by Questar, used their AMP ("Amplified Mental Projector") necklaces to telepathically communicate with the dinosaurs they encountered and eventually befriended them.[2] On the other hand, the Rulons, led by their leader Emperor Krulos, used brainwashing devices known as brain-boxes to control dinosaurs for their own needs.[2] The Rulons then launched an attack on the Valorians, who called upon their dinosaur friends to assist them in fighting back. After successfully defeating the Rulons, the Valorians declared themselves to be the Dino-Riders.[2]

I love that both sides were brainwashing the Dinosaurs to fight for them but they insisted on branding their respective technologies to make the "good guys" not look like Dino-Slavers.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

D20s are designed so that the opposite sides always add up to 21 - spindown dice are designed the opposite way, so that all the largest numbers are together and you can sequentially rotate from 20 down to 1 one number at a time. Do not use your spindowns to generate random numbers

They work fine if you don't let someone just drop it onto the table. Use a dice cup or suchlike and give it a good shaking and it will be random.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

The mule is me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
funny picture funny pictures funny pictures funny pictures

and also some videos

https://i.imgur.com/Yijyx1J.mp4

sound on

https://i.imgur.com/yb98k0a.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Some truly advanced yoga on display

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1100553254381989889/pu/vid/360x640/T5XgSlOkdKon-Olu.mp4

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Look at this helicopter mom.

:dadjoke:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

Ma'am you're driving an upright piano

How else is she supposed to make her way downtown? Walking fast, perhaps?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

freeedr posted:

You loving dickheads just can’t stop at all, can you. You treat derails like you treat all-you-can-eat buffets. You keep going way beyond what’s healthy, and right on through until everyone around you is disgusted. That is why you are shapeless blobs both physically and mentally. You absolute mockeries of humanity. I hope you don’t do this is any situations that actually matter.

Please understand that everyone important in your lives holds you in the highest contempt

Hey idiot

how about you

die

:dadjoke:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Evilreaver posted:

How else is she supposed to make her way downtown? Walking fast, perhaps?

:golfclap:

Perfect. I had totally forgotten about that video.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Help, my brain broke and I can't remember the artist and title of the song although I know I've heard it at least 50 times.

EDIT: IT'S loving "SANDSTORM" gently caress YOU BRAIN, knew it as soon as I pressed "Submit Reply".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/rubysoleiil/status/1103102637694574592

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Of course JB of all people would raise a weeb.

Looks a lot like him, in any case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4V-n8Ft3g

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Help, my brain broke and I can't remember the artist and title of the song although I know I've heard it at least 50 times.

EDIT: IT'S loving "SANDSTORM" gently caress YOU BRAIN, knew it as soon as I pressed "Submit Reply".

it's also Darude if you cant remember the name of the musician still

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Imagine if this were the standard for fantasy instead of Tolkein forever.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Daft Punk's really changed up their act.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Dice are awesome post D&D pics

Dump of mediocre D&D jokes here: https://imgur.com/gallery/fNFY7l8

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The MSJ posted:

Of course JB of all people would raise a weeb.

Looks a lot like him, in any case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4V-n8Ft3g

And then he would grow up and star in a Jumanji videogame movie.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

I got Guy Goodbody.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/mywifecameback/status/1103883658929221633

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Chessex dice are made by fusing two halves. The result is that the two opposite faces farthest from the seam are more likely to come up than the numbers around the seam. So the company put 1 on one of those faces and 20 on the other. The dice are technically fair in that the mean etc of a bunch of rolls is correct, but the position of the numbers absolutely matters.

You can go "well those aren't properly made" but the point is finding definitely truly random dice is harder than it sounds.

What? No. You've fundamentally misunderstood the manufacturing process. Dice (including Chessex) are injection-molded, and the numbers are part of the mold, they're not drilled in afterward - and they take into account that "1" takes up less lateral space than "20". The mold itself comes in two halves so they can open it and extract the finished die, but nothing even resembling "fusing two halves" of a die ever happens. The position of the numbers is 100% for aesthetics and has nothing to do with the fairness of the dice.

https://i.imgur.com/gNzzK4d.mp4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What accent do trow speak? Bet it's sco ish

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

So long as it's made properly the actual position of the numbers is meaningless.

Yes, if the cheaply-made, mass-produced die has no bias and the person rolling it is throwing it honestly then there is no problem. Guess how often that happens.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dienes posted:

Yes, if the cheaply-made, mass-produced die has no bias and the person rolling it is throwing it honestly then there is no problem. Guess how often that happens.

Don't folks just make it a habit of using the same die for both players? When my buddy brought over his 'loaded' dice we said either we all use those die or nobody does.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DandyLion posted:

Don't folks just make it a habit of using the same die for both players? When my buddy brought over his 'loaded' dice we said either we all use those die or nobody does.

Not really. Most people bring their own sets to use - some people get oddly sentimental ("These are my ~special~ dice I use just for playing this!") or superstitious ("These are my ~lucky~ dice and I need to roll high on this one."). People will bring expensive gemstone, metal, or rare wood dice to show off. I've had people get pissy at card games when you ask them to either use your dice or let you use theirs.

Once played against someone that insisted on using spindown D20s and he would do a painfully obvious positioning of the die in his hand before doing a horizontal toss to keep the 'high' side facing up. Pitched a fit when I said he had to either use a dice tower or a regular D20. Charmer, that dude.

Edit: vvvvv I'll let you know as soon as I encounter one.

Dienes has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dienes posted:

Not really. Most people bring their own sets to use - some people get oddly sentimental ("These are my ~special~ dice I use just for playing this!") or superstitious ("These are my ~lucky~ dice and I need to roll high on this one."). People will bring expensive gemstone, metal, or rare wood dice to show off. I've had people get pissy at card games when you ask them to either use your dice or let you use theirs.

Once played against someone that insisted on using spindown D20s and he would do a painfully obvious positioning of the die in his hand before doing a horizontal toss to keep the 'high' side facing up. Pitched a fit when I said he had to either use a dice tower or a regular D20. Charmer, that dude.

Well sure, but I'm talking about dice users who aren't socially awkward (you know, the real 1%).