Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

So like what did Prometheus contribute to the lore of Aliens? I only saw it once a long time ago.

It contributed by sucking all of the mystery out of the derelict spaceship from Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

So like what did Prometheus contribute to the lore of Aliens? I only saw it once a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCiQkidG64M

He has more videos on prometheus but this one is pretty cool.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It contributed by sucking all of the mystery out of the derelict spaceship from Alien.

Between that and alien covenant they broke the series. Too many questions answered that nobody asked.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

All of the aliens novels by the Perrys are good, but the newer aliens novels suck poo poo and honestly they should probably just stop writing them. I read one that came out semi-recently where like... the aliens formed big balls that rolled around the planet and poo poo. It was bad.

Labryinth would make a dope movie. So would the Earth Hive stuff. But also like some of the weirder ones like Genocide would make great movies honestly

That said, I don’t think any of them are actually canon. Aliens: Colonial Marines is though so wheeeeeeee

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've only seen it maybe twice and I still can't grasp it. They discover the "engineers", the people that apparently created the xenomorphs but they started out as a type of virus. There were huge religious aspects of it and I just don't get how Ridley Scott created this. I really really like that guy.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I actually own a copy of the "Colonial Marines Technical Manual" that was mentioned earlier in the thread, and the future is way dumber than you could possibly imagine lol (I am impressed someone took a moment to think about "Oh gently caress how do they fire it laying down?" for the book though).

Instantly reminded me of this:
http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2012/03/rifle-shooting-positions-back-position.html?m=1

Obviously, old rifles and machine guns aren't the same thing, but at least the smartness of the smart gun would probably keep the stuff below your shins from exploding.

Gonna rewatch Aliens tonight, don't think I watched any of them past it. I'll probably check out 3 and on if this thread keeps going. Oh, I saw Prometheus in theaters, forgot about that. Not seeing much discussion on it in the thread, what'd you Alien-heads make of it?

E: except maybe like right before my post, lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

RossMan4Life posted:

Instantly reminded me of this:
http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2012/03/rifle-shooting-positions-back-position.html?m=1

Obviously, old rifles and machine guns aren't the same thing, but at least the smartness of the smart gun would probably keep the stuff below your shins from exploding.

Gonna rewatch Aliens tonight, don't think I watched any of them past it. I'll probably check out 3 and on if this thread keeps going. Oh, I saw Prometheus in theaters, forgot about that. Not seeing much discussion on it in the thread, what'd you Alien-heads make of it?

E: except maybe like right before my post, lol

If you watch Alien 3 try to get the Director's Cut/Assembly Cut or whatever they call it. I just watched it last night again and it really isn't that bad. Once you get over the initial shock that ruins the entire Aliens movie, then it turns out to be ok.

I probably had to watch Alien 3 about 5 times before I started respecting it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol of course Weyland-Yutani owns literally everything in later aliens stuff cause after all it's the company they mention in Alien and good forbid any of this poo poo have a single original idea

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

prometheus was fine as a stand alone movie but as a prequel for alien it was loving stupid. I don't consider it related. it also doesn't make any sense -- so the evil android engineers the aliens -- and then his engineered aliens somehow get on lv-426? but also in a spaceship of one of the guys from pometheus? (because the aliens didn't take 'modern' form until alien: covenant

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

skasion posted:

That kids accent is whack

She was an army brat who picked up a mutant accent from living all over the world 6-12 months at a time from what I heard.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

look at the space accent expert who knows what the proper hadley's hope accent is for lv-426 natives

(sigourney weaver received a best actress nomination for aliens)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skasion posted:

That kids accent is whack

She's British.

edit: I mean grew up there for a long time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I actually own a copy of the "Colonial Marines Technical Manual" that was mentioned earlier in the thread, and the future is way dumber than you could possibly imagine lol (I am impressed someone took a moment to think about "Oh gently caress how do they fire it laying down?" for the book though).

They're space marines, not open field marines. I assume they use the steadicam rig when they're running around inside buildings

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

They're space marines, not open field marines. I assume they use the steadicam rig when they're running around inside buildings

Why would they not have a fasttrack rig tho? :thunk:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

According to the book, the arm helps them keep the gun stable while running, but also actively points the gun towards their targets for them :shrug:

Also, since I'm posting pictures, enjoy their goofy space camo:

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
That loving ruled. I forgot enough from my last viewing to have gotten the best take on Bishop and pretty much forgot all about Paul Reiser being in it past the beginning.

Something that stood out to me is the size of the aliens in Aliens. I know in Alien (watched sometime in the last year) you don't really get a good look at it for a while and even when you do, it's never lit as brightly as the alien rush in the reactor place or the command/medical center. I guess what I'm saying is I think it was because of them being "better" lit, but the alien in Alien looked like Doug Jones (super skinny alien guy in Star Trek Discovery) was in the suit, whereas they just got regular skinny people for the alien costumes in Aliens. Either that or they only used prop/animatronics for the whole body shots in Alien and just had more in-suit work in Aliens.

Anyone have some insight to the practical effects?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

The thing about the Alien universe movies is that yes, some are better than others, but overall they are the best movies

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

RossMan4Life posted:

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that putting any part of oneself in front of one’s own muzzle seems a little SpaceOSHA.jpg

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RossMan4Life posted:

That loving ruled. I forgot enough from my last viewing to have gotten the best take on Bishop and pretty much forgot all about Paul Reiser being in it past the beginning.

Something that stood out to me is the size of the aliens in Aliens. I know in Alien (watched sometime in the last year) you don't really get a good look at it for a while and even when you do, it's never lit as brightly as the alien rush in the reactor place or the command/medical center. I guess what I'm saying is I think it was because of them being "better" lit, but the alien in Alien looked like Doug Jones (super skinny alien guy in Star Trek Discovery) was in the suit, whereas they just got regular skinny people for the alien costumes in Aliens. Either that or they only used prop/animatronics for the whole body shots in Alien and just had more in-suit work in Aliens.

Alien is all a really tall dude in a suit as far as I know. I’m pretty sure there is no full-body animatronic. There was an animatronic head slathered in KY Jelly (this is true) for close ups.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

skasion posted:

Alien is all a really tall dude in a suit as far as I know. I’m pretty sure there is no full-body animatronic. There was an animatronic head slathered in KY Jelly (this is true) for close ups.

Also the xeno's lips were condoms (no joke)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

RossMan4Life posted:

So, the original alien was Bolaji Badejo, a 7 foot tall dude.

For Aliens, they had a couple 8 foot tall mannequins but they also hired a lot of dancers and acrobats:

”Wikipedia” posted:

The alien suits were made more flexible and durable than the ones used in Alien to expand on the creatures' movements and allow them to crawl and jump. Dancers, gymnasts, and stunt men were hired to portray the aliens. Various 8-foot-tall (2.4 m) mannequins also were created to make aliens that stood in inhuman poses, and could have their bodies exploded to simulate gunshot wounds.

I know they did a lot of puppet work too, although I think most of that was for the queen and facehuggers. But yeah they probably seem a bit smaller because they actually were.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Awesome, makes perfect sense. Yeah, in the first one he's not running and climbing and dropping off ceilings. Thanks!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That's loving awesome god drat I love and miss practical effects

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

RossMan4Life posted:

Awesome, makes perfect sense. Yeah, in the first one he's not running and climbing and dropping off ceilings. Thanks!

This might have been due to budget/technology issues. In the vent when Dallas gets caught you can see an old fashioned "Vampire/mummy/bad guy reaches out arms and cut to next scene." There could have been a lot of reasons for this. I'd guess mostly the cultural times and the tech. They don't show much of the xenomorph in Aliens. But that's perfect. Absolutely perfect. Just like in Jaws (1975) they didn't show the shark until the movie was half over. Although a lot of the killing was done. It's just genius tension building.

Ok I'm going off on a rant....

Code Jockey posted:

That's loving awesome god drat I love and miss practical effects

Jesus christ preach it dude. People can still tell the difference between something that is real and the best CGI money can buy. And it's cheaper too. Practical effects are king.

edit: I might watch Alien: Covenant tonight. Not sure.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 8, 2019

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Practical effects probably aren't cheaper than cgi these days considering the huge time pressures and also now slow loss of talent as they get replaced more with cgi. But good practical effects are undeniably better and also force the movie to be better just by making them think through every second of film and placing limits on their choices

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
Thinking About Allens (the guys)

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

My Two Bads

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:stare: holy poo poo

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Practical effects probably aren't cheaper than cgi these days considering the huge time pressures and also now slow loss of talent as they get replaced more with cgi. But good practical effects are undeniably better and also force the movie to be better just by making them think through every second of film and placing limits on their choices

That's true. I'm used to the old stuff where CGI was a major cost. There's probably an online app that can pull off some poo poo right now.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This might have been due to budget/technology issues. In the vent when Dallas gets caught you can see an old fashioned "Vampire/mummy/bad guy reaches out arms and cut to next scene."

That's loving hilarious you mentioned this, I came here to post just that.

It's maybe the worst looking scene in the movie, all that's missing is a dracula "BLEUH!!"

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's maybe the worst looking scene in the movie, all that's missing is a dracula "BLEUH!!"

Av/post combo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah, I am really aware that it happens when I see it. I'm sure everyone can agree on that. Doesn't take away anything from the movie in the slightest but I think it's more a product of it's time. Mid to late 1970s had a good bit of horror in them. Halloween, Amityville, Carrie, Jaws, etc etc etc. Tons. And the Exorcist which may be my #1 favorite movie of all time, but that is not for this thread. :buddy:

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Do the chest bursters and face huggers have variants like the final form had in AVP? Like would a face hugger just punch through an eye if the host didn't have an orifice out in the open?

More importantly does someone have a good gif of the chest burster from Space Balls?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If you watch Alien 3 try to get the Director's Cut/Assembly Cut or whatever they call it. I just watched it last night again and it really isn't that bad. Once you get over the initial shock that ruins the entire Aliens movie, then it turns out to be ok.

I probably had to watch Alien 3 about 5 times before I started respecting it.

its pretty good all said if you ignore the cgi and the bad story stuff.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

and at the end when the alien is getting blasted by rocket jets it was like "oh a man in a suit." But the swinging from chains scene is the best any alien has ever looked.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched about 15 minutes of Covenant and had to turn it off. Just wasn't feeling it. Most importantly, my Bill Paxton levels were low. I just turned on Predator 2 and I am not disappointed.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

it was kinda retarded climbing into the rocket. def deserved to die.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Aliens was the last movie I saw with an intermission. I was 11 and it was an R13, my mother straight up lied to the ticket guy and he clearly didn’t believe her but she bulldozed him. Also I had been a complete oval office that day and didn’t deserve to go.

Thanks mum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

prometheus was fine as a stand alone movie but as a prequel for alien it was loving stupid. I don't consider it related. it also doesn't make any sense -- so the evil android engineers the aliens -- and then his engineered aliens somehow get on lv-426? but also in a spaceship of one of the guys from pometheus? (because the aliens didn't take 'modern' form until alien: covenant

Prometheus and Covenant are such a mess from the script up with huge inconsistencies throughout.

In the film when the geologist dude gets infected her turns up at the ship as some terrible looking water-brained zombie. But that was a re-shoot because originally he appeared at the ship looking like a human/xenomorph hybrid. It was all complete, effects and all. I can only imagine they changed it because they wanted that stinger at the end where the alien that bursts out of the Engineer had a snapping mandible like a Goblin Shark leaving audiences to go, "Oh so THAT'S the origin of the alien!"

That means its clear to me there wasn't some grand, overarching plot idea like Scott said there was otherwise why would he have filmed that Geologist/Hybrid scene?

I mean we're pissing into the wind trying to make sense of any of this because the ship in the original was ancient and the engineer fossilised, but it's always fun to theorise.