Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

NtotheTC posted:

Oh dear, you're not Claire Williams' brother are you? The one they only let curate that museum because he stood up to Frank once or something?

Serious question: what's changing jobs like in F1? Do you just pass your cv around the other teams? Is it entirely based on who-you-know clandestine phone calls? Are there f1/motorsports specific recruiters out there?

Haha, my surname isn't Williams.

A lot of headhunting goes on based upon recommendations from people who've worked in other teams. Other than that it's mostly based upon candidates applying directly via the careers page, or (rarely but if absolutely necessary) by advertising on one of the motorsport related news sites e.g. Autosport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Have you ever thought about working for a good team, like for instance Scuderia Ferrari. #ForzaFerrari

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rebus posted:

A lot of headhunting goes on based upon recommendations from people who've worked in other teams. Other than that it's mostly based upon candidates applying directly via the careers page, or (rarely but if absolutely necessary) by advertising on one of the motorsport related news sites e.g. Autosport.

Never mind all that boring stuff, how much of a cool and good stud is Are Lance in person :allears:

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

I keep an eye on positions at other teams but right now it's not the right move for me, with family commitments etc.

Lance seemed like an ok guy when I spoke to him at one of the Christmas parties. We kept bumping into each other at the bar and did that awkward head nod thing each time.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rebus posted:

Announce your resignation by tapping it out in Morse code on Frank's head.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Where the actual gently caress do these come from?

You also can find them from other drivers, and it's clear they have been shot in front of a green screen, as there are ones with transparent background. Please tell me they do the Formula E thing this year :)

(I never saw them used anywhere last year, but they are obviously from last year)

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 8, 2019

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Rebus posted:

I keep an eye on positions at other teams but right now it's not the right move for me, with family commitments etc.

Lance seemed like an ok guy when I spoke to him at one of the Christmas parties. We kept bumping into each other at the bar and did that awkward head nod thing each time.

Isn't there a lot of burnout working in F1? Kinda like the games industry where its a lot of peoples dream job, so instead of working for aerospace or we they do stupid hours for less pay?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I don't even know what to say to these....

more stuff:

https://giphy.com/gifs/redbullracing-red-bull-racing-aston-martin-3tKhLQX370LkLt4BwL

tuo fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 8, 2019

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Isn't there a lot of burnout working in F1? Kinda like the games industry where its a lot of peoples dream job, so instead of working for aerospace or we they do stupid hours for less pay?

Burnout is something the guys who go to track suffer from, but factory based roles not so much. Everything needs doing by yesterday and is 'P1' priority so the pressure to deliver becomes a day to day normal thing to have to deal with.

Money is decent and in line with most commercial engineering firms.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

track day bro! posted:

Have you ever thought about working for a good team, like for instance Scuderia Ferrari. #ForzaFerrari

A dream job imo #essereFerrari

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Oh hey that F1 documentary is now out on Netflix. Can't wait to see how bad Williams is.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Opening of first episode of Drive to survive:

Claire Williams: "Every day I break out in cold sweat, thinking, do I have the skillset to do this?"

Do you, Claire? Do you?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fun fact, this is animated

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Fun fact, this is animated

Hey, someone got my bad joke :hfive:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfSM-lv55I

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Do you like last-minute rule changes? Course 'ya do:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141958/f1-set-to-introduce-point-for-fastest-lap

While they're at it why not a point for the Pole lap too?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Doggo-Girl driver of the day

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rebus posted:

Okay enough foreplay let’s get to the real meaty subjects.

What do you do with the old race tires?

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Give them back to Pirelli.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wasteful series IMO

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Why they look perfectly good when they come off, save them and send them to me please.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rebus: I met Lance Stroll and he seemed nice
1500: WOW OK tell me about your old tires

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

MZ posted:

Do you like last-minute rule changes? Course 'ya do:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141958/f1-set-to-introduce-point-for-fastest-lap

While they're at it why not a point for the Pole lap too?

I assume you're being sarcastic but I actually think a point for Pole would make more sense.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Rebus posted:

Give them back to Pirelli.

For what it's worth, this happens in most racing series. Indy, IMSA, etc. They go back to the manufacturer for analysis and then recycling

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Everyone making GBS threads on Williams is unfair imo, hell in the time since McLaren last finished on the podium Williams have managed it 15 times! Who are the real frauds here??

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's us. We're the frauds

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Big Huski Boi posted:

Rebus: I met Lance Stroll and he seemed nice
1500: WOW OK tell me about your old tires

I’m not surprised at all by what he said about lance. I am shocked at the flagrant waste of perfectly good tires especially in light of the fact that I just loving spent $3k on parts before the karting season started and haven’t even gotten tires yet.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Misery loves company

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Q_res posted:

I assume you're being sarcastic but I actually think a point for Pole would make more sense.

At least then Williams would be guaranteed 21 points.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I didn't know you worked for ferrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've raced like 3 seasons on my soft compound tires and the hairs are still on them practically. If you have proper designers such as myself the vehicles don't eat themselves like the sad Iroc-Z Camaros that are F1 cars. Sad.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

All teams are fraudulent except Scuderia Ferrari
All drivers are fraudulent except Max and SHAR LECLURRRRRR

Just saved you all a lot of thinking and posting.

1500quidpoocati posted:

I’m not surprised at all by what he said about lance. I am shocked at the flagrant waste of perfectly good tires especially in light of the fact that I just loving spent $3k on parts before the karting season started and haven’t even gotten tires yet.
Can just drop the last word of this post and be more realistic.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

Can just drop the last word of this post and be more realistic.

I’m actually conceding that I need new tires for racing this year.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Rebus posted:

At least then Williams would be guaranteed 21 points.

:hmmyes:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Q_res posted:

Actually no sarcasm, I've thought for a long time a point for the Pole lap would be a good idea.

...however it might introduce the possibility that the WDC could be won during a Quali session which would be a very weird turn of events.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Carth Dookie posted:

Announce your resignation by tapping it out in Morse code on Frank's head.

this post needs more recognition

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Q_res posted:

I’m not opposed to either, honestly.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Doesn't IndyCar do points for pole and fastest lap? Then I agree with you, friends, F1 should be more like IndyCar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Please no points for pole or fastest lap in at least the last two races. There's nothing worse than going to a race knowing that the championship might be - actually - decided during qualifying or before the checkered flag.