Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Like, the thing that blows my mind is that this is what these assholes get when there's this giant investigation with a bunch of resources and everything is happening in public view. Imagine how absolutely minimal a threat any of this is to other rich assholes who haven't managed to piss off 1/3 of the country but are doing a lot of the same kind of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only time rich people face serious jail time is when they steal from other rich people.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Stupid as gently caress doesn't begin to cover it.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1103988629922299906

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Destroying our forward operation positions to own the libs

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

11th dimensional chess to bring us in line with isolationist policy

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
And those countries are going to tell him to go gently caress himself, the US already has lease agreements on the land that go for decades, and nothing will change except more near irreparable damage to the US worldview.

Edit: It's like me telling my landlord that they have to pay me for the privilege of living in their apartment, because if I didn't then some squatter would move in.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/davidklion/status/1103893516135030784?s=21

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Trump is a tremendous loving moron, everything in his world view is transactional.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

Edit: It's like me telling my landlord that they have to pay me for the privilege of living in their apartment, because if I didn't then some squatter would move in.

The squatter is Russia, in this case.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DoktorLoken posted:

Trump is a tremendous loving moron, everything in his world view is transactional.

He's laughably stupid and my god that is saying something given the state of the GOP the last few decades. Putin must be rock hard now

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

19-24 years.

Can someone who's a lawyer tell me how often a defendent gets a sentence thats only 25% as long as what their lawyer asks for?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
ho ho ho that's what my officemates were talking about a few days ago i guess

i'm gonna laugh myself to tears when el trumpo presents a bill for a quadrillion dollars

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Naramyth posted:

Donny is a Dapper Dan man and doesn't want FOP

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Reign Of Pain posted:

Donny is a Dapper Dan man and doesn't want FOP

:golfclap:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Naramyth posted:

At this point even if Trump is not colluding with Putin, he sure does a good job of acting as if he is

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stravag posted:

Can someone who's a lawyer tell me how often a defendent gets a sentence thats only 25% as long as what their lawyer asks for?

This is probably as far a departure from the guidelines as you're ever going to see. Being rich and white is basically the only time it happens.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I feel like even if they go through with it, the senate would push back. Seems to be the only thing they push back on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/onekade/status/1103683845713354753?s=21

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Stravag posted:

Same judge shrugged and gave a meth dealer 40 years last year...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/judge-laments-40-year-sentence-for-meth-dealer-as-excessive-and-wrong/2018/07/02/f1319b4c-7bd0-11e8-93cc-6d3beccdd7a3_story.html

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The best part is when he says "Wow, I know this is excessive but the law is the law. 40 years!"

What a prick.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is probably as far a departure from the guidelines as you're ever going to see. Being rich and white is basically the only time it happens.

18 years was the guideline?

I thought below guideline sentences could be tossed and the defendant resentenced? Isn't that the "government overreach" that yallqaeda was "protesting" at the bird sanctuary?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1104019339215278080

good

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

In principle it’s really good and could probably extend to a number of other companies. I think saying it about google and Apple may have the wrong reaction from the population despite being true.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

They probably loved that he was working for them but then didn't want to pay comp or any of the legal stuff for a lost-time accident so they called ICE or whoever to grab him. loving disgusting

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

18 years was the guideline?

I thought below guideline sentences could be tossed and the defendant resentenced? Isn't that the "government overreach" that yallqaeda was "protesting" at the bird sanctuary?

Manafort's sentence came in light for a bunch of reasons:

- The sentencing guidelines aren't a mandatory minimum
- Mueller's team actually had no recommendation, just the sentencing guidelines
- Judge Ellis is notorious for coming in light for white-collar crime sentencing
- He badgered the special counsel's office a lot, likely because federal judgeships are the last true dictatorship and he can bloviate about whatever the gently caress, and be wrong, as much as he wants
- Manafort is white
- Similar cases on tax/bank fraud come in light, someone recently got only 6 months for a comparable thing
- The DC case is about the foreign lobbying and poo poo like that, this one was just the tax/bank poo poo

All of the above are contributions, so it's highly unlikely the sentence gets overturned or anything like that.

In the meantime, Chelsea Manning refused to testify against Assange/WikiLeaks. She was given immunity to testify, but still refused. Soooooo:

https://twitter.com/rachelweinerwp/status/1104037430150209536?s=19

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

All these traitors doubling down.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/sparrowmedia/status/1104041263446351874?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Of all the people to go to jail to protect, loving Assange lmao.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

- The DC case is about the foreign lobbying and poo poo like that, this one was just the tax/bank poo poo

Oh. His tax evasion stuff wasn't that bad compared to the literal treason stuff.

quote:

In the meantime, Chelsea Manning refused to testify against Assange/WikiLeaks. She was given immunity to testify, but still refused. Soooooo:

https://twitter.com/rachelweinerwp/status/1104037430150209536?s=19

Is whatever this is about public?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yesssssss

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WAForeskins/status/1103511805597491200

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

From a White House source, the House Oversight Committee has obtained documents related to Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump's security clearances that the Trump administration refused to provide, according to a senior Democratic aide involved in handling the documents.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

:drat:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh. His tax evasion stuff wasn't that bad compared to the literal treason stuff.

Is whatever this is about public?

It's a grand jury related to wikileaks. That's only known because Manning tweeted about it. She was given full immunity to testify and has refused hence the contempt order.

This is the hypothetical situation where a witness has full immunity and refuses to testify come to life.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
White collar crime not only is more destructive than any other crime, it pays very, very well.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
US criminal justice seems to care a lot more about how much physical labor went into financial crimes than actual damage done. Walked your rear end to a store, broke a window, picked up a laptop, and ran away. Big Crime. Clicked some buttons and had a shady lawyer transfer millions: Little Crime.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

She oughta do time for that unibrow

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FAS is a helluva drug.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

US criminal justice seems to care a lot more about how much physical labor went into financial crimes than actual damage done. Walked your rear end to a store, broke a window, picked up a laptop, and ran away. Big Crime. Clicked some buttons and had a shady lawyer transfer millions: Little Crime.

Gotta protect your polo teammates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Judge was a Reagan appointee. Ol' Ronnie Moron still wrecking the country from beyond the grave.