Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

The fact that there was so much padding that there had to be a campaign to tell people to leave the Hinterlands so they could get to the good quests should have been an enormous wake up call to Bioware (and to me). Like, how hosed is it to hide all your good content amongst a pile of boring fetch quests and have so much of it that people might accidentally spend 30 hours or whatever in the starting area and come to think of that tediousness as the game? Creating a second mini game of working out what side quests were likely to be 'fetch me six flower' and which would open up whole new branches of story or character arc.

What the hell is Bioware trying to achieve here anyway?

Are they envy of Skyrim selling one billion copies for everything, from paperweights to supercomputers?, thats so misguided. Skyrim follow the footsteps of the Ultima dude (Lord British) of hiding spoons in a random rock in the forest, because somebody somewhere in the world is going to move that rock (and not any other rock in the forest) and find the spoon. Elders Scrolls / Ultima games are that kind of games, where the map had a lot of developer love. Is Bioware trying to artificially create that type of lasting appeal without paying the price of actually coming and giving love to every corner of the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Wasn’t eventual explanation about the Reapers was originally that they were originally supercomputers created to solve the problem of dark energy destroying the universe and the cycle they were in was their last chance? I always thought that was more keeping with the theme of Mass Effect instead of the whole synthetics vs organics thing they tried to push.

The original pitch I recall was that the titular mass effect seemingly violated the second law of thermodynamics, and it was something no one had an explanation for in-universe. In reality, it was consistent with the second law: it simply increased entropy elsewhere, causing stars to age far more rapidly as their entropy increased to balance out the seeming decrease caused by the mass effect, which, if left unchecked, would lead to the heat death of the universe happening trillions of years earlier than it should. Under the assumption that the discovery of the mass effect was inevitable amongst intelligent species, the Reapers were created as a compromise: they'd allow civilizations to flourish and reach an apex along predictable lines (presumably so they don't gently caress around with primitive mass effect drives and cause even more rapid degradation) and then cull them to preserve each species as a "living," eternal memorial.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

ShowTime posted:

Before I submit some kind of bug report, does anyone know why I can't do Tyrant Mine anymore? It's been locked for 3 days now and shows up under completed quests. Maybe i'm just confused about how Strongholds work, but they usually unlock for me a couple hours after i've done one. Tyrant Mine has been locked for days. I've even done the other strongholds since and they have unlocked.

The reason I think it might be bugged: 3 days ago, when I did it, I was put into a group that just completed it, so I basically got credit for doing it but was already in the 10 second countdown screen.

Edit: Nvm, guess it's a known bug: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Tyrant-Mine-Stronghold-Missing-From-Map/td-p/7598328/highlight/true/page/31

Edit 2: I guess the fix is to get invited to do the stronghold, which removes the lockout. Anyone on Xbox One able to help me out?

Lmao

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

5er posted:

Hahah that loving "bishie tsundere elf" guy. That game was such an uncreative pander-fest.

loving that elf as a mage was the only good part of that game

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Yea. The lovely part is just the lack of information about how anything in this game works just made me assume that was normal and something I was doing. Nope, a bug.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

The original pitch I recall was that the titular mass effect seemingly violated the second law of thermodynamics, and it was something no one had an explanation for in-universe. In reality, it was consistent with the second law: it simply increased entropy elsewhere, causing stars to age far more rapidly as their entropy increased to balance out the seeming decrease caused by the mass effect, which, if left unchecked, would lead to the heat death of the universe happening trillions of years earlier than it should. Under the assumption that the discovery of the mass effect was inevitable amongst intelligent species, the Reapers were created as a compromise: they'd allow civilizations to flourish and reach an apex along predictable lines (presumably so they don't gently caress around with primitive mass effect drives and cause even more rapid degradation) and then cull them to preserve each species as a "living," eternal memorial.

God drat that is a much, much better plot than what we ended up with

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Harrow posted:

It owns when morons argue that what we got was better because

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

You guys should read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds if you like decent sci-fi.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

three choices ... so beautiful ... every theme coalesces into an intricate and delicate whole ... should have sent a poet

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I know this one!.

Is because if you make a pesimist story, is not going to work on the U.S.America.

Popular:

- Hero fight against absolute evil.
- Hero is fighting for survival, so *everything* is okay. Torture, killing innocents.
- Hero wins. Evil lose. Hero gets the girl. The girl gets the hero.

Unpopular:

- Hero fight against enemy with complicated motives.
- Hero fight for their own interest. Not the interest of the whole world (universe).
- Hero lose. Girl marry with his bully from high school.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Tei posted:

- Hero lose. Girl marry with his bully from high school.

Listen buddy, I've been on the internet and in my experience americans are super into this.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Hra Mormo posted:

Listen buddy, I've been on the internet and in my experience americans are super into this.

Cuck isn't a meme for nothing.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Actually what owns is that nobody bothers reading the interview where the unused story ideas were brought up, where Drew Karpyshyn is the one who says that

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Harrow posted:

That's ultimately still just the backstory though, no guarantee that if they went with that as the reason for the reaper's reaping the endings would have been different, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fun fact, originally Harbinger was to be voiced by H Jon Benjamin

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Seemlar posted:

Actually what owns is that nobody bothers reading the interview where the unused story ideas were brought up, where Drew Karpyshyn is the one who says that

Would you happen to have a link?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

precision posted:

Fun fact, originally Harbinger was to be voiced by H Jon Benjamin

Shepard. Shepard! SHEPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Avalerion posted:

That's ultimately still just the backstory though, no guarantee that if they went with that as the reason for the reaper's reaping the endings would have been different, too.

in retrospect it is bizarre that a studio owned by EA would write Mass Effect 3's endings because they made further games in that universe extremely difficult

you'd think they'd go with generic "u win congrats" endings plus yet another sequel hook in order to monetize it forever

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Or the very least "Follow the adventures of another crew in the Mass Effect Universe....in our new games as a service experience!"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I mean there's N7 Vinyls in this game so they could just end up being some backwoods planet that gets brought back into mass effect land

use the anthem to make a shepard

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Pattonesque posted:

I got in an argument with a dude defending that quest because, well, since life is boring, what does it matter if some quests are boring? To which I replied, pretty much every quest in a story-driven RPG should be there to either advance the plot, expand upon the universe, or develop characters. If it doesn't, what are we even missing by leaving it out?

I agree! But remember, they but Mac Walters in charge of the game and he hates the universe so much he basically killed it with ME3. He clearly cares about very little except his 'big idea.' The lack of depth to things like the codex and planets in ME:A was just stunning, a pretty clear statement about how little they actually cared about any of it. Walters killed Mass Effect with ME3 and then Andromeda was him pissing on the grave.

And I'm fine with it. If that's how they're going to treat the property, let it loving die. Plenty of good games and fictional universes out there.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ashpanash posted:

I agree! But remember, they but Mac Walters in charge of the game and he hates the universe so much he basically killed it with ME3. He clearly cares about very little except his 'big idea.' The lack of depth to things like the codex and planets in ME:A was just stunning, a pretty clear statement about how little they actually cared about any of it. Walters killed Mass Effect with ME3 and then Andromeda was him pissing on the grave.

And I'm fine with it. If that's how they're going to treat the property, let it loving die. Plenty of good games and fictional universes out there.

The planet descriptions in the OT compared to Andromeda were where I got really weirded out

because you have so many cool story hooks or little bits of lore in the OT descriptions (the one planet with the coffins in a gas giant! the one with "beings of light!" Klendagon, which bore the scar of a gigantic mass accelerator!) and *literally nothing* in Andromeda beyond "oh this one's a bit cold"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Theres a big hole in my life where Mass Effect 4 should be.

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 8, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if originally they were gonna call it Mass Effect 4ndromeda

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
The only good thing about DA2 was Sarcastic Hawke. Everything else was poo poo. That game's best quality was to be a troll.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

precision posted:

I wonder if originally they were gonna call it Mass Effect 4ndromeda

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

moist turtleneck posted:

I mean there's N7 Vinyls in this game so they could just end up being some backwoods planet that gets brought back into mass effect land

use the anthem to make a shepard

The real question is whether you can copy femshep's magnificent hair

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Seemlar posted:

Ah yes, the company man is going to say in an interview that product was bad and worse

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

E. Wrong thread

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Ah yes, the company man is going to say in an interview that product was bad and worse

You can't expect the average nerd to understand a representative of a company is liable for any damage they may cause that company, intentional or not.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Hra Mormo posted:

You can't expect the average nerd to understand a representative of a company is liable for any damage they may cause that company, intentional or not.

Not to mention the comments towards Ben in the Twitch stream. That was both disgusting and immature. I shouldn't be surprised, and I'm sure it wasn't any of the Redditers here.

I had to turn off comments just so I could attempt to get some information out of the stream. Pity about the technical difficulties.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
um.. the story is not lame, its actually really good. and also that was not a question

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hra Mormo posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Bioware games.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

ShowTime posted:

Before I submit some kind of bug report, does anyone know why I can't do Tyrant Mine anymore? It's been locked for 3 days now and shows up under completed quests. Maybe i'm just confused about how Strongholds work, but they usually unlock for me a couple hours after i've done one. Tyrant Mine has been locked for days. I've even done the other strongholds since and they have unlocked.

The reason I think it might be bugged: 3 days ago, when I did it, I was put into a group that just completed it, so I basically got credit for doing it but was already in the 10 second countdown screen.

Edit: Nvm, guess it's a known bug: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Tyrant-Mine-Stronghold-Missing-From-Map/td-p/7598328/highlight/true/page/31

Edit 2: I guess the fix is to get invited to do the stronghold, which removes the lockout. Anyone on Xbox One able to help me out?

Hey man, sorry I just saw this post and I can help you out!

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/troubleshooting/free-up-hard-drive-space

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I just wish it was hotkey style combat. I've always hated that

Not sure if you typo'd there, but this touches on fairly major point regarding games which are or are blended with RPGs.

From Everquest onward, and probably there are examples from before, hotkey combat has been used as a workable abstraction of combat in a manner which is much easier to construct and deal with from a mechanical and technical standpoint. In a faster paced shooter or melee action game a slow tick rate, or the rate at which the game updates all combat variables, just doesn't work out. Everquest combat ticks were six seconds, in a game like CSGO a tick rate of around 60Hz is a minimum threshold before delays start becoming noticable.

So MMOs developed with hotkey combat because it kept things manageable for developers while also making combat extremely accessible; even in WoW you don't need to be good at video games in general to succeed, so long as you can understand a small sequence of keys to press and pay attention to poo poo on the ground.

Over time, it turns out a lot of people like that poo poo, being able to mash buttons to make numbers appear and be told they're doing a good job, even if there's little direct engagement or room for skill development.

This desire for hotkey style combat is one of the major reasons for people hating Destiny 2, as it is at its core a shooter with some RPG stapled on. These people have no idea what they're talking about when they say the combat is bad, but they aren't wrong to not enjoy it if the game didn't match their expectations.

Where Anthem fails here is in not knowing what it wants to be. You can play it as a shooter, but the shooting and gun related mechanics are weak with generally poor feedback. Alternatively, and this is what makes a lot of like Anthem's combat, it is also a hotkey combat RPG; until you reach masterwork weapons and their massive scaling advantage over skills, most of the javelins are generally played by mashing hotkeys. Storm mashes E and Q, Colossus alternates between mashing and holding E and Q, and Interceptor mashes E and Q while also mashing the dodge button since their abilities are mostly melee range. Ultimately the interaction with the skills system, combos included, is extremely unengaging. Pres butan, get number. Going back to WoW, it uses hotkeys but you often have to use them with specific timings or in certain orders; it's not as engaging as real time combat, but it's something. Anthem can't even manage that.

There are things Anthem tries to do well that have legitimate appeal to people, but it does it all so poorly that in the end every system feels half baked at best.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Should be noted that anthem is missing a key pacing component for hotkey gameplay, the global cooldown. Sure you have hotkeys, but they aren't nearly as restrictive as in other cases because you can chain instants.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Wheeee posted:

Not sure if you typo'd there, but this touches on fairly major point regarding games which are or are blended with RPGs.

From Everquest onward, and probably there are examples from before, hotkey combat has been used as a workable abstraction of combat in a manner which is much easier to construct and deal with from a mechanical and technical standpoint. In a faster paced shooter or melee action game a slow tick rate, or the rate at which the game updates all combat variables, just doesn't work out. Everquest combat ticks were six seconds, in a game like CSGO a tick rate of around 60Hz is a minimum threshold before delays start becoming noticable.

So MMOs developed with hotkey combat because it kept things manageable for developers while also making combat extremely accessible; even in WoW you don't need to be good at video games in general to succeed, so long as you can understand a small sequence of keys to press and pay attention to poo poo on the ground.

Over time, it turns out a lot of people like that poo poo, being able to mash buttons to make numbers appear and be told they're doing a good job, even if there's little direct engagement or room for skill development.

This desire for hotkey style combat is one of the major reasons for people hating Destiny 2, as it is at its core a shooter with some RPG stapled on. These people have no idea what they're talking about when they say the combat is bad, but they aren't wrong to not enjoy it if the game didn't match their expectations.

Where Anthem fails here is in not knowing what it wants to be. You can play it as a shooter, but the shooting and gun related mechanics are weak with generally poor feedback. Alternatively, and this is what makes a lot of like Anthem's combat, it is also a hotkey combat RPG; until you reach masterwork weapons and their massive scaling advantage over skills, most of the javelins are generally played by mashing hotkeys. Storm mashes E and Q, Colossus alternates between mashing and holding E and Q, and Interceptor mashes E and Q while also mashing the dodge button since their abilities are mostly melee range. Ultimately the interaction with the skills system, combos included, is extremely unengaging. Pres butan, get number. Going back to WoW, it uses hotkeys but you often have to use them with specific timings or in certain orders; it's not as engaging as real time combat, but it's something. Anthem can't even manage that.

There are things Anthem tries to do well that have legitimate appeal to people, but it does it all so poorly that in the end every system feels half baked at best.

I totally fat fingered and meant to say that I hate hotbar style combat where you jam the number 1 - 9 keys.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Mass Effect has iterated on the combination of shooty + hotkey which eventually gave us Anthem. It's not entirely perfect yet, but some improvements to the gunplay would probably do the trick.

Note that I think the gunplay in Anthem is perfectly fine and I honestly can't tell the difference between good gunplay (such as in Destiny) and average gunplay (such as in Anthem) in games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Really the only ability I dislike is the charge up ones, and that is because it feels like they should be primers for huge amounts of elemental charge rather than detonators. To me dets should be something you can quickly toss, since I dont think combo damage scales with det damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
they gave the ranger a cooldown on melee which is insane and worse than any global cooldown could be