Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dev286 posted:

Thanks for sharing that abomination. Jesus Christ who thought that was a good idea?
Well the 80s ended and the 00s hadn't started yet and we needed something to fill in the gap.

Oh you mean the ad specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can someone work the Pepsi commercial into the lore so it's canon?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Julius CSAR posted:

The YF-23 couldn't even fire it's weapons when the fly off came up, for example.

I don't want to get into this but you're thinking of the F-35. We had that chosen already and developed it for years and dumped 1.5 trillion dollars into it. And the gun still wouldn't work due to software issues. :capitalism:

dev286 posted:

I was looking at how the did the loader scenes and I assumed they used actual hydraulics or whatever but NOPE. It was made out of plastic pipe and stuff and there was a dude inside the suit behind Sigourney who just kinda moved along with her like a kid dancing on a parent's feet. Combined with some overhead wires for some scenes it was basically just a giant marionette. Which is crazy because my suspension of disbelief just made me go "yeah this thing exists and they built it for the movie"

I think a lot of the SFX in Aliens are like that but Cameron was so good and had such an amazing team everything was pretty seamless.

Fun fact! For a while, I guess more than one time, they had a balloon where the dude's dick would be when he was behind Sigourney Weaver. They would inflate the balloon to make her think he had a boner. I think she didn't say anything for a while until they finally gave in and told her. She thought it was funny.

Julius CSAR posted:

This old show from the 90's is seriously good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq6YMYCsWpQ

I LOVED THIS SHOW!!!!! I think I may have even mentioned it in passing earlier in the thread. I remember watching how they made the aliens swim in Resurrection.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't want to get into this but you're thinking of the F-35. We had that chosen already and developed it for years and dumped 1.5 trillion dollars into it. And the gun still wouldn't work due to software issues. :capitalism:

Sorry dude, you replied to me about combat aircraft, you got into it.

Did you know we developed the M61 Vulcan starting in 1946 but it wasn't ready till like 1959-60 because it did things like break the ammo links causing a stovepipe jam that nearly brought down an F-104? The F-35 (whose gun for sure works now) has excellent high-AOA nose pointability, an extremely low RCS, and sensor fusion out the wazoo and yes, all of that works. Otherwise the aircraft would not have met Initial Operating Capability. High end aircraft development is lengthy, pricey, and very dangerous. Always has been, always will be. Many issues the F-35 experienced have been experienced before (or parallel other issues, like the gun thing) on basically every single aircraft program since WW2. There has been only one Airframe Loss Incident with the Lightning so far, and an engine fire, with the pilots OK. By this point in the F-16's career so many of them were crashing at Luke AFB that they were seriously nicknamed "Lawn Darts" by the pilots. Adjusted for inflation the F-14 is probably still the single most expensive fighter aircraft ever, and the program was only saved from extinction by Iran. All of this has happened before and will happen again with other jets because this is just how it works. The ONLY modern jet procurement program that came out on time and on budget (actually earlier and cheaper) was the F-15 and that's because the F-15 Special Projects Office utilized USAF politics to procure the aircraft like a "black" program such as the SR-71. Also, a lot of people don't realize that the 1.5 trillion earmarked for the F-35 is for the total life of the aircraft including RnD, procurement, upgrades, maintenance, and even projected fuel and ammo expenditures out to the year 2070 with costs adjusted for projected 2070 inflation "US$1.508 trillion (through 2070 in then-year dollars)". Like I'm sorry, but the jet is mad good. In the last few years many countries have dropped procurement contracts for Gripens, Typhoons, Rafales and other 4+/5 gen fighters for F-35s. People who think like this don't really know anything about what they're talking about. Tyler Rogaway at "The Drive" is garbage and so was "Foxtrot Alpha", "War Is Boring" is also quite usually full of poo poo.

If you want a good discussion on the F-35 (seriously here, I think you should read this) check out these threads on F-16.net where there are actual F-35 program guys, pilots, and maintainers who work with these jets EVERY SINGLE DAY and know much more about it than any rear end in a top hat on a blog.

Why is the F-35 Replacing the A-10?
and
The Trouble With Basement Dwellers

second thread has a dumb clickbaity title but is very good.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 9, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dev286 posted:

Thanks for sharing that abomination. Jesus Christ who thought that was a good idea?

According to Wikipedia, Pepsi was "created and developed in 1893 by Caleb Bradham and introduced as Brad's Drink, it was renamed as Pepsi-Cola on August 28, 1898,[1] and then as Pepsi in 1961." So if you've got a time machine handy, feel free to go back and kill him before he invents the undrinkable crap.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I believe you know your poo poo but I said 2 things. The program cost 1.5 trillion dollars, which you addressed, and the gun didn't work, which you did not.

F-35 Problems: Late IOTE, F-35A Gun Inaccurate, F-35B Tires, Threat Data, Cyber…

New U.S. Stealth Jet Can’t Fire Its Gun Until 2019

Bad data in F-35 logistics system resulting in lost missions

F-35 stealth jet 'will not be able to fire its guns until 2019

F-35: Still No Finish Line in Sight

Military.com A Tale of Two Gatling Guns: F-35 vs. A-10

I'm just talking about the gun man. I didn't know that the 1.5 trillion was for the length of the program, but the gun didn't work during development for years. I'm not saying it's a bad jet, I'm not saying anything like that. Just that you pointed out that the YF-23 couldn't fire it's gun, whereas the F-35 couldn't even after we gave it the green light.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lmao at the “leave the F35 alone” meltdown.

Anyway I rewatched Alien 3 today and I can’t help but feel it would have done a lot better if it had come out a couple years later. It came out in 92 but it really has that “everything is dogshit, gently caress you” vibe from the mid 90s. I think “ahead of its time” is too strong a phrase but definitely I think it would have fared better if it came out a couple years later.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah the derail was my fault though. Shouldn't have said anything.

I agree that Alien 3 might have been a little better if it came out a few years later. The technology might have been a little better even though a lot of 90s CGI was just terrible. A lot of 201Xs CGI is terrible. They probably just didn't have good prop people or were too excited after Jurassic Park pulled off poo poo that looks perfect even today.

Maybe a little too early for it's time, but the obvious issues like the Newt and Hicks thing just really killed it off for anyone right off the bat. And a LOT of people can't look past it. It took me quite a while to get over it. I said before it maybe took me 5 times of watching it and then seeing the DC before I really started to respect it.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

ClothHat posted:

Look at that dirty rear end loader covered in grease stains and chipped paint. Every time I watch this I have to obsess over the prop design.

The only thing I don't get is the placement of the blowtorch. It's too short to torch anything the claws are holding unless theres a giant bug trying to stick its face inside the cage. And the only reason I can think to have it mounted in the first place is so you can cut farther away from you, which it's also too close for. Not to mention it looks like it has extremely limited maneuverability. It might as well be handheld.

I still love the loader though.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I believe you know your poo poo but I said 2 things. The program cost 1.5 trillion dollars, which you addressed, and the gun didn't work, which you did not.

New U.S. Stealth Jet Can’t Fire Its Gun Until 2019

F-35 stealth jet 'will not be able to fire its guns until 2019

I'm just talking about the gun man. I didn't know that the 1.5 trillion was for the length of the program, but the gun didn't work during development for years. I'm not saying it's a bad jet, I'm not saying anything like that. Just that you pointed out that the YF-23 couldn't fire it's gun, whereas the F-35 couldn't even after we gave it the green light.

The YF-23 did not fire it's gun during testing, because it was not even installed on the aircraft. The main issue with the gun is that on the USN and USMC versions it's a pod attached to the jet and not internal, and there's ALWAYS pod integration issues. I saw plenty of those issues when they put the SNIPERX Pod on the B-1s, and that's with a jet and pod that had been use for quite some time.

Beet Wagon posted:

Lmao at the “leave the F35 alone” meltdown.

It's not really a meltdown, but there's been a whole lot of misinformation about the aircraft throughout it's whole development cycle and it's frustrating to see bullshit repeated ad-infinitum.

Basically the rule thumb is if your criticism of a new Fighter Jet(tm) is "it's expensive" and "nothing really worked with the pre-production and early production models" well.... you just described every fighter program ever. That's all I wanted to say, I'll shut up now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beautiful end to a derail. I commend you. Normally this poo poo goes off the rails.

edit: need to post aliens something

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I agree that Alien 3 might have been a little better if it came out a few years later. The technology might have been a little better even though a lot of 90s CGI was just terrible. A lot of 201Xs CGI is terrible. They probably just didn't have good prop people or were too excited after Jurassic Park pulled off poo poo that looks perfect even today.

Maybe a little too early for it's time, but the obvious issues like the Newt and Hicks thing just really killed it off for anyone right off the bat. And a LOT of people can't look past it. It took me quite a while to get over it. I said before it maybe took me 5 times of watching it and then seeing the DC before I really started to respect it.

e: honoring the end of the derail

I think the Hicks and Newt dying thing would have come off a lot better during the peak nihilism of the later 90s. As an Aliens fan I don’t like it but tbh I also feel like their story had to either end or go into the full Earth Hive thing, and having them die fit the times a bit better in my opinion. Like, nobody in this universe gets a happy ending, and even though they did it in a lovely way, I’m not sure how else they should have. Look at Aliens: Colonial Marines for what not to do with Hicks, for example. Or poo poo, how many fans are begging them to let Ripley be dead and tell a new story?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Beautiful end to a derail. I commend you. Normally this poo poo goes off the rails.

edit: need to post aliens something

I (usually) know when to shut up.

The thing it seems special FX people never learned about Jurassic Park was that it was the fusion of CGI and puppetry/animitronics that made it look so good. That being said, it's crazy how good the first full length shot of the all CGI T-Rex in JP holds up even like, twenty years later. When I saw it in 3D a couple years back with that shot they did it so like, the legs were basically straddling the threshold of the screen, with the head out over the audience and the back half/tail going further back into the screen. It was in IMAX and it just looked so goddamn huge. And speaking of Cameron, I saw Titanic in IMAX 3D and it had a profound effect on how huge the boat looked.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking (kinda) of visuals, I was thinkin' today about aesthetics and technology in movies and their sequels, specifically sci-fi movies.

One of the things that stood out to me in Blade Runner 2049 is how they kept the same "style" to the technology as the original film. No attempt was made to retcon what 2018 people think 2049 tech will look like, they kept on the same trajectory as the original. CRT screens, clunky/awkward looking hardware, whatever. I loved this poo poo, I went kind of nuts for it and my wife probably thought it was being dumb, but I love that kind of internal consistency and real dedication to detail and to the universe that's being extended.

I feel the same way about Isolation, with its CRT screens, low-res text interfaces, etc. I can't imagine how much more work went into building that aesthetic for the ships' systems' UI than if they'd just made clean, "modern" digital interfaces without the interference or other signature stuff from the movies. I love that they went as far as to extend it into the game UI itself, even. The second the super low-res 20th Century Fox logo came up the first time, I just grinned. Same with the loading screens with the "looks like a recording of an 80s CRT TV" imagery. It just all fits so loving well and really does a lot to make me think "I am experiencing a story in the Alien universe".

I also suck tremendously at this game and I'm turning the difficulty down. I am too conditioned to play first person games with a "kill everything that wants me dead" attitude, and it suuuure isn't working now! still stuck where I was. After trying a few times to distract the people and move around them, and getting shot by stragglers who didn't take the bait, I looked up a spoiler-less guide to dealing with the lobby. It said to move upstairs immediately after getting the Access Tuner and go counter-clockwise around the upper area until they wander off... which kind of worked, except one hung back. I thought, okay cool, I have a wrench / hammer, he has a soft skull, no biggie. I whacked him when he came around a corner, and his buddies immediately went into high alert and ventilated me, lmao. It also didn't let me pick up his pistol, which was laying right next to his body, which I thought was dumb, kinda. Even if it's not a run and gun shooter, having a gun would be kinda advantageous I think. A "hold up" mechanic or "scare people off" mechanic would be neat, or just firing it off to attract the resident people eater to do my dirty work

I like that this game is really definitely not an FPS game. I also like how I can restart missions!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Code Jockey posted:

Speaking (kinda) of visuals, I was thinkin' today about aesthetics and technology in movies and their sequels, specifically sci-fi movies.

One of the things that stood out to me in Blade Runner 2049 is how they kept the same "style" to the technology as the original film. No attempt was made to retcon what 2018 people think 2049 tech will look like, they kept on the same trajectory as the original. CRT screens, clunky/awkward looking hardware, whatever. I loved this poo poo, I went kind of nuts for it and my wife probably thought it was being dumb, but I love that kind of internal consistency and real dedication to detail and to the universe that's being extended.

I feel the same way about Isolation, with its CRT screens, low-res text interfaces, etc. I can't imagine how much more work went into building that aesthetic for the ships' systems' UI than if they'd just made clean, "modern" digital interfaces without the interference or other signature stuff from the movies. I love that they went as far as to extend it into the game UI itself, even. The second the super low-res 20th Century Fox logo came up the first time, I just grinned. Same with the loading screens with the "looks like a recording of an 80s CRT TV" imagery. It just all fits so loving well and really does a lot to make me think "I am experiencing a story in the Alien universe".

This was a huge thing that bothered me with Prometheus and Covenant. Visually, it looks like they have more advanced technology that in all of the other movies. I mean, come on we're on a timeline here. It would have made it much more gritty and less clean if they used CRT and other older poo poo. Make the movie what it is. A prequel. Back in time. Before the other movies were made with their advanced technology. Ugh.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Has anyone posted the insane William Gibson Alien 3 script yet set in an MC Escher space monastery

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
There’s a film critic Scout Tafoya who makes a series of video essays “The Unloved”. The notion is that some critical and box office bombs may be better than originally thought. His first one is on Alien 3 and I’ve been following him ever since.

https://vimeo.com/76672771

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Code Jockey posted:

Isolation stuff

This isn’t much of a spoiler but for what it’s worth you’re literally about to pick up a pistol you will end up never using cause using it is way worse than not using it

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Has anyone posted the insane William Gibson Alien 3 script yet set in an MC Escher space monastery

That poo poo is indeed insane as all hell. I've only heard breakdowns though, I've never actually gotten to read it. If you like wild unmade movie scripts, read Nick Cave's script for "Gladiator 2" that follows Maximus in the afterlife during the death of the roman gods and the birth of christianity... it is truly loving bonkers.

Code Jockey posted:

:words: about Isolation visuals

They actually hired the guy who did all the industrial design work on the original film to do the same for Isolation with a very specific order to keep the tech looking similar. If you're having trouble following the waypoint marker on the motion tracker, just look up and read all the signs around you, they are actually designed to be followed.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 9, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Julius CSAR posted:

If you like wild unmade movie scripts, read Nick Cave's script for "Gladiator 2" that follows Maximus in the afterlife during the death of the roman gods and the birth of christianity... it is truly loving bonkers.

:stare:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Beet Wagon posted:

This isn’t much of a spoiler but for what it’s worth you’re literally about to pick up a pistol you will end up never using cause using it is way worse than not using it

Ha, good to know. Yeah, as soon as I got mad that I couldn't do it, I was like "but, yeah, maybe I don't really want to..."

This was a huge thing that bothered me with Prometheus and Covenant. Visually, it looks like they have more advanced technology that in all of the other movies. I mean, come on we're on a timeline here. It would have made it much more gritty and less clean if they used CRT and other older poo poo. Make the movie what it is. A prequel. Back in time. Before the other movies were made with their advanced technology. Ugh.

Yes! Exactly! Pay attention to the world you are making a prequel or sequel of, and put the loving effort into doing it right. It means so much when it's done right, and when it isn't, it just cheapens the entire thing, and makes the movie / game look like a shallow, rushed cash-in attempt.

I still haven't seen Prometheus, and I doubt I ever will based on what I've heard about it. I had super high hopes when I heard about it, because I love expansion of the Alien universe (I had so many of the comics growing up), but... meh. :smith: Same for Covenant. Just... ehhhh.

e.

Julius CSAR posted:

They actually hired the guy who did all the industrial design work on the original film to do the same for Isolation with a very specific order to keep the tech looking similar. If you're having trouble following the waypoint marker on the motion tracker, just look up and read all the signs around you, they are actually designed to be followed.

Ha, that owns. And it shows. This is how you do a continuation of a universe right, you bring in the people who built the stuff in the first place.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, when I saw Pan-Am and Atari ads in BR:2049 I knew they hit the jackpot.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

uh this gladiator 2 script sounds loving bonkers

quote:

Everything leads to a showdown between Lucius’s Roman enforcers and the Christian resistance army which Maximus and Juba have been training in secret. And then what? Another chat with the Roman Gods? A family reunion in sunny Elysium? Well, no. Instead, Cave has Maximus striding into battle through the centuries: in the Crusades, in the World Wars, in Vietnam, and finally in the Pentagon, in a grander version of the opening montage of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The message is that by choosing armed combat over non-violent resistance, Maximus has condemned humanity to an eternal cycle of bloodshed, which is a thought-provoking conclusion, but maybe not a crowd-pleasing one. Crowe’s reaction, according to Cave, was simple: “Don’t like it, mate.”

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

uh this gladiator 2 script sounds loving bonkers

READ IT! I could see the film playing out in my mind, Cave's script is very good.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also I was thinking of the wrong alien 3 script: the really bonkers one is this (https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_III_(Vincent_Ward)) from vincent ward

quote:

It is set on a monastery satellite called Arceon (not to be confused with Acheron), which is largely constructed of wood and crewed by an order of reclusive monks who have rejected all modern technology.

quote:

After having a nightmare about a Xenomorph, Ripley awakes inside the monastery. Outside her window, she sees fields of wheat, all housed beneath the surface of Arceon, with the ceiling high above painted to resemble sky and fitted with large windows that allow sunlight to filter down. As she watches, the Sulaco escape pod is lowered down, having been recovered from the lake. The Abbot enters and tells Ripley a little about their community, explaining that they have no radio for her to call for help and that she was found alone inside the pod. Ripley in turn attempts to warn the Abbot about the Alien, which she suspects was responsible for Newt's death, but is rebuked; the highly skeptical Abbot holds that her recounting of the events on LV-426 are all an elaborate deception, as he believes Earth was destroyed decades previously in an event that led to the monks rejecting all technology. The Abbot has Ripley locked in her room and forbids Brother John from making contact with her.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm just finishing up the documentary about the making of Aliens after the second or third day (it's 3 hours long) and here's an endearing quip about Bill Paxton from Michael Biehn. The video and audio are WAY off but you get used to it after an hour or so.

Anyway, it made me smile. :unsmith:

Timestamped obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V--gH9ayR-o&t=10588s

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

:same:

Details like the attention to the retro-future aspect of it is what made Isolation so great and atmospheric.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Man there’s a video I’m trying to find of a guy who does old movie reviews and he talks about how Titanic was actually an action movie that got re-edited to be a romance after that Celine Dion song dropped and it’s one of the reasons the movie feels really conflicted.

I thought it was that Oliver Harper dude on Youtube but I can’t find the video :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I *love* the Corps!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I *love* the Corps!

“Gee, would ya sarge?”

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I also love “Great! Why don’t we put her in charge!”

This thread should just be Hudson quotes.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

"Look into my eye."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Julius CSAR posted:

I also love “Great! Why don’t we put her in charge!”

This thread should just be Hudson quotes.

I have nothing against that whatsoever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BULLETKISS posted:

"Look into my eye."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

^^I was Reiser posting independent of this heh

Man Paul Reiser plays his part so well, it was cool seeing him return in Stranger Things (I fully expected him to betray everyone at all times)

There's a whole episode that literally becomes an Aliens homage.

I have been calling staple removers "Alien Heads" or "Alien Queens" since I was eleven.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Also:
“You’re an American!”
“No, suh! Ahm from Kentuckee!”

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 9, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Julius CSAR posted:

Also:
“You’re an American!”

:rip: :smith:

I turned on the first AvP. For research purposes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

Also:
“You’re an American!”

My biggest disappointment is that he never once said "Game over" in Edge Of Tomorrow.

Otherwise, it is a great bookend role.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I turned on Alien: Covenant last night but made it about 20 minutes. I got bored with the build up. I'll watch it again soon.

I ended up watching Predator 2 last night. Bill Paxton is just loving amazing. He had like 30 seconds in The Terminator and he was still awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I turned on Alien: Covenant last night but made it about 20 minutes. I got bored with the build up. I'll watch it again soon.

I ended up watching Predator 2 last night. Bill Paxton is just loving amazing. He had like 30 seconds in The Terminator and he was still awesome.

Covenant sucks rear end. Like for real that movie is garbage.