Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Harton posted:

So it seems Democrat’s are coming out in favor of legislation of weed. This could be pretty big for younger turnout right?

It’s broadly popular among most groups right? I can see groups like evangelicals being against it, but not like they’re going Dem or having a bigger turnout than they already have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fragmented posted:

Do you have good memories of Apple? I'm actually serious. I just remember them being the computers i couldn't build or upgrade.

I’m an old who also remembers Apple being the underdog. I could not have had less interest in souping up computers (not that there’s anything wrong with people who do like to do that, of course), so I was just satisfied with having a machine that worked and was super user-friendly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IE to AIM. Next it’s W.I.N.D.O.W.S. 98

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I agree with this. It’s crazy how the media keeps painting the Democrats as moving to the more radical left (in other words out of the mainstream) when they’re just going to where the people are (which also happen to be more left). The idea that they’re going to lose voters by embracing policies supported by 70 percent of voters is a bit nuts

https://twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/1104416943618981888?s=21

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 9, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

"Mom, grandpa is wandering off again while yelling "daddy, love me!" at the bushes"

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

It’s broadly popular among most groups right? I can see groups like evangelicals being against it, but not like they’re going Dem or having a bigger turnout than they already have

Mostly, yes. Even Utah voted for medical legalization, but of course it's all tied up in red tape because Utah government. I mean, you could look up the polls, but everyone can see what states it's legal in now, even recreational, and how they have not collapsed into MADMAX hellscapes.

Sorry lil' Jeffy Sessions, you are wrong!

E- Here's a VOX article from late last year about just that, but I imagine opinions haven't changed much since then. Weed War III hasn't erupted.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 9, 2019

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Majorian posted:

I’m an old who also remembers Apple being the underdog. I could not have had less interest in souping up computers (not that there’s anything wrong with people who do like to do that, of course), so I was just satisfied with having a machine that worked and was super user-friendly.

I'm 37 and didn't really get in to computers until 1996 or so. Maybe it's because i grew up in a low income household*
Edit* and i wanted to play counterstrike

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 9, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

God drat!

I mean Cyka BLYAT!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fragmented posted:

I'm 37 and didn't really get in to computers until 1996 or so. Maybe it's because i grew up in a low income household.

You didn't have Macs everywhere at school?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fragmented posted:

Do you have good memories of Apple? I'm actually serious. I just remember them being the computers i couldn't build or upgrade.

I remember them always being the company trying to sell something while Microsoft was emerging and being the "special" computers that nothing was compatible with unless you were able to fond some back door shop no one ever heard of....like the back room (adult) of a video store but for Best Buy or something

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Our two school computers in grade school were macs yeah. I...didn't go to a normal middle school.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SocketWrench posted:

All I know is when I went I had a passport and the guy behind a counter stamped it on the way in and said "Welcome to the Netherlands"

congratulations, you are property of the Dutch East India Company

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Since Jayapal’s M4A bill will be getting congressional hearings, what are the odds people give it to pass the House this congressional term?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

You didn't have Macs everywhere at school?

Low income households make for low income districts which means they don’t have the funding even my working class meat packing town did for school tech budgets.

We had a lot of Apple IIs and Macs, in part because Apple was big on educational discounts as a way of strengthening their brand, but I went to other schools for competitions or whatever that were in districts much harder hit by the farming crisis in the late 80s/early 90s and they had so, so few computers, by my recollection. Poor districts just don’t get poo poo in terms of resources and it reifies class and race wealth disparities over generations that we fund our schools this way.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

theblackw0lf posted:

Since Jayapal’s M4A bill will be getting congressional hearings, what are the odds people give it to pass the House this congressional term?

Probably not bad considering that Democratic leadership knows it'll never see the light of day in the Senate, let alone ever get to Trump's desk for him to veto.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Looks like That Feeling When you're just not quite gonna make it to the porta potty.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1104452195947372545

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

theblackw0lf posted:

I agree with this. It’s crazy how the media keeps painting the Democrats as moving to the more radical left (in other words out of the mainstream) when they’re just going to where the people are (which also happen to be more left). The idea that they’re going to lose voters by embracing policies supported by 70 percent of voters is a bit nuts

https://twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/1104416943618981888?s=21

Ehhhh better idea, if a leftist idea polls at above 50% we keep calling it leftist and just admit leftist ideas are widely popular. Not a critique of your post, because your assessment is right-on, but knowing Pfeiffer this almost reads like "M4A is a centrist idea that is widely held in equal measure among the left and the center", which it really isn't. The center's M4A is not the left's M4A, and while we might call it the same thing we likely mean different things when we advocate for it. There is no reality where the center of the Democratic Party's M4A proposal doesn't inevitably circle back around to affordable access for all, unless he is suggesting the left is the new center, which is...really loving ambitious, and probably not what he means.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I remember Macs being the computer that when you went to the game store they had walls covered in games and then they had the "mac shelf" which was 3 shelves with 4 games each and they were all pretty old.

Then they were the computers you couldn't upgrade. Back when a new ram stick made all the difference in the world for a game and hard drive space was a genuine issue.

Now macs are the computer my 64 year old co worker has because it's the type of computer his wife got from her school and so he has to get have the same.

And whenever he wants to add something like trying to use a separate monitor for karaoke. You can't just plug in the HDMI cable. You need an adapter from the mac store. Everything needs adapters.

Katt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 9, 2019

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
In addendum to my weedpost earlier, not only is legalization important, but expunging criminal convictions of everybody arrested for simple smokin'. (I'll let you guess which way that conviction rate leans racially.) San Francisco has already started to do it, with no legal action required from those incarcerated. If you hurt somebody in your weed-crime that's goona count against you, but just simple possession? C'mon.
Even the local PA high schools here just lowered the punishment for like a joint or two to suspension, not calling the cops.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Deified Data posted:

Ehhhh better idea, if a leftist idea polls at above 50% we keep calling it leftist and just admit leftist ideas are widely popular. Not a critique of your post, because your assessment is right-on, but knowing Pfeiffer this almost reads like "M4A is a centrist idea that is widely held in equal measure among the left and the center", which it really isn't. The center's M4A is not the left's M4A, and while we might call it the same thing we likely mean different things when we advocate for it. There is no reality where the center of the Democratic Party's M4A proposal doesn't inevitably circle back around to affordable access for all, unless he is suggesting the left is the new center, which is...really loving ambitious, and probably not what he means.

I don’t know. I’ve heard quite often on PSA that the center has moved left over the past couple years in part thanks to Bernie and the grassroots activists, so that might very well be what he means.

M4A is a bit tricky because when you poll M4A you get 70 percent or so but when you start mentioning that private insurance as we know it would cease to be the numbers drop, though there’s dispute how much. So it’s hard to gauge how the public feels about a single payer M4A system. But that just means that we need to work hard to explain to people why getting rid of private insurance would be a good thing (which the PSA guys have also said we we need to do).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

selec posted:

It’s gonna be funny watching congenitally square, cautious politicians trying to out-flank each other...[Jon Stewart voice] on weeeeed.

Bernie is going to propose people’s grow co-ops and a national prohibition on reggies.

No what's going to be really funny is watching the libertarians flail around once they lose their largest foot-in-the-door recruitment pitch.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 9, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KickerOfMice posted:

In addendum to my weedpost earlier, not only is legalization important, but expunging criminal convictions of everybody arrested for simple smokin'. (I'll let you guess which way that conviction rate leans racially.) San Francisco has already started to do it, with no legal action required from those incarcerated. If you hurt somebody in your weed-crime that's goona count against you, but just simple possession? C'mon.
Even the local PA high schools here just lowered the punishment for like a joint or two to suspension, not calling the cops.

Considering how many lives the drug war has ruined, there should be some sort of reparations for those incarcerated under marijuana offenses.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Young Freud posted:

Considering how many lives the drug war has ruined, there should be some sort of reparations for those incarcerated under marijuana offenses.

They should start by paying out what the police estimated the street price of their weed was. Whole lotta people got screwed by the police weighing their packet of blunts, filters packaging and all, or the entire dust-covered grinder and using the per gram weight of the most expensive strain on earth (tripled because it could be cut you know?), at the very least they should get compensation for what the police claimed to have confiscated.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

As someone who helped manage a school district in the 2000’s I can say that we had mac labs and pc/windows labs and the mac lab probably had like 20 problems at the start when it was first set up and then 3 or 4 problems once a year after that. The pc labs were on fire 200 times a month. I haven’t used a mac in years now, but they were a way better investment at the time. That reputation windows has isn’t for nothing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twice burned ice posted:

Manafort is a rich person. He is going to jail. You are wrong.

Unless you'd like to claim that he "betrayed his class" by committing tax and bank fraud?
And Lindsay Lohan went to jail for DUI

It was general statement that rich people typically avoid criminal consequences for their actions, not a categorical statement that no rich person has ever gone to prison ever.

Manafort getting grossly undersentenced for crimes that he should have spent life in prison for supports the prediction that Trump won't pay for his crimes, trying to use an example of a rich person getting preferential treatment to argue that rich people don't get preferential treatment is absurd.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 9, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea legalization is good but legalization without an additional 'also let everyone currently in jail for it out, purge their records, and repay victims of the drug war' is the most easy half measure bullshit possible in 2019.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

yea legalization is good but legalization without an additional 'also let everyone currently in jail for it out, purge their records, and repay victims of the drug war' is the most easy half measure bullshit possible in 2019.

I don't know how reperations would go over with America at large, but freeing people from jail for a victimless crime (yes there will be pushback against that) seems pretty alright with the non-CHUDs out there right now. :shrug:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Don't forget prohibiting drug testing for positions where off the clock use of the drug would not impact job performance.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well since we're asking for rainbow ice cream making GBS threads unicorns out of our legal system, banning the question of whether someone has been arrested or convicted from employment forms would be a drat solid ask. I'm willing to accept exemptions for specific positions where there's a public interest in knowing, but loving McDonald's burger flipper does not need any more ammunition to discriminate and at the same time devalue the power of labor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bird food bathtub posted:

Well since we're asking for rainbow ice cream making GBS threads unicorns out of our legal system, banning the question of whether someone has been arrested or convicted from employment forms would be a drat solid ask. I'm willing to accept exemptions for specific positions where there's a public interest in knowing, but loving McDonald's burger flipper does not need any more ammunition to discriminate and at the same time devalue the power of labor.

yea man you can dismiss it as 'rainbow ice cream making GBS threads unicorns' but these are also the only policies that would actually benefit most of America

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

Well since we're asking for rainbow ice cream making GBS threads unicorns

Discussing what should happen isn't blind hope that it will? You know, D&D?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Judith Miller helps murder a million Iraqi's using the NYT mantle to sell a story, and now works at Fox News. Amazing.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lol, she would have been banned from these very forums for saying similar statements in 2008.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

He really looks like he's making GBS threads himself.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

sexpig by night posted:

i dunno, Beto's hilarious "half of college will be free" plan was pretty funny

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Harton posted:

So it seems Democrat’s are coming out in favor of legislation of weed. This could be pretty big for younger turnout right?

I wouldn't expect this to hugely impact turnout out because even while marijuana legalization is broadly popular, in most surveys it tends to rank low on people's priorities. That is to say most people base their voting preference on issues like healthcare, the economy, or abortion, stuff like that, and then they might give a bonus for supporting legalization. It just isn't a huge motivating issue for most people.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Squalid posted:

I wouldn't expect this to hugely impact turnout out because even while marijuana legalization is broadly popular, in most surveys it tends to rank low on people's priorities. That is to say most people base their voting preference on issues like healthcare, the economy, or abortion, stuff like that, and then they might give a bonus for supporting legalization. It just isn't a huge motivating issue for most people.

It could be a turnout boosting issue for a voter cohort that usually doesn't turn out well, i.e. young people.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Squalid posted:

Out of all of those things, which do you think would motivate the majority of 18-20 year old voters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The fake Melania stuff is weird cuz 1) that woman doesn't look all that similar 2) is like 4 or 5 inches shorter than Melania (who is about an inch shorter than Trump in flats 3) actually holds his hand, and not just touches his hand but is like hanging on for dear life and 4) has totally different walk, actually walks ahead of Trump and just has wildly different body language in general

E: said better here https://twitter.com/ayglsr/status/1104400871516004352

It was funny for a bit, but it was her. Look through the press pictures from getty images. There's plenty of her during that trip without her sunglasses on.