Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

BlazetheInferno posted:

1) Holy poo poo, Guan Yu survived Lu Bu long enough to steal the kill?

2) Wait, the player specifically has to get to kill for the Supply Captain to spawn? Ripoff! I know it's like that for stuff like 4th weapons and some other Rare items, but I figured Lu Bu and Red Hare was a special case. Guess not.

3) Yeah, 3 honestly has the smartest, most dangerous peons in the series. They got less and less impressive as the series went on. Archers hurt like hell, and even the lowly privates will occasionally bust out a small musou attack.

1) Loads survived. By the time Lu Bu had finished with Yuan Shu, most of the northern map was clear. So Sun Jian, Liu Bei, Cao Cao, and Gongsun Zan all made it to Lu Bu. Huang Gai was the only guy defeated surprisingly.

2) Yes, you need to be the guy that kills Lu Bu for the Supply Unit to appear. Guan Yu rendered himself in out of nowhere and got two quick hits in. Also what gives with Lu Bu dropping Atk +2!

3) In Dw3, every unit kills the peons and on Hu Lao I usually have a few 50 and 100 ko notifications about other units. They are worth killing since every 50 kills effects morale. And morale dictates all offscreen battles. In WO4, even ally officers used to just skip past peons like they aren’t there, making them pointless. You also mow them down so quickly they don’t even count towards morale in WO4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I didn't even know rendered characters could hurt Lu Bu. I thought he was Leader invincible to the NPCs.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Didnt see it mentioned last page, but if you ever wanted to get in on a Warriors game, there's two days left on a big KoeiTecmo sale right now on Steam.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

McTimmy posted:

I didn't even know rendered characters could hurt Lu Bu. I thought he was Leader invincible to the NPCs.

He is on Dw5 and beyond where Xia Pi features. But on Hu Lao gate, he can be defeated by anyone.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Manic X posted:

He is on Dw5 and beyond where Xia Pi features. But on Hu Lao gate, he can be defeated by anyone.

In other words, he gains standard Enemy Commander "Killing Blow must come from Player" invincibility, but only when he's actually the Enemy Commander. Hell, I've even seen Lu Bu go down off-screen in DW3. On-screen he tends to rip apart anyone who tries to engage him, but that's because he's really hard to get a good Allied Officer Dogpile on in DW3 Hu Lao. Best you can generally do is the Three Brothers, but that's not really enough considering how obscenely high his defense is boosted at Hu Lao - it's high to the point where unless you've got a really developed character with high attack, your standard attack string may not even make him flinch.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

In other words, he gains standard Enemy Commander "Killing Blow must come from Player" invincibility, but only when he's actually the Enemy Commander. Hell, I've even seen Lu Bu go down off-screen in DW3. On-screen he tends to rip apart anyone who tries to engage him, but that's because he's really hard to get a good Allied Officer Dogpile on in DW3 Hu Lao. Best you can generally do is the Three Brothers, but that's not really enough considering how obscenely high his defense is boosted at Hu Lao - it's high to the point where unless you've got a really developed character with high attack, your standard attack string may not even make him flinch.

Yes I have also had him die offscreen before. This is actually easy to accomplish. Wearing down enemy officers and then letting their unit get the kill always increases the morale of one or two ally units. If their morale gets to 7 or 8, they will overcome Lu Bu eventually.

If on screen, he doesn’t flinch when attacked. Meaning the whole squad can attack him and he will take the hits and deliver his standard triangle attack which wipes about 25% of ally health gauges. But as I said, it’s easy to block his attacks and hit him a few times when he stops.

Is DW8 XL worth it? If it’s still on sale tomorrow I might pick it up.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
DW3 he has four hits of Super Armour. So you need a 5 hit weapon or a Musou attack to make him flinch or block so you can block his counter attack. Of course, the thing with him having that armour is he will not bother blocking while it's up.

DW8XL is very much worth your time, I'd say

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I usually just get myself knocked into red and then play the Musou Dance with Lu Bu.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Bloodly posted:

DW3 he has four hits of Super Armour. So you need a 5 hit weapon or a Musou attack to make him flinch or block so you can block his counter attack. Of course, the thing with him having that armour is he will not bother blocking while it's up.

DW8XL is very much worth your time, I'd say

The other thing is, good loving luck getting 5+ hits in a row against him without him bitchslapping your health bar to oblivion.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats the best Musou game to get on the steam sale? Last one I played was DW7.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Ulio posted:

Whats the best Musou game to get on the steam sale? Last one I played was DW7.

Probably DW8XL.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Maleketh posted:

Probably DW8XL.

This. It's probably the best of the series, gameplay wise.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

TheTofuShop posted:

Didnt see it mentioned last page, but if you ever wanted to get in on a Warriors game, there's two days left on a big KoeiTecmo sale right now on Steam.

Sadly no discount on the DOA season pass.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Weird, it's $25 in my region. Yay for regional pricing I guess

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I got DW8 XL for $6

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
After playing Hyrule Warriors for quite some time I deeply regret first off buying it for my friend for Christmas and also purchasing it myself. These lovely boss fights are a complete deal breaker in my opinion. The mechanics for it are completely stupid and unfun (wait until you can use the one item that works on it during an opening while you can do nothing else :downsbravo:). They're not tough usually, just an awful time waster at best.

I really wish that whoever designed that system was fired.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

After playing Hyrule Warriors for quite some time I deeply regret first off buying it for my friend for Christmas and also purchasing it myself. These lovely boss fights are a complete deal breaker in my opinion. The mechanics for it are completely stupid and unfun (wait until you can use the one item that works on it during an opening while you can do nothing else :downsbravo:). They're not tough usually, just an awful time waster at best.

I really wish that whoever designed that system was fired.

There are ways around it but they aren't obvious. You can make a fairy learn the knock down skill that auto downs enemies, or use your magic finisher to do the same thing. They aren't great but the game is still great imo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh, so this is what they're doing with DW9: a Korean Smartphone MMORPG.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Policenaut posted:

Oh, so this is what they're doing with DW9: a Korean Smartphone MMORPG.

What the gently caress

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The "target lock" thing in DW3 where your character just suddenly focuses on one guy during a combo sucks a fat loving dick and is so infuriatingly inconsistent. For no good reason it either swerves off to land the last half of the combo on some guy who is already dead, or fails completely to even start during a 1v1 moment, leaving Guan Yu swatting at the air like a loving idiot.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Just beat Lu Bu's DW3 XL campaign for the first time. The campaign was painfully meh.

In other news...

HOW DO I GET THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LglbAcxajPY

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh yeah, this exists, forgot about that. Something to do with using Cheat Engine.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh yeah, this exists, forgot about that. Something to do with using Cheat Engine.

Only problem with something like this is whoever's on the enemy side of a given map has an automatic army advantage, just due to the nature of the game, needing the player to intervene to prevent their army getting massacred.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Yeah it's not really ideal for PvP, but it's neat to see it happen. Largely impractical however (except for shits and giggles) since you always lose, even when you win :anime:

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I get that it’s not perfect. But do any of you know how they achieve this with the cheat engine? I tried contacting the makers of a few of the mod videos last week, but still got no reply from any of them.

I’ll put my girlfriend who has never played before on the side of the superior army. That’ll even the odds for sure.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Hey goons would anyone happen to have a spare coupon for Extella/Link? Owners of the previous game got them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Extella Link came out, and it's a pretty fun musou that's a significant step up from the first game. It's still very much for Type-Moon nerds, and the graphics, while improved, are still a little dumpy, but the customisable movesets are cool (especially since the game is easy enough that you can go for what's fun rather than what's super-powerful), you feel like the ridiculously powerful demigod you are (yes, even by the standards of your average musou game), and you have to slog through significantly less of Nasu's turgid, repetitive prose to get to the fireworks factory.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't like the mechanics of Extella Link at all.
I thought something was off when I saw that there was no movelists for characters and that they all had the exact same inputs for their combos but once I played the game a bit more and found out that the normal moves don't even matter, that it's all about cycling through your 1 button specials, and then mashing X every now and then I was outta there right away.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I thought something was off when I saw that there was no movelists for characters and that they all had the exact same inputs for their combos but once I played the game a bit more and found out that the normal moves don't even matter, that it's all about cycling through your 1 button specials, and then mashing X every now and then I was outta there right away.

I mean, you can still do your combos between special moves, and several special moves are aimed to enhance your basic combos or provide other utility (like healing and stuns). In gameplay, they function very much like any other DW game's advanced combo-enders except that they're sometimes a bit more situational and you can decide which ones you want to pick before going into battle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, you can still do your combos between special moves, and several special moves are aimed to enhance your basic combos or provide other utility (like healing and stuns). In gameplay, they function very much like any other DW game's advanced combo-enders except that they're sometimes a bit more situational and you can decide which ones you want to pick before going into battle.

I mean....you're not wrong, they function the same way other DW game's combo enders do...except you don't need to do any combos since you can just activate the move whenever and the cooldown is low enough for you to just be cycling through them. Which is just boring.

There isn't even any dodge cancelling available to you so you can't even really use your normal attacks to attack trash mobs and move at the same time. Not that there's any real reason to pay attention to the trash mobs either, because they don't prevent you from capturing bases or anything like in other Musou-style games. Only the "officers" do.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 23, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I mean....you're not wrong, they function the same way other DW game's combo enders do...except you don't need to do any combos since you can just activate the move whenever and the cooldown is low enough for you to just be cycling through them. Which is just boring.

Then equip some moves other than the direct attack ones, like stuns, buffs, and counters. Being a walking artillery platform is only one way to play the game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Jack Trades posted:

They actually do have different move inputs. Go to the tutorial page and it lists their combos.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

One thing in Extella Link that worries me a bit is that they may have gone a little too far in fixing the momentum killing a lot of attacks in the first one did. A lot of the normal combos move so much that it can be hard to stay near a target. Chuck and Nero are a bit hard to control in that regard.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Ended up getting that coupon after all so I bought the game today. Don't forget to claim the free chibi DLC before it stops being free in a few days.

chumbler posted:

One thing in Extella Link that worries me a bit is that they may have gone a little too far in fixing the momentum killing a lot of attacks in the first one did. A lot of the normal combos move so much that it can be hard to stay near a target. Chuck and Nero are a bit hard to control in that regard.

Weirdly enough I think the first game was even more floaty but Link toned down some moves and made others more slippery. I only really noticed with a side by side comparison.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

chumbler posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who insists on calling him "Chuck."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Det_no posted:

Ended up getting that coupon after all so I bought the game today. Don't forget to claim the free chibi DLC before it stops being free in a few days.

How do you claim it for free? I mean, I already blew real money on it because I didn't know it could be claimed for free, but if nothing else, maybe someone else here can learn from my mistakes.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

How do you claim it for free? I mean, I already blew real money on it because I didn't know it could be claimed for free, but if nothing else, maybe someone else here can learn from my mistakes.

It's only Lil Nero, Tamamo and Altera, you should be good. The other chibis are in a paid bundle, yeah.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jumped into some DW3XL "Very Hard" difficulty battles with my maxed-out (per base DW3) Lu Bu and... uh...

Yellow Turban Rebellion. The first loving battle. Not even farming kills. This is the result of me (as a sub-officer) trying to keep He Jin sentient enough to fight back against the endless rush and not die.

Hulao (or Hu Lao) Gate. Again, no farming here but this time holy poo poo I spent too long clowning around slapping Yuan Shu and Liu Bei, then suddenly had to rush back and eliminate generals ASAP before Dong Zhuo poo poo the bed.

tl;dr Very Hard does NOT gently caress around when it comes to making your allies completely useless.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Op could use an update!

What are the current top dogs in DW,SW and empires versions of either?

On steam that is, sadly SW empires is not on pc :(