Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

The Locator posted:

Mind blown.. a real reason to upgrade to power armor 2!

Yeah it’s pretty great. Just 2 exoskeletons makes you about as fast as a tank.

Note to self: next game start uranium enrichment much sooner than you think is necessary... Jesus what a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

BrainMeats posted:

Me: I need to learn how to build a bit smaller scale in the early game so it doesn't take me 40 hours to get to nuclear power.

Also me:

Military science just coming online.

Does not compute. You have a flamethrower, armour and a roboport but only just doing military? Mods or console commands?

On the scale side, I got finished with blue with 10 labs. Going small for once is a nice change.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I won the game!

I am the ultimate logger!

I never launched a satellite, just pushed the button on my first rocket to see what it did. I have the save and can go back and continue, but I am currently starting a new game to try to do a lot of things better than I did in my first run through.

For starters, maximum automation. I hand-crafted probably 10's of thousands of items while I was running around (I never automated power poles, splitters, underground pipes or belts, lots of crap). Now that I have my initial mini-mall making the basic stuff my plan is to never hand-craft another single item in this game. We'll see how that goes.

I am also going to do more targeted research to get things that I discovered were fun & good in the prior game (cars, tanks, power armor) and try to localize production by type (military, building, etc.).

I would not be surprised if it had been tracked to find out that I spent more than half my time in that first game just running back and forth collecting stuff from all over my sprawling base. Stupid stuff like AP ammo was in the far south, while my tank explosive ammo was at the very top, and my grenades were somewhere in the middle. My belts were in the middle of a difficult to maneuver maze. Collection points were pretty much wherever I dropped a box with an inserter to grab them off of the production line that was set up to feed something else they were needed for (this included my belts and inserters which were set up as automation to feed research if I remember right).

In this game the only thing I changed on the biters is how close they spawn to my base, otherwise I left expansion and evolution on, so I expect to have to deal with them in the mid-game and on much more.

I also plan to get into some of the stuff I completely skipped over in this game, like the logistics stuff and trains. Maybe I'll even go nuclear!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Is it really a victory with an odd number of pipe to grounds in the world?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I'm only in blue science and I've already killed 5x more electric poles than that.

A rocket-fuel-powered car at full speed does enough damage to instantly destroy them on collision :argh:

Anyways, congrats!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
guh
Anyone got a 24 to 8 balancer blueprint handy

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Ratzap posted:

Does not compute. You have a flamethrower, armour and a roboport but only just doing military? Mods or console commands?

On the scale side, I got finished with blue with 10 labs. Going small for once is a nice change.

Quick start mod gave me the power armor and first train load of military science got me a flamethrower, because the bugs haven't been waiting patiently for me to tech up and bullets weren't cutting it anymore.

You can get a bot network up with just red and green science.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dr. Stab posted:

Is it really a victory with an odd number of pipe to grounds in the world?

That's not how many they made, but how many they killed :hellyeah:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

The Locator posted:

I am the ultimate logger!

15k is a nice start, now try again like you mean it! Trees are the true enemy! Get your pyromaniac achievement.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I never really installed QoL mods before, and I still haven't really done so beyond long reach, which is sort of cheat-y...

But I just used the upgrade planner for the first time in the vanilla version and I just came in my pants a little.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does the upgrade planner in vanilla do anything before you have 'bots? I'm doing mostly-vanilla for this go through (Far Reach, FARL, that sort are the exceptions)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Does the upgrade planner in vanilla do anything before you have 'bots? I'm doing mostly-vanilla for this go through (Far Reach, FARL, that sort are the exceptions)

No, it just flags the relevant tiles for replacement with whatever you set.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks. That gives me a goal to work towards--minimal do what I gotta do factory until I can get bots going, and start building from there. I've not gotten that far along in a long time, so we'll keep it simple.

Reminds me, I wanted to ask about Iron Gears again! Holy poo poo I hate em, it seems like you want to bus them because so much manufacturing wants them (unlike copper wiring) but they're twice the volume of just sending iron plates, but that makes the malls more complicated, and :argh:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks. That gives me a goal to work towards--minimal do what I gotta do factory until I can get bots going, and start building from there. I've not gotten that far along in a long time, so we'll keep it simple.

Reminds me, I wanted to ask about Iron Gears again! Holy poo poo I hate em, it seems like you want to bus them because so much manufacturing wants them (unlike copper wiring) but they're twice the volume of just sending iron plates, but that makes the malls more complicated, and :argh:

Gears are made from two iron plates. It's wires you don't want to bus.

e: compare https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.html#tab=graph&items=copper-cable:f:1,iron-gear-wheel:f:1

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wait, you're right, I had that backwards. Did that change at some point or am I just misremembering? Weird.

So uh, is there any reason not to just bus the drat things? :v:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Nah, it's always been like that. Gears are one of the best things to bus, they're used in tons of stuff, and it's literally doubling the throughput on all the iron that would have otherwise gone to downstream gear production

I think copper wires and iron sticks are the only things that are less dense than their constituent ingredients

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I never bus gears, gently caress it. I just grab them straight out of dedicated assemblers. It means more assemblers in the long run but oh well. The exception is red science machines since they use so few, a half lane of gears is fine.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

guh
Anyone got a 24 to 8 balancer blueprint handy

No, but just connect 4 sets of 6 to 2 balancers to a straight 8 to 8 balancer And that will work.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I don't normally bother busing gears because you just don't need that many. The only thing that takes a ton of them is belts, and it's easier to just set up a separate area for that if you don't have enough iron bus capacity.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Is there a way to swap back to the old quickbar system in .17? I do not like this new one

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That's not how many they made, but how many they killed :hellyeah:

They made an even number and killed an odd number. There's a pipe without a partner somewhere.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I rebound the 6-10 slots to shift 1-5 again and I just use modifiers + mousewheel to switch bars. The new system is definitely mostly bad, but it is nice to be able to swap between a factory building set, a rail building set, oil building set, a combat set, etc. It's just really badly done, hopefully they iterate on it again and make both bars a pair that change together.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Dr. Stab posted:

They made an even number and killed an odd number. There's a pipe without a partner somewhere.

Or there's an odd number of pipes in some chest somewhere.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is there some hard limit of 75 items per second for loaders? In .16 I was using the Ultimate Belts mod and the Miniloader mod and no problems using the 120/s mini loaders. Ultimate belts is not updated for .17, so I'm using Bob's Logistics with Miniloader. By default, belt speed is 15/s and increments by 15/s up to 75/s. The mod options allow you to change the default and increment, so I experimented and found that if I made a belt faster than 75/s, the associated miniloader would be glitchy. Some of them work, some don't. If you place one down, you can't pick it back up. If you left click on it, you can see the description popup, but as soon you hit escape to clear the popup, the game throws up an error code and crashes.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Stevefin posted:

Is there a way to swap back to the old quickbar system in .17? I do not like this new one

Nope.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Stevefin posted:

I'm genuinely curious what you liked better about the old one because I can't think of a single thing that isn't better about the new approach.

Also, if you let us know why you want to switch back somebody could probably help you try to do... whatever it is you need to do.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I know lots of people organized their hotbars and made sure things were in certain places, but it always became a bit of a dumping ground for me and honestly I kinda liked it that way? I always keep a deconstruction blueprint in the top left spot so I can grab it with the 1 key but otherwise I just let attrition arrange it for me. Now that I have to actually plan it out I just don't use it at all.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've only played a little of 0.17 and the one thing I find myself missing is handcrafted products going into the quick bar. Now I have to open the inventory and find the item, which is annoying!
I suppose the solution is to set up filters beforehand so new items are already in my bar. So one thing I would like to see is quick bar filters be the same across saves. I liked having my hot bar set up a certain way, my quick bar will be set up the same way, and I don't want to have to go through setting it up again each time I start a new game.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Solumin posted:

I've only played a little of 0.17 and the one thing I find myself missing is handcrafted products going into the quick bar. Now I have to open the inventory and find the item, which is annoying!
I suppose the solution is to set up filters beforehand so new items are already in my bar. So one thing I would like to see is quick bar filters be the same across saves. I liked having my hot bar set up a certain way, my quick bar will be set up the same way, and I don't want to have to go through setting it up again each time I start a new game.

Yep. I made a thread on the official forums almost two weeks ago which suggests letting quick bar filter setups be saved and loaded like blueprints are. It's gotten a few replies but more are always good.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Remember kids, pollution is a number that you make bigger. That big red cloud isn't angry it is your friend. You want your friends to grow big, strong, and healthy, right?

Pave everything. Plants make your big red friend sad.
I wish this game had more types of pollution so you can really Captain Planet villain it up.
Someone make a mod where you dump barrels into water for ??? reason. Would make barrels useful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Assemble batteries, insert into ocean. It's perfectly legal.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Croccers posted:

I wish this game had more types of pollution so you can really Captain Planet villain it up.
Someone make a mod where you dump barrels into water for ??? reason. Would make barrels useful.

There's a mod that lets you pump the oceans /lakes dry and refill them with crude oil from your oil rigs, if that's your fancy.
(I really hope they add support for more fluids, so you could make lakes of sludge, or sulphuric wastewater.)

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WaterAsAResource
https://i.imgur.com/7WAbtkV.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/U9jRLT9.gifv
:getin:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Ok here's my horrible mess factory that's still a big WIP:

The whole big map so far! I love trains and typically go for railworld-like maps that have ore patches spread the gently caress out. I couple it with angle's infinite ores + RSO so that each ore patch has some infinite ore in the middle for a nice little bonus.

The big mess.

Here's the north part. I made that little north/south road because it was getting hard to travel across my factorio in my vehicles.

South side.

Iron Smeltery.

Copper Smeltery + Stonery.

Here's the pitifully low pollutions. I'm working on it.
Also if you're not naming various geological features on your map you need to reexamine your life decisions.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 11, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Christ that is unsightly. I have a little bit of spaghetti for my mall, but as I play more I try to optimize and organize once I have the resources. The problem I'm having is I just built purple and yellow science all at once and suddenly I'm having an Iron crisis. I fixed the iron crisis with a new mine, and now I'm having a Power Crisis. Built out more power, and now it's time for the Copper Crisis and another new mine. My main bus is 'balanced' so well that everything starves equally.

Stepping back a second, I'll never not love braiding for science (blue science is missing due to aforementioned copper crisis; it comes in on the Military science belt):

Also - I was trying to figure out an 8x8 balancer for the Iron belts when I had a realization. I only feed from the outer lanes -- currently, just the top lane except in one case. With the new lane prioritization feature I realized all I really needed is something I'm calling the lambda balancer:

I also did my own blue/purple science layout since the recipes are all changed (1/3 purple/yellow recipe):

Copper crisis note - that fourth incoming belt from the left is supposed to be green/red circuits (you can see a lone red circuit being snatched up by the electric furnace assembler). I forgot to 'stage' the belt to back up a bit before my screenshot like I did for the blue chip assemblers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Any thoughts on steel smelting? Do you prefer a double-furnace arrangement for going ore to steel in one place or exporting iron off the bus into another 'normal' smelting column? I've never come up with a smeltery that felt particularly "good" to be honest.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ciaphas posted:

Any thoughts on steel smelting? Do you prefer a double-furnace arrangement for going ore to steel in one place or exporting iron off the bus into another 'normal' smelting column? I've never come up with a smeltery that felt particularly "good" to be honest.

I know there are some more compact arrangements using a kind of double-wide smelting column, but I tend to just leave a one space gap between each column both and bring a line of iron plate back down and feed it into an adjacent column for steel. I also use these gaps for feeding ore, coal, stone etc onto the bus without having to go all the way around a long line of columns. This is mid-game/steel furnaces though. Later, if I switch to electric and plan to build bigger I'm more likely to be smelting on site and be using bots.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 11, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I do double-wide, each side smelting a full belt of iron ore into steel. They end up being long, but when you need that much steel it's easier to plan out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

How do you deal with the biters attacking your infrastructure, or do they just ignore your trains and power lines? Only on my second game now and in my first game I pro-actively cleaned out nests before my pollution hit them, so I honestly have no idea but your map made me instantly think that your links were all super vulnerable.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Locator posted:

How do you deal with the biters attacking your infrastructure, or do they just ignore your trains and power lines? Only on my second game now and in my first game I pro-actively cleaned out nests before my pollution hit them, so I honestly have no idea but your map made me instantly think that your links were all super vulnerable.

IIRC: Biters only attack military buildings, players, and pollution-producing buildings, in that order.

So railway lines and power poles are safe from them, and they won't attack belts or pipes unless they're blocking their path. I think you could also cut power to outposts to minimize damage when they do attack, but I dunno how effective that is, once they've targeted something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I saw bitters wreck up some rails after wagon artillery fired on them. It looked like they only really attacked the spot they were fired on from, and didn't just rampage the whole track.

I've been working on nuclear power for my MP base, and while I understand how to make things go, I don't really understand some of the nuts and bolts, or I feel like I'm over thinking things?

I wanted to get something up and running, so I did just look up a stating ratio, which seemed to lead me to 1 Reactor, 4 Exchangers, 7 Turbines. (With 1 water pump, 1 centrifuge and 1 fuel producer) It took awhile to rub my brain cells together and understand what the neighbour bonus meant for scaling & ratios, but 1 reactor is 100% and 2 reactors is 400%, (Because each is giving each other a bonus 100%) which means 16 exchangers and 28 turbines. (Again sorta looked these numbers up, but I at least understand the math now.)

What I'm not really understanding is how the initial exchanger-to-reactor ratio works out, or like I don't understand how to read the heat pipes? I understand the exchangers need to be above 500*C, so what happens if you have too many exchangers? Can the extras not heat up enough? Or will they cause the whole system to fail by spreading the heat too much?

As for setup, I think I initally overcrowded and overcomplicated my setup with certain preconceptions: can I just imagine it as a set of networks? One of heat: as long as all the heat exchangers are on the heat network, will they be heated equally? (I know there's some loss over distance) Do the heat pipes need to be touching all reactors, or can the reactors pass heat through each other? How picky is feeding water into the heat exchangers? Can I just have a bunch of off-shore pumps feeding a single pipe, or will I want to have multiple pipes at some point?

And as long as all my heat exchangers output steam into a network of pipes that touches each exchanger and turbine, should I be good? Do I need pumps at some point? How do I manage under and over production? From comments earlier in the thread I realized I can just store steam in storage tanks (holy moley does it ever pile up) but what's the easiest way to be ready to use it? Will extra turbines hurt my system's ability to produce power when I'm not making excess steam?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 11, 2019