Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/eb00facc2f6dc880aca78a9aa69d4dcbcf2c5f4d

So, uh, more pain for Steam users. Help a loving idiot out that's continuing to pay for a six year old mistake, and drop a post in the consolidated petition thread on the forums, to the effect of giving us the option to :sever: from Steam if we want to?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/384982-PETITION-Regarding-FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-Steam-Version-%28Mar.-8%29

Also, yet another reason to tell your friends NEVER loving BUY THE GAME OFF THE STEAM. Only tell your enemies to.
Yeah I didn't mind the Steam limitations before, and honestly I just launch the game from steam anyway so this won't change much for me personally, but at this point it's really just getting a bit too restricted compared to the proper version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was just thinking I could use a break from the game, and that sounds extra obnoxious so perfect timing.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Also, yet another reason to tell your friends NEVER loving BUY THE GAME OFF THE STEAM. Only tell your enemies to.

What’s the actual rationale here? I’ve been using the Steam version for close to 4 years now and had zero problems, either i’ve just been really lucky or Steam’s DRM doesn’t bother me, etc.

EDIT: I see in the thread stuff about supposed performance issues, worries about Valve’s servers, etc., but not much actual evidence.

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 10, 2019

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I doubt there's any performance difference - once you launch FF14 there's probably no actual interference from Steam unless you have the overlay on - but there's just no reason to buy it on Steam, especially when it means you can't take advantage of any other stores having sales on expansions.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

As if you aren't preordering every expansion anyway.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Well, it’s not like Steam doesn’t have sales either, but I can absolutely see what you mean there.

That thread though seems to just be half-panicky about nebulous performance issues from the overlay, what if Steam goes down and you can’t log into FFXIV, something that happened with ESO, etc.

Anyway, i’ll shush lest people start thinking I work for Valve or something :p

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

2.3 MSQ finished. Previous poster was correct in that they have lightened a bit of the bullshit so it's not as bad now. I'm still teleporting all over creation talking to people but at least I'm generally not picking up special flour from a bakery on the other side of the world anymore. There aren't really less quests, they just seemed a bit more focused.

Observations (spoilers for up through 2.3):

- I really dig the refugee thing so far and how it explores how everyone is dealing with the terrible poo poo that keeps happening.
- Taking money from the Syndicate? WTF Alphinaud I thought you were smarter than that. Normally he's like the good guy version of Littlefinger but this seems like a poor move, especially since he knows that one guy is bad (alterji manabananamerji or whatever his name is). I mean we just jumped through quite a few hoops to be neutral
- We just spent a million quests about how hard it was going to be to move and how strapped our resources are at a new city, maybe it's not the best time to start an army?
- Why are half of the people I'm recruiting for this new company assholes that I beat up in quests like 30 levels ago? "Isn't that the guy that sold out the wood wailers? I think we can trust him!"
- It was kind of funny having everyone gawk at Yugiri and her amazing abilities that she will teach everyone when I've been a ninja killing primals right next to them the whole time.
-Thancred is growing on me even though he was annoying early on.
- The patch cycle of stuff happens, 'oh no a primal', continue other stuff is getting a little old even though the Ramuh encounter was pretty cool. I like where they are going with the 'maybe anyone can invoke any kind of primal if they believe in it enough and throw enough crystals at it'.
- I also dig the Ramuh "Maybe all of this is your fault" stuff, although I don't think the game ever really portrays Gridania as pushing the beastmen to the brink the way they do with Limsa and Ul'dah.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

oh no blimp issue posted:

As if you aren't preordering every expansion anyway.

Greenmangaming had sales on the preorders for heavensward and stormblood. Got the deluxe editions for the price of the standard ones. They've apparently been having trouble getting an agreement with SE to sell shadowbringers though.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gruckles posted:

Greenmangaming had sales on the preorders for heavensward and stormblood. Got the deluxe editions for the price of the standard ones. They've apparently been having trouble getting an agreement with SE to sell shadowbringers though.

Based on my recent experience of buying stormblood and shadowbringers it seems like there might be something a little strange with how SE does their keys (or I'm just unlucky). It took Newegg over 24 hours to get me my Stormblood key, and it took Amazon over 24 hours to get me my Shadowbringers preorder key.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Deathwing posted:

What’s the actual rationale here? I’ve been using the Steam version for close to 4 years now and had zero problems, either i’ve just been really lucky or Steam’s DRM doesn’t bother me, etc.

EDIT: I see in the thread stuff about supposed performance issues, worries about Valve’s servers, etc., but not much actual evidence.

Just from a strictly bargain shopper perspective, it is aggravating to see expansions going on sale everywhere else, while not being able to take advantage of them. On steam, the best sale price you can expect before an expansion is 10%, whereas during the lead-up to Heavensward and Stormblood, PC CE keys could be had for the price of the standard edition, and standard editions close to 50% off.

The only trade-off for actually having a Steam-based copy of the game is that you would be able to pay for your sub with Steam credit. Which is a benefit for some, provided they have a steady influx of Steam credit through selling *whatever*, but that turned out to be too much of a job for me.

You don't even need to use Steam to launch the game. Even with Steam not running, if you make a shortcut on your desktop that points at ffxivboot.exe, it will fire up the launcher as normal.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gruckles posted:

I was wondering why they didn't have it up yet. Might end up having to pre-order it elsewhere, which is a shame since I liked GMG's discounts.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Price is the reason that makes the most sense, yeah. I think I manged to catch a Steam sale to get ARR+HW 50% off a few years ago, but I can see how it’d be aggravating.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/eb00facc2f6dc880aca78a9aa69d4dcbcf2c5f4d

So, uh, more pain for Steam users. Help out a loving idiot that's continuing to pay for a six year old mistake, and drop a post in the consolidated petition thread on the forums, to the effect of giving us the option to :sever: from Steam if we want to?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/384982-PETITION-Regarding-FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-Steam-Version-%28Mar.-8%29

So wait what does this actually mean? Like I have to launch the game through my steam library? Is that all? Because that's what I've been doing every single time I play it cause I keep steam up to yell at my friends. This doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. Am I missing something?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

do we think stormblood is going to go on sale again before SHB comes out?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You don't even need to use Steam to launch the game. Even with Steam not running, if you make a shortcut on your desktop that points at ffxivboot.exe, it will fire up the launcher as normal.

Isn't that part of what's changing, or am I misunderstand something?

Also ugh, GMG and BB both not having the PC version for pre-order sucks, I hope that changes soon.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So wait what does this actually mean? Like I have to launch the game through my steam library? Is that all? Because that's what I've been doing every single time I play it cause I keep steam up to yell at my friends. This doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. Am I missing something?

That's literally all. Now every Steam user is forced to. The end time are on us all, and not even God will show us mercy for our sins.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's literally all. Now every Steam user is forced to. The end time are on us all, and not even God will show us mercy for our sins.

Oh okay I was...Like I don't even have the overlay enabled most of the time because I don't wanna accidentally pull it up mid raid somehow.

This is the most non-issue change. Steam has me logged in automatically cause it's where I have most of my games so it's literally just 2 extra buttons to press at most before getting to the launcher.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

johnny park posted:

do we think stormblood is going to go on sale again before SHB comes out?

The PC version is on sale at Newegg for $29. Like I posted earlier though, it took me over 24 hours to get my key.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh okay I was...Like I don't even have the overlay enabled most of the time because I don't wanna accidentally pull it up mid raid somehow.

This is the most non-issue change. Steam has me logged in automatically cause it's where I have most of my games so it's literally just 2 extra buttons to press at most before getting to the launcher.

I admit I don't use steam, but all the "never use steam!!" stuff has always been a little weird to me. Like yeah, you can probably get non-steam versions a little cheaper if you're willing to wait and shop around, but you're also only buying something like once every two years so who cares. The fact that they're split is kind of confusing though, but I assume that was SE's decision to do that.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The biggest current issue with Steam forcing using the Steam client is several goons have reported having issues with Steam and Controllers, where the only way to get controllers to work is through not running it through Steam.

So, kind of poo poo, until Valve fixes their assbackwards controller setup.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If you're using a controller, then your main Issue With Controllers is that you're using a controller, regardless what platform you're playing on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mymla posted:

If you're using a controller, then your main Issue With Controllers is that you're using a controller, regardless what platform you're playing on.

controllers are good in this game lol

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mymla posted:

you're just literally wrong and stupid?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Phone posted:

controllers are good in this game lol

at failing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I would probably use a controller at this point if I hadn't bought an MMO mouse, which was a really smart decision and made me actually able to press all these drat buttons instead of clicking.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mymla posted:

lmao

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Look at these scrubs that don't have a G13 keypad.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Arist posted:

I would probably use a controller at this point if I hadn't bought an MMO mouse, which was a really smart decision and made me actually able to press all these drat buttons instead of clicking.
Which one did you get? I'm considering one myself because hotbar games have become a real chore for me recently.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pierson posted:

Which one did you get? I'm considering one myself because hotbar games have become a real chore for me recently.

Logitech G600.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arist posted:

Logitech G600.

I wish they'd release a refresh or an update. Not that there'd be a lot that needs changing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

The biggest current issue with Steam forcing using the Steam client is several goons have reported having issues with Steam and Controllers, where the only way to get controllers to work is through not running it through Steam.

So, kind of poo poo, until Valve fixes their assbackwards controller setup.

So maybe I'm just lucky but I play my melee DPS on controller and it's just a cheap usb on I got at Wal-mart and it just plugs and plays even with steam. Are the issues peopel are having with like Dualshocks or something you have to use Direct X to get going? I know for a bit I had to turn of the overlay to get my old 360 controller to work but I could still run the game through steam with the over lay off.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deathwing posted:

Well, it’s not like Steam doesn’t have sales either, but I can absolutely see what you mean there.

That thread though seems to just be half-panicky about nebulous performance issues from the overlay, what if Steam goes down and you can’t log into FFXIV, something that happened with ESO, etc.

Anyway, i’ll shush lest people start thinking I work for Valve or something :p
When I first started FFXIV, having to install everything on Steam in order to launch the patcher added a ton of extra download time. Just launching the game from the shortcut saved me a bunch of time and frustration.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I don't have a computer capable of running the game worth a drat, so PS4 it is.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mymla posted:

in a thread full of bad takes this is actually the worst

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Most people on the official forums aren't complaining about that part. Apparently ESO made a similar change ~18 months ago and Steam users get locked out of the game for days at a time because Valve's auth servers go down a lot

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jose Valasquez posted:

Most people on the official forums aren't complaining about that part. Apparently ESO made a similar change ~18 months ago and Steam users get locked out of the game for days at a time because Valve's auth servers go down a lot

Maybe. 5K hours in over 5 years and I've never had that happen. Nor been locked out of any steam game for any period of time. Probably still nothing to worry about.

On the lighter side:

All he'd do was Sic Titan Egi with that macro and sit back and watch.

Never seen a party rush to kick someone so fast.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm roleplaying a pokemon trainer and while I have your attention, you don't pay my sub

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Maybe. 5K hours in over 5 years and I've never had that happen. Nor been locked out of any steam game for any period of time. Probably still nothing to worry about.

On the lighter side:

All he'd do was Sic Titan Egi with that macro and sit back and watch.

Never seen a party rush to kick someone so fast.

this is the same guy who refused to equip a job stone until 4.0 came out. i think he's literally insane

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Klewer posted:

this is the same guy who refused to equip a job stone until 4.0 came out. i think he's literally insane

I just saw a few of his blog posts on the lodestone. Yeah, he's way out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm upset because i had real life interrupt a MSQ roulette when it was maybe ten minutes away from finishing. All those cutscenes watched for nothing.