Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's literally all. Now every Steam user is forced to. The end time are on us all, and not even God will show us mercy for our sins.

There was some speculation in the OF that by forcing you to play through the Steam library only, they'll also enforce Steam authentication on your connection on top of SQEX authentication, and Steam's auth servers are poo poo. I have no idea if that will actually be the case, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I just saw a few of his blog posts on the lodestone. Yeah, he's way out there.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/11672/blog/3402502/ lol this guy owns

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kwyndig posted:

I'm upset because i had real life interrupt a MSQ roulette when it was maybe ten minutes away from finishing. All those cutscenes watched for nothing.

you got to relive square's gripping narrative before new game+, if anything you should be thankful for getting to run it again for your "reward"

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hey its your good pal mittens

can anyone make the whisperfine set? i will provide mats and stuff, i just really want it

my mittens need comfy friends

if so whisper me Lieutenant Mittens@Excalibur

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Twenty five minutes and five hundred thousand gil later, got a glamour for my catgirl SAM I'm happy with.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 11, 2019

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

hey its your good pal mittens

can anyone make the whisperfine set? i will provide mats and stuff, i just really want it

my mittens need comfy friends

if so whisper me Lieutenant Mittens@Excalibur

i got it and it was worth it these pants are ridiculous and i love it

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I know a guy who got to level 50 and did high end content as a Lancer back in the day, but he didn't spring it on unsuspecting parties like a jagoff.

e: I think that guy you linked thinks yoshi-p and naoki yoshida are two different people what the heckies

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

New leaked image of lalafell gunbreakers.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Just finished up the HW Weaver class quests and man, every healer NPC in the game has PTSD about letting their boyfriends die. Maybe they should have cast Holy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Gsm is lowkey the actual best job quests in the game. 60-70 is cute as well.

Quoting this post from 3 weeks ago to confirm

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
How much longer till JP fanfest? I need me some DEETS!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BrightWing posted:

How much longer till JP fanfest? I need me some DEETS!

12 days

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Captain Cappy posted:

Just finished up the HW Weaver class quests and man, every healer NPC in the game has PTSD about letting their boyfriends die. Maybe they should have cast Holy.

Holy is a WHM spell and while jobs are becoming more common, they're still not that common and some are more exclusive clubs than others.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Been really curious about class reworks coming up and I wonder if they will try to simplify rotations and stuff. I don't know why, but I just can't wrap my head around 70 DPS rotations on almost every class besides NIN. Doesn't help that I really want to play MCH so bad but well, ya know.

Main reason that I tank most of the time. Life is simple here.

I'm almost scared if they even try it. I just remember the PVP culling revamp and while I enjoyed it personally, I remember people losing their poo poo over it in a big way.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Argas posted:

Holy is a WHM spell and while jobs are becoming more common, they're still not that common and some are more exclusive clubs than others.

NPCs have never cared about some spells being job only.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MCH is fun to figure out but it's loving obnoxious once you figure it out and have to do that consistently.

Some other goon mentioned that wildfire is the source of all the MCH's troubles and I agree with that sentiment. It seems like there could have been cool stuff with the wildfire system and cool stuff with the gauss barrel/attachments. I had a passing fancy that they'd implement Edgar (FF6)'s tools in a cool way.

I like the animations though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

what outfit is that and what bird is that i love them both

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Does Scholar have any kind of dark dire secret behind it lore-wise? I know WHM is the forbidden ultimate jutsu of hugging a tree and the Sharlayans were sitting on Astrologianmancy in the hopes that it would hatch like a great egg of Smarty Boy, but doesn't Scholar just require you to study so hard you can summon the bondage fairies?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

Does Scholar have any kind of dark dire secret behind it lore-wise? I know WHM is the forbidden ultimate jutsu of hugging a tree and the Sharlayans were sitting on Astrologianmancy in the hopes that it would hatch like a great egg of Smarty Boy, but doesn't Scholar just require you to study so hard you can summon the bondage fairies?
The fairies are basically "what if we made carbuncles that could learn?" Their aetheric essence is stored in the Scholar soul crystals, and they have their own memories and such. Most of the rest of Scholar abilities are just using STRATEGY really hard, like you shout at everyone to walk it off and they do.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hogama posted:

The fairies are basically "what if we made carbuncles that could learn?" Their aetheric essence is stored in the Scholar soul crystals, and they have their own memories and such. Most of the rest of Scholar abilities are just using STRATEGY really hard, like you shout at everyone to walk it off and they do.
Oh, so they're like scripted carbuncles? Does this mean Alphinaud has some kind of bullshit custom job now? I'm assuming his carbs are above him in the Scion org chart.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Nessus posted:

Oh, so they're like scripted carbuncles? Does this mean Alphinaud has some kind of bullshit custom job now? I'm assuming his carbs are above him in the Scion org chart.

Alph's more like that 'what do you mean i can't use titanium for an earth elemental, it's right there on the table of elements!' dude.

Only with gemstones instead of elements.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

I can’t wait for the stage show, where Yoshi will ritually execute the localizer who accidentally leaked Hrothgar.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Bleu posted:

I can’t wait for the stage show, where Yoshi will ritually execute the localizer who accidentally leaked Hrothgar.

He should at least decapitate a baguette.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

jokes posted:

MCH is fun to figure out but it's loving obnoxious once you figure it out and have to do that consistently.

Some other goon mentioned that wildfire is the source of all the MCH's troubles and I agree with that sentiment. It seems like there could have been cool stuff with the wildfire system and cool stuff with the gauss barrel/attachments. I had a passing fancy that they'd implement Edgar (FF6)'s tools in a cool way.

I like the animations though.

Wildfire is absolutely not that bad and it's still not out of line with the execution requirements of any other burst window class in this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hogama posted:

I really wish SCH could use carbuncles like SMN can. Those little guys are adorable and I think getting to run around healing with a carbuncle would make me play SCH more all on its own.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nessus posted:

No. Scholars are the magical discipline of Nym, and Nym were like

The only non-assholes involved in the War of the Magi. They were just minding their own loving business when Amdapor and Mhach ruined everything for everyone.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like the Scholar lore. Nym wasn't a powerhouse like Ampador or Mhach but they could hold their own thanks to the Scholars. A single Scholar could support a whole unit of Marauders. Basically super military officers.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Just in time for me to change statics too. :smith:

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Karasu Tengu posted:

Wildfire is absolutely not that bad and it's still not out of line with the execution requirements of any other burst window class in this game.

I’m beginning to wonder if it’s actually rapid fire being the prime offender for finickiness in MCH rotation.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Just in time for me to change statics too. :smith:

Grats!
Sucks about having to change statics, though :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only real issues I have with Scholar lore are the same as the ones I have with Summoners: because they share a base job, it feels like each one has a set of abilities that don't really mesh with what their "main" thing is in lore.

For the Scholars, I always felt like the faeries were sort of tacked on because you need something to summon, since you had a summon as an Arcanist. The core Scholar lore is about these military officers who can heal and empower their allies with magical combat tactics, but there's this side aspect where they also form magical pacts with faeries who use fae magic to heal people. Those feel like two separate jobs to me.

Meanwhile, Summoners are all about summoning manifestations of primals, these often elemental-themed beings powered by faith and worship, but their main spells are all really disease-themed. It doesn't really mesh for me. A lot of their post-ARR development has to do with tapping more and more into the power of primals, especially Bahamut, but outside of that, the spells cast by the Summoner themselves are all about disease and corruption. I get it from a gameplay standpoint--a lot of MMOs have their pet class also be a DoT class--it just feels weirdly dissonant from an aesthetic/in-universe standpoint. If they just replaced Bio, Miasma, and Fester with elemental-themed spells that do the same thing (like a fire DoT, an earth DoT, and some kind of "elemental flare-up" thing) I think it'd fit a lot better, though obviously that's a bunch of work that's totally unnecessary and is probably a waste of time. (Fire and earth DoTs specifically because those are elements nobody else uses for DoTs.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

The only real issues I have with Scholar lore are the same as the ones I have with Summoners: because they share a base job, it feels like each one has a set of abilities that don't really mesh with what their "main" thing is in lore.

For the Scholars, I always felt like the faeries were sort of tacked on because you need something to summon, since you had a summon as an Arcanist. The core Scholar lore is about these military officers who can heal and empower their allies with magical combat tactics, but there's this side aspect where they also form magical pacts with faeries who use fae magic to heal people. Those feel like two separate jobs to me.

Meanwhile, Summoners are all about summoning manifestations of primals, these often elemental-themed beings powered by faith and worship, but their main spells are all really disease-themed. It doesn't really mesh for me. A lot of their post-ARR development has to do with tapping more and more into the power of primals, especially Bahamut, but outside of that, the spells cast by the Summoner themselves are all about disease and corruption. I get it from a gameplay standpoint--a lot of MMOs have their pet class also be a DoT class--it just feels weirdly dissonant from an aesthetic/in-universe standpoint. If they just replaced Bio, Miasma, and Fester with elemental-themed spells that do the same thing (like a fire DoT, an earth DoT, and some kind of "elemental flare-up" thing) I think it'd fit a lot better, though obviously that's a bunch of work that's totally unnecessary and is probably a waste of time. (Fire and earth DoTs specifically because those are elements nobody else uses for DoTs.)

It only gets weirder when you consider the origins and fluff of the Arcanist class: they use the magic of mathematics and arcane glyphs, a form of magic that originated in the current era among the navigators of sailing ships. You'd think that would lend Arcanists to being masters of water and wind magic, or maybe having some sort of system involving magic runes, but there's nothing of the sort. You can sorta see where Scholars might be an evolution of arcanima, but Summoners have nothing to do with them conceptually.

If anything, astrologians feel like they should be the arcanist's job evolution and would have been easy enough to fluff as coming from the same source - making the leap from celestial navigation to harnessing the power of the stars, mainly to foresee the future.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
They really need to decouple SCH and SMN at some point.

And SMN really needs to stop being "Poison Wizard".

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I do kind of wonder if NG+ is laying the ground work so they can revamp low-level content (or do things like decouple SCH and SMN) and give players an easy way to play it without re-rolling.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'd be happier if it was a summoner before 70, though, instead of just a weird pet class. Most of the time FF summoners summon a deity that does one big hit and fucks off. Basically, the 70 Bahamut summon is more what I was hoping for with SMN.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm sure the dev team would love to split SCH and SMN, but I'm also sure the game would fall apart at the seams if they did. Too much spaghetti.

Givin posted:

Been really curious about class reworks coming up and I wonder if they will try to simplify rotations and stuff. I don't know why, but I just can't wrap my head around 70 DPS rotations on almost every class besides NIN. Doesn't help that I really want to play MCH so bad but well, ya know.

Main reason that I tank most of the time. Life is simple here.

I'm almost scared if they even try it. I just remember the PVP culling revamp and while I enjoyed it personally, I remember people losing their poo poo over it in a big way.

I imagine they will. Most jobs got some stuff boiled down for Stormblood. They recognize the button bloat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why? On both counts. They don't even share anything beyond a couple oGCDs anymore, and I imagine some people like playing a dot wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
You'll finally get the 'real summoner' class feel when they add puppet master in a few expansions