Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Minidust posted:

Huh so they beamed Scotty & Geordi out with the shields up? Surprised my adolescent nerd brain didn’t pounce on that at the time.

The show has always been inconsistent with this. My read is that ‘everyone knows you can’t beam when shields are up’ but like a lot of real life stuff there’s loopholes if you finagle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's a federation ship, they just need to transfer the shield frequency to the Enterprise. To two super-engineers this was so obvious they didn't even bother to say it, they just did it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
With all the times they've beamed people off of exploding ships it's a wonder they don't end up with more half-disintegrated, frozen or on-fire people in the transporter room.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I always wondered why you couldn't use a warp field to just make photon torpedoes and phasers pass completely around your ship

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I always wondered why you couldn't use a warp field to just make photon torpedoes and phasers pass completely around your ship

*looks at you, waits a beat*

Warp particles!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The shield bubbles in TNG looked good and the effect of them being useless in Generations looked even better, which makes the lovely shield bubble in First Contact look even worse, by comparison. What the gently caress happened?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CPColin posted:

The shield bubbles in TNG looked good and the effect of them being useless in Generations looked even better, which makes the lovely shield bubble in First Contact look even worse, by comparison. What the gently caress happened?

I just went to have a look, and god, shots like this of the D that they were never able to pull off on the TV show.

https://i.imgur.com/R3tZXoF.mp4

Such a pity we only got one movie of it, just as effects were getting more ambitious.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 10, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jeeves posted:

I mean cheaper as in the effect looks fukken cheaper.

I dunno. We also saw skin-hugging shields in DS9 and I feel like the shields hugging the skin allowed for VFX artists to just insert a stock explosion clip over the impact site. Was that hit an actual hull breach or did it just bounce harmlessly off the shields? You can't tell! That looks cheaper to me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Warp fields don't quite work that way, otherwise they wouldn't need navigational deflectors. Also they wouldn't be able to scan or sense anything outside the warp field.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I just went to have a look, and god, shots like this of the D that they were never able to pull off on the TV show.

https://i.imgur.com/R3tZXoF.mp4

Such a pity we only got one movie of it, just as effects were getting more ambitious.

When you insist on using manual aim to show off your l337 noscope skillz

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Trashing the D because it wasn't cool enough for action movies is just such a shity loving

I mean

Arrgh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate the E. I don't think the design is that great, it's too sharp and pointy and aggressive looking, but I mostly just associate it with how bad the TNG movies were. The E perfectly captures the switch away from the well lit more cerebral stories of the show to the darkly lit scifi action-adventure of the garbage movies.

TNG sets were all good, there was no need to trash it all to make worse looking hallways and a horrible bridge then hide it all with dim mood lighting.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I love the Enterprise-E. One of my favourite ship designs, alongside the Reliant and the Defiant.

Unfortunately I lost my model Reliant a while ago. :smith:

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Phylodox posted:

I love the Enterprise-E. One of my favourite ship designs, alongside the Reliant and the Defiant.

Unfortunately I lost my model Reliant a while ago. :smith:

If you get a model of the USS Yeager you'll have the perfect trifecta of ugly Star Trek ships

also the Borg peanut

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Old Story posted:

If you get a model of the USS Yeager you'll have the perfect trifecta of ugly Star Trek ships

also the Borg peanut

Wait just a drat minute. The Defiant isn't ugly, she's the best ship design to come out of any of the 90's Trek shows.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I submit that the Defiant, while cool, is indeed ugly

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I love that they were like "eh gently caress it" when it came to ship scales in that movie. The Defiant looks 15 feet across compared to the lovely Enterprise E.

E stands for Eaves. gently caress Eaves.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Old Story posted:

also the Borg peanut

Lol it still throws me when I see TNG pinball and it features none other than that weird rear end Descent ship right in your face

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'd still take 90's Eaves over whatever computer AI is designing the ships for Discovery.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno. We also saw skin-hugging shields in DS9 and I feel like the shields hugging the skin allowed for VFX artists to just insert a stock explosion clip over the impact site. Was that hit an actual hull breach or did it just bounce harmlessly off the shields? You can't tell! That looks cheaper to me.

Bubble shields were cheaper in the sense that they didn't even have to think things through that far, external damage was almost non-existent before they moved more towards CG animation. Apart from rare exceptions or custom made models for special story reasons, before CG ships were usually spotless or blown up with no inbetween.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Thom12255 posted:

I'd still take 90's Eaves over whatever computer AI is designing the ships for Discovery.

Uh well it was John Eaves who designed the Discovery, Shenzhou, and new Enterprise
:laugh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Old Story posted:

Yes and I think that was the point considering that it was just built to be a frame for a bunch of guns

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I hate the E. I don't think the design is that great, it's too sharp and pointy and aggressive looking, but I mostly just associate it with how bad the TNG movies were. The E perfectly captures the switch away from the well lit more cerebral stories of the show to the darkly lit scifi action-adventure of the garbage movies.

TNG sets were all good, there was no need to trash it all to make worse looking hallways and a horrible bridge then hide it all with dim mood lighting.

This gets a hearty :hai: from me.

Remember these?

:sigh: What could have been.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

McSpanky posted:

Remember these?

:captainpop:

oh my god

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I think you mean "SWEET JESUS"

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Old Story posted:

It's the A-10 of Starfleet, ugly but in a supremely cool way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baronjutter posted:

I've said this before, but if they'd still had the Enterprise-D for First Contact, it would have been to the movie's benefit. Seeing the old familiar well-loved Ent-D get slowly assimilated piece by piece, and finally abandoned with the self-destruct activated, would have had so much more punch than having it happen to a brand-new different ship we'd never seen before and didn't really give a poo poo about yet.

Imagine an enraged Picard smashing that familiar wall of Enterprise models that we'd been seeing in the conference room for years, instead of a new set of models that looked totally different.

And yes, I know the Enterprise-D sets had to get torn down and rebuilt into the Voyager sets. I can still dream.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

On the other hand let's not pretend the D is attractive at all except from certain select angles. Look how ungainly and off balance this looks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Enterprise E certainly was a lot cooler in in 1996 when I was 9 years old and oh poo poo they have quantum torpedoes now?! As I've gotten older it's flaws jump out at me more and while I feel it looked good in First Contact where the ship was mostly rendered with a fantastic minature, in the other movies it feels like a 90's action figure and does kind of represent where the franchise started going wrong.

The D on the other hand (lol) was part of the emotional heart of TNG and seeing our collective space living room get completely loving trashed is part of what made the crash in Generations so harrowing and well done, but starting the movies there just so they could get something "kewler" to pew pew around in was a huge mistake

Also I know I poo poo on Eaves a lot but I really feel like he would be better suited to drawing Transformers or something rather than starships at this point

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Wasn’t the E still a filming miniature in at least parts of Insurrection?

I’ve always thought the E was even more angle-dependent than the D and that’s why it always looked so flat and sharp. They should have shot it more from below and from aft like all the Refit and A hero shots in the TOS movies.

This is from an old Star Trek Magazine article and it kinda shows what I’m getting at:

See how much better it looks in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th sketches? Those angles actually give it height. Instead, the movies constantly shot it like the 3rd sketch, where the whole design just feels squashed and flat.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

On the other hand let's not pretend the D is attractive at all except from certain select angles. Look how ungainly and off balance this looks.

It's an ugly design that we only love through nostalgia

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spoeank posted:

It's ugly from a lot of angles the show avoids. I've watched with people new to Trek and they like it just fine.

It is indeed ugly from most angles, though. I agree with that

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

McSpanky posted:

Remember these?

the spacewalking on the hull scene would have taken 3x as long

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Powered Descent posted:

I've said this before, but if they'd still had the Enterprise-D for First Contact, it would have been to the movie's benefit. Seeing the old familiar well-loved Ent-D get slowly assimilated piece by piece, and finally abandoned with the self-destruct activated, would have had so much more punch than having it happen to a brand-new different ship we'd never seen before and didn't really give a poo poo about yet.

Imagine an enraged Picard smashing that familiar wall of Enterprise models that we'd been seeing in the conference room for years, instead of a new set of models that looked totally different.

And yes, I know the Enterprise-D sets had to get torn down and rebuilt into the Voyager sets. I can still dream.

I basically had almost exactly this post typed out before I read yours.
Having zero attachment or ability to even see what anything looked like due to the dim "cinematic" lighting made the borgification of the E have no emotional weight. It should have been the D and that should have been the movie where the D was finally destroyed.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

the spacewalking on the hull scene would have taken 3x as long

The deflector battle would've looked awesome. Sadly beyond their ability to film, though. (That's why the Enterprise-E has such a lame deflector, so it was something they could build a set for. Although even that was only at something like 60% scale)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spoeank posted:

It's gorgeous design with a few bad angles.

(Also it's damaged by the fact that most of the footage of it was the lovely 4-footer which lacks the curves and delicate details that make the whole thing work)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The saucer is really...weirdly squashed. I don't think I realised that when I was first watching it but now I notice it all the time.
I think I'd seen it as a circle before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taear posted:

The saucer is really...weirdly squashed. I don't think I realised that when I was first watching it but now I notice it all the time.
I think I'd seen it as a circle before.

One of the initial top-down design concepts Probert had was to take all the circles of the original and turn them into ovals.

I think part of making it look more advanced by making the design look a little alien and organically curved was making sure nothing was too regular.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 11, 2019