Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Be careful with the deluge as it has a siren song that is very difficult to resist. If you start listening, its melody will haunt you until you inevitably buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

while the thread is talking sequencers: any recommendations for a polyphonic sequencer that quantizes real-time entry? my first synths was the volca fm and I find that kind of sequencer to be the most intuitive for making melodies that aren’t arpeggios/all of the same note length. I haven’t had much luck finding a stand-alone sequencer that works this way to run my analog synths, though maybe I just don’t know the right vocabulary/search terms. I have a keystep and a sq-1 which are both really great, but neither of those can easily create a sequence like “quarter-eighth-eighth-rest-half-rest-eighth-sixteenth-sixteenth” in real time, unless you’re really good with the rest and tie buttons on the keystep I guess. hope that makes sense!

Not snarking, but "pretty much the entire history of digital sequencers." Go grab a Roland MC-50 mk2 - usually had for under $100 - these were the workhorse, go-to sequencers throughout the eighties and nineties. Almost any sequenced music you've heard from that era used one. The whole "simple sequencer with sliders or knobs" like the SQ-1 was big in the seventies and only fairly recently (past 10 years) came back as a model that was being produced and marketed - everything between was digital sequencers that work like what you're describing.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

barbecue at the folks posted:

Yamaha QY-70 and 100 spring to mind, they're real fun (after a steep learning curve) and do real exotic quantising if needed. I'm currently running a rig of Volcas and a Microkorg with my QY70 over MIDI and find them strangely complementary. Next is coming the Proteus for the rompler strings, maybe...

I have a QY-100 and cosign all of this. The QY series is so strangely underrated if you're willing to buy into their basic concept and learn it. You can go nuts changing keys and triggering different chords and the whole thing will adapt your sequences. These sorts of "arranger" features have unfortunately been abandoned by "Serious Sequencers" but they are amazing creative tools.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Not snarking, but "pretty much the entire history of digital sequencers." Go grab a Roland MC-50 mk2 - usually had for under $100 - these were the workhorse, go-to sequencers throughout the eighties and nineties. Almost any sequenced music you've heard from that era used one. The whole "simple sequencer with sliders or knobs" like the SQ-1 was big in the seventies and only fairly recently (past 10 years) came back as a model that was being produced and marketed - everything between was digital sequencers that work like what you're describing.

yeah, I guess the analog resurgence has pushed those to the back a bit lol! thanks for this- it’s good to know I can grab something second hand that’s cheap and solid, and that it’s not something very specialized/niche I’m looking for

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I personally prefer composing relatively straightforwardly structured synthpop songs and the current fashion for old-timey no-frills sequencers has left me completely cold. Luckily the 1990s hardware is there to be had for cheap, the portable QY series even works on the go without fragile floppies! It's amazing fun for people like me who find DAWs disorienting and prefer purpose-built hardware for arranging a lot of stuff.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

while the thread is talking sequencers: any recommendations for a polyphonic sequencer that quantizes real-time entry? my first synths was the volca fm and I find that kind of sequencer to be the most intuitive for making melodies that aren’t arpeggios/all of the same note length. I haven’t had much luck finding a stand-alone sequencer that works this way to run my analog synths, though maybe I just don’t know the right vocabulary/search terms. I have a keystep and a sq-1 which are both really great, but neither of those can easily create a sequence like “quarter-eighth-eighth-rest-half-rest-eighth-sixteenth-sixteenth” in real time, unless you’re really good with the rest and tie buttons on the keystep I guess. hope that makes sense!

It's definitely on the higher end price-wise but the Digitakt is an excellent poly-sequencer and will quantize input. It also functions as an excellent drum machine as well.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

novation sl mk3

it's pretty much the keystep pro and has an amazing sequencer that's simple to use with 2 cv channels as well as 2 midi out ports and can sequence basically everything

it is pretty pricy but i picked one up and have been really happy making it the main controller of my setup

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Gringostar posted:

novation sl mk3

it's pretty much the keystep pro and has an amazing sequencer that's simple to use with 2 cv channels as well as 2 midi out ports and can sequence basically everything

it is pretty pricy but i picked one up and have been really happy making it the main controller of my setup

wow, that looks really really nice. I had been considering arturia's keylab mkII in the longer term, but this looks like it has it beat in basically every way (except maybe that chord storage on the grid of rubber pads that arturia was touting but I didn't deep dive into the novation's manual, so that could be there too). thanks!

e: AND the novation keeps the mod/pitch wheels in the right place even on the 61 key version! wowee

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
yeah, it's super nice

the pads you can setup to play chords or notes and they have polyphonic aftertouch, the step sequencer is super easy since you can record up to 8 notes per step per track and all you do is hold the corresponding pad and then hit which notes you want to play either in a group or individually, the knobs are loving amazing and each one shares an oled screen so you always know what they do and everything but the sliders feels great

the sliders are literally the only letdown on the thing tbqh. some people don't like that it sits on a big rubber pad that's tapered a bunch but that actually works perfectly for me since my desk is hacked ikea and it fits perfectly under my monitor shelf

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

So Math posted:

:frogsiren:Bonerjams the Next One:frogsiren:

here's what I've got so far, I know it's pretty lazy but it's intentional I'm completely devoid of creativity

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/elevator-jamz/s-dF688

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Nice and cozy. What are you wanting to do with it next?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
thanks

that's the thing, I have no idea what to do with it which is why I posted it. If I stay stuck, it can serve as my submission I guess

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ultra Carp
My newest piece of gear is a Volca FM. Watching Cuckoo's tutorial right now.
My oldest piece of gear is a Samick 5 string bass I bought back in 1995, but didn't actually start playing until late 2010, after I got into the devil's lettuce.

I think I can come up with something.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

im_sorry posted:

My newest piece of gear is a Volca FM. Watching Cuckoo's tutorial right now.
My oldest piece of gear is a Samick 5 string bass I bought back in 1995, but didn't actually start playing until late 2010, after I got into the devil's lettuce.

I think I can come up with something.

The Volca FM is great, but I personally wouldn’t bother trying to program it, as Cuckoo does in his vid, as it’s bastard fiddly.

Can 100% recommend downloading Dexed - it comes with 1000s of DX7 patches you can dump straight into the Volca.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Your Computer posted:

thanks

that's the thing, I have no idea what to do with it which is why I posted it. If I stay stuck, it can serve as my submission I guess
It's real chill, I like it. It's giving me a jazzy vibe, so you could lean on that and take a solo somewhere around the midpoint maybe?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I just downloaded a collection of vintage DX7 patches and pipe them into my Volca FM though the usual means. Learning to program FM is fun, but also time consuming, and the interface on the volca itself is just a small step up from the original.

Which reminds me: Does anyone here know is there a reason why a lot of cool DX7 patches sound very quiet in a Volca FM? Is there some setting I should be aware of, or is it just some incompatibility that can't be helped?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

barbecue at the folks posted:

I just downloaded a collection of vintage DX7 patches and pipe them into my Volca FM though the usual means. Learning to program FM is fun, but also time consuming, and the interface on the volca itself is just a small step up from the original.

Which reminds me: Does anyone here know is there a reason why a lot of cool DX7 patches sound very quiet in a Volca FM? Is there some setting I should be aware of, or is it just some incompatibility that can't be helped?

There is a glitch in how the Volca FM reads DX7 sysex. You may need to manually turn the operators back on in the edit menu, and resave the patch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

It's real chill, I like it. It's giving me a jazzy vibe, so you could lean on that and take a solo somewhere around the midpoint maybe?
you're assuming I have any idea whatsoever of what I'm doing :v:

I tried adding... something. It's probably not what you were thinking about but maybe it works?

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/department-jamz/s-q4ncm

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Your Computer posted:

I tried adding... something. It's probably not what you were thinking about but maybe it works?

This would probably loop super well and make great game menu/area music.

Nice job!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I was thinking something exactly like that, and I think you nailed it. The new section (usually called a bridge, I think?) gives a nice bit of contrast to the rest of the song and keeps the song moving forward. I really like your phrasing, too.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hell yeah, I feel like I'm about to take a test in Pilotwings.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This would probably loop super well and make great game menu/area music.

Nice job!

Siivola posted:

I was thinking something exactly like that, and I think you nailed it. The new section (usually called a bridge, I think?) gives a nice bit of contrast to the rest of the song and keeps the song moving forward. I really like your phrasing, too.
Aw, thanks! I don't know what phrasing means but I'm flattered anyway :kimchi:

So Math posted:

:frogsiren:Bonerjams the Next One:frogsiren:

:sax: I'll consider this my submission then: :sax:
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/department-jamz

I used my oldest purchase DCAM Synth Squad, with Amber on the strings, Strobe on the bass and Cypher on the keys, with my newest purchase EZdrummer on the, uh.. drums. In hindsight I realize this might be bending the rules a bit since DCAM is technically 3 synths, but I hope it's okay :ohdear: Since the combo of synth + drums is so generic I decided to do something in a style I've never done before and thought it would be funny to make some sort of synth bossa nova, though I guess it kinda ended up as being some cheesy game music after all.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I don't either, but I mean the way you group notes together and punctuate them with rests. It comes across as thought-out and tasteful.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Your Computer posted:

I looooove this :3:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

:toot: First submission! :toot:

Do you want your comment there to be in the liner notes?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
These challenges are basically the only time I finish a track so I'm happy everyone likes it! It was fun to dig out DCAM again too, I haven't used those synths in years and I sorta just default to Serum these days.

So Math posted:

:toot: First submission! :toot:

Do you want your comment there to be in the liner notes?
Nah, I don't think that's necessary. Might be nice to mention that it's DCAM + EZdrummer though, I know I'm interested in knowing what everyone else combined for their tracks too :3:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Yes. Yes, this is good.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Your Computer posted:

I used my oldest purchase DCAM Synth Squad, with Amber on the strings, Strobe on the bass and Cypher on the keys, with my newest purchase EZdrummer on the, uh.. drums. In hindsight I realize this might be bending the rules a bit since DCAM is technically 3 synths, but I hope it's okay :ohdear: Since the combo of synth + drums is so generic I decided to do something in a style I've never done before and thought it would be funny to make some sort of synth bossa nova, though I guess it kinda ended up as being some cheesy game music after all.

Holy poo poo yo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Your Computer posted:

Stolen for my helpdesk/support hold music, thanks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I think I'm gonna end up grabbing one of the Behringer 101 clones. Also, have you seen the Behringer Crave. Seems pretty killer for $199 if you're looking for a desktop monosynth with a nice sequencer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oldstench posted:

I think I'm gonna end up grabbing one of the Behringer 101 clones. Also, have you seen the Behringer Crave. Seems pretty killer for $199 if you're looking for a desktop monosynth with a nice sequencer.

Oh wow, I had no idea that was a thing. Seems insane for the price.

Cheap GOOD synths :3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Wait y’all missed the NAMM posts from a few weeks ago?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't see the Crave one, but drat that looks inviting. It's not out yet though, is it? I saw something that said Q4 2019.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

I didn't see the Crave one, but drat that looks inviting. It's not out yet though, is it? I saw something that said Q4 2019.

Just a random post saying it'll be in stock 8/19/2019 for some store in the UK.

Makes sense to space their products out because.. god drat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I think it’s also smart of them to be conservative with this since their last few synth rollouts have been plagued with delays and stock availability/preorder fulfillment issues and nobody wants to make “preordered x synth, got it 6 months after I was supposed to” an ongoing thing with Behringer launches.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Has anyone used UVI's Falcon extensively? I'm looking for a good sample manipulation synth that's close to what Alchemy was, and Falcon keeps getting mentioned.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 13, 2019

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
I'm curious what people think of the Maschine Mk. 3. I'm primarily a guitar player, but I've been doing electronic drums for decades, first with hardware drum machines, and then in Logic Pro itself. I've also been doing more with synth instruments in my work lately, and I've been running up against the limits of my patience with drawing everything in with a mouse. So I've been looking at MIDI controllers, and I've spent a few days playing around with the Komplete Start software suite from NI. I like it, though I've barely scratched the surface of it. And Maschine Mk. 3 (based on all the reviews and other videos I've seen) looks like the kind of device that would allow me to both do what I already want to do, and also open up all kinds of new possibilities, especially in regard to making my own samples and the like. So, I'm about 85% of the way convinced that it's the device for me. I'm just curious: what do you folks think of it? What might I have overlooked about the device?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Personally I’d go with Ableton + Push before getting something like Maschine.

Granted, I had a Maschine Mk 1 like 9 years ago but it sounds like the Ableton stuff would be more useful to you right now.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

El Miguel posted:

I'm curious what people think of the Maschine Mk. 3. I'm primarily a guitar player, but I've been doing electronic drums for decades, first with hardware drum machines, and then in Logic Pro itself. I've also been doing more with synth instruments in my work lately, and I've been running up against the limits of my patience with drawing everything in with a mouse. So I've been looking at MIDI controllers, and I've spent a few days playing around with the Komplete Start software suite from NI. I like it, though I've barely scratched the surface of it. And Maschine Mk. 3 (based on all the reviews and other videos I've seen) looks like the kind of device that would allow me to both do what I already want to do, and also open up all kinds of new possibilities, especially in regard to making my own samples and the like. So, I'm about 85% of the way convinced that it's the device for me. I'm just curious: what do you folks think of it? What might I have overlooked about the device?

What DAW are you using currently? If you are using Ableton, I would definitely take a look at the Push2 like EB suggested. I have the Push2 and absolutely love it as a MIDI controller, especially for drums. I know I have barely scratched the surface of its capabilities, but it is definitely the centerpiece of my workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think it’s also smart of them to be conservative with this since their last few synth rollouts have been plagued with delays and stock availability/preorder fulfillment issues and nobody wants to make “preordered x synth, got it 6 months after I was supposed to” an ongoing thing with Behringer launches.

Supposedly their Odyssey (why they wasted time and resources making this when the KARP exists and isn’t terribly expensive is beyond me) and VC340 are now in full production, which hopefully means my VC340 preorder should ship soon.

I’m still waiting for the 808 and the blue 101 clone to drop (I want a blue 101, not a big fan of red)