Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SiGmA_X posted:

Which basically rules out using Excel as the destination system, right?

If audit is testing it they’ll probably just watch you rerun the report with the same parameters or something. As long as there’s some way to backtrack from the end result to ensure the data is complete and accurate it’ll be fine

Unless your system is actively loving up you’re more likely to get deficiencies because your evidence of review is practically non existent. No I don’t care that you saved a loving meeting invite to support your primary management review control over revenue we went over this last year god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
If it was me and I knew something was being transferred from somewhere to excel I'd also have a reconciliation done where they compare screenshots of the source data to the excel file, sign it off and keep it on record with a separate preparer and reviewer.

Audit would probably still was to reperform it all but with the reconciliations being stored on file with screenshots of the source data at the time it sort of helps back up what you did even if later it turns out there is a minor difference or something.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
We just had a Sr analyst revoke their resignation. This person pushed off a huge B/S adjustment last month (involving 30k individual item valuation and 3yrs of transactions - a nightmare) because they were leaving... So I did it. Lucky person. Should be interesting having them not leave...

Kitchner posted:

If it was me and I knew something was being transferred from somewhere to excel I'd also have a reconciliation done where they compare screenshots of the source data to the excel file, sign it off and keep it on record with a separate preparer and reviewer.

Audit would probably still was to reperform it all but with the reconciliations being stored on file with screenshots of the source data at the time it sort of helps back up what you did even if later it turns out there is a minor difference or something.
This sounds like what our controls around Excel data is, largely. It involves a lot more validation than a script that runs without user input or ability to touch - read only directories and predefined FTP jobs and scripts. As internal corp actg, we do a selection of testing for full automated ETL vs individual reconciliation of each manual ETL. Those reconciliations are often basically automated out of Excel macros of course, with a human poking them from time to time.

We do this for some daily investment activity feeds that management refused to allow me and my info analyst counterpart to fully automate.... Busy work creation! (The info analyst is now retired - and the IT VP replaced them with a *PM* who can't write basic SQL, I'm much more of an info analyst..and I'm an accountant who self learned SQL because I work with databases as an analyst.../rant)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Any recommendations for an online college? I need two dumb classes still to get my dumb CPA credential for my dumb career choice.

I need Accounting Ethics and an additional 3 hours in Auditing.

Life is hell I've been an accountant for 10 years just give me the drat initials!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

19 o'clock posted:

Any recommendations for an online college? I need two dumb classes still to get my dumb CPA credential for my dumb career choice.

I need Accounting Ethics and an additional 3 hours in Auditing.

Life is hell I've been an accountant for 10 years just give me the drat initials!

If everyone couldn't pass again then my value for salary negotiation s would go down. Just go through your local CC. Unless you live in NY or CA with their ridiculous rules any class counts.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

If everyone couldn't pass again then my value for salary negotiation s would go down. Just go through your local CC. Unless you live in NY or CA with their ridiculous rules any class counts.

Nothing offered locally outside of the CU Boulder that will satisfy what I need, and they won't let me take the courses unless i'm a full-fledged masters student. Plus online I can take more flexibly and sooner, too. I figured ask here just in case and gonna rip off this band-aid ASAP so I can move on with life.

Barf. Hope y'all are doing well - noisy in the office today.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Check out Texas A&M Commerce, I've heard good things about their online accounting program (though no idea if you'll run into the same issues wrt having to be in the full-time program to register for anything)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

black.lion posted:

Check out Texas A&M Commerce, I've heard good things about their online accounting program (though no idea if you'll run into the same issues wrt having to be in the full-time program to register for anything)

Online seems to be infinitely flexible about anywhere I look - thanks for the recommendation! The big thing for CU Boulder is that being in-class obviously proves more restrictive to the university resource-wise.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

If you didn't hear the IRS released some clarification on 199a for rentals. They did not address the need for 1099s (not normally a request, but section 162 does require). Just a 250 hour test, you get a pass for 2018.

Edit: remember the final say in if you can take 199a on rentals is whatever court circuit you practice in, 9th (my circuit) has said a rental can rise to 162, 1 2 3 (east coast circuits) have said no (I believe).

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 23, 2019

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

If you didn't hear the IRS released some clarification on 199a for rentals. They did not address the need for 1099s (not normally a request, but section 162 does require). Just a 250 hour test, you get a pass for 2018.

Edit: remember the final say in if you can take 199a on rentals is whatever court circuit you practice in, 9th (my circuit) has said a rental can rise to 162, 1 2 3 (east coast circuits) have said no (I believe).

Every time I get annoyed filling out an audit checklist I’m going to read this post again and feel slightly better about my lot in life.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

Got a link for the 9th circuit? Checkpoint is nowhere near as handy as westlaw...

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Got a link for the 9th circuit? Checkpoint is nowhere near as handy as westlaw...

Sorry I didnt see this, look up Curphey V Commissioner. For triple net leases i would look for guidance with Union National Bank (8 AFTR 2d 5133) and PLR 8350008 both kind of agree that TNL's are a hard no. For alot of the east coast cases saying no I would refer to Grier V United States

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
common law supremacy

i've been doing some work in civil law countries, and literally identical sets of facts can get completely opposite rulings, and everyone's cool with that

pretty sure no less than 30% of Brazil's GDP is from legal fees. another 30% is from tax advisors

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Drink, be merry, be fat! Indulge in all of life's vices! Indulge the devil that exist within us all!

For next week, the dark times begin.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone know if section 125 cafeteria plan established in Long Island are added back to New York State Income. The ones made in New York City are, but I don't know about Long Island.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Fake news. You should see how the accounting units in Lawson 10 do it... They don't balance out!!

GAAP and management reporting package uploaded to the parent company on 2/28, hours clocked YTD as of EOB 3/1/19: 511.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

So I went from basically no one giving me a shot above AR/cash applications to the de facto accounting manager at a small immigration law firm. Helping make a difference, I guess.

It's basically all quickbooks based, but their 2018 books are a mess and aren't even closed. A consultant interviewed me and then bounced for another opportunity before I started. I guess he might take calls or swing by to give me some guidance, but lmao that's not going to happen. A CPA will be coming by every few weeks though.

The owner is a type A guy and came in hot with what he was looking to do within a couple hours of me being there. I vaguely recall CPA material so I tried to answer what we could do with the limited knowledge of their systems I had at the time.

They have like, owners drawings booked as expenses, several separate bank accounts with no rhyme or reason as to what they're used for, and some other stuff. This is exciting and nerve wracking. This isn't as high level stuff as you're all used to, I imagine, but a little help would be greatly appreciated.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

199a is a hot garbage fire.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

199a is a hot garbage fire.

Job security

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Simpsons Reference posted:

So I went from basically no one giving me a shot above AR/cash applications to the de facto accounting manager at a small immigration law firm. Helping make a difference, I guess.

It's basically all quickbooks based, but their 2018 books are a mess and aren't even closed. A consultant interviewed me and then bounced for another opportunity before I started. I guess he might take calls or swing by to give me some guidance, but lmao that's not going to happen. A CPA will be coming by every few weeks though.

The owner is a type A guy and came in hot with what he was looking to do within a couple hours of me being there. I vaguely recall CPA material so I tried to answer what we could do with the limited knowledge of their systems I had at the time.

They have like, owners drawings booked as expenses, several separate bank accounts with no rhyme or reason as to what they're used for, and some other stuff. This is exciting and nerve wracking. This isn't as high level stuff as you're all used to, I imagine, but a little help would be greatly appreciated.

When I started my first job out of college I was dropped into a similar question. The company in question owned several dozen subsidiaries that were separate entities with common ownership. So there were about 50+ individual QB companies set up that you constantly had to switch back and forth from. On top of that, before I got there they had tried to fill the book keeping position with a sort of "intern to hire" role meaning the previous book keepers were students who worked there part time and then left as soon as they got their degree.

The books were such a mess, like you're saying, distributions/contributes booked on the income statement, loans between properties double booked under different names, bank recs had random adjustments just to fill a plug... And since there were 50+ ledgers to look at, try and guess how many times one entry is booked on one entity and the 2nd contributing entity has nothing? (Hint: everytime)

So I feel you my dude.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
gently caress this job y’all.

Don’t let anyone tell you tax is a good idea.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

gently caress this job y’all.

Don’t let anyone tell you tax is a good idea.

I feel ya this busy season has been worst in a long time.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Five weeks and change m8s, we can do it! :black101:

A Ceiling Fan
Aug 18, 2018
Is it possible to get a decent job in accounting after entering as a non-traditional student? Boyfriend is looking into going for a BS at 27, planning on graduation at 30/31. Is accounting one of the fields where finding employment/climbing the ladder is significantly more difficult if you didn't graduate by 22/23?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There's a bunch of grade 13 Internal Revenue Agent positions open right now for the IRS's Large Business and International division. One of the few jobs that will hire off the street at that grade level (minimum starting salary $87,252 or more depending on area). If you have business tax experience and are tired of busy season, check it out.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

A Ceiling Fan posted:

Is it possible to get a decent job in accounting after entering as a non-traditional student? Boyfriend is looking into going for a BS at 27, planning on graduation at 30/31. Is accounting one of the fields where finding employment/climbing the ladder is significantly more difficult if you didn't graduate by 22/23?

Nah, 30/31 isn't a problem. The only gate keeping is most firms hire through internships, but they are paid and recruit based on class year, not age. That said, I was able to get a job without an internship, just had to work a little harder. I was 31 when I started working at an accounting firm. Similar to your boyfriend, I went back to grad school at 27 and ended up in tax. My career has been fine working in public.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Also, mid-tier/national firms absolutely hire people that had their first legal drink in the 90s as opposed to last year.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

So this company booked about 2.4 mil in revenue in 2017. For every contract, an invoice for the entire amount was generated, creating a receivable. They only received around 50% of that in payments.

Bad debt expense booked? $8,700

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
I'm choosing to believe that that company is a US hospital, and for the sake of my sanity please do not correct my belief.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
A hospital...for ants?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I got out of the game last year. I have to say that watching the Big 4 busy season go by from the other side of the glass is amazing.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

A Ceiling Fan posted:

I graduated at 28, landed an accounting job at a midsize (3bn rev, 30bn assets) financial services company. I’ve been here five years and doubled my salary and multiplied my knowledge many many times over. It can work well.

What did your boyfriend do career wise before going back to school?

Simpsons Reference posted:

So this company booked about 2.4 mil in revenue in 2017. For every contract, an invoice for the entire amount was generated, creating a receivable. They only received around 50% of that in payments.

Bad debt expense booked? $8,700
Hey I helped liquidate a company that did that poo poo a few years back!

Democratic Pirate posted:

I got out of the game last year. I have to say that watching the Big 4 busy season go by from the other side of the glass is amazing.
Our firm didn’t work much more than my team this year. Year end was brutal...

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

incels interlinked posted:

There's a bunch of grade 13 Internal Revenue Agent positions open right now for the IRS's Large Business and International division. One of the few jobs that will hire off the street at that grade level (minimum starting salary $87,252 or more depending on area). If you have business tax experience and are tired of busy season, check it out.

What would you say the odds are for a qualified external candidate (non-veteran) for one of these jobs? I’d prefer not to relocate, so realistically I’m competing for a handful of spots that internals also want. I may also be overestimating the number of people who will even apply!

What happens if I get a spot from the SB/SE posting and then one or two months later get a spot in LB&I? I’d be lucky to have that choice, but it’s frustrating that all of these postings are on different timelines.

I think I need to accept that getting in is more important than getting the perfect role immediately, but they keep adding jobs that are potentially better fits on different interview schedules. I don’t want to piss anyone off, but also don’t want to decline opportunities given how random this process can be.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hey everyone.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks.

A Ceiling Fan
Aug 18, 2018
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

SiGmA_X posted:

I graduated at 28, landed an accounting job at a midsize (3bn rev, 30bn assets) financial services company. I’ve been here five years and doubled my salary and multiplied my knowledge many many times over. It can work well.

What did your boyfriend do career wise before going back to school?

Automotive Tech with a focus on electrical systems, so it probably can't be spun as applicable job experience.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

"Alright, so one major concern is that you have over 2.4 million currently sitting in AR over 90 days old, so you might wan- what's that? You're cash basis?"

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I hate everything and everyone. Especially this job and myself

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

A Ceiling Fan posted:

Automotive Tech with a focus on electrical systems, so it probably can't be spun as applicable job experience.
It won't be "applicable" but its surely something to use. I was also an automotive tech before getting disabled and going back to school. All of my bosses have thought it was excellent experience, as it shows ability to do other technical specialized stuff. Most people understand cars are complex systems and it takes a good amount of critical thinking to do diagnostics. When he talks about his previous career in interviews, lean in to technical diagnostics.

We've had a couple first/second year audit associated from our two big4 firms (bought out & changed firms in 2016) who were late 20s also, so I don't think early 30s is too old to go the traditional path. I went straight to corporate and I wish I did big4, but I don't think I'd like it in my early 30s. 60-70hr weeks beat me up more than I'd like to admit at 32, and our engagement associates work more than that.

You guys probably have friends at some corporation that has a local accounting dept and could pass a resume along for an entry level position when he graduates, too. Connections are a great way in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mush Mushi posted:

What would you say the odds are for a qualified external candidate (non-veteran) for one of these jobs? I’d prefer not to relocate, so realistically I’m competing for a handful of spots that internals also want. I may also be overestimating the number of people who will even apply!

What happens if I get a spot from the SB/SE posting and then one or two months later get a spot in LB&I? I’d be lucky to have that choice, but it’s frustrating that all of these postings are on different timelines.

I think I need to accept that getting in is more important than getting the perfect role immediately, but they keep adding jobs that are potentially better fits on different interview schedules. I don’t want to piss anyone off, but also don’t want to decline opportunities given how random this process can be.

Depends on qualifications, if you have a lot of relevant corporate and/or international experience you could be more qualified than some of the internal hires.

I think if you get hired with SB/SE you can take the LB&I job later. IIRC some people did this around 2010 since the SB/SE job starts around grade 7 or 9 and the LB&I is 13, they applied as an external hire and got it. In this budget environment it takes a long time to get to a 13 in SB/SE so the LB&I job is much more attractive IMO.

I'd just apply to anything you think you might be interested in and see what happens, if you are lucky enough to get 2 offers hopefully they will work with you on the timeline.