Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Whalley posted:

Cast Doomtrain on him first (or use something to give him Blind, he's susceptible to it). After that, just use GFs to tank the megaflare damage, make sure you've got Aura on all your characters, constantly limit cycle, and he's relatively easy.

Dude's weak to Ice too, if you need to drop spells/prioritize a damaging GF.

Where a place to level up GF skills fast without XP? I was almost done with the skill for Alexander to make Remedy + for Doomtrain, but died on Bahamut and lost all the stat gains I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cactaurs give you a ton of AP

They're in the desert or on cactuar island

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Help Im Alive posted:

Do people ever use the XII espers? I summoned Exodus a couple times and they seem OK in this version
They buffed Espers? What did they do to make them not suck? I always wanted to use them in the old version, but they were baaaaad.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Help Im Alive posted:

Cactaurs give you a ton of AP

They're in the desert or on cactuar island

Oh yeah I forgot to kill cactaurs. I ran into jumbo cactuar so quickly that I left the area without fighting any other enemies.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

They buffed Espers? What did they do to make them not suck? I always wanted to use them in the old version, but they were baaaaad.

You can actually tell them what to do now so you don't have to wait for arcane triggers to happen.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Doomtrain is the best summon around.

Final Fantasy needs more Doomtrain.

It’s a giant fuckoff train. It rules hard and I want to take him to work.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Scalding Coffee posted:

All around higher stats, HP etc. But the biggest thing being you can now fully control them including their summon attack.

Zodiark for example deals flat 60k ish damage. Zeromus deals over 100k

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Doomtrain is the best summon around.

Final Fantasy needs more Doomtrain.

It’s a giant fuckoff train. It rules hard and I want to take him to work.

Doomtrain should had the theme song that Red Chocobo got in FF13-2. Just replace some of the lyrics with the stuff Selphie says about trains.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Rirse posted:

Doomtrain should had the theme song that Red Chocobo got in FF13-2. Just replace some of the lyrics with the stuff Selphie says about trains.

Is Doomtrain in 14 yet? there might still be time

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

The only really important one in vanilla FF6 is Odin since he's permanently loseable if you transform him into Raiden and the only Esper which boosts speed which is a pretty useful stat.
Apparently in later versions you can get a Cactuar summon that has a better speed boost though.

Speed's not that useful, you need quite a bit to get any mileage out of it. Especially since the formula uses Speed + 20, so to double your base tick rate you need to gain like 30+ levels with Odin (and that's just for Strago). Better off just dropping Haste imo

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

aegof posted:

Phantom Train is. One of last tier's raid bosses. Plays the FF6 boss theme remixed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Selphie and Sabin would never get along.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Optimizing stat gains from espers is highly unnecessary. The game approaches a reasonable challenge if you refrain from getting any esper stat boosts at all. FF6 is not very demanding in terms of numbers.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah, the real power in FF6 honestly comes from equipment even moreso than magic. The shields and armor you can get in the game offer you so much defence (especially with some of the glitches in the original versions that make Magic Block the god-stat) that you don't need to optimise your base stats.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I did the FF6 Fiesta challenge without espers, and while it was tougher without magic, it not that bad without them. Then again I had Gau as one of my four, who is just busted if you actually take the time to use him.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Blitz, Tools, Throw, and Rage do make combat rather easy.

Not sure if they fixed it, but having too much magic could cause the numbers to roll over for strong spells.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Yeah, Final Fantasy games are mostly balanced around the player not knowing what they're doing with their characters so the second you start optimizing builds they become incredibly easy. And VI doesn't even really have the kind of optional superbosses that the later games (and V) have so you can just kinda do whatever.

I of course always optimize everything in all RPGs because I enjoy being a powergaming idiot (Ask me about getting your starter GFs to max level/skills with Seifer because his character exp doesn't carry over) and even I can't be bothered to micromanage Espers on levelups.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I love you Steve but please stop telling me how ff8 is the greatest romance ever told

He just wants to tell you about his ROMANTIC DREAM

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
snow suit take 28 damage from the final boss's physical attack that should be doing 1000+

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

FFIV is great so far.

Oh it's not loss :(

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yes it is. It is and you know it, you see it.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Mega64 posted:

Selphie and Sabin would never get along.

OTOH if you ask to hear the plan to capture Deling a second time Selphie suggests derailing the train instead of using a rocket launcher so maybe they would

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Scalding Coffee posted:

And the quickening/summoning bars have been separated from MP, so using a quickening or summon does not tank your MP anymore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
That's actually bad cause you could use an ether and then use another quickening

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh it's not loss :(

It is if you believe it is

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

aegof posted:

There is a line where some characters smuggle themselves into a base riding a "Doom Train"

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

Like I think the best thing about playing ff7 in 2019 is finding out how 20 years of hearing about how cloud, aeris, and tifa act is all completely wrong, like somehow they all got memed into the exact opposite characters then they actually are

Character design is way more important than personality when it comes to how characters are remembered, especially if the game in question is being played by a bunch of dumb kids who can't be bothered to read and pay attention to everything.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Just dove off the deep end and started FF8 for the first time ever. I just beat Ifrit and I have no idea how the Junction system works at all despite reading everything in all the forced tutorials. Help.

Also I'm playing the Steam version with a PS4 controller. How do I enable the high speed mode? I can't find it anywhere.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Just dove off the deep end and started FF8 for the first time ever. I just beat Ifrit and I have no idea how the Junction system works at all despite reading everything in all the forced tutorials. Help.

Also I'm playing the Steam version with a PS4 controller. How do I enable the high speed mode? I can't find it anywhere.

Junctioning is massively simpler than the game makes it sound; it is take spell, slap onto stat see bonus. Different kind of spells raise different stats more or less; healing magic for instance raises your HP total much better than offensive magic for example.

Quetzacoatl, who you have, learns a skill called card synthesis* (and I think also item synthesis, maybe its called refine I cant recall but youll want both). Learn that asap. Card lets you turn cards into spells and item does the same thing for items. Tents for instence turn into stacks of curagas and you can then junction a shitload of them to health for cheap and be set on HP for most of if not the entire game.

Enemies level up to match you, and will unlock more and better spells you can draw but your level growth cant meaningfully outpace theres and you can get all those good spells refining and cards and items into magic loooooooooong before enemies start dropping them.

At this point you may notice that fighting things seems sort of pointless since between items you buy and cards you win you can power up your characters far stronger than leveling ever will. Good news, youll get an item shortly called magic lamp. Using it puts you in a bossfight and your reward for winning is a new GF who can learn the skill enc-none which turns off all random battles. Boom youve broken the games difficulty and are on pace to wreck the game until the final dungeon.

Other pro tips: many bosses have GFs on them. Always draw from bosses, you cant miss drawing but if you dont draw the gf off them you wont have another chance at the gf till end game.

Your magic stat determines how many casts you draw from foes. If you want to draw magic off people at a non galacial rate youll want to boost your magic stat. This is important for the above as well because bosses tend to carry more poweful magic than regular encounters so it can be a good source of spells (like double early on) and youll want the most for you buck.

Limit breaks are a function of HP current versus total. If you are in yellow health just keep backing out of your turn over and over as that makes the game check again if it will give you a limit break. You may note this is pathetically easy if you 3k total HP at level 6 where enemies take off 40-50 HP a hit at most

*Might be called card refine, been ages since I played it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks.

I figured out high speed mode. It's F1. I bound it to left stick click.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK WTH. I originally junctioned all my espers to Squall, then once I got Zell in my party I moved 1 esper to him and going into the comm tower boss fight he has all the spells. Squall and Selphie can only attack. I beat it but it was down to the wire because Zell had to both summon and heal. Like, nobody else could even use potions. :wtc:

How do I make sure I know who has what spells and abilities? This feels like it shouldn't be this confusing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Before I give any advice, did you draw off the boss in dollet and take the GF it gives? If not youll want to redo the fight anyway

Edit: Heres the rest of the advice:

Every GF comes with so many skills including critical ones that control what stats they can junction stuff onto and what combat skills they give access to. When setting up your GFs you'll want to make sure that you've got the appropriate stat coverage although as you start drowning in GFs by mid game this will be less of an issue.

Without GFs equipped you can't do things like cast spells or draw so you want one GF on everyone at all times.

When you transfer GFs there is an option to transfer magic that pops up, most likely thats what you did and it results in all the magic spells on character 1 being moved to character 2. This is useful if you want to switch who is in your active party but not so useful when setting a character up for the first time. If you remove all GFs from someone though that magic flops off them entirely, so don't just remove all GFs when moving them around. Again, just make sure everybody has one GF at all times.

Don't rely on GF summon, and in fact you're best served not using that ability. While its pretty decent early game even in a low level run its usefullness tanks pretty hard and it leaves you stuck watching the cutscene which takes ages. It can, however, be useful to tank hits since your GF has a separate life-bar but this is going to be an edge case scenario you can ignore probably entirely.

At the end of the Dollet mission you will be chased. You can actually beat that boss but I recommend against doing it because a) you probably don't get the system well enough to do it as its not easy doing it blind b) the reward is miniscule and c) you miss out on what is probably the most remembered cutscene in the game

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 12, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Before I give any advice, did you draw off the boss in dollet and take the GF it gives? If not youll want to redo the fight anyway

Yes but I'm going to redo the fight anyway because I want to get this goofy system figured out before I stumble through the rest of the game.

It looks like every time you move an esper you have to do a bunch of explicit reconfigs on your peeps and that's annoying.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK WTH. I originally junctioned all my espers to Squall, then once I got Zell in my party I moved 1 esper to him and going into the comm tower boss fight he has all the spells. Squall and Selphie can only attack. I beat it but it was down to the wire because Zell had to both summon and heal. Like, nobody else could even use potions. :wtc:

How do I make sure I know who has what spells and abilities? This feels like it shouldn't be this confusing.

I havent played FFVIII in ages but apparently you simply unequipped all your GFs (or simply your abilities) from everyone but Zell. Just double check who has what when making changes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes but I'm going to redo the fight anyway because I want to get this goofy system figured out before I stumble through the rest of the game.

It looks like every time you move an esper you have to do a bunch of explicit reconfigs on your peeps and that's annoying.

If its any consolation immediately following Dollet is when the game opens up that you can take your time to break it over your knee. As long as you can power through Dollet you have all the time you could ever want to get yourself set.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When you reach Galbadia Garden, you'll want to be an average level of 20-30 and fight Cerberus, who you can draw triple from. Triple is a fantastic stat raising spell earlier on in the game. You'll never need to use them either because summoning Cerberus does it for you.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Alright I'll check a couple FAQs and gently caress around before I fight the comm tower boss again. I just want everyone to be able to do more than attack and more importantly know WHY.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

seiferguy posted:

When you reach Galbadia Garden, you'll want to be an average level of 20-30 and fight Cerberus, who you can draw triple from. Triple is a fantastic stat raising spell earlier on in the game. You'll never need to use them either because summoning Cerberus does it for you.

Odin always has triple if he wants it early, and double from Cerberus is good enough even if he comes in at around level 10 on average to carry him to more rsources of triple. No need to raise level at all, in fact, its slightly harder.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK so after reading a couple guides it looks like you always want to draw like crazy but never use any spells because that decreases the stat bonuses the drawn spells give?

That...... seems dumb. So you basically either attack or summon all the time? That seems boring.

And always use potions because healing spells are rare early on and they're good stat boosters?

And always boost your magic stat as high as possible at all times so that you can draw more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

seiferguy posted:

Is that the place with the room where you farm shockwave pulsar for Quistis?