Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here comes trouble!

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1105300768658243584

gently caress impeachment, go after all this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Crakkerjakk posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pickering_(judge)

First federal judge to be impeached and removed from office, with the people who wrote the Constitution mostly still in political office. Impeached for being a drunk (on the bench) and "unlawful rulings"

In the entire history of the United States, 19 federal officials have been impeached. It's never been common.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

facialimpediment posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here comes trouble!

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1105300768658243584

gently caress impeachment, go after all this poo poo

make sure to go after bon jovi for trying to buy them and move them to toronto, too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

If you think it's inevitable that the GOP will eventually see Trump as a liability then having all of their senators on the record trying to protect him is definitely worth more than an angry tweet

Not really; I don't think we have anything serious enough (for 2019) to do anything but give the GOP an out by saying "Well if we'd known about this (whatever comes to light a week after the trial) then of course we'd have voted differently!" Because that excuse will loving work.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Internet Wizard posted:

I remember Jennifer Government being pretty rad when I read it like ten years ago and now it would probably be terrifying

I hear that guy's new book is great, btw. He's written a fair number since then. I remember being more impressed with the ideas in Jennifer Government than the prose, but I'm told that has improved as well.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
This guy hit rock bottom and then pulled out the nuke powered diamond drill and went duh-eeep

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...s-ok-with-me%2F

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Reign Of Pain posted:

This guy hit rock bottom and then pulled out the nuke powered diamond drill and went duh-eeep

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...s-ok-with-me%2F

I mean that's probably the first actual good idea that he's mentioned so...

Get rid of DST entirely like AZ and some other places do, it loving sucks in the midwest when it's dark at 4:30 pm in the winter. Who really cares if it might be dark for a little while when you wake up?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I actually think impeachment is lovely because it doesn't actually punish crimes. It's just like the shittiest most difficult process to fire a person ever.

Much more effective at punishing a person for being a criminal idiot is for the house to use their subpoena power to basically make every Wednesday from now until the election a wikileaks-esque nightmare for Trump, but with real criminal consequences for anything illegal uncovered in that process for the people around Trump.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If you impeach him he can still be charged criminally. Why not both?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

as a parent: gently caress dst forever and gently caress trump for supporting it

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You actually want it to be dark earlier? That poo poo is depressing.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1105318782531264513?s=20 :tinfoil:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

as a parent: gently caress dst forever and gently caress trump for supporting it

I'm pretty sure he's referring, in his special brainwormed way, to the bill to keep the clocks where they are forever.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

DoktorLoken posted:

I mean that's probably the first actual good idea that he's mentioned so...

Get rid of DST entirely like AZ and some other places do, it loving sucks in the midwest when it's dark at 4:30 pm in the winter. Who really cares if it might be dark for a little while when you wake up?

I need to turn down my knee jerk reaction to poo poo when you put it that way. Its more about my objection to having to adjust to the time and change the 2 clocks I have than it's about which side of an hour is being saved/sacrificed or whatever.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

DoktorLoken posted:

If you impeach him he can still be charged criminally. Why not both?

Think about it this way.

When Clinton lost in 2016, a significant aspect of her loss was the lack of a comprehensive and positive message to resonate with voters. This was not entirely her fault—while Clinton wasn't a great candidate in many ways, she faced an uphill battle against a media apparatus that was obsessed with highlighting her flaws and carrying entire Trump rallies uncritically and unedited in order to support a horse race narrative. Everyone knew that Trump wanted to Build The Wall or Lock Her Up, but I doubt many people on this forum now could tell you what Clinton's policy proposals were.

The Democratic Party faces an uphill climb for 2020. While Trump is a garbage incumbent who will almost certainly lose, it's not just about him—it's about performing as well as possible in every district, in order to create the bluest House and Senate possible to help support the new President's agenda. To do that, Democrats will need a unified message that can resonate across a wide spectrum of voters, and a big part of finding that message is going to be the primaries that are about to start. The Democrats desperately want and need people talking about their candidates and policy proposals in the media and on the streets, so they can start building a wide base of support for 2020 as well as find out which messages resonate best with voters in the debates and the primary elections.

But the second the impeachment process begins, it will instantly suck all the air out of the room and become the biggest political story in the country—because, let's be honest, why wouldn't it? Every network will have on-air analysts talking 24/7 about what Trump has done, what he hasn't done, whether the Republicans will stick with him, and whether the Democrats can pull it off. And the problem for the Democrats is that they can't pull it off, not unless something truly damning and beyond the pale is released within Mueller's report or unearthed in a Congressional investigation. If it is, and Republicans indicate they'll support impeachment, then the Democrats can safely pull the trigger. But if they can't guarantee an impeachment vote, it's a win for the Republicans—because now, instead of the talk prior to the election being about Democratic candidates and policies, it's about how the Democrats once again failed to bring down Trump. It's demoralizing for the Democrats, strengthening for the Republicans, and a giant-rear end circus for the media at a truly awful time for the Democratic party.

Like Pelosi said, without bipartisan support impeachment just isn't worth it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Reign Of Pain posted:

I need to turn down my knee jerk reaction to poo poo when you put it that way. Its more about my objection to having to adjust to the time and change the 2 clocks I have than it's about which side of an hour is being saved/sacrificed or whatever.

It's archaic, but then most clocks just update themselves these days. Actually it might be interesting to adjust the time by 1hr/180 every day now that clocks can automatically do the work for us. Sunrise at the same time of day all year.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DoktorLoken posted:

You actually want it to be dark earlier? That poo poo is depressing.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1105318782531264513?s=20 :tinfoil:

I mean you survived the month leading up to DST changeover just fine

Also I have beef with DST because the Monday after a changeover I fell asleep on the highway and swerved into a ditch with my left front tire driving over the base of a lamp

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Eej posted:

I mean you survived the month leading up to DST changeover just fine

Also I have beef with DST because the Monday after a changeover I fell asleep on the highway and swerved into a ditch with my left front tire driving over the base of a lamp

You survive but it's also miserable and I would speculate leads to significant mental health issues with a lot of people (i.e. SAD, etc.) or people being more sedentary in winter.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're going by SAD then you want to stay on Standard Time because sunlight in the morning has more benefit than DST moving the hour of sunlight to the afternoon

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Think about it this way.

When Clinton lost in 2016, a significant aspect of her loss was the lack of a comprehensive and positive message to resonate with voters. This was not entirely her fault—while Clinton wasn't a great candidate in many ways, she faced an uphill battle against a media apparatus that was obsessed with highlighting her flaws and carrying entire Trump rallies uncritically and unedited in order to support a horse race narrative. Everyone knew that Trump wanted to Build The Wall or Lock Her Up, but I doubt many people on this forum now could tell you what Clinton's policy proposals were.

The Democratic Party faces an uphill climb for 2020. While Trump is a garbage incumbent who will almost certainly lose, it's not just about him—it's about performing as well as possible in every district, in order to create the bluest House and Senate possible to help support the new President's agenda. To do that, Democrats will need a unified message that can resonate across a wide spectrum of voters, and a big part of finding that message is going to be the primaries that are about to start. The Democrats desperately want and need people talking about their candidates and policy proposals in the media and on the streets, so they can start building a wide base of support for 2020 as well as find out which messages resonate best with voters in the debates and the primary elections.

But the second the impeachment process begins, it will instantly suck all the air out of the room and become the biggest political story in the country—because, let's be honest, why wouldn't it? Every network will have on-air analysts talking 24/7 about what Trump has done, what he hasn't done, whether the Republicans will stick with him, and whether the Democrats can pull it off. And the problem for the Democrats is that they can't pull it off, not unless something truly damning and beyond the pale is released within Mueller's report or unearthed in a Congressional investigation. If it is, and Republicans indicate they'll support impeachment, then the Democrats can safely pull the trigger. But if they can't guarantee an impeachment vote, it's a win for the Republicans—because now, instead of the talk prior to the election being about Democratic candidates and policies, it's about how the Democrats once again failed to bring down Trump. It's demoralizing for the Democrats, strengthening for the Republicans, and a giant-rear end circus for the media at a truly awful time for the Democratic party.

Like Pelosi said, without bipartisan support impeachment just isn't worth it.

I thought their unified message was it's too tough to change things so no sense trying , but vote for us because it means you're a better person than republicans

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

new kushner tell-all coming next week

quote:

According to "Kushner Inc.," Ivanka frequently asked to travel on Air Force planes when it was not always necessary. Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who was eventually fired in March 2018, rejected Ivanka's requests.
Ivanka reportedly found a work-around by inviting cabinet-level officials to the trip, The Times reported, citing the book.
Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, who himself was embroiled in scandal for reportedly wanting to use an $25,000-an-hour Air Force jet to travel to Europe for his honeymoon, was often invited by Ivanka and Jared in order to justify the trip.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is 25k an hour because of flight crew maintenence etc or is this some super swanky vip only airforce jet? I dont know how much your comparable civi jet would be to run.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Typically an aide would fly commercial. So a few grand if they get the swanky seats on a long flight, a few hundred bucks otherwise.

25k/hr is probably the standard operating cost average for the USAF's getting-a-bit-old fleet of VIP transports. Most/all of them are modified 757s (besides the president's planes), bought in the late 90s.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Good morning.

https://twitter.com/_pem_pem/status/1105128898134769664?s=21

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
What?

What?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I don't... what

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Heaven forbid the West Virginia Mountain Dew bottler sources local water.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Completely wrong. Fentanyl makes you skinny.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I hope those legislators who caved to Dow Chemical and the manufacturers association drink too much of their local water and get poisoned, just as they're willfully poisoning their goddamn citizens.

How the gently caress do you do that to your people? That's a willful disregard for human life. Jesus Christ.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Both sides are the same right????

quote:

During debate Tuesday morning, Del. Mike Pushkin, D-Kanawha, noted he represents the Chemical Valley, but jobs began to decline long ago, before the Obama administration set out to strengthen environmental protections.

"I think what we’re going to be left with is a high cancer rate and a high unemployment rate," he said.

quote:

Dels. John Shott, R-Mercer, and Geoff Foster, R-Putnam, stood in support of the bill, noting that the water quality provision was part of an overall rules bundle with numerous other provisions.

Brain damaged constituents are job security for Republicans, though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

psydude posted:

Completely wrong. Fentanyl makes you skinny.

especially true if you overdose and die.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

I hope those legislators who caved to Dow Chemical and the manufacturers association drink too much of their local water and get poisoned, just as they're willfully poisoning their goddamn citizens.

How the gently caress do you do that to your people? That's a willful disregard for human life. Jesus Christ.

West Virginia's political class mixes the dynasties of New England, with the corruption of New York, and the pride of Texas. The amount of self dealing in that state rivals that of the Trump administration, it just goes unnoticed because reporters from Cincinnati and DC don't feel like making the drive.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Reposting from the Comic Strip thread:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I drove my grandfather out to West Virginia to bury his brother a couple of years ago. That state is so goddamned depressing and sad. The people there have been utterly hosed over by industry and government for decades. Every single relative I met has buried multiple friends or family members due to drugs, cancer, or work-related illness. The only folks who seem to be well-off have (shocking) a union job or a pension.

I came away from that trip angry and depressed. I don't know how to fix it except try and recommend what my grandpa did- get the hell out and away for the cycle.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: wrong thread

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Late stage capitalism is amazing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

[citation needed]

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

Reposting from the Comic Strip thread:

I donated $50. Small price to pay for all the fun I’ve had over the years. Hope these forums kick around for a while, if not I’ll see y’all on Discord.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

e: thank you :)

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Erghh posted:

haven't kept up with a lot of the details of the Mueller investigation, but apparently the Blackwater/xe guy admitted to lying about a bunch of stuff in front of a live studio audience.

https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1104152592496570368

(the reactions are pretty entertaining anyway).

Gonna revive this one but Sean Mcfates face in the audience while watching this is priceless.