Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol if you're actually suggesting to ever use nano over vi

ln -sf $(which nano) $(which vi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
lol if you ever suggest to use vi as an IDE.

LochNessMonster posted:

Except nano isn’t available by default whereas vi almost always is.

Do you have any more of these bad opinions?

Exactly. Therefore vi should be used exactly as much as needed to enable the installation of nano. Configuration files, environment variables, whatever. Not more. Not less.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 9, 2019

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
:%s/nano apologists//g

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
vi fanbois

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

minato posted:

Pinentry will do all sorts of fuckery with the terminal, to the point where if I forgot to set the TTY just right using tmux, it would somehow manage to quit tmux, and then set my terminal into a state where I couldn't even run 'reset'. I don't even know how the hell it could do that.

(TLDR I fixed it by running "export GPG_TTY=$(tty)" before doing any operations that use Pinentry)

GPG is such a goddamn shitshow for usability, it really makes me hate cryptonerds.

Yeah. I trust the actual crypto part and it's not that I mind it being a bit clunky to use, but I don't trust it enough to actually accept the inputs/output keystrokes to come back in 6 months time and decrypt hentai a financial document successfully.

I'll use ccrypt or AEScrypt or something.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 9, 2019

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Vim is pretty great, sorry for offending anyone with this hot take.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
nano is fine when you're at home and drunk or something but I'd be legit embarrassed to fire it up at work or in front of anyone except maybe my cat.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Vim is great if it's what you started with. If you learned anything else first it's atrocious. Vim's usage concept is so alien to the competitors it's a huge hassle to switch. I been using it at work for years pretty exclusively and still regularly have to do an emergency bailout after trying to edit some file, because I don't even know what I tried to do with Vim by accident.

It would be interesting to try to come up with the most destructive word or sentence you could type by accident.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

lol if you're actually suggesting to ever use nano over vi

ln -sf $(which nano) $(which vi)

so why are you overwriting vi

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vulture Culture posted:

so why are you overwriting vi

Unrelated post, he was just demonstrating how non intuitive ln is.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RFC2324 posted:

Unrelated post, he was just demonstrating how non intuitive ln is.
It's much simpler to call add-name-to-file from your text editor of choice

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I had to use vim to do homework in a class once, I know enough how to move to where I want to write text, put text there, save and quit, or quit without saving. I usually default to nano and it's not because I think it's superior, but because if I used vim I'd be entering/exiting insert mode half a dozen times to make the same edits I'd do in nano. I'm never going to use it's scripting elements, so why bother.

This has been, "input from a person who is so coddled by graphical apps for his entire life that he owned an Apple IIGS with GSOS while everyone else had to make do with shell commands on less fancy computers like the IIc". Thank you and good night.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 9, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Craptacular! posted:

I had to use vim to do homework in a class once, I know enough how to move to where I want to write text, put text there, save and quit, or quit without saving. I usually default to nano and it's not because I think it's superior, but because if I used vim I'd be entering/exiting insert mode half a dozen times to make the same edits I'd do in nano. I'm never going to use it's scripting elements, so why bother.

This has been, "input from a person who is so coddled by graphical apps for his entire life that he owned an Apple IIGS with GSOS while everyone else had to make do with shell commands on less fancy computers like the IIc". Thank you and good night.

Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ti Kwan Leep.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Craptacular! posted:

You can do all kinds of cool poo poo to text when you're not in insert mode in VIM. And this is coming from someone who thinks hitting / to search for patterns is "advanced".

Use what you want, I get that VI/M can be a pita to pick up but I can say from firsthand experience that it's worth learning.

I wish there was a nice cheat sheet I could tape to the side of my monitor but they're all gigantic.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Matt Zerella posted:

You can do all kinds of cool poo poo to text when you're not in insert mode in VIM. And this is coming from someone who thinks hitting / to search for patterns is "advanced".

Use what you want, I get that VI/M can be a pita to pick up but I can say from firsthand experience that it's worth learning.

I wish there was a nice cheat sheet I could tape to the side of my monitor but they're all gigantic.

i suddenly want a wall sized vim reference chart to put up at work

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Matt Zerella posted:

Okay, this is not at all what you asked for, but it fulfills the same need and takes up the same size of space you're looking for. WASD Keyboards offers a keyboard that can come with caps that have VIM shortcuts printed right on them.

Edit: If you want a printed cheat sheet, look here.

And if you're serious about the poster, look here.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 10, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

G-Prime posted:

hell yeah, cube decor ahoy :hfive:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

G-Prime posted:

Okay, this is not at all what you asked for, but it fulfills the same need and takes up the same size of space you're looking for. WASD Keyboards offers a keyboard that can come with caps that have VIM shortcuts printed right on them.

Edit: If you want a printed cheat sheet, look here.

Thank you!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Don’t use vimcheetsheat to but that poster. Heard it never ships.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

There's a "belt 'n braces" feeling I get when I'm closing a document in Vim that I don't get when I use nano/pico.

When you've been using it for a while and you slap those keys to close and save, using only subconscious muscle-memory... you know that fucker's been saved good!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

apropos man posted:

There's a "belt 'n braces" feeling I get when I'm closing a document in Vim that I don't get when I use nano/pico.

When you've been using it for a while and you slap those keys to close and save, using only subconscious muscle-memory... you know that fucker's been saved good!

especially once you have dealt with its large variety of save errors, and know that a success is a success

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

especially once you have dealt with its large variety of save errors, and know that a success is a success

The only save error I usually get is when I forget to sudo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The only save error I usually get is when I forget to sudo.

Thats the most common one, but I have gotten other odd errors that turned out to be related to file locking

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just use a Vim mug. Coffee AND cheatsheet. Representative sample.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

ewe2 posted:

I just use a Vim mug. Coffee AND cheatsheet. Representative sample.

vim 2019-secret_santa_list.txt

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

apropos man posted:

goddamn ain't that the truth

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
VS Code is the superior text editor.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
VS Code is closer to an IDE than vim will ever be, regardless how many volumes of cheat-sheets vim requires for half-competent usage.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I know how to use vim.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I literally just use my brain to remember the keys because I use it as a text editor 1000x a day.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

An Enormous Boner posted:

I literally just use my brain to remember the keys because I use it as a text editor 1000x a day.

I want to emptyquote this, but I'm not going to.

Volguus posted:

VS Code is closer to an IDE than vim will ever be, regardless how many volumes of cheat-sheets vim requires for half-competent usage.

Not everybody needs or wants an IDE to work in. I like having vim with my plugins that give me a nice file tree, simple syntax highlighting, linting on file save, etc. I don't need those things to work in vim, but I do like them. I don't need it to forcefully generate gradle scripts or abstract away compilation. I don't need it to have an integrated debugger. I, for one, like having knowledge of the base toolkit I need to work with, rather than learning something that wraps and hides it so I don't have to. If the IDE fails and all you've learned is how to work with the IDE, you're up a creek without a paddle. If you use the underlying tooling yourself, the IDE is icing on the cake, but the majority of people don't learn that. They learn the IDE.

Also, ever had to do any kind of editing over SSH? Show me how you're going to use VS Code in a remote terminal over a lovely connection. Hell, show me a Linux distro with VS Code preinstalled.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

G-Prime posted:

Also, ever had to do any kind of editing over SSH? Show me how you're going to use VS Code in a remote terminal over a lovely connection.

sshfs

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What if different tools are good for different things, and you use them for the thing they're good at

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Beat me to it.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

I’ve never had to write code in a terminal, edit configs sure, but just the basics of Vi :wq and /search will get the job done.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

G-Prime posted:

I want to emptyquote this, but I'm not going to.

Not everybody needs or wants an IDE to work in. I like having vim with my plugins that give me a nice file tree, simple syntax highlighting, linting on file save, etc. I don't need those things to work in vim, but I do like them. I don't need it to forcefully generate gradle scripts or abstract away compilation. I don't need it to have an integrated debugger. I, for one, like having knowledge of the base toolkit I need to work with, rather than learning something that wraps and hides it so I don't have to. If the IDE fails and all you've learned is how to work with the IDE, you're up a creek without a paddle. If you use the underlying tooling yourself, the IDE is icing on the cake, but the majority of people don't learn that. They learn the IDE.

Also, ever had to do any kind of editing over SSH? Show me how you're going to use VS Code in a remote terminal over a lovely connection. Hell, show me a Linux distro with VS Code preinstalled.

Oh, but honey, using vim as an IDE is the entire point of the last 2 pages of wonderful posts. Exhibit 1:

Woof Blitzer posted:

I don't think anyone uses nano as an IDE.
Well, for most. For some, there is also the shame of being seen using an inferior text editor. Their peers apparently would think less of them should they be caught red-handed. Obviously only a lower caste developer /administrator would go and pick the simplest and most suited tool for the job they have in front of them.
So, what do you get? 1 full page of cheat-sheet pictures and links to cheat-sheets to attach in their cubicles so that they all can feel competent while using vim in front of their peers while changing a letter in a properties file. In 15 years they've memorized most of the shortcuts and then, oh boy, will they be productive. Just you see.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Emacs has tetris.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I felt accomplished when I used cut and paste in vi to fix a conf file on a server I wasn’t responsible for. :downs:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

bigperm posted:

Emacs has tetris.

It's easier to list the things that Emacs doesn't have. One guy even made a Gameboy emulator, because why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

sshfs is awesome and I love it. The 3 separate occasions over the last few years where I've had an emergency come up where the on-call couldn't handle it and I had to ssh from my phone to fix it, vim has been an invaluable skill to have.

People can disagree with me, and that's totally fine. My position is

The Milkman posted:

What if different tools are good for different things, and you use them for the thing they're good at
with the explicit extension of "and what if people use the thing that they're most effective with personally, but also take the time to learn things outside of that so they can handle unexpected situations and be versatile"

For me, all the stuff I used to use an IDE for, I can do with vim and external tools, and I can do it all faster than I was comfortable with in an IDE. I don't demand that anyone on my team use it, but I will absolutely encourage them to get at least a basic familiarity with it so they can be effective in unexpected situations.

This is severely tangential, but my main issue with the focus on IDEs is the tendency I've seen from a majority of developers I've worked with over the last 10 years to just throw their hands in the air and say, "welp, it's impossible" when the IDE doesn't do exactly what they want/expect. Based on the experience from some friends who have recently graduated and/or are currently in a program, it seems like the schools are teaching more of how to use the IDE than the fundamentals of the languages they're teaching. At least once a month I've got a senior engineer standing at my desk saying that something is broken and the built-in linter says what they're doing is wrong but they can't find a problem and can't fix it, because they don't know how to do basic debugging. I've seen people spend 10+ hours trying to wire a pretty basic Groovy project up to IntelliJ IDEA to write a <50 line change, rather than just popping an editor and running "gradlew build" when they're done to validate it. Hell, we have people walk in fresh out of school and insist they need the professional edition of PyCharm on day one, and they can't explain why at all (and definitely never use the professional version features). The idea that you can't possibly be effective without an IDE is absurd. There's nothing wrong with using one if it makes you more effective, but people need to temper their expectations and understand that there's value in being able to do things multiple ways, and lower-level understanding of how things work can be critical to being able to succeed.

All of that said, I'm not the editor police. Use whatever makes you happy and effective. Especially if you're not doing this stuff professionally. If you use nano, I'm not going to poo poo on you for it.
If you run Visual Studio Enterprise in a VM on your Linux box, and that's what makes you happy, fine. If you're some kind of masochist who likes working in ed, more power to you. Me, I'll stick with vim, and spend a little bit of time evangelizing it here and there when it makes sense to.

Edit:

Volguus posted:

It's easier to list the things that Emacs doesn't have. One guy even made a Gameboy emulator, because why not.
This is why I tell people that Emacs is a great desktop environment. It's a shame that its built in editor is kinda weak.

Edit2: tl;dr, I'm biased as gently caress and jaded because of dealing with people who have lovely practices and don't want to step outside of their comfort zone at all to grow. Please do whatever makes sense for you.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 12, 2019