Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

So, speaking of the Tieren, I watched the first episode of 00 as part of my off-and-on attempts to see at least a little of every Gundam series.

It's got a broader spread than most of the openers I've seen, hopping between prospectives and around the world, and going through multiple early incidents instead of just playing through one big event. On the upside, it means the show covers a lot of ground in the opener, giving us the main character's childhood, some idea about global geopolitics, some fights, and a rough idea of what a bunch of characters are about. On the more negative side, it means going a little more shallow on any individual point.

One thing I think was a bit awkward was how the show waited until the ending to get the viewer up to speed on what Celestial Being is, putting them in the position of the world powers getting a shock to their system... but we also get a lot of shots of Celestial Being's crews talking about The Forecast, so we're also getting a lot of information that the world powers don't have access to, even if the viewer doesn't get full context for it.

Dunno how common this is as a viewpoint, and I'm equally unsure how it'd work as part of the whole series, but I think the opener, as an individual episode, would be better either focusing on the world powers with the viewers only getting to know Celestial Being's crews in episode 2 (although the flashback stuff with Setsuna would still work with that. It's another bit of "The Gundams are mysterious things that end wars with powers no-one else can match" from a ground level prospective) or with the writing doing more to put us in the position of the Celestial Being crew, with an idea what their objectives are from the start rather than hearing them from Graham figuring it out or seeing them on the news.

I've seen enough Gundam first episodes to see some trends, but I'm starting to wonder what metrics would be interesting to study, like when the main Gundam first shows up, how many characters show up that will be relevant later, that kind of thing. Definitely thinking of IBO and Turn A as the best openers right now, but it's interesting how much of a spread there can be, considering how at least three of them are basically the same plot.

The opening scene for Gundam 00 is super loving strong though, what with the young Setsuna running around trying not to get killed by Tieren's, him repeating "there's no god in this world" and right before he gets killed the angelic 0 gundam shows up. In the span of two minutes, it helps show the huge difference between the gundams and regular grunt suits and establishes from the jump why Setsuna has such extreme views and sees the gundams as almost some form of deity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

The opening scene for Gundam 00 is super loving strong though, what with the young Setsuna running around trying not to get killed by Tieren's, him repeating "there's no god in this world" and right before he gets killed the angelic 0 gundam shows up. In the span of two minutes, it helps show the huge difference between the gundams and regular grunt suits and establishes from the jump why Setsuna has such extreme views and sees the gundams as almost some form of deity.

Oh, definitely.

The opening gives us the main character's motives, tells us a lot about the setting, gives us context for how Gundams interact with the world, and it's a compelling scene in its own right. Plus, you get the clunky-rear end old Mobile Suits, and I love that kind of thing.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I feel for those nations because those Tierens had to resort to straight up Mechwarrior-style combat

And the Enact/Flag were pretty much cutting edge tech at that point

And then the Gundams came and completely poo poo on both

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Those weren't Tierens, they were Anfs. As in, the crappy third-world knock-offs of the Tieren's predecessor. That level of poo poo deserves recognition and respect.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MechaX posted:

I feel for those nations because those Tierens had to resort to straight up Mechwarrior-style combat

And the Enact/Flag were pretty much cutting edge tech at that point

And then the Gundams came and completely poo poo on both

The Enact was the absolute bleeding edge of general mobile suit tech as of episode 1 of 00. The first appearance of the Exia was smashing up the first major public trial of the Enact before it entered mass production to replace their busted-rear end old Realdos.

Imagine being one of the technicians and scientists who spent likely years of painstaking engineering and experimentation time to produce the Enact and then what amounts to a magical impossible space wizard robot that actively defies the known laws of physics during normal operation appears and very publicly shithouses your magnum opus in roughly four seconds before flying away on a cloud of pixie dust.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Darth Walrus posted:

Those weren't Tierens, they were Anfs. As in, the crappy third-world knock-offs of the Tieren's predecessor. That level of poo poo deserves recognition and respect.

The Scopedog of 00.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Enact was the absolute bleeding edge of general mobile suit tech as of episode 1 of 00. The first appearance of the Exia was smashing up the first major public trial of the Enact before it entered mass production to replace their busted-rear end old Realdos.

Imagine being one of the technicians and scientists who spent likely years of painstaking engineering and experimentation time to produce the Enact and then what amounts to a magical impossible space wizard robot that actively defies the known laws of physics during normal operation appears and very publicly shithouses your magnum opus in roughly four seconds before flying away on a cloud of pixie dust.

No, the Flag was the bleeding edge. Graham mentions that the Enact was just a Flag with a facelift.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Anf has a fuckin diesel engine, that rules. Wish we saw more of that stuff. You can almost see a clear path from BigDog to the four legged tanks from Dougram to the Anf.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Marx Headroom posted:

The Anf has a fuckin diesel engine, that rules. Wish we saw more of that stuff. You can almost see a clear path from BigDog to the four legged tanks from Dougram to the Anf.

I remember a scene where an Anf gets fired up and it billows black smoke out of the exhaust. That was pretty cool.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

No, the Flag was the bleeding edge. Graham mentions that the Enact was just a Flag with a facelift.

Yes?

The Flag was the pinnacle of conventional mobile suits, and the Enact was a Flag with a facelift and some new features(direct power beaming from the orbital elevator, for one), which would make it technically superior to a Flag. The Flag cannot be the bleeding edge when there is a new mobile suit largely based on it but with improvements available.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
There's a part of FMP when Sousuke is piloting a second-gen mech instead of his usual third-gen. He's just so happy to have trust-worthy hydraulics instead of those drat carbon-nanotube pseudo-muscles.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I figure the Live Action film's designs will end up taking a lot of cues from the designs of Izubuchi, Kondo, and Kobayashi

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Christ, I hope not; Kondo and Kobayashi's proportions are pretty fugly. Kind of out there for adoption by a mainstream project too. I'm assuming you mean more the inclusion of zimmerit and other such details that increase the verisimilitude of the designs, but even those look out of place on a lot of the designs and take away from the more fantastical element of giant robots as war machines in my opinion. That and I just think it tends to look like rear end. Izubuchi is cool though, so I'd be more than happy to see them take design cues from him.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

tsob posted:

Christ, I hope not; Kondo and Kobayashi's proportions are pretty fugly. Kind of out there for adoption by a mainstream project too. I'm assuming you mean more the inclusion of zimmerit and other such details that increase the verisimilitude of the designs, but even those look out of place on a lot of the designs and take away from the more fantastical element of giant robots as war machines in my opinion. That and I just think it tends to look like rear end. Izubuchi is cool though, so I'd be more than happy to see them take design cues from him.

Zimmerit in no way increases verisimilitude, if anything it does the exact opposite. Some of Kondo's stuff is solid, at least the art for the 0079 manga he did was. It's when he starts doing weird things with giant-rear end skirts, or giving the Sazabi a straight up MG42 that it goes off the rails.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
so I recently got in to gunpla, so decided I should actually watch some Gundam to see exactly what it was all about, I don't watch a ton of anime and just decided to start watching from the beginning and was suprised at the pace and how straight laced the original series is, not that I don't enjoy it but I expected giant robots with lightsabres to be a little campier. With that in mind, what is a good series if I just want to see cool looking robots fighting with some light plot? Looking for something to have on while I work on the models and don't have to be fully focussed on watching.

I've looked at a couple of the watching recommendations on wikis and reddit so I know there are a few series that fit the bill but figured I'd ask here for some more in depth recs

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

screaden posted:

so I recently got in to gunpla, so decided I should actually watch some Gundam to see exactly what it was all about, I don't watch a ton of anime and just decided to start watching from the beginning and was suprised at the pace and how straight laced the original series is, not that I don't enjoy it but I expected giant robots with lightsabres to be a little campier. With that in mind, what is a good series if I just want to see cool looking robots fighting with some light plot? Looking for something to have on while I work on the models and don't have to be fully focussed on watching.

I've looked at a couple of the watching recommendations on wikis and reddit so I know there are a few series that fit the bill but figured I'd ask here for some more in depth recs

Gundam Build Fighters was literally made for that reason, and you will also end up caring about the characters anyway.

Don't watch either of the sequel series.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

chumbler posted:

Gundam Build Fighters was literally made for that reason, and you will also end up caring about the characters anyway.

Build Fighters Try had some redeeming moments but it's my understanding that Build Divers is Literally The Worst.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

This is good advice. Watch Build Fighters, the GM Counterattack OVA afterwards, and nothing else in the Build line.

The kits from the other Build series are generally decent though.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there is a series specifically for that reason.

Kurieg posted:

Build Fighters Try had some redeeming moments but it's my understanding that Build Divers is Literally The Worst.

My tolerance for nonsense is pretty high right now because I still haven't figured out what I like

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is good advice. Watch Build Fighters, the GM Counterattack OVA afterwards, and nothing else in the Build line.

The kits from the other Build series are generally decent though.

I have been picking kits to build purely on price alone so far, I could not care less about what series they come from and I wouldn't know anyway

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd actually say that GM's Counterattack is on par with the quality of Build Fighters Try. And meanwhile the BF Try Island Warfare is on par with the quality of the original Build Fighters.

Build Divers is just a husk of wasted potential.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

screaden posted:

Everyone else is suggesting Build Fighters, and it's not a bad call, but if you want crazy over the top stuff, I highly recommend G Gundam.

In the future, war has been replaced with giant robot tournaments, and the Earth is the ring. Domon Kasshu, a 20 year old martial arts expert, enters at the behest of the Japanese government to track down the mysterious man in a tattered photograph, but there may be more going on than anyone knows.

Action, romance, conspiracies, and a parade of giant robot national stereotypes ensue. It's a good time, and the dub really brings out the ham in a good way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omnicrom posted:

I'd actually say that GM's Counterattack is on par with the quality of Build Fighters Try. And meanwhile the BF Try Island Warfare is on par with the quality of the original Build Fighters.

Build Divers is just a husk of wasted potential.

I still reckon Build Divers is a hijacked project to tell someone's pet story about their darling internet/MMO fairy. There's just too many non-Gundam elements to the MMO itself that don't really gel with the premise as-written, if that makes sense, and it doesn't even follow through on the most important element of a Build show - releasing as many custom kits as possible.

Even at the mid-way mark, when literally everyone in a VERY large cast should be upgrading they only do about 3 or 4 new kits. And one of the show-appearing upgrades doesn't even get one.

It's also just plain boring.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Try and Divers are interesting to me because they both fail completely as Build Fighters sequels (and as shows in their own right) but they do so for completely opposite reasons. On paper Try is great, the same sports show format as the last show but with new characters and bigger fights, its failure is entirely in the execution of the fights and characters. Divers on the other hand is way better executed than Try, I enjoyed it way more moment to moment and the main character aside the cast was a lot of fun. The standalone eps like the one where they do that fortress challenge were great. Divers failure is that the big overall story is so incredibly awful and antithetical to what made Build Fighters enjoyable in the first place.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Try isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There are some galling storytelling choices made throughout but it's not this horrible embarrassing show you must avoid to save your soul. At least one of the main characters gets an arc, all of the supporting characters are funny, and most of the mecha are genuinely good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

Try isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There are some galling storytelling choices made throughout but it's not this horrible embarrassing show you must avoid to save your soul. At least one of the main characters gets an arc, all of the supporting characters are funny, and most of the mecha are genuinely good.

It really is, simply because instead of balancing its main cast, it's "the Sekai show plus two others, I guess". He is literally an anime version of Poochy; The girls all want him because... :shrug:, the guys all want to fight him because... :shrug:, and he's got the personality of a dead horse. He has zero self-motivation in the show's premise, and is primarily pushed through events only because others ask him to do things for them.

It's so bad that when you get to the Nationals finals, it literally devolves into the other three teams dick-waving about who's going to fight Sekai rather than talking about facing off against eachother. And what makes is so noticeable is the rare occasions he's shoved out of the limelight the show is actually decent.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

BFT may have had problems, but godsdamn you if you didn't enjoy the glorious hamminess of the mighty Tryon 3!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The only Build series I've watched was the original and I mostly remember the Wing Gundam appearing in the first episode looking cool and thinking "Ah maybe it won't be abused and mangled--" and then it did

hang in there wing gundam, you'll get someone who loves you one day

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really is, simply because instead of balancing its main cast, it's "the Sekai show plus two others, I guess". He is literally an anime version of Poochy; The girls all want him because... :shrug:, the guys all want to fight him because... :shrug:, and he's got the personality of a dead horse. He has zero self-motivation in the show's premise, and is primarily pushed through events only because others ask him to do things for them.

It's so bad that when you get to the Nationals finals, it literally devolves into the other three teams dick-waving about who's going to fight Sekai rather than talking about facing off against eachother. And what makes is so noticeable is the rare occasions he's shoved out of the limelight the show is actually decent.

Yes but it didn't start that way. Try starts out with Fumina as the "main" trying to assemble a working team combination and adapting her gunpla to better function with it. Somewhere along the way nearing episode 9 I'm convinced a committee at bandai decided to butt in and tell the writers to push Kamiki as the main character and just copy-paste from any shonen toy show. This immediately hindered that original BF charm of having fun with gundam fans, to watching the gundam universe equivalent of beyblade.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Hunter Noventa posted:

BFT may have had problems, but godsdamn you if you didn't enjoy the glorious hamminess of the mighty Tryon 3!

Stop tempting me into rewatching Try, you heartless monster.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Try was pretty fun, even if it didn't fully realise the potential of the premise, and lent more into wholly new designs instead of variations of existing suits/kits. Not even sure I mind that much, all of the Celestial Sphere suits were great.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ka0 posted:

Yes but it didn't start that way. Try starts out with Fumina as the "main" trying to assemble a working team combination and adapting her gunpla to better function with it. Somewhere along the way nearing episode 9 I'm convinced a committee at bandai decided to butt in and tell the writers to push Kamiki as the main character and just copy-paste from any shonen toy show. This immediately hindered that original BF charm of having fun with gundam fans, to watching the gundam universe equivalent of beyblade.

I want to see the alternate universe version of Try where Sekai got ejected from the show and the third member of Try Fighters is Lucas Nemesis because his entire existence was kind of awesome and it was miserable the way they just shunted him out the door.

And yeah, Tryon 3 was great because the big fight against it was a Yuma episode. Try is actually really good whenever Sekai is not on screen or is only tangentially involved in whatever is happening in the plot. Fumina and Yuma are both really workable, usable characters and the secondary cast are varying levels of interesting and salvagable. Everything involving Sekai kind of sucks except his sister, and again that episode where his sister is center-stage is actually a Yuma episode as well.

BF has yet to have a sequel where the leads are anywhere near as good as Sei and Reiji. The sequels all have great B-Casts just like the original, but the original also had really great protagonists in their own right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

I will stand right by you and insist this is what had to have happened, but it almost certainly happened a lot earlier in the script-drafting, because it just makes a hard turn into the Sekai Show from around episode 2-ish. Even Sekai just goes right down the toilet as a character because he has a brief semblance of personality and the ability to emote at the start. He even actually does some neat martial arts stuff like the blade-break with a Dom.

Especially when Fumina goes from having a pretty cool GM Custom for the first few episodes that just kicks rear end as a tacticool all-rounder into what is, I'd wager from a marketing/idiot corporate standpoint, a more "suitable" Gunpla for girls and utterly sidelined as a walking accessory pack to let the Build Burning take center stage. Especially when we meet Lady Kawaguchi and she's also got an SD Gunpla as well. Sazaki probably gets to be the exception to the SD rule because she's the aggressive tomboy character and oh god, why am I vomiting blood, please help.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 12, 2019

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
FWIW I really like Try's second OP with the SFX, the leadup to the chorus is great. And while people shat on the Lightning Gundam I really liked its upgrade where they turned it from a sniper to a dogfighter. Also Transient Gundam loving rules.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Merilan posted:

The only Build series I've watched was the original and I mostly remember the Wing Gundam appearing in the first episode looking cool and thinking "Ah maybe it won't be abused and mangled--" and then it did

hang in there wing gundam, you'll get someone who loves you one day

If you wanna watch a Wing Gundam (or at least a variany of it) being awesome you really should watch more Build Fighters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schneider Heim posted:

FWIW I really like Try's second OP with the SFX, the leadup to the chorus is great. And while people shat on the Lightning Gundam I really liked its upgrade where they turned it from a sniper to a dogfighter. Also Transient Gundam loving rules.

The Lightning Gundam was terrible from concept to execution. For the Gunpla of what was supposed to be the best artistic builder and the team's designer, his mid/late-series upgrades were a series of backpacks.

That all did the exact same thing :nallears:.

Though I fully agree the OP and ED's were pretty good. Especially the dancing Petitgguys :allears:.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

It was literally the only good bit of Try, and even then it ends in the worst way possible.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

People who like Tryon 3 should watch more Brave shows.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Droyer posted:

People who like Tryon 3 should watch more Brave shows.

I've only watched Gaogaigar. I feel I should watch Might Gaine but that may be entirely because of its recent appearances in all those shiny new SRWs I can't play.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, Might Gaine is great in SRW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX2g2DNIdg8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I maintain to this day that Sekai would have been a really great character if he remained as a supporting member of the cast instead of the focus. "Dumbass martial arts goon gets into gunpla for fun" is a fantastic hook but it's not enough to hang your protagonist on. As a side character serving as an excuse to explain what the gently caress a gunpla is to the audience and to provide occasional badass martial arts moments/entertaining dumbassery he would have ruled.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It was literally the only good bit of Try, and even then it ends in the worst way possible.

Try had some actually good individual fights. The Megashiki fight was pretty fun, and the Tryon fight ended in an okay way.