Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [25 F] friend [26 M] of six yrs saved my life a month ago. I feel indebted to him and don't know how to thank him or act, and it's affecting our friendship.

Tldr: My friend of six years risked his own life to save me in a terrible car crash. I obviously am so appreciative, but I do feel indebted and beholden to him, which is making me withdraw to an extent. What should I say to him to make things normal again?

Okay, so this is a bit of a story to say the least...

I've been friends with 'Liam' for a little over six years- before anyone asks, it's always been purely platonic. Our extended friendship group is equal parts guys and girls, and we all date and form serious relationships outside of the friendship circle.

Anyway, roughly a month ago (my memory is a bit sketchy here due to panic in the moment, so bare with me) Liam and I were driving to a housewarming on the other side of the city, he was the driver. It was one of those days where it was extremely hot in the late morning/afternoon (like 35 degrees c) and then it just started storming rain. I didn't know this then, but apparently that makes the roads oily and less safe... I certainly know that now!

We were on the freeway and a car up ahead swerved and sort of turned 180 so I was viewing its side, and then the car in front of us crashed into it, and we crashed into that car- this all happened really suddenly and it was just a scary blur to me. So, there was a pile up and one of the cars had caught fire. It was really, really smoky... like you couldn't see the sky. When I started to actually realise what was up and try to get out of the car, I realised that I could barely move my foot... and then I looked at it and it was like, bent. It's weird but, only when I looked at it did it start hurting. So at this point I was pretty much hyperventilating thinking I couldn't escape and I didn't even realise what Liam was doing or check on him, because I am way shittier than he is I suppose :(

He opened my passenger door and yelled 'are you okay?' and was trying to pull my arm- we couldn't really hear each other because other people were yelling and screaming and a car alarm was going off. I tried to just stand on my one good foot and sorta hop through the wreckage, and so Liam noticed my foot and started carrying me in his arms. I am pretty short and thin, but Liam isn't what one would consider a strong guy, maybe medium strength but he doesn't work out or anything so I could feel him struggling and breathing heavy. He had to stop once or twice, just dropped to the floor with me in his arms still while poo poo's ablaze and only getting worse around us, but he never let me go. Eventually we made it over the freeway and to safety. Police, helicopters, firefighters and ambulances swarmed the scene (as it turns out, Liam's car did end up catching fire...). At the hospital, they found that my foot is broken. Liam was suffering from really bad smoke inhalation and had to stay in hospital for two nights- a doctor said it was probably exasperated because he was physically exerting himself so hard in carrying me/took longer to make it out of the smokey area- I felt and feel really, really guilty about that too.

To the current issue (wow, sorry for the ramble, I think I did need to write it all out for the first time though to get my head straight). The following days after, when he came out of hospital we hugged and I thanked him over and over and he was all 'don't mention it'. As time's gone on though, I've been feeling really guilty, weird, anxious around him and like our friendship isn't 'even' anymore and I'll never be able to repay him for literally saving my life. I'm on crutches, and when he tries to help me with stuff I'm all 'no, no I can manage' which I know is stupid, but it's like I don't want to add to the debt. Plus, we had a bit of a gathering with our other close friends two nights ago and after Liam briefly explained the serious of events, this friend called 'Fiona' said to me 'oh my god, if I was you I would have told Liam to save himself and leave me behind'. That just crushed me... I probably should have.

Has anyone been through anything similar? Will things return to normal? How can I repay or properly thank Liam? Am I an evil person for letting him rescue me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Congrats on becoming the Chewie to his Han

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The good news is you have a forever friend as you follow them around. The bad news is their son will one day kill them and youll be powerless to avenge their death.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Voyager posted:

Er... You know Pensacola's in Florida, right?

Yes? That's why I said Florida.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
evil evil woman

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Plus, we had a bit of a gathering with our other close friends two nights ago and after Liam briefly explained the serious of events, this friend called 'Fiona' said to me 'oh my god, if I was you I would have told Liam to save himself and leave me behind'. That just crushed me... I probably should have.

Has anyone been through anything similar? Will things return to normal? How can I repay or properly thank Liam? Am I an evil person for letting him rescue me?

'Fiona' is the rear end in a top hat, or at least really thoughtless.

Why do people feel the need to announce that they would have made a "better" or more heroic choice than someone who's dazed in an emergency? I mean, both parties made it out and are basically ok--really you're going to blurt out "If I were you I would have just decided to die in the fire so as not to risk anyone else!"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm dating the "Well, actually..." guy.

I'm 25F and my SO is 26M. We've been together for 3.5 years. Tl;dr at the bottom

I don't know if he has always been like this or if it's something I only just noticed recently, but my boyfriend has been driving me insane lately. Every time we have a discussion, he gets so hung up on some negligible detail and he has to correct me on it. It isn't annoying that he is correcting me, it's just annoying the way he does it. He casually insults my intelligence and hypes himself up as a superior mind. He's disrespectful sometimes and it grinds my gears.

Often he corrects me when I'm actually trying to articulate the same exact idea, and he just gets hung up on the syntax and won't let it go. He will assume the worst of my intelligence and go on a long-winded explanation of why I'm wrong when I literally just said the same drat thing (or tried to). This has been happening every time we hang out lately and it really sours my mood when he says, "well, actually..." and then basically repeats what I just said.

Other times we will be discussing topics he knows more about, and I will be 100% incorrect about something. It's great that I have someone to let me know I've got the wrong info, but his approach is insulting. We both work in tech-support jobs, so we are both used to correcting folks and explaining concepts. What I don't like is when he finishes explaining a concept to me and then says something like, "It's fine, I explain these things to stupid people all day."

I've begun seeing it with his family too. He is very smart. I get it. We all get it. But what is the point of tearing people down and acting like he is a god because he knows a tidbit they didn't know? It could be about history, music, math, science, doesn't matter. He seeks out opportunities in conversation to correct people and hang his superior knowledge over their heads.

"Well, actually, if you paid even the slightest bit of attention, you'd know xyz. I just know these things because I like to pay attention to useful information like that... So I don't have to rely on other people to tell me the way y'all rely on me to tell you."

Ughh. He is my best friend and I cherish him, but I wonder how to tell someone who is "always right" that their approach is all wrong. Any advice?

Tl;dr My boyfriend corrects people in the most obnoxious, big-headed way possible. How can I tell someone like that to change their approach?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

wouldnt surprise me if that is a really common thing to say from someone that has never been in that kind of situation

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

ask him if you two are in a relationship

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
/r/relationships: not into her anymore but think about her daily

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

He is my best friend and I cherish him

Why?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Araenna posted:

Yes? That's why I said Florida.

I just brought it up because the creepy brainwashing church that was mentioned is specifically in Pensacola. I'd think it's a solid option since this whole deal's in Florida. And I didn't realize Scientology was a particular thing in Florida as well.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Midnight Voyager posted:

I just brought it up because the creepy brainwashing church that was mentioned is specifically in Pensacola. I'd think it's a solid option since this whole deal's in Florida. And I didn't realize Scientology was a particular thing in Florida as well.

Scientology basically owns Clearwater.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for enforcing school cursing rules equally?

I'm a public high school teacher in a (US) middle-class district where the student body is split about 40% black, 50% white, and 10% other races (mainly latino). My school has a detailed cursing/profanity policy, including a large, but far from comprehensive, list of prohibited words and what each disciplinary step is. Both the "hard R" and "soft A" versions of the N-word are on the specific list of prohibited words.

I've been teaching for the last 6 years and have always enforced every word on the list equally, regardless of race. However, in the last year or so myself and several other teachers have started to come under fire from parents for punishing black students for using any variation of the N-word in the exact same way that we would punish any white, latino, or other race student for saying the same thing.

I've heard various arguments from both sides, but I want Reddit's take on the issue. For context, I am white, but of all the teachers under fire for the same issue there are black and Native American teachers.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not being attracted to my girlfriend’s body?

I made an ALT account to ask this, since a bunch of my family follow my primary one. I’m also.. not completely sure of the rules here, so I’ll try to keep it as PG as I can.

So, me and my girlfriend have been dating for almost 3 years. We have fun together, and we really care about each other. (just to keep it simple.) I will say that she’s the first thin person I’ve ever been with. She’s flat, petite and pretty short. Most of the girls I’ve been with have been on the bigger side (in the good places..) and I’ve always been a fan of ... well, a bigger ~chest~ size. This all started when me and my girlfriend were watching Netflix a few nights ago and she randomly asked me if I was okay with her having a flat chest. (She’s always been insecure about not having b*bs.) I asked why she was curious about this, and she told me she noticed that I never really had anything to say about her chest, (and that day she had been trying on lingerie and none of the ones she tried on fit her in the *chest region. That kind of put her back mental funk where she thinks she’s not attractive if she doesn’t have a certain figure.) She said she was just curious. I told her I had to be honest, and said that I’m not attracted to her chest size, and that I actually prefer bigger b-bs. It’s not a turn off, having a smaller size but not a turn on. If I’m being honest, that’s why I usually prefer she faces away from me during intercourse. She was quiet for a while, and then she said she was going to go home since she had work in the morning. She texted me later on that night and told me what I said hurt her a little. She said we’ve been dating for a while and never brought this up, and that she feels like I lied to her. I told her I didn’t know what to tell her, and that I was just being honest (I was.).

Am I being the rear end in a top hat here?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Show b-bs

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not being attracted to my girlfriend’s body?

I made an ALT account to ask this, since a bunch of my family follow my primary one. I’m also.. not completely sure of the rules here, so I’ll try to keep it as PG as I can.

So, me and my girlfriend have been dating for almost 3 years. We have fun together, and we really care about each other. (just to keep it simple.) I will say that she’s the first thin person I’ve ever been with. She’s flat, petite and pretty short. Most of the girls I’ve been with have been on the bigger side (in the good places..) and I’ve always been a fan of ... well, a bigger ~chest~ size. This all started when me and my girlfriend were watching Netflix a few nights ago and she randomly asked me if I was okay with her having a flat chest. (She’s always been insecure about not having b*bs.) I asked why she was curious about this, and she told me she noticed that I never really had anything to say about her chest, (and that day she had been trying on lingerie and none of the ones she tried on fit her in the *chest region. That kind of put her back mental funk where she thinks she’s not attractive if she doesn’t have a certain figure.) She said she was just curious. I told her I had to be honest, and said that I’m not attracted to her chest size, and that I actually prefer bigger b-bs. It’s not a turn off, having a smaller size but not a turn on. If I’m being honest, that’s why I usually prefer she faces away from me during intercourse. She was quiet for a while, and then she said she was going to go home since she had work in the morning. She texted me later on that night and told me what I said hurt her a little. She said we’ve been dating for a while and never brought this up, and that she feels like I lied to her. I told her I didn’t know what to tell her, and that I was just being honest (I was.).

Am I being the rear end in a top hat here?

I want this to be a parachute of the guy who just posted about telling a friend he didn't think his girlfriend was hot, hoping for a different answer this time.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm a public high school teacher in a (US) middle-class district where the student body is split about 40% black, 50% white, and 10% other races (mainly latino). My school has a detailed cursing/profanity policy, including a large, but far from comprehensive, list of prohibited words and what each disciplinary step is. Both the "hard R" and "soft A" versions of the N-word are on the specific list of prohibited words.

I've been teaching for the last 6 years and have always enforced every word on the list equally, regardless of race. However, in the last year or so myself and several other teachers have started to come under fire from parents for punishing black students for using any variation of the N-word in the exact same way that we would punish any white, latino, or other race student for saying the same thing.

I've heard various arguments from both sides, but I want Reddit's take on the issue. For context, I am white, but of all the teachers under fire for the same issue there are black and Native American teachers.
I am sure Reddit will have a thoughtful and nuanced take on this.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I've heard various arguments from both sides, but I want Reddit's take on the issue.

truly fascinating that anyone would want REDDIT'S definitely spicy takes on anything related to using words that other people would prefer you didn't

e: oh motherfucker this is what I get for putting on dinner before hitting post

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

dreamin of semen posted:

truly fascinating that anyone would want REDDIT'S definitely spicy takes on anything related to using words that other people would prefer you didn't

e: oh motherfucker this is what I get for putting on dinner before hitting post

Putting pop tarts in the toaster doesn't take that long.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

jobson groeth posted:

Putting pop tarts in the toaster doesn't take that long.

pigs in blankets into the oven, thank you very much

is this thread okay with r/relationships adjacent content that isn't from AITA? because uh

r/wemetonline posted:

I miss her, she was a heavy gamer

I was really into this girl who gamed just as much as me, perhaps even more, but we stopped talking months ago. Now I'm wondering what she's doing everyday. I liked her so much to the point where I keep on fantasizing about the day we might meet IRL and marry lol, so sometimes it makes me wonder what it's like for my kids to have a mother that is a heavy gamer, I never heard of that before, do girls just stop gaming at a certain age? I've never heard of a mom who games heavily. She was in her early 20s I think, I'm only 18, it was just so rare, she was different from others, that's why I'm having trouble letting the feelings go, and she also showed reciprocation but it just didn't work out because she lived in the opposite world. She doesn't go online anymore, it makes me slightly jealous too because she probably found someone.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I wonder if it’s one of those really creepy and oppressive churches that feeds kids into the Pensacola Christian Institute. That place is so weird it got a Cracked article about how horrible it is.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1688-5-awful-realities-fundamentalist-christian-college.html

So, Scientology lite?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

DemoneeHo posted:

Just found my boyfriend's secret dildo/butt plug collection.

Buy him the dragon dildo that lays eggs, your boyfriend will love it.

I want to ask if this is really a thing, but I don't really want to know the answer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

I want to ask if this is really a thing, but I don't really want to know the answer.

Not only is it real but you gotta make the eggs yourself so its also a fun DIY project

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MightyJoe36 posted:

Man is tireless in his quest to find things to stick his dick in or shove up his rear end.

Remember, flared bases only.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Show me your b*bs

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

nice to see fishmech getting out there onto the dating scene

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Approved over $10K in CC charges at a strip club while extremely intoxicated.

Something like this happened to a friend except they managed to hit the limit of his credit card so friendly gentleman in suits frogmarched him to the nearest cashpoint and persuaded him to withdraw the maximum amount of cash possible.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

If you've ever had to deal with a "well, actually..." guy who is constantly wrong it becomes immediately infuriating because they'll always double down even if you just like show them for a fact that they're incorrect

This has a good amount of intersection with the "that's just my OPINION, opinions can't be wrong" when they're talking about a thing that's just, like, a fact, it can't be your loving opinion that blue isn't a color you dumb piece of poo poo

Anyway, she should kill him

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

well actually guy and super competitive strong girl should date

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

datajugend posted:

well actually guy and super competitive strong girl should date

...so she can kill him and then move on to someone better?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

yes?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Why doesn't the bigger,stronger female not just eat the weaker male?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My fiance (41M) overrode me as a parent (18F), am I being unreasonable to be upset? (9 months)

quote:

Long story, but my fiance is not my son’s dad. My son’s father wasn’t around for a long time and a bad drug addict. He has a crazy girlfriend who viciously attacks me verbally and on social media. She pushed my ex to be involved and he does it to impress her so now he’s trying to be involved—— of course right around the time I finally moved out of his parent’s house and am staying with my fiance a state over.

I’m the only one who wants to pursue court, but my fiance and my ex are insistent on handling this amongst ourselves and with verbal agreements. Well, that’s not going very well as I predicted and it’s created no stability in the situation whatsoever.
We all met up last month in public (aside from the girlfriend) to discuss a visitation agreement and whatnot. That conversation actually went well EXCEPT for the fact that my boyfriend pulled something out of his rear end without discussing it with me first and of course my ex agreed to it!!!
I didn’t call my fiance out in front of my ex but I vocalized how I was not okay with that and I would’ve appreciated if he mentioned it to me first. I thought about it for a minute and came up with something more reasonable.

The agreement: My fiance said every month they will switch off on paying and sending my son and I out to visit so they can see each other as a replacement for child support. What I’m not okay with, is I know how my ex is. This holds no accountability for him whatsoever. I know he will pay for one visit, and then not pay for any for an entire year or something. It basically enables him to have the easy way out and not really help provide or do much at all.

I said I would like it better if on the months he doesn’t pay for us to go out, if he can send $100 in child support to go into a savings for my son if we don’t need to use it for anything. So easy and way beyond reasonable right? I just want to ensure his involvement so he doesn’t back out again.

Well my boyfriend is profusely arguing with me over it and basically said,”Well oh well you didn’t mention that during the agreement so there’s nothing you can do to enable that.” I’m pissed. I told him I didn’t get to mention that let alone think about that as an option beforehand because he never told me about it first. He just took it upon himself. I told him that was overriding my right as a parent to make decisions for my son and that’s not acceptable.
So now we’re both mad at each other and I’m not sure what to do. He keeps twisting the definition of the word “overriding” and saying he never overrode me because I didn’t give an input, but how could I when I didn’t know he was going to do that? His other excuse is that I said wanted to think about things before the conversation first and write down things to brainstorm our ideas and he didn’t want to do that with me. He’s making me sound incompetent because he refused to talk to me then came up with all of these ideas and mentioned them to my ex during that conversation and not me. I’m just not sure what to do. I feel like this is so wrong.

TL;DR I have visitation issues with my ex regarding our child, my fiance was apart of the conversation and mentioned something that him and my ex agreed to, but he never mentioned it to me first and it’s something I disagree with that’s not working

There is nothing that is not hosed up about this story.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

My fiance (41M) overrode me as a parent (18F), am I being unreasonable to be upset? (9 months)

So I started reading this and assumed the 41M's child was 18F and then like Wile E. Coyote it turns out I was already over the abyss and hadn't realized it yet

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Blade Runner posted:

If you've ever had to deal with a "well, actually..." guy who is constantly wrong it becomes immediately infuriating because they'll always double down even if you just like show them for a fact that they're incorrect

This has a good amount of intersection with the "that's just my OPINION, opinions can't be wrong" when they're talking about a thing that's just, like, a fact, it can't be your loving opinion that blue isn't a color you dumb piece of poo poo
I work with a lot of engineers and this is all of them about everything all the loving goddamn time.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Barudak posted:

So I started reading this and assumed the 41M's child was 18F and then like Wile E. Coyote it turns out I was already over the abyss and hadn't realized it yet

let us all share in this horrifying experience

it just keeps going too

quote:

Long story, I did not want to be engaged. He says he’s involved since we are engaged and that gives him rights especially since he’s been a parental figure to my son for most of his life. He tells me a lawyer confirms all of this for him

quote:

quote:

...if you didn’t want to get engaged, why are you?
Because I told him I never wanted to be married young and he proposed anyways saying,”We can get married later but we can be engaged for now, it’s not an issue”

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 12, 2019

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

There is nothing that is not hosed up about this story.

In her submission history she revealed that she was also abused as a child by her mom’s ex-husband.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

let us all share in this horrifying experience

it just keeps going too

Because I told him I never wanted to be married young and he proposed anyways saying,”We can get married later but we can be engaged for now, it’s not an issue”
[/quote]

All of her posts are like, no you don't get it, long story, things just happened to me.
The last advice she wants is what to do autonomously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/legaladvice
Drug dealer at my University got busted. I had to come in for questioning. Will I be in trouble?
u/RamsIBanking

quote:

Hey guys im a freshman at university. I had a drug dealer who was also a student that I would buy from. Today I got a call to come in and I was questioned. I asked if I was in trouble and all they said was "Most likely not". They had me write a statement just discussing how often I bought from him and how I purchased from him. All they have on me was a snapchat notification on the dealers phone. No message, just "Snapchat from RamsIbanking".

Thanks

Important edit: I was questioned by my University's Public Safety. NOT the police. For the people saying why did I admit it, they already knew I was in there because I was a customer of his.