Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Packers signing Za'darius Smith and Adrian Amos for probably way too much money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whooping Crabs posted:

Packers signing Za'darius Smith and Adrian Amos for probably way too much money

I don't hate it. The speculation and buzz has been targeting these two for a while now, and it looks like the Packers waited until after the first wave of FA finished so they won't be as expensive as the contracts we saw go out yesterday.

With Smith on the team it looks like Clay's gone and Perry is definitely getting cut. I guess we're drafting a pass rusher with the 12th pick for sure.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Bears restructured Mack’s contract to free up 11 million. Something’s...happening?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Packers just picked up Preston Smith so I think Clay is definitely gone. Now all that's left is to re-sign Bashaud Breeland and then I'm 100% satisfied with this year's free agency.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Styles Bitchley posted:

Aw and there go the young Lions fans starting to get excited all over again before another season starts. Bless their little hearts.

quote:

THE LIONS. THE DETROIT MOTHERFUCKING GODDAMN LIONS. THE BANE OF MY FAMILY. GENERATIONS RUINED BY A LOYALTY TO AN ORGANIZATION FOREVER UNDONE BY AN UTTERLY MALEVOLENT AND IRRESISTIBLE INCOMPETENCE. WE LOVE THEM AND WE loving DESPAIR

THE ONLY loving TIME MY OLD MAN EVER EXPRESSES ANY HOPE OR OPTIMISM IS WHEN FOOTBALL SEASON APPROACHES. "HEY THEYRE LOOKING PRETTY GOOD THIS YEAR. WHO KNOWS?" WHO KNOWS? I loving KNOW AND IVE ONLY BEEN WATCHING THIS loving TEAM HALF AS LONG AS HE HAS. SIX WEEKS INTO THE SEASON THOUGH HE FINALLY GETS IT. THE LIONS DO SOME DUMB poo poo AND HES BACK TO HIS POSTGAME RITUAL OF TRASHING THE PLACE IN A MOTHERFUCKING RAGE AND GOING TO BED AT 5PM

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Packers just picked up Preston Smith so I think Clay is definitely gone. Now all that's left is to re-sign Bashaud Breeland and then I'm 100% satisfied with this year's free agency.

I saw somewhere that if they cut Nick Perry after June 1st is frees up a big chunk of money too, so I bet he is gone as well.

edit: they are cutting him today apparently

Malaria fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 12, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

If the Lions will never win a Super Bowl I hope they will at least be good enough to get hot enough at the right time during a season to derail an actual championship-level team's hopes. They did their part with the Pats last season!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

If the Lions will never win a Super Bowl I hope they will at least be good enough to get hot enough at the right time during a season to derail an actual championship-level team's hopes. They did their part with the Pats last season!

That's the most I can ask for at any given time. It's nice to get my hopes up once and awhile.

In fact, I just get happy when the team has meaningful games to play in December.

EDIT: Or November

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Well obviously you never know how FAs are gonna work out but Za'Darius, Preston, and Amos is an extremely strong move out of the gates for Gute. This closes two enormous holes in the defense and opens up what we can do in the draft quite a bit. Re-sign Breeland, maybe Wilkerson, and Marcedes Lewis and the team is in a really good position going forward.

I'm not totally sure anymore if they go pass rusher at 12 since both Smiths got fairly substantial contracts and they're both 26 years old, but this draft is stuffed to the gills with great pass rusher prospects so I don't think Gute can pass on the opportunity to pick up someone who has the chance to be really elite. But long-term thinking, four years for the Smiths means they'd be let go in free agency about the time that the 12th pick contract would be up for re-signing.

30 is probably an offensive tackle. No clue what we do at 44.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1105484512513925120

Ted Thompson is dead. Packers actually doing poo poo in FA now. 4 FA's in an hour. Feels weird man.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
what is this

this feels weird

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Now resign Breeland, Wilkerson, and Allison, and sign Mark Ingram and we're good. As for the draft it opens up a lot of options, I still say draft a pass rusher at 12 (Burns, Oliver, Sweat if he somehow falls to 12) but you could make a case for Hock or Fant at 12 too and then go for a WR like Campbell at 30 or an OL for more depth.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SirPablo posted:

Richardson and Barr gone. Zim is going to ignore the O-line again isn't he.

What are you talking about they can just address it in the third and fourth round :downs:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Abugadu posted:

what is this

this feels weird

As bad as things have been I'm not sure if going into cap hell is the answer. At least they are cutting the dead weight. I've been traumatized by Ted.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whooping Crabs posted:

As bad as things have been I'm not sure if going into cap hell is the answer. At least they are cutting the dead weight. I've been traumatized by Ted.

Rodgers has 4 seasons left. Why not go all in? We'll seriously suck for a couple years after he retires, anyway, might as well combine that with fixing cap hell and get two birds with one stone.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Whooping Crabs posted:

They're not in cap hell tho

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

They're not in cap hell tho

We're real tight up against it with these four FAs and I think we might end up having to cut Tramon too. I'm not gonna worry about it though because Russ Ball has never steered us wrong with cap management and I don't expect that to change.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://twitter.com/TrainIsland/status/1105507770898501634

The Ted Thompson era is dead.

I'm glad.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski/status/1105459418920034304

Let's fuckin gooooooo

https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski/status/1105512309760376832

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1105510083931320329

lmao

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

gently caress

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't really pay attention to the Jets much is this Barr guy we're getting from them good?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well he played for the Vikings so your asking the wrong fandom.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1105540818339852288

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well he played for the Vikings so your asking the wrong fandom.

whoooosh

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I'm still super confused on whether they were actually intending for him to play at OUTSIDE linebacker. That was an absolutely stupid loving idea so probably better for the Jets overall that this didn't go through. Plus Barr should be a Viking.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Love to have a hard working, gritty, white - I MEAN LUNCH PAIL, HARD WORKING, GRITTY, HARD WORKING PLAYER.

He was probably the best non-Kerryon RB last year so wwwhatever.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Play posted:

I'm still super confused on whether they were actually intending for him to play at OUTSIDE linebacker. That was an absolutely stupid loving idea so probably better for the Jets overall that this didn't go through. Plus Barr should be a Viking.

But...he does play OLB?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

But...he does play OLB?

I really don't get that because I never see him playing on the ball unless he's blitzing. The Vikings are a 4-3 defense and Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter are their defensive ends, Barr plays off the ball and has since college I believe. So this confuses me.

e: I guess he's something of a hybrid player. He is used in pass rushing situation but he is also constantly out in coverage and playing the run.

Play fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 12, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Play posted:

I really don't get that because I never see him playing on the ball unless he's blitzing. The Vikings are a 4-3 defense and Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter are their defensive ends, Barr plays off the ball and has since college I believe. So this confuses me.

e: I guess he's something of a hybrid player. He is used in pass rushing situation but he is also constantly out in coverage and playing the run.

Your posts are confusing the hell out of me. That's what a linebacker does.

e: wait maybe you thought he was a defensive lineman for some reason? He's been an OLB his entire career.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I was reading this writeup on Adrian Amos https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...pettine-defense when I suddenly realized why I was becoming more and more irritated

That whole article is pretty much what Micah Hyde did for the Packers before we inexplicably let him walk

And we're paying Amos more than we would've paid Hyde!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Your posts are confusing the hell out of me. That's what a linebacker does.

It's the terminology that's annoying me. A standard OLB plays ON the line of scrimmage and is primarily a pass rusher. I guess in a 4-3 defense they use the term OLB to refer to a player who doesn't actually play on the line of scrimmage, so in a 3-4 would basically be an inside linebacker. That's pointlessly confusing to me, and becomes more so when you realize that the Jets are a 3-4, so when they refer to OLB they are referring to a completely different position

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Play posted:

It's the terminology that's annoying me. A standard OLB plays ON the line of scrimmage and is primarily a pass rusher. I guess in a 4-3 defense they use the term OLB to refer to a player who doesn't actually play on the line of scrimmage, so in a 3-4 would basically be an inside linebacker. That's pointlessly confusing to me, and becomes more so when you realize that the Jets are a 3-4, so when they refer to OLB they are referring to a completely different position

An oustide linebacker is a linebacker that plays on the outside

Play
Apr 25, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

An oustide linebacker is a linebacker that plays on the outside

When you just say "OLB" it's not that descriptive because Anthony Barr and (for example) Khalil Mack don't play the same position even though that position has the same name. Khalil Mack is always on the line of scrimmage, Barr usually plays off the line of scrimmage. The responsibilities and expectations of those two positions are actually very different. I guess it works for you but to me it's a dumb-as-gently caress way to explain what someone does on the field when two different positions have the exact same name.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Adrian Peterson and Dalvin Cook both play Running Back but they play it differently and have very different expectations so I guess we need to rename the position.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Most people usually just include "4-3" or "3-4" to clarify which type of OLB they're talking about...

But beyond that, I don't know why the idea that the Jets would use Anthony Barr as a 3-4 OLB made no sense - like, his draft profile was about his potential as a raw, hyper-athletic pass rusher who could fit in a lot of schemes. His FA market was hard to predict because the Vikings didn't have him regularly rush the passer but when he did, he was among the very best for a 4-3 backer. And with his general size/speed, a potential shift to 3-4 OLB isn't that hard to see.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1105588368237363203?s=19

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Seems like they'll be some heavily backloaded deals.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

WHOOPS posted:

Most people usually just include "4-3" or "3-4" to clarify which type of OLB they're talking about...

But beyond that, I don't know why the idea that the Jets would use Anthony Barr as a 3-4 OLB made no sense - like, his draft profile was about his potential as a raw, hyper-athletic pass rusher who could fit in a lot of schemes. His FA market was hard to predict because the Vikings didn't have him regularly rush the passer but when he did, he was among the very best for a 4-3 backer. And with his general size/speed, a potential shift to 3-4 OLB isn't that hard to see.

It's not that it makes no sense at all, but the idea is pretty strange given how much success he's had off the ball. Regardless, I think I figured out the initial cause of my confusion: the Jets are actually moving to a 4-3 under Gregg Williams for this next season. So basically it does seem like they were not asking him to change positions.

IcePhoenix posted:

Adrian Peterson and Dalvin Cook both play Running Back but they play it differently and have very different expectations so I guess we need to rename the position.

You're not getting this. OLB in a 3-4 and OLB in a 4-3 are completely DIFFERENT positions. It's not just in how dudes play those positions, they're just straight up different, the biggest difference being a 3-4 OLB is always on the line of scrimmage where a 4-3 OLB is off the line of scrimmage unless they're blitzing. Adrian Peterson and Dalvin Cook both play the same position, Khalil Mack and Anthony Barr do NOT.

I'm gonna call him an SLB because he plays on the strong side and that terminology makes it clear that he in in fact an off-ball linebacker. Football terminology is totally hosed sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'll call them silly mid-on and silly mid-off.