Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also just make the bloody pet actions change depending on which pet is out, don't make us map each one independently. :argh:

Making summoning a pet change your button bindings is one of the things you can safely macro with /hotbar if you want.

While you definitely shouldn't macro anything to Jolt since regardless how how much you'd like to you cast quite a lot of it and adding .1 to .3 seconds of cast time -- which is effectively what a macro does to a GCD ability -- would be bad I think people are sometimes a little too paranoid about not macroing anything, regardless of how rarely they use it. I found my Cleric Stance uptime increased once I macroed it to Shadow Flare, for instance, because I kept forgetting the drat thing. And sure, I could learn to use Cleric Stance correctly instead of using that macro, but in practice I can't be arsed and am willing to pay the terrible price of maybe 0.5% less mighty Scholar DPS than my theoretical max for the convenience of not having to do that.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the stance-specific and mutually exclusive actions being merged, but I hate the PVP combo system. I'd rather them just kill combos all together and average out the effects over one button.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I went to update my DRK's weapon (it was at a paltry 310 because I hadn't done virtually any 70 content with it) and it went pretty well, the 380 crafted was going for about 400k gil which was much lower than I expected. Then I saw someone was selling one for 5 million... with 5 materia melded in it. At first I thought that was cool, but then I realized it would never sell because wouldn't anyone with sense just buy a cheaper one and immediately trade it up for the 390, which means taking out any materia affixed to it?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Might’ve been made before the upgrade trade was put in.
But yes, the +1 weapon damage far outweighs any kind of overmelds it might have. There might be an argument for certain crafted items/accessories, since the upgraded ones can’t be overmelded (I know BiS for tanks and MNK includes crafted accessories), but definitely not for weapons.

Got a eurekafied static member who’s offering to help get eureka relic weapons. I asked about what if the random stats are terrible, but a little math showed they’d have to be absolutely dismal and the tomestone weapon absolutely incredible before relic wasn’t an upgrade.

Weapon damage is super, super important.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I finally started messing around a bit with some dps after playing WAR pretty much exclusively and it's making me wonder why Storm's Eye isn't part of the classbar; it's so much nicer having all the stuff you have to keep track of right there

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I still think they should give us one-button combos kinda like PvP has, or at least buttons that change depending on stance/availability.

Hell, PvP also lets you just do normal 1 2 3 buttons if you're part of the crowd that is somehow threatened by combo buttons.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

TheHeadSage posted:

I'll post the macro I use when I'm home in a couple of hours, but from memory it's something like

code:
/action "Savage Blade" 1 2
/action "Rage of Halone" 1 3
Which adds the two enmity abilities to my first hotbar in slots 2 & 3. When I switch to DPS mode, I have another macro which is

code:
/action "Riot Blade" 1 2
/action "Royal Authority" 1 3
and I always leave Goring Blade in slot 4. So I'm always pressing 1-2-3. (or 1-2-4)

This is my hotbar setup, and you can see the macro's next to the two tank stances. I've got the same setup for WAR and DRK, so everything is consistent.

hmm, started to poke around with this but it doesn't seem to be quite what i'm looking for for a couple reasons...

what i'm really looking for would be pressing one key to toggle between two hotbars but have the same keys. does anyone know if that's possible?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Emalde posted:

Hell, PvP also lets you just do normal 1 2 3 buttons if you're part of the crowd that is somehow threatened by combo buttons.

Nothing threatening about it.

One button shouldn't have:
Multiple number of targets (only applicable for monk)
Multiple effects
Multiple positional requirements
Multiple resource costs
Multiple resource generation

So far what they do makes sense, like with Inner Beast/Fel Cleave, Gierskogul/Nastrond, etc. so that's a good start, the combos are more than incrementally bigger hits on the same target.

And nobody is going to split pvp-type combos into 6 buttons because that's even dumber, especially if that's the way SE is going to fight expansion button bloat.

Kaubocks posted:

hmm, started to poke around with this but it doesn't seem to be quite what i'm looking for for a couple reasons...

what i'm really looking for would be pressing one key to toggle between two hotbars but have the same keys. does anyone know if that's possible?

If I understand, just make the same slot in each hot bar the macro button to swap to the other set. Say, on DPS bar #12, you have the aggro toggle. On aggro bar #12, you have the DPS toggle

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

TheHeadSage posted:

I'll post the macro I use when I'm home in a couple of hours, but from memory it's something like

code:
Which adds the two enmity abilities to my first hotbar in slots 2 & 3. When I switch to DPS mode, I have another macro which is

code:
/action "Riot Blade" 1 2
and I always leave Goring Blade in slot 4. So I'm always pressing 1-2-3. (or 1-2-4)

This is my hotbar setup, and you can see the macro's next to the two tank stances. I've got the same setup for WAR and DRK, so everything is consistent.

Why make that take up two extra slots? Macro the stance change buttons.

code:
/ac “Shield Oath”
code:
/ac “Sword Oath”
/action "Riot Blade" 1 2
There’s also a way to make the stance change one button (if shield go sword and vice versa) but i don’t remember it off the top of my head

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

Gonna have to explain this one to me, you can only use Sheltron twice depending on how built up the gauge is.

I just like playing PLD, it's the nice, smooth boring job. I'm really poo poo at the other two tank roles. I'll probably be poo poo at Gunbreaker as well, so I'll stick to PLD.

that's true, you only gain 25 gauge every 15 seconds in sword oath, so you can't sheltron literally every shield swipe. that's one of the reasons getting creative with poo poo like cover+bulwark is important.

paladin really enjoys being the main tank (not the pulling tank, though) for this reason - getting hit with auto attacks means more opportunities to block and swipe for free.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thumbtacks posted:

Why make that take up two extra slots? Macro the stance change buttons.

You aren't exclusively doing rage of halone in shield oath, nor is your aggro combo useless in sword.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You aren't exclusively doing rage of halone in shield oath, nor is your aggro combo useless in sword.

Then I don’t understand the point of those macros at all. does he hit that button so he can 123 his damage combo and then hit the other one to 123 his aggro combo because that’s just unnecessary

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Then I dont understand the point of those macros at all. does he hit that button so he can 123 his damage combo and then hit the other one to 123 his aggro combo because thats just unnecessary

a situation i'm currently looking for at the moment is red mage, where you have two distinct phases: your ranged skills and your melee combo

currently i have all my magic abilities set to 1-6, and then the melee combo (including corps-a-corps and displacement) as shift+1-5. on paper this is fine, but over extended periods of time my pinky gets seriously tired of holding down shift over and over, especially when reaching out to 5. this was exacerbated by eureka where you're just banging out full rotations ad nauseum against all trash everywhere

ideally, for me, i could have my ranged abilities as 1-6 and then press a button to switch the bar to having my melee abilities as 1-5, so there's less reaching necessary

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If I understand, just make the same slot in each hot bar the macro button to swap to the other set. Say, on DPS bar #12, you have the aggro toggle. On aggro bar #12, you have the DPS toggle

i'll have to look into copy hotbar, thanks

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
My solution to hotbar bloat was to get a steam controller. Now I need to struggle to fill all my slots.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

a situation i'm currently looking for at the moment is red mage, where you have two distinct phases: your ranged skills and your melee combo

currently i have all my magic abilities set to 1-6, and then the melee combo (including corps-a-corps and displacement) as shift+1-5. on paper this is fine, but over extended periods of time my pinky gets seriously tired of holding down shift over and over, especially when reaching out to 5. this was exacerbated by eureka where you're just banging out full rotations ad nauseum against all trash everywhere

ideally, for me, i could have my ranged abilities as 1-6 and then press a button to switch the bar to having my melee abilities as 1-5, so there's less reaching necessary

i'll have to look into copy hotbar, thanks

This doesn’t help your specific problem but why the hell are you binding 1-6? You have so many keys at your disposal. QERFVCXZ and shift+those. Much easier on your hands.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Well that's 2 BiS relics down, now to just finish my DRK one and start on that :v:

The dragoon relic took 12 rolls, the machinist took 18

Bolow fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 12, 2019

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How is the condition above 100%

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

This doesnt help your specific problem but why the hell are you binding 1-6? You have so many keys at your disposal. QERFVCXZ and shift+those. Much easier on your hands.

i do

QERF, M3, and M5 + their shift and ctrl variants all have things bound to them. 1-6 is just easier for me to internalize as the main combo abilities with everything else being oGCDs or buff/debuffs/role actions

(i try not to bind too many things to ctrl because of it being a pain in the dick)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Thumbtacks posted:

How is the condition above 100%

Appropriate level Crafters can repair up to 199%

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At this point Ctrl and Alt are easy peasy to hit for me, it's just second nature. I always have my pinky hovering over there., but then again I don't have to reach up for the number keys because I have a G600 and can hit that stuff with my right thumb easily.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Biggest game changer for me was binding Ctrl and Alt to the extra mouse buttons. Took a minute to relearn but it nearly doubled my possible hotkeys

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

i do

QERF, M3, and M5 + their shift and ctrl variants all have things bound to them. 1-6 is just easier for me to internalize as the main combo abilities with everything else being oGCDs or buff/debuffs/role actions

(i try not to bind too many things to ctrl because of it being a pain in the dick)

Have you considered Alt instead of shift? If you hit it with your thumb it’s a lot easier on your hand than shift is.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

isk posted:

Biggest game changer for me was binding Ctrl and Alt to the extra mouse buttons. Took a minute to relearn but it nearly doubled my possible hotkeys

Pretty much this. I also tossed shift onto a third thumb button so all the skills I hit all the time are on 1-4, with the stragglers I only hit occasionally on 5 and 6.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 12, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
This is really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaYFpOVl2B4

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

isk posted:

:hai:

I use a g13 and setting mouse 4 and 5 to shift and ctrl is great. My mouse also has another 2 buttons in the corner of the left click that I use mouse 4 and 5 on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The constant need to add footstep sounds is really awful

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Bolow posted:

Well that's 2 BiS relics down, now to just finish my DRK one and start on that :v:

The dragoon relic took 12 rolls, the machinist took 18

I've done 19 rerolls and I'm still on four lines :negative:

I didn't get my second line until roll 12, I think?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Have you considered Alt instead of shift? If you hit it with your thumb its a lot easier on your hand than shift is.

may be because my hands are too big or something but i don't find hitting alt+ something like 5 or F to be very comfortable, unfortunately

someday i'd like to get an MMO mouse

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Honestly, and I don’t have RDM at 70 so I might be super wrong, how often do you even do the melee combo?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pretty often. Best practice is to do it as much as humanly possible, especially after verholy/verflare.

With no ver-whatever procs, it'll be what... 12-14 dualcasts of jolt/impact + veraero/verthunder.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I don't use any bind keys past 5, and 5 is the absolute farthest I'll go to press a key. Anything past that if I run out of mousebinds, gets relegated to click status. And anything on 5 is so far from mission critical I don't really need it beyond it being there.

So I keep.

1-3 for DPS rotation, 4 and 5 hate combo.

CTRL + 1-5 additional attacks. CTRL 2 has been my stun hotkey for games for over 10 years so I keep that there.

ALT + 1-5 AE abilities and triggers/spenders.

SHIFT + 1-5 for random bullshit, not used much except storing Ninja mutras.
and
Tilde, ALT Tilde, CTRL Tilde and `SHIFT Tilde for easy to fire off buffs in rapid succession.

I try to make all classes keybinds as similar as possible. Some are harder than others, like I just don't get Dragoon at all. For Ninja I put all my mutras on recorded G Keys and let the keyboard do the work. Haven't been hosed over by lag that I remember.

I could use QWERTYASDF for abilities I guess, but I don't like it despite only moving with mouse.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Givin posted:

I don't use any bind keys past 5, and 5 is the absolute farthest I'll go to press a key. Anything past that if I run out of mousebinds, gets relegated to click status. And anything on 5 is so far from mission critical I don't really need it beyond it being there.

So I keep.

1-3 for DPS rotation, 4 and 5 hate combo.

CTRL + 1-5 additional attacks. CTRL 2 has been my stun hotkey for games for over 10 years so I keep that there.

ALT + 1-5 AE abilities and triggers/spenders.

SHIFT + 1-5 for random bullshit, not used much except storing Ninja mutras.
and
Tilde, ALT Tilde, CTRL Tilde and `SHIFT Tilde for easy to fire off buffs in rapid succession.

I try to make all classes keybinds as similar as possible. Some are harder than others, like I just don't get Dragoon at all. For Ninja I put all my mutras on recorded G Keys and let the keyboard do the work. Haven't been hosed over by lag that I remember.

I could use QWERTYASDF for abilities I guess, but I don't like it despite only moving with mouse.

w-why 5

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Don't know about Givin, but I personally start fat fingering keys beyond 6. So it was easier to find work arounds rather than look at my keyboard to make sure I hit the right key.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thumbtacks posted:

Honestly, and I don’t have RDM at 70 so I might be super wrong, how often do you even do the melee combo?

Constantly, it doesn't take ver-y long to build up enough charge in both elements to get back in

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Don't know about Givin, but I personally start fat fingering keys beyond 6. So it was easier to find work arounds rather than look at my keyboard to make sure I hit the right key.

I'm the same way, though I even try to avoid 5 if possible

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
All these issues could be solved if you all just played DRK. Then you only have one button to hit

D A R K A R T S

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Comfort/pain issues.

I switched to a controller because I broke my hand a few times as a kid and using a keyboard with modifiers would give me pretty bad wrist pain after an hour or two of mashing buttons in dungeons.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Does anyone have a picture of the glowy hydatos ninja armor? My friend has been trying to find a pic of it for like a week

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, this is very cool. Now I would love to see a de-made NES cutscene.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

isk posted:

Better yet, rebind caps lock as an additonal Ctrl key. Extremely easy to hit, and you didn't really need caps lock anyway.

Huge quality of life improvement on any computer, anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Because when I'd try things on 6 and beyond it was just too uncomfortable and I found it much easier to just rely on CTRL, ALT 1-5. That's just my personal break point. YMMV.

I haven't used 6+ in a game in over a decade and keyboards have more than enough G keys on the left side nowadays to even worry about it.

I do miss my old Logitech G15 keyboard tho. That thing was super comfy. I tried a Logitech Orion Spark but that thing was a giant piece of uncomfortable poo poo. Plus I was starting to get no end of bullshit problems with logitech's software. Now I just roll with a Corsair K55.