Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

its ridiculous that she's making the no deal vote one that still causes no deal

it's amazing that she's spitefully pissing over the people she promised a concession to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

its ridiculous that she's making the no deal vote one that still causes no deal

It is 100% in character

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

Just got an email from my good mate Jez:

Hello george

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

3 Labour rebels supporting May on tonights vote.

Surprisingly not Hoey!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless I'm very much mistaken the no deal vote is to determine what happens subsequently.

Yes if parliament votes for no deal tomorrow we leave with no deal but that seems unlikely? If it rejects it then she just said "you have to figure out what the gently caress you want to do" including revoking A50 or a referendum, both of which are a bit surprising to hear from her?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This is turning out to be a reasonably decent birthday after all.
Plus, I'm about to put some Dirty Fries in the oven and I've got some beers.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Apparently McDonnell said labour will table a second referendum after this vote, do you think they’ll do that or just push for a GE?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

kustomkarkommando posted:

Surprisingly not Hoey!

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1105553385619636224

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, we already had one vote on no deal and it was rejected by something silly like 500 to 33. This one will probably work out similarly. It's just a purity test for the ERG, not something we seriously want to worry about.

The amendment to the EU Withdrawal Act that would have prevented us leaving without a deal failed thanks to the votes of Hoey, Field, Springer and Mann.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

How did the TIGgers vote

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Can someone explain to me why this means no-deal is more likely? Isn't the majority of the house against no-deal in any vote? And isn't there that exact vote tomorrow?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Now we're heading for No Deal unless there's a general election, which there won't be because Theresa doesn't want to get voted out of office.

We aren't most likely. key is Thursday's vote. Tomorrow is foregone. A vote to extend will pass, thats a given as even various ERG MP's have indicated they would back it. Key is the amendments i.e. there will be an amendment to seek an extension to allow for a new referendum.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Surprisingly not Hoey!

Any deal isn't Brexity enough for Hoey

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Noxville posted:

How did the TIGgers vote

Voting is what TIGgers do best

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Ratjaculation posted:

Can someone explain to me why this means no-deal is more likely? Isn't the majority of the house against no-deal in any vote? And isn't there that exact vote tomorrow?

The wording acknowledges that a no deal remains the default regardless

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Surely it's gonna be an easy No for No deal right?

Should be nailed on in any sane timeline.

Also feels like this should have been last week, force the ERG to nail thier colours to the mast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deketh posted:

The wording acknowledges that a no deal remains the default regardless

Yes because it does, it's up to the house to do something about that subsequently to rejecting it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ratjaculation posted:

Avoiding a no-deal Brexit requires this Government to come up with a plan and then successfully implement it. All evidence so far is that both of those steps are beyond it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

Some people in here are trying to do the thing where you talk like the bad thing is definitely going to happen so that it doesn't happen.

Like anything is certain in this chaos. No one knows what's going to happen. Don't listen to people just because they sound authoritative in their cynicism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What matters following this is what the government does going forward, if they've given up on May's deal for the moment that opens opportunities for the commons to try and hash something out, an extension, referendum, or retraction, as May said.

That's what Cooper was asking about I think, but my feed cut out so I didn't get the response.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Question, is it actually possible for May to implement No Deal as a murder/suicide if nothing gets resolved even after an extension or would she get her forced out the door?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

forkboy84 posted:

It's like a loving poo poo pantomime in the HoC, isn't it?

Oh no it isn't!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ukle posted:

We aren't most likely. key is Thursday's vote. Tomorrow is foregone. A vote to extend will pass, thats a given as even various ERG MP's have indicated they would back it. Key is the amendments i.e. there will be an amendment to seek an extension to allow for a new referendum.

There must be some sort of plan for what to do next in the extension vote, i.e. that a referendum will be held during the extension period, because the EU27 will not accept a delay without a plan, because it could lead to an endless series of delays.

Carecat posted:

Question, is it actually possible for May to implement No Deal as a murder/suicide if nothing gets resolved even after an extension or would she get her forced out the door?

It's very difficult for me to imagine how this could happen without Parliament's support. She can't just trigger NDB on her own. Parliament could always just agree to the deal in a vote and bam. The best she can do to trigger NDB is to negotiate a terrible deal and then drag her feet in arranging votes on it, which is exactly what she's already done.

edit: to clarify, May doesn't need to actually do anything to make NDB happen at this point. But she can't make it happen against a Parliament that is happy to vote for some kind of deal acceptable to the EU as well.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 12, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carecat posted:

No deal happens automatically absenting positive action to stop it, she doesn't need to implement anything.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
No Deal not happening requires this current government to either vote for a general election or a second referendum, neither of which they will do because it's political death for them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carecat posted:

T-May is Bane, the UK is the plane.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ukle posted:

The extension is pointlessly kicking the can down the road again, which is what's happened for 4 months at the very least, since the first attempted vote on this deal that's not changed meaningfully. And also, to be blunt, it's not really likely to get accepted by the EU without some promise of something changing. And the only way that changes is if the parliamentary arithmetic changes, which means an election.

Chukka Umuna on the BBC says he thinks there will be a majority for something but he doesn't know for what. loving useless cretin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sulphagnist posted:

She can't just trigger NDB on her own. Parliament could always just agree to the deal in a vote and bam.

She already did, or rather parliament already did, that's what issuing the article 50 declaration was 2 years ago. We leave the EU, deal or not, at the end of march, unless either we revoke article 50 and call it all off, which we can do unilaterally, or the EU agrees to an extension.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Surprisingly not Hoey!

Kate Hoey is an insane Irish unionist and hates the deal

Who the gently caress is Kevin Barron

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sulphagnist posted:

There must be some sort of plan for what to do next in the extension vote, i.e. that a referendum will be held during the extension period, because the EU27 will not accept a delay without a plan, because it could lead to an endless series of delays.

It's very difficult for me to imagine how this could happen without Parliament's support. She can't just trigger NDB on her own. Parliament could always just agree to the deal in a vote and bam. The best she can do to trigger NDB is to negotiate a terrible deal and then drag her feet in arranging votes on it, which is exactly what she's already done.

edit: to clarify, May doesn't need to actually do anything to make NDB happen at this point. But she can't make it happen against a Parliament that is happy to vote for some kind of deal acceptable to the EU as well.

Parliament triggered Article 50. It's literally law that we leave on March 29th unless they vote for something else to stop it. Simply voting no to no deal and then no to anything else doesn't stop No Deal.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 12, 2019

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

She already did, that's what issuing the article 50 declaration was 2 years ago. We leave the EU, deal or not, at the end of march, unless either we revoke article 50 and call it all off, which we can do unilaterally, or the EU agrees to an extension.

I edited my post to clarify - my point is that May can't just murder-suicide the UK by walking over Parliament in her capacity as Prime Minister, which is I think what the OP was asking about. If the Parliament wants a deal, and the EU wants that same deal, then there will be a deal.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sulphagnist posted:

Ahanhaahah there no loving plan man

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

JFairfax posted:

Ahanhaahah there no loving plan man

Then the EU will refuse an extension and NDB happens in two weeks, simple!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sulphagnist posted:

I edited my post to clarify - my point is that May can't just murder-suicide the UK by walking over Parliament in her capacity as Prime Minister, which is I think what the OP was asking about. If the Parliament wants a deal, and the EU wants that same deal, then there will be a deal.

The only deal on the table is May's deal, and they rejected that by a massive majority just now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Sulphagnist posted:

Then the EU will refuse an extension and NDB happens in two weeks, simple!

Unless a GE or a ref is called

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

seizure later posted:

No Deal not happening requires this current government to either vote for a general election or a second referendum, neither of which they will do because it's political death for them.

ayyup

thursdays vote doesnt matter, it's salad dressing. the EU will not agree to an extension because they are not going to offer a deal other than what they have put forth, and they are going to get nothing different from May, nor any assurances of a GE or second referendum. The UK is almost assuredly leaving without a deal on the 29th.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
tomorrow's no deal defeat is all the excuse Bercow can possibly need to insist on hearing a legally binding gently caress This poo poo vote regardless of this joke of a dictator's opinion

Little nauseous at relying on a tory speaker tbh

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where are the EU reactions?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The EU might be willing to grant an extension for a GE or 2nd referendum, yes. Because those would be reasons to have one. Personally I suspect a 2nd referendum is the most likely outcome because a GE or retraction are both very unlikely at this point, but I have no ideas a: what the questions would be or b: what the result would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sulphagnist posted:

The EU agreed to a deal, which is now called "May's deal". Parliament told that deal to gently caress off. Parliament is free to create a new "deal", unilaterally, but the EU will tell that deal to gently caress off. hth