Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Equeen posted:

it's been an embarrassingly long since i've read a book, but i'll try to go to my local library this weekend. i kinda want to get into sewing/weaving, but i don't trust myself to not treat it as a passing fad.

thanks for response, chokes! :)

passing fads are okay! you have to try something before you know you like it, and the ultimate point is to just try something brand new. don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t work out, you had fun (I assume) trying it.

and yw I do what I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Eat This Glob posted:

brain zaps aren't a thing I've heard of and I'm on escitalopram and plan to be until my doctor tells me otherwise or i die, but for my edification can someone describe the sensation?

im on wellbutin too and know there is some seizure risk if i stop taking that suddenly. let's say im kidnapped by a very dumb ransom seeker and i cant take my antidepressant. what could i expect from possible brain zaps?

It's like feeling a strong static shock, except inside your brain. Out of nowhere, at some unpredictable time, you get zapped. In my experience it wasn't really painful but it was disorienting. I know nothing of the cause of it and I don't remember which med gave it to me because I was on too drat many of them.

Another phenomenon I experienced was feeling like my spine was made of glass. When I turned my head in the morning it would feel like a little glass rod breaking in there, one for every bit of movement. It may have been from the Seroquel but once again I can't know for sure but feeling like you're breaking a little piece of yourself every time you look around is not fun.

edit: brain zaps for me were disruptive enough to make me blink, stop walking for a second, etc.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Filthy Hans posted:

It's like feeling a strong static shock, except inside your brain. Out of nowhere, at some unpredictable time, you get zapped. In my experience it wasn't really painful but it was disorienting. I know nothing of the cause of it and I don't remember which med gave it to me because I was on too drat many of them.

Another phenomenon I experienced was feeling like my spine was made of glass. When I turned my head in the morning it would feel like a little glass rod breaking in there, one for every bit of movement. It may have been from the Seroquel but once again I can't know for sure but feeling like you're breaking a little piece of yourself every time you look around is not fun.

edit: brain zaps for me were disruptive enough to make me blink, stop walking for a second, etc.

Samuel L Jackson alt account spotted

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Filthy Hans posted:

oh man, i've had the zaps after i had to wait a few days between refills on my bupropion (welbutrin or whatever)
yeah doesn't exactly hurt, but it is disorienting and unpleasant and i imagine it would have gotten much worse

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

would the zaps make you an issue if you were, say, driving a car? btw, thanks for the answers. It is making me inclined to keep my appointments so i can continue taking my drugs as prescribed

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Eat This Glob posted:

would the zaps make you an issue if you were, say, driving a car? btw, thanks for the answers. It is making me inclined to keep my appointments so i can continue taking my drugs as prescribed

The zaps are pretty quick so assuming you're just driving down the highway it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I know when I was off my meds for a few days I was really uncomfortable with the idea of driving myself around. They're disorienting enough that your brain has to recalibrate for a couple seconds but you're still in control of your senses.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Poniard posted:

lmao I told my boss that my personal morals have been in active conflict with my job and that i probably won't be sticking around too long. I was supposed to go to some conference on the other side of the country that I didn't want to go to and there would have been no point because I would bail a month or so afterwards anyway. He looked sad and seemed blindsided by telling him about my troubles which he could do nothing about. Gonna be stressin about this interaction for a while but if I didn't say it and start moving on I don't think I would see the end of the year

yeah! you did the right thing! and you stood up for yourself! yay

like you'd be stressing waaaay worse about wanting to have that conversation but not actually having it, right? before we even consider that not having that conversation would lead to the continuation of a stressful status quo?

so sounds like you're doing good considering :)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

got any sevens posted:

was it real lovely, like ohio or florida? or just a medium state, like montana or oregon?

:banjo:

lol

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

bahahahahahahah i finally googled dick and ball torture to see what it actually was hahahahaha

lmao posted:

The theory behind the approach is that some people are prone to react in a more intense and out-of-the-ordinary manner toward certain emotional situations, primarily those found in romantic, family and friend relationships. DBT theory suggests that some people’s arousal levels in such situations can increase far more quickly than the average person’s, attain a higher level of emotional stimulation, and take a significant amount of time to return to baseline arousal levels

i bolded the parts that call me out specifically

lmao

gently caress

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Eat This Glob posted:

imo if you're getting brain zaps you've probably got some other, more chronic side effects going, like exhaustion and headaches, if those don't hold you back then brain zaps should just be an annoyance, they're not going to give you a seizure or spike your arm muscles to drive you off the road or anything like that. You absolutely should keep your appointments regardless of anything else. I don't know what kind of doctor you have, but there's no real substitute for a psychiatrist.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

juche avocado posted:

bahahahahahahah i finally googled dick and ball torture to see what it actually was hahahahaha

i bolded the parts that call me out specifically

lmao

gently caress

step on my dick and balls w heels an I’d be slow to become less aroused too. sorry. sorry I’m trying to delete it

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

my brainzaps were debilitating for a few days and extremely annoying for the remainder of the week or two i had to be off meds

I'd be standing up trying to do work or whatever and I'd have to sit down because i lost my sense of balance concurrent with the escalation of pain in my brain until their twinned climax and the re-expansion of my capacity of consciousness to the room I'm occupying

if you have experience on psychedelic drugs, the sensation of your consciousness expanding as though it were a gas to fill the space you're in: it's that but mirrored, before it painfully explodes back to Normal Consciousness & the cycle repeats

for me at least!!!

edit: what I'm learning is that for some it "doesn't exactly hurt" but for others (me) it hurt a whole hell of a lot at first

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Mar 12, 2019

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
this thread got me back to therapy after a months-long lapse bc reading y’alls posts i recognized worsening symptoms i had been ignoring or worse leaning into

i’m going back again this week bc im not doing great and as has happened before, getting in touch with my feelings also takes out my defense mechanisms and i’m feeling a lot more and being triggered a lot more easily. in time i know things will improve but rn it’s fkn rough

to not make this alll abt M E a contribution to the thread for anyone considering in-person therapy, coming from someone who waited far too long (~35 years) to start:

make an inventory of yr damage

get an actual pen and paper (unless yr disabled and can’t ofc but if you can pls do) and make a list of the things that make you sad, make you angry, make you anxious, past traumas, things you’ve gone through that you can’t forget, invasive thoughts, shame, all of it.

it’s gna be really rough to do it but having that as a reference point is extremely valuable esp if, like me, you have trouble with concentration and memory. and then as you feel at peace with some items, you can mark them off, or maybe underline smtg that’s still giving you trouble. and if you start with a fresh notebook you can keep taking notes and making new inventories, or write down suggestions from yr therapist. can’t tell you what to do beyond that bc that’s where i am after ~a year and a half (with several lapses bc finances and avoidance)

ok thanks again chokes, thread

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
When I trialled some venlafaxine a year ago or so for depression, I got quite bad brain zaps on the second day. The night before I had horrible and very vivid nightmares where I thought I was going insane, and then when I woke up I was terrified and dizzy, and started getting brain zaps while lying in bed which were incredibly disorienting.

It was like a mental discontinuity and then an explosion like shock sensation right in the centre of my brain that just completely fried my mind on a very basic level, accompanied with a jolt of adrenaline. There would be like an afterglow for a few seconds where I would slowly reconstitute my ability to make sense of where I was and what I was perceiving through my senses. It was very unpleasant and kind of terrifying, and they came on every 5-15 minutes or so for about an hour and a half after I'd woken up. I got some smaller ones later in the day too which weren't as severe but still very disorienting. I couldn't deal with it so I stopped taking the medication and asked my doctor about it, she said it was a normal side effect and it was a shame that I didn't stick with it. The episode cleared up by itself a week later tho so it was no big loss.

Important to keep in mind I have a history of bad reactions to ssris though, and I was on other psychiatric medications at the time which might have interacted with the venlafaxine, so my experience shouldn't be taken as representative.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

juche avocado posted:

yeah! you did the right thing! and you stood up for yourself! yay

like you'd be stressing waaaay worse about wanting to have that conversation but not actually having it, right? before we even consider that not having that conversation would lead to the continuation of a stressful status quo?

so sounds like you're doing good considering :)

thank you my friend

ive been stressing about it all day and almost cried in my car on the way home worrying about affording rent in the near future

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Re: brain zaps. I get them for a few days whenever I go up or down in dose of escitalopram, but they're just a weird nuisance, not as severe as the horror stories you hear. Not trying to be self congratulatory but just reemphasize that people's reactions to brain meds are highly varied and personal. If you're in a hole and need help, don't let fears of possible side effects stop you from trying medication.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

make an inventory of yr damage

get an actual pen and paper (unless yr disabled and can’t ofc but if you can pls do) and make a list of the things that make you sad, make you angry, make you anxious, past traumas, things you’ve gone through that you can’t forget, invasive thoughts, shame, all of it.

This has helped me tremendously. You wouldn't think something so simple would have such an effect, but writing or typing out your thoughts makes them feel more real. It can totally be rough, but having them out of your head somewhere physical makes it easier to review and confront what's really troubling you. I'd also sometimes do stream of consciousness rants, print them out, and give them to my counselor when I visited. Basically to give her more material to understand how I was feeling and to cover myself in case there were things I thought I might lose the nerve to bring up on the spot during an appointment.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

this thread got me back to therapy after a months-long lapse

:neckbeard:

I live for poo poo like this it’s like breaking the wheel of reincarnation

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Welp after my whole meltdown ex GF visit was fine. She brought me presents from everyone :unsmith:

I'm getting real good at working myself into a fuckin breakdown though.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Mackers posted:

Welp after my whole meltdown ex GF visit was fine. She brought me presents from everyone :unsmith:

I'm getting real good at working myself into a fuckin breakdown though.

Glad to hear things went well! And I feel you on the working yourself up bit. Catastrophising is a hard habit to break.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
waiting on my psychiatrist to contact me with a prescription for a new antidepressant because the max doses of fluoxentine and welbutrin aren't fuckin doin it

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Glad to hear things went well! And I feel you on the working yourself up bit. Catastrophising is a hard habit to break.

Thanks man. Even when I'm being daft some commiseration helps.

Not used to my emotions flying the gently caress off the handle like they've been doing lately and I'm fuckin bad at dealing with it

E: Reminded me of my mom telling me once that anxiety was "all in my mind". She wasn't expecting the "what the gently caress else am I?!" uhh sorry mom I was an even angstier teen

Mackers has issued a correction as of 00:11 on Mar 13, 2019

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

waiting on my psychiatrist to contact me with a prescription for a new antidepressant because the max doses of fluoxentine and welbutrin aren't fuckin doin it

It's possible the ones you're taking have just pooped out. It just happened to me these past couple months; it felt like things were getting way worse for no reason, but only because effexor was rapidly becoming less effective for me. Started transitioning to a different ssri and it's like night and loving day, even while I'm cutting back on my old one. It will get better soon, hang in there :unsmith:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just took a continuous week off of reading the trump thread and a more-or-less news sabbatical. poo poo did wonders for my mood, tbh

obviously checking in with your doctor is the right move, but unplugging for a bit may help, too.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Need to get back working, get a proper psych and get back on meds.

I thought I could just muscle through all of my poo poo. Recent events have proven that to be a fuckin lie lol

oh and I gotta do one of them mood tracking apps since that's apparently v good for you

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

juche avocado posted:

my brainzaps were debilitating for a few days and extremely annoying for the remainder of the week or two i had to be off meds

I'd be standing up trying to do work or whatever and I'd have to sit down because i lost my sense of balance concurrent with the escalation of pain in my brain until their twinned climax and the re-expansion of my capacity of consciousness to the room I'm occupying

A Spherical Sponge posted:

When I trialled some venlafaxine a year ago or so for depression, I got quite bad brain zaps on the second day. The night before I had horrible and very vivid nightmares where I thought I was going insane, and then when I woke up I was terrified and dizzy, and started getting brain zaps while lying in bed which were incredibly disorienting.

It was like a mental discontinuity and then an explosion like shock sensation right in the centre of my brain that just completely fried my mind on a very basic level, accompanied with a jolt of adrenaline.

That's way, way worse than any zaps I ever experienced

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Eat This Glob posted:

I just took a continuous week off of reading the trump thread and a more-or-less news sabbatical. poo poo did wonders for my mood, tbh

obviously checking in with your doctor is the right move, but unplugging for a bit may help, too.

honestly laughing about TRUNP is the only regular source of actual happiness I have left, as horrible as the lows are

I don't even like drinking anymore

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

That's way, way worse than any zaps I ever experienced

I'd get horrible sleep-paralysis nightmares if my doses weren't done at the right times every day. Downside to extended release I guess.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
I could feel it coming too.

It'd turned into this feeling of "ah gently caress it's punishment time"

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

honestly laughing about TRUNP is the only regular source of actual happiness I have left, as horrible as the lows are

I don't even like drinking anymore

I don;t think TURMAPin affects me too much. It makes me fuckin furious but I was a nihilist weirdo before he came along.

The drinking is bad though.

Mackers has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Mar 13, 2019

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
vortioxetine is pretty good. it is also shown to improve your cognitive abilities. works differently than other antidepressants.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

cspam: “recent studies show insuffilating an entire kilo of coke will help with your dysthymia”

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

cspam: “recent studies show insuffilating an entire kilo of coke will help with your dysthymia”

i'm p sure it would for a while!

just need a prescription for a kilo of coke a week. where my capitalist doctors at

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

A Spherical Sponge posted:

It was like a mental discontinuity and then an explosion like shock sensation right in the centre of my brain that just completely fried my mind on a very basic level, accompanied with a jolt of adrenaline. There would be like an afterglow for a few seconds where I would slowly reconstitute my ability to make sense of where I was and what I was perceiving through my senses. It was very unpleasant and kind of terrifying, and they came on every 5-15 minutes or so for about an hour and a half after I'd woken up. I got some smaller ones later in the day too which weren't as severe but still very disorienting.

you did a better job of describing it than i did, friend

i experienced essentially exactly this it suuuuuuuuucked

holy gently caress i forgot about the dreams

(this was experienced thanks to withdrawal, not thanks to trying out a new med)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The only times I've had weird dreams coming off or on any meds was when I take a melatonin/atarax cocktail to fight insomnia.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Poniard posted:

I wanted a cat but I feel like I would have to furnish the living area properly so the cat would have somewhere to hang out other than my room
Keep in mind that "proper furnishings" for a cat mostly means "leave a bunch of boxes laying around"

Equeen posted:

it's been an embarrassingly long since i've read a book, but i'll try to go to my local library this weekend. i kinda want to get into sewing/weaving, but i don't trust myself to not treat it as a passing fad.
You could also try cross-stitching -- they even make little kits that include all the stuff you need to make one :3
Or knitting/crochet, if you need a challenge

Chokes McGee posted:

passing fads are okay! you have to try something before you know you like it, and the ultimate point is to just try something brand new. don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t work out, you had fun (I assume) trying it.
:shobon: thanks for saying this. I started to get into crochet but found that in the learning phase, the amount of focus it required from me was literally exhausting. I hope I can pick it up again someday.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

The only times I've had weird dreams coming off or on any meds was when I take a melatonin/atarax cocktail to fight insomnia.

I was on Seroquel for years and on the nights I could sleep I always had very long, vivid, complicated dreams that I remembered parts of the next day. I've never had dreams like that before or since. One of the first times this happened, I dreamed that I was in my grassy backyard and there were koi-sized goldfish swimming in the air about 6 inches above the grass and I remember thinking that I'd never seen such bright colors in my dreams. Sometimes I'd be an entirely different person in the dream and wake up with a sort of momentary identity disorientation. Sometimes the dreams were cinematic, as if the view perspective would change and I saw myself moving in a building cutout.

The hangover from Seroquel is like nothing else, though. You have to fight for a couple of hours just to clear your head.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

I was on Seroquel for years and on the nights I could sleep I always had very long, vivid, complicated dreams that I remembered parts of the next day. I've never had dreams like that before or since. One of the first times this happened, I dreamed that I was in my grassy backyard and there were koi-sized goldfish swimming in the air about 6 inches above the grass and I remember thinking that I'd never seen such bright colors in my dreams. Sometimes I'd be an entirely different person in the dream and wake up with a sort of momentary identity disorientation. Sometimes the dreams were cinematic, as if the view perspective would change and I saw myself moving in a building cutout.

The hangover from Seroquel is like nothing else, though. You have to fight for a couple of hours just to clear your head.

gently caress, yeah. Meds re the only thing that can make me dream I'm someone else.

Once on meds had a dream about a water covered world where I was a vampire. But not just any vampire

In this world you could gain the attributes of creatures by remembering the taste of their blood.

It lasted what felt like a month.

E; then I woke up and thought "what?gently caress really."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mackers posted:

In this world you could gain the attributes of creatures by remembering the taste of their blood.

It lasted what felt like a month.

I've got some news you may or may not want to hear

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

hey uh

some of the biggest advice i can give you all is

dont stop taking your meds

did you stop? don't

thinking about stopping? don't

I suddenly feel much better i dont need these anymore? uhhh why do you think youre feeling better, duder???? its the meds at least a lot of it is

don't stop

oh god don't stop

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

well yeah i didn't mean to

it was an accidental set of circumstances that i allowed to fester before blooming into terribleness as a natural outgrowth of the sadbrains the meds are part of trying to ameliorate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Eat This Glob posted:

brain zaps aren't a thing I've heard of and I'm on escitalopram and plan to be until my doctor tells me otherwise or i die, but for my edification can someone describe the sensation?

im on wellbutin too and know there is some seizure risk if i stop taking that suddenly. let's say im kidnapped by a very dumb ransom seeker and i cant take my antidepressant. what could i expect from possible brain zaps?

I've never had brain zaps but I have been on Wellbutrin and as far as I know it isn't a seizure risk on discontinuation. It's mostly the titration where you see that and it's very rare. The study that showed seizure risk was in a high dose that's no longer prescribed (600mg) and it was mostly people who were prescribed it for eating disorder management.

The half life of Wellbutrin is crazy long as well. From the last dose it takes about 7-10 days to leave your system so missing one dose won't be the end of the world.