Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gynovore posted:

Eh. I don't claim to be an expert on Islam, but from what I've heard, alcohol and extramarital sex are BIG no-nos.

Get this but Muslims are people too! And some of them chose how closely they want to follow the teachings of the Koran, just like people in other religions. And if they don't want to follow the teachings of Koran and drink and party and have wild orgies that's okay too (unless you live in some theocractic country in which case you might be screwed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No everybody knows all Muslims want sharia law and lust for white genocide

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Not one, not two, but THREE IndieGoGos for Cyberfrog!

https://twitter.com/AGramuglia/status/1105541358515879936

There's no way this ships in May. Folks realize he hasn't actually written the story/dialogue yet?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean there's a big ol' difference between "Real actual human Muslim does this poo poo IRL" and "fictional Muslim written by a non-Muslim does this in a story."

One is a human being with agency, the other is being dictated entirely by someone else.

Sort of like how there are definitely women with big tiddies who wear (or at one time wore) 90s crop top baby doll tees and low-rise jeans and thongs, but you still have a point if you side-eye an artist for making that a character design.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Puppy Time posted:

I mean there's a big ol' difference between "Real actual human Muslim does this poo poo IRL" and "fictional Muslim written by a non-Muslim does this in a story."

One is a human being with agency, the other is being dictated entirely by someone else.

Sort of like how there are definitely women with big tiddies who wear (or at one time wore) 90s crop top baby doll tees and low-rise jeans and thongs, but you still have a point if you side-eye an artist for making that a character design.

True, but you also got to be careful of having your characters become stereotypes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Let's not let anything distract from the fact that Monet is objectively a terrible character though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Let's not let anything distract from the fact that Monet is objectively a terrible character though

I think she's decent when the writer really leans into her being loving insufferable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

There's no way this ships in May. Folks realize he hasn't actually written the story/dialogue yet?

I genuinely don't know. I would guess most of them don't care - somebody in Renfamous' timeline made the particularly bold flex they supported the Indiegogos in the past in such high numbers so they wouldn't HAVE to work (yeah, I know) - but Ethan will proudly tell anybody who'll listen there's no dialogue written, nor even really a script, because there doesn't need to be.

Panels from Jon Malin's Graveyard Shift are also in the wild and guess what! It's also a piece of crap that laughs in the very face of CG's claim they were making 'high-end collector-grade comics.'

That dude drew a hand on an arm backwards. Otherwise it's grossly extended a few inches shy of where the arm on an actual person connects to the shoulder.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Also, not for nothin', but "infactuation" isn't a word.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spell check is for sjws

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Maybe it's supposed to be an 'cute' accent/malaprop like Madea always saying "hellur" and "good afternoont". I know dog whistles can be frustrating but in this case I'm all for it because:

a) It makes them look kind of dumb to the uninitiated (which to be fair, so do garden variety misspellings) BUT
b) It makes them easier to identify as shitbags

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
https://twitter.com/sjwspiderman/status/1105568432005750784?s=21

Is Jon Malin trying to get fired or is it the freedom of knowing people will buy this just to try and make liberals mad.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe it's supposed to be an 'cute' accent/malaprop like Madea always saying "hellur" and "good afternoont". I know dog whistles can be frustrating but in this case I'm all for it because:

a) It makes them look kind of dumb to the uninitiated (which to be fair, so do garden variety misspellings) BUT
b) It makes them easier to identify as shitbags

I assumed it was some kind of pun, mainly because the alternative of him thinking it's spelled that way makes me sad.

Also why didn't he shade those fingernails?

ETA:

TheHan posted:

https://twitter.com/sjwspiderman/status/1105568432005750784?s=21

Is Jon Malin trying to get fired or is it the freedom of knowing people will buy this just to try and make liberals mad.

I wouldn't have noticed the sharks, and if I did I would've been fine with assuming it was part of the "mutated" thing and they were just messed-up sharks.

There is no excuse for that hand, though. Absolutely none.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 13, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/nealadamsdotcom/status/1105617781989478400

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the first part:

https://twitter.com/nealadamsdotcom/status/1105336163521441792

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Gynovore posted:

Eh. I don't claim to be an expert on Islam, but from what I've heard, alcohol and extramarital sex are BIG no-nos.

You're right about one thing cause you sure aren't an expert on Islam.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Here's a trick I've learned: look at a religion you ARE familiar with (probably Christianity in the US). Not only are there a bunch of different sects with different overall ways of looking at whatever the religion's core beliefs are (they may not even agree on which beliefs are core), but there are people with different levels of observance within those sects, and all of them are 'proper' from a certain viewpoint. There are plenty of actual Catholics who don't go Full Catholic.

Now look at the religions you aren't familiar with. Their congregations are just as varied, but since you're on the outside looking in you just see whatever gets broadcast about them. That's usually extremism and/or hard-line orthodoxy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't try to drag Neal Adams in your culture wars, you jerks, he's got enough problems.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Neal Adams believes the Earth is expanding and scientists are covering it up because reasons

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Puppy Time posted:

Neal Adams believes the Earth is expanding and scientists are covering it up because reasons

That's one of the problems!!!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Got 99 problems but plate tectonics ain't one

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I kinda have to respect the rare cuckoo-bananas conspiracy theory still around that doesn't somehow slide into "and this is because of homosexuals" so, you know, little things.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

I think it's a huge difference between writing female characters who's defining traits are her boobs and writing a muslim character that doesn't follow every religious rule.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I think it's a huge difference between writing female characters who's defining traits are her boobs and writing a muslim character that doesn't follow every religious rule.

OK but my point was that the existence of an unorthodox Muslimah IRL doesn't necessarily mean it's cool and good to write one in your capes comics. Like, in general.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I kinda have to respect the rare cuckoo-bananas conspiracy theory still around that doesn't somehow slide into "and this is because of homosexuals" so, you know, little things.

Yeah like at least he's going big loud crazy, and not "my sense of inferiority has made me believe anything that explains my failures"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Puppy Time posted:

OK but my point was that the existence of an unorthodox Muslimah IRL doesn't necessarily mean it's cool and good to write one in your capes comics. Like, in general.

Why? The cheesecake characters you mentioned are cheesecake for a reason-- namely, the cheap titillation of the presumed adolescent male reader. It's a kind of spectacle dressed up like a character. Is a Muslim character who isn't orthodox really a useful parallel? Ms. Marvel is a good example-- her solo title in particular shows a functional and loving community of Muslims who are varying degrees of observant, without passing judgement on any point in that spectrum. Granted, G. Willow Wilson is a practicing Muslim, but nuance and subtlety isn't the same as cultural appropriation. It would be far more worrying if non-Muslim writers were obligated to confine themselves to reducing Muslim life to the representation of a relatively narrow subset of religious practices, when every Muslim in real life is so much more than that.

Just for fun I looked up the 2017 Pew Religious Landscape Survey. The RLS has served as the backbone of a number of studies I've drawn on professionally and it has a solid reputation as far as surveys go, so let's see. According to Pew, of the polled Muslim-Americans, 65% say that religion is "very important" in their daily lives, 8 out of 10 fast during Ramadan, and over half say that "there is more than one true way to interpret Islam," and over half also responded that "traditional understandings of the faith" sometimes require reinterpretation to address contemporary problems. Only 4 out of 10 attend religious services at least once a week, ditto making all five daily prayers, although 6 out of 10 report praying at least once per day. 4 out of 10 Muslim-American women report "always or usually" wearing hijab, and 42% responded that they never do. Only 48% reponded that eating halal food is important to their religious identity. 1 in 5 are converts. More American-Muslim immigrants come from South Asia than the Middle East/North Africa or elsewhere, Pakistan having the most representation. And of course many of these statistics break down further depending on whether one is Sunni or Shiite, a first-generation immigrant or not, level of education, economic class, etc..

My point is that there is no one "accurate" way to represent a Muslim-American, and to insist on a very specific image of traditional piety as the "correct" image is offensive and profoundly wrongheaded. There's an incredible amount of biographical and spiritual variance between, say, Saladin Ahmed and G. Willow Wilson and Ilhan Omar and Mos Def and Hanif Abdurraqib and Shirin Neshat and Art Blakey and Melody Moezzi-- why shouldn't fictional Muslims be permitted such variety?

Also, I don't know what on earth Gynovore means by "they (Peter David? Scott Lobdell? Who is 'they'?) decided to make M Muslim because why the heck not." She was established almost immediately in the mid-90s as a French-Algerian woman visibly coded as a PoC, born in Bosnia, it's a safe bet she was never intended to be a loving Methodist.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 13, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

Also, I don't know on earth Gynovore means by "they (Peter David? Scott Lobdell? Who is 'they'?) decided to make M Muslim because why the heck not." She was established almost immediately in the mid-90s as a French-Algerian woman visibly coded as a PoC, born in Bosnia, it's a safe bet she was never intended to be a loving Methodist.

But her name is Monet St. Croix! That ain't no Muslim name!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know it was pre CG but was there any rear end in a top hat outcry to Faiza Hussain becoming the wielder of Excalibur (and alternate reality Captain Britain)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

I know it was pre CG but was there any rear end in a top hat outcry to Faiza Hussain becoming the wielder of Excalibur (and alternate reality Captain Britain)

Probably, but I honestly don't think many people ever read it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Puppy Time posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

Was he the guy who did that Batman comic with Bman blasting up a train using handguns, and everyone pulling the most bizarre faces ever?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Samovar posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

Was he the guy who did that Batman comic with Bman blasting up a train using handguns, and everyone pulling the most bizarre faces ever?

He is also quite a classic Batman and Green Lantern artist but he is mostly known these days because of the Odyssey, yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1105826827476578304

That's... uh... yeah.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

site posted:

No everybody knows all Muslims want sharia law and lust for white genocide

I'm a little late here, but as as a muslim I can verify this is true.

BrianWilly posted:

This is also true.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

OK bro I'm not saying "Never write anyone unorthodox," I'm just saying "People like that exist" is not inherently a good defense in the case of a non-(whatever minority) writing a (whatever minority), particularly in the case where said minority is the only example visible in a work, because characters are subject to an author's intent. That's all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Why not? Why not reflect the reality that islam is not a mono culture where everybody follow the same rules or wear the same type of clothing?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dawgstar posted:

That's... uh... yeah.

I know the answer to this already, but: why is every mouth full of nothing but incisors?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know the answer to this already, but: why is every mouth full of nothing but incisors?

In is weird, even though I think the book is about vampires. Enough about teeth, though. Let's talk about hands.

https://twitter.com/random_tourist/status/1105833188566417408

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's not like you have to have a solid grasp of basic human anatomy to get a job drawing superheroes though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

In is weird, even though I think the book is about vampires. Enough about teeth, though. Let's talk about hands.

https://twitter.com/random_tourist/status/1105833188566417408

That plot doesn't sound like it has anything at all in common with the X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Why not? Why not reflect the reality that islam is not a mono culture where everybody follow the same rules or wear the same type of clothing?

Puppy Time posted:

OK bro I'm not saying "Never write anyone unorthodox," I'm just saying "People like that exist" is not inherently a good defense in the case of a non-(whatever minority) writing a (whatever minority), particularly in the case where said minority is the only example visible in a work, because characters are subject to an author's intent. That's all.