Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Getting the poo poo kicked out of them by the northern half of the country who weren't even fielding all of their forces is basically the only thing the south has going for it. Handily losing a war to the north is best thing that ever happened to them.

getting the poo poo kicked out of them in the war then utterly owning the entire country during the failed reconstruction lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The Bloop posted:

It's weird because the General Lee is a cool (anti)hero car buuut it has that symbol on it and even if you took that off, the name is problematic, and if you took both of those off, it would just be an orange car with non-functional doors

It's just a relic of worser times

May I introduce you to the General Grant?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

May I introduce you to the General Grant?

Mixed feelings, but general approval, thanks.

Maybe a :killdozer: named Sherman's March

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
A 60's Continental, call it Lincoln the Grappler.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Did you never notice that lambs have tails?

Lambs have tails.

When humans bread them to be big puffy fluffballs, that meant poo poo gets matter into their fluffy-wuffy tail curls. Gets infected and kills them.

Not that it's good to have bread something you need slice its tail off of every animal. But better then dying a literal rotten rear end death?

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Best thing since sliced bred.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pastry of the Year posted:

as a TV-poisoned wee one I missed the fact that they were always hitting ramps or whatever and was absolutely convinced that the General Lee (and, by extension, all cars) were able to jump on command, and I would get extremely mad at my mother for "not pressing the jump button"

I have to wonder about your upbringing, what with the pastries and all.

Also gimme some of that DOMATION please!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If you ever get the opportunity to see the mid-00's Knight Rider series, I highly recommend it. It's some goofy C-grade poo poo. :munch:

Actually starts getting outright-decent too towards the end of its run before it got (pretty justifiably) cancelled.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

I used to watch it here in Australia when I was a kid even though we don't have anything like 'state lines' or moonshine or elected sheriffs so it didn't really make much sense. I had no loving idea what the Confederate flag stood for, to me it was just a pattern of shapes painted on the car. I know different now!

Same, I'm a Canadian and Dukes of Hazzard was just a funny 80s show I watched as a kid. I had zero idea there was so much controversy attached to it, I don't remember the show being racist but I was young and probably didn't pick up on it.

I apologize my for my ignorance of American history. And I'm sorry so many people in the country are filled stupid hate.

Wikipedia needs a "list of popular things that are actually racist" for oblivious foreigners like me.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

dumb. posted:

Same, I'm a Canadian and Dukes of Hazzard was just a funny 80s show I watched as a kid. I had zero idea there was so much controversy attached to it, I don't remember the show being racist but I was young and probably didn't pick up on it.
[/timg]

To your defense, the show never was racist, they just used a racist rear end flag on the roof of their car. There was no controversy because until recently, most people for whatever reason thought having a symbol of a bunch of racist assholes was okay.
The movie, for it's many faults, did at least make fun of the flag being a lovely symbol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7v8vQpmZg

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Mar 13, 2019

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody in that picture was a year older than 35.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To most people outside of the US, that Confederate flag is just another generic American symbol. I knew a girl who had a Confederate poster in her room. When I made a remark, she said she hadn't known at the time that it was a controversial symbol, and I guess it would have been a bother to take it down

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Phlegmish posted:

To most people outside of the US, that Confederate flag is just another generic American symbol. I knew a girl who had a Confederate poster in her room. When I made a remark, she said she hadn't known at the time that it was a controversial symbol, and I guess it would have been a bother to take it down

There is an American-themed restaurant in Lanark, Scotland called Route 36. Here is a photo posted on their Facebook page by a customer:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That's just gross and disrespectful to customers. Leave your spawn at home.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Lurkman posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody in that picture was a year older than 35.

Agreed. Angry white people age terribly

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

There is an American-themed restaurant in Lanark, Scotland called Route 36. Here is a photo posted on their Facebook page by a customer:

us route 36 doesn't even touch a southern state. the closest it gets is northern missouri <:mad:>

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

luxury handset posted:

us route 36 doesn't even touch a southern state. the closest it gets is northern missouri <:mad:>

Yanks are yanks, the compass doesn't come into it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeehaw!

Its the same reason North on the compass always points up.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

dumb. posted:

Wikipedia needs a "list of popular things that are actually racist" for oblivious foreigners like me.

That would be actually pretty useful

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Mixed feelings, but general approval, thanks.

Maybe a :killdozer: named Sherman's March

Yeah, nah, I feel you on that. Maybe it’s just me, but for me, the orange of the General Lee is part of what makes it pop, and that just doesn’t happen on this one. Sherman’s March needs to happen though. Yes.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/629812543301808128

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

haters gonna hate

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aw, I got all excited but the article is from 2015. :(

Edit: other bugnuts crazy Americana crytpids include the Texas Goatman, the Maryland Goatman and Kentucky's Pope Lick Goatman

dumb. posted:

So many things are racist, or at least dot point internet articles like to claim that they're racist: https://bestlifeonline.com/offensive-sayings/

Apparently the phrases "long time no see" and "no can do" are racist????

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Mar 13, 2019

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

dumb. posted:

I apologize my for my ignorance of American history. And I'm sorry so many people in the country are filled stupid hate.

Well for starters I've got bad news about milkshake yogurt grandpa.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Edit: Shoulda reloaded. Beaten.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Mar 13, 2019

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Oh no, someone fed that sheep after midnight.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I said no hate symbols :can:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Aw, I got all excited but the article is from 2015. :(

Edit: other bugnuts crazy Americana crytpids include the Texas Goatman, the Maryland Goatman and Kentucky's Pope Lick Goatman

So many things are racist, or at least dot point internet articles like to claim that they're racist: https://bestlifeonline.com/offensive-sayings/

I can't go for that...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Phanatic posted:

Edit: Shoulda reloaded. Beaten.

did you post the same sheep and cats picture?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've never run into anyone with a problem with those. Both are from pidgin spoken between English speaking and Chinese merchants a hundred plus years ago. As in both sides using them. Problem is, of course, if people think it's racist mockery then "well actually..." isn't gonna make you any friends.

VVV Hurrah, boys, hurrah etc

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Mar 13, 2019

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Getting the poo poo kicked out of them by the northern half of the country who weren't even fielding all of their forces is basically the only thing the south has going for it. Handily losing a war to the north is best thing that ever happened to them.

Shelby Foote said the Union won the war with one hand tied behind it's back

Union forever

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Did SA invent this one?

quote:

man woman looking at phones offended shocked
“Basket Case”

This saying for a person who has difficulty coping was first used during World War I to describe a person who had lost all four limbs.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

"Basket case" is one of the only things that list got right. All but two or three of the others are massively overreaching or outright debunked urban legends.

Gnoman has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Mar 13, 2019

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm not an expert but someone told me that "anyone who lives closer to Vermont than you is a Yank"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wouldn't insult Yankees by calling people from the Midwest Yankees

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cyberbug posted:

I'm not an expert but someone told me that "anyone who lives closer to Vermont than you is a Yank"

Anyone who lives North of Mexico is a Yank.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I can't go for that...

i understood this reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

cyberbug posted:

I live in Australia, does this mean that almost the entire world is yanks?