Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is probably going to be one of their $100+ models? This looks so incredibly intimidating to assemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

I said come in! posted:

This is probably going to be one of their $100+ models? This looks so incredibly intimidating to assemble.

Worth it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I guess this is where sub-assembly painting comes into play, but yea painting / assembling that beast looks awful.

Looks cool as poo poo, but I'd hate myself if I bought it :downs:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Discordant is absolutely gorgeous and he fits the theme of my planned army to a T. Pair him with a MoP and just march a column of daemon engines down the field.

Sab669 posted:

I guess this is where sub-assembly painting comes into play, but yea painting / assembling that beast looks awful.

Honestly the only sub I plan is keeping the rider and beast separate, the rest shouldn't be too terrible. It at least doesn't match the Heldrake is terms of "why did I use plastic glue on this"

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Goddamn it. I wanted to avoid getting pulled back into CSM, but there’s no way I can escape that model. Such a wonderful buff/debug for vehicles too, man.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Painting it doesn't look too bad to me, but sub-assembly and painting individual parts is a good idea. It looks to be mostly a lot of abandon black and balthasar gold for its paint. Very straight forward to paint and it would probably be far more interesting to just use your own color scheme. The highlighting looks like a painful amount of work though. This dude does look awesome, but I don't think I would want to buy it, I'm afraid I would just ruin the model somehow.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Super glad I finished with my Death Guard army in time for all this incredible Black Legion stuff. Because hot drat do I like just about everything I’m seeing so far.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I like how the man has a face made out of skeleton but his robot has a face made out of meat.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

It looks to be mostly a lot of abandon black and balthasar gold for its paint.

I meant in a "trying to get my brush in the nooks and crannies" sense rather than color scheme.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
If you prime in retributor and fill in in black, you don't have to do so many delicate bits. You can shade the gold to the tone you like and then just build up the big solid black bits. Very helpful for rubric marines, the same technique would do well here.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

I'd love to see goons start posting on that forum en mass. Bet we could make some of the worst posters permanently ragequit within a few weeks.

The problem is that a bunch of the really bad posters are the mods.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hey nerds I want some spikey bois, so come buy my space bugs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884447

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

I said come in! posted:

I'd guess around 60-70.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I wasn't necessarily sold on the Forgefiend and Heldrake daemon-engine look when they dropped but these new releases are fuckin cool and the new CSM have a ton more character than the non-Chosen spiky marines have had in like two decades.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

You question how a chain axe could possibly function? Behold the chain halberd! With a fixed lead edge.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Whoever was asking about the finecast Heavy Destroyer kit: it's loving bullshit. I bought one from the website and the 3" long railgun was all wavy. Everyone said "just soak it in hot water and straighten it" bullshit in 2019. A squad of 6 destroyers is better anyways against everything under T7, shoot anything tougher with a Doomsday Ark

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Cage Kicker posted:

Whoever was asking about the finecast Heavy Destroyer kit: it's loving bullshit. I bought one from the website and the 3" long railgun was all wavy. Everyone said "just soak it in hot water and straighten it" bullshit in 2019. A squad of 6 destroyers is better anyways against everything under T7, shoot anything tougher with a Doomsday Ark

2019 hasn't changed anything about resin warping or the economy of making molds to cast in plastic. Straightening resin isn't particularly hard.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Maneck posted:

You question how a chain axe could possibly function? Behold the chain halberd! With a fixed lead edge.

Hopefully it's a chain glave like old night lords

Cage Kicker posted:

It's gauss :eng99:

But yes, soak in nearly boiling water. Take out with tongs. Put it on your counter or desk with someone pressed against it (or do it with your hands) until cooled. Almost every Necron character is finecast, plus Tesseract arks and stuff from FW, obviously, so you should just get comfortable doing it before you get any named characters with staves.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Booley posted:

2019 hasn't changed anything about resin warping or the economy of making molds to cast in plastic. Straightening resin isn't particularly hard.

What are the biggest differences between casting plastic and resin from a manufacturing standpoint? Is it mostly that your plastic mold has to be able to deal with really high temps and your resin one doesn't?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Which is fine cast and which is not? Resin and plastic?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Inspector_666 posted:

What are the biggest differences between casting plastic and resin from a manufacturing standpoint? Is it mostly that your plastic mold has to be able to deal with really high temps and your resin one doesn't?

As far as molds go: Plastic is under high pressure and heat. Resin is poured under room temp.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Your plastic mold is CNCed out of steel and costs tens of thousands and is used in a fancy expensive machine.

Your resin mold is made out of silicone, costs $10, and can be made and used by hand or with nothing more than maybe a centrifuge and vacuum chamber.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Though I don't have any clue what sort of resin they use/used for finecast, in my experience any given resin will cure around 90% of the way in a given time. That last 10% will take an additional twice as long.

Having straightened my way through more finecast Necrons than I care to recall, I imagine the warping is at least partially due to GW considering that 90% to be good enough and quick enough.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Cage Kicker posted:

That was me and yeah... :(

I would rather die than assemble a second doomsday ark. I haven't even tried to unfuck my Cryptek yet.

Gonna go with the kitbashed heavy destroyer using Immortal parts.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Booley posted:

Your plastic mold is CNCed out of steel and costs tens of thousands and is used in a fancy expensive machine.

Your resin mold is made out of silicone, costs $10, and can be made and used by hand or with nothing more than maybe a centrifuge and vacuum chamber.

Oh dang, I didn't realize that even at GW volume it was that simple to do resin casting, that makes a lot more sense now.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm still not sure if I buy the "plastic molds are way too expensive for GW to update sculpts" since they do limited run plastic Space Marine minis frequently.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Pretty much all limited run miniatures are in resin. I'm struggling to think of one over the past few years that wasn't.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

I'm still not sure if I buy the "plastic molds are way too expensive for GW to update sculpts" since they do limited run plastic Space Marine minis frequently.

Marines outsell every other range by a significant margin.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I feel sheepish asking for this, because it was requested previously to the point of being a thread joke, but I just can't find it.

Does anyone have a link to that write up on how that guy did this sick ocean side tau bases? Just got into another army they'd be perfect for.

NightWonder
Nov 15, 2015

"I Use Psychic To Put Stuff In The Toilet."

I said come in! posted:

I can already feel the spikes digging into my skin as I glue it together.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NightWonder posted:

I can already feel the spikes digging into my skin as I glue it together.

The loving Myphitic Blight-Hauler is the pointiest thing I've ever held, and I've held sea urchins.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I recently assembled a Heldrake for the first time and it legit feels dangerous to hold.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I feel sheepish asking for this, because it was requested previously to the point of being a thread joke, but I just can't find it.

Does anyone have a link to that write up on how that guy did this sick ocean side tau bases? Just got into another army they'd be perfect for.

its k, I have a pre-written set of the instructions:

The sand is Vallejo grey sand with the waves sculpted by dragging the GW spade-thing sideways through the wet paste (basically make it look wavy), then after priming it is painted pallid wych flesh, washed agrax, and drybrushed white scar. The water is Vallejo still water with a little sotek green mixed in, then use an overloaded drybrush of white scar ensuring that the streaks of foam are perpendicular to the coast. The plants are the GW ones painted castellan/straken/waagh flesh followed by athonian camoshade, drybrushed with ogryn camo.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What size base do you guys think the Discordant is on? I think the size of the thing is deceptive - it's definitely smaller than its presence makes it appear in pictures.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Deified Data posted:

What size base do you guys think the Discordant is on? I think the size of the thing is deceptive - it's definitely smaller than its presence makes it appear in pictures.

Riptide/Haruspex/Exocrine base, 115x70 I think.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Quite honestly one of the most badass 40k models ever. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Folks in the cancerous CSM FB group thinking this guy is gonna be below 10 wounds...

Intentionally setting themselves up to have something to complain about later or do they have a point?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's no way a Daemon Engine HQ ends up under 12 wounds.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah 12 is a solid standard for a lot of large models, maybe 14. Less would be doubtful (especially under 10, for character targeting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

The loving Myphitic Blight-Hauler is the pointiest thing I've ever held, and I've held sea urchins.

Death Guard are very painful to put together.